PDA

View Full Version : Kind of disappointed with "Fan Appreciation" Day.

Region Sox
09-27-2004, 11:45 AM
I think this is the second time I have made the last game of the season in the new park- I went 3 times in the old park and have also been to the last home game in places like Milwuakee and Cincinnati. I have been for other sports like the Blackhawks the last two seasons.

Anyway I had not been to a White Sox "Fan Appreciation" Day in maybe 6 years, but what I remember from the Sox and other places is that they THANK the fans for their support this season. I remember they would give away the rest of the giveaways- leftovers- posters, hats, shirts, etc. and then have the drawings for the prizes between innings. Different tickets every time. Well yesterday we didn't get anything other than the ESPNZone coupon when we entered. Then they start showing the raffle numbers- or ticket numbers as the Sox are batting. I think they replayed the same 20 numbers, 3 of which had no one sitting in them in our section or surrounding section.

OK no giveaways but the team didn't even give props to the fans- Garland when he left to a standing crowd didn't tip his hat, then after the W the team high fived and left. I remember before maybe sign an autograph or waive- SOMETHING. I was at Milwuakee's last game of the year about 7 years ago and I remember the Brewers players coming back out to the field and signing autographs, posing for pictures, throwing equipment into the stands... NO JOKE! Dave Nillson came out and threw an entire set of catcher's gear, mask, shinguards and all into the crowd! I know the Sox have their garage sale but it was still cool.

Tekijawa
09-27-2004, 12:12 PM
... throwing equipment into the stands... NO JOKE! Dave Nillson came out and threw an entire set of catcher's gear, mask, shinguards and all into the crowd! I know the Sox have their garage sale but it was still cool.
We traded the only guy who was nice enough to throw something into the stands for the fans... I believe hes getting sued right now.

Kogs35
09-27-2004, 12:24 PM
I think this is the second time I have made the last game of the season in the new park- I went 3 times in the old park and have also been to the last home game in places like Milwuakee and Cincinnati. I have been for other sports like the Blackhawks the last two seasons.

Anyway I had not been to a White Sox "Fan Appreciation" Day in maybe 6 years, but what I remember from the Sox and other places is that they THANK the fans for their support this season. I remember they would give away the rest of the giveaways- leftovers- posters, hats, shirts, etc. and then have the drawings for the prizes between innings. Different tickets every time. Well yesterday we didn't get anything other than the ESPNZone coupon when we entered. Then they start showing the raffle numbers- or ticket numbers as the Sox are batting. I think they replayed the same 20 numbers, 3 of which had no one sitting in them in our section or surrounding section.

OK no giveaways but the team didn't even give props to the fans- Garland when he left to a standing crowd didn't tip his hat, then after the W the team high fived and left. I remember before maybe sign an autograph or waive- SOMETHING. I was at Milwuakee's last game of the year about 7 years ago and I remember the Brewers players coming back out to the field and signing autographs, posing for pictures, throwing equipment into the stands... NO JOKE! Dave Nillson came out and threw an entire set of catcher's gear, mask, shinguards and all into the crowd! I know the Sox have their garage sale but it was still cool.did they hand out next years schedule?

HITMEN OF 77
09-27-2004, 12:39 PM
The team had to get to the airport and catch a flight to Detroit.

Region Sox
09-27-2004, 12:42 PM
No schedule, nothing. They put a message on a videoboard to call for season tickets. I am a bit bitter because the tickets I bought yesterday were part of my 9 game plan and then people could buy them for 1/2 price.

I was at Opening Day as well and Loazia acknowledged the fans while walking to the dugout from the bullpen. It was so cool since I was in the fourth row along the foul line. THAT was nice.

jackbrohamer
09-27-2004, 12:46 PM
There was virtually nothing to mark Fan Appreciation Day. They just gave out those lame ESPNZone coupons to people entering; they gave away prizes based on seat number but it was not worth the effort to keep watching the board.

Guess that tells you how much Sox management "appreciates" their fans.

Kogs35
09-27-2004, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=Region Sox]No scheduleQUOTE]

well im piecing the schedule together and lets all get excited for the tampa bay devil rays coming to the cell on july4th-6. happy 4th every1

eriqjaffe
09-27-2004, 01:05 PM
:reinsy
"I don't appreciate fans if they don't show up in groups of 19,000 or more."

duke of dorwood
09-27-2004, 01:57 PM
I quit going because they never lived up to what they promo'd regarding appreciation day.

NOTHING IS DONE THERE UNLESS ITS SPONSORED-

Tekijawa
09-27-2004, 01:59 PM
NOTHING IS DONE THERE UNLESS ITS SPONSORED-
Anyone want to sponsor a Baseball team?

Brian26
09-27-2004, 02:15 PM
There was virtually nothing to mark Fan Appreciation Day. They just gave out those lame ESPNZone coupons to people entering;

Haha. I used my coupon yesterday. Got a free $10 game card with my lunch at the Zone.

SSN721
09-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Anyone want to sponsor a Baseball team?

LOL very nice. I was thinking of going to the last home game a few weeks ago because I thought they might do a little something special or different, but now I am glad I decided to Trek up north for the Bears game instead. Sounds rather lame for a so-called fan appreciation day. Anyone showing up this late in the season after what we have all been through deserves a hell of a lot of appreciation.
:D:

LuvSox
09-27-2004, 04:49 PM
The team had to get to the airport and catch a flight to Detroit.
Big ****ing deal, they had to catch a 45 minute flight for a game that didn't start for another 24 hours. A few autographs wouldn't have killed them.

steff
09-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Big ****ing deal, they had to catch a 45 minute flight for a game that didn't start for another 24 hours. A few autographs wouldn't have killed them.
Yea.. big f'en deal. They don't make the flight schedule. The charter leaves when the charter leaves. They follow the schedule they are given. And your right.. it wouldn't have killed them. Several of them were outside gate 7 signing before they left. Those bastards.. :rolleyes:

Cellview22
09-27-2004, 05:20 PM
I was at the game yesterday too, and luckily I decided to walk over by the fan deck and spotted the line for the ATA drawing, where 20 fans will win a pair of ATA tickets good for anywhere in the continental US. They said the drawing is today, so I'm still waiting for the call :bandance: . I stood in line for maybe 20 minutes, and when you get to the front of the line, you spin a wheel, and if it lands on the spot with the entry sheet pasted on it, you get to fill out an entry form. It must've been my lucky day, because sure enough I was a winner, and now I'm in the drawing.

Did anyone else here spin the wheel?

Tekijawa
09-27-2004, 05:25 PM
And your right.. it wouldn't have killed them. Several of them were outside gate 7 signing before they left. Those bastards.. :rolleyes:
There's a gate 7? I would assume that's by the players parking lot but how do you get there?

steff
09-27-2004, 05:32 PM
There's a gate 7? I would assume that's by the players parking lot but how do you get there?

Walk.. :D:

It's on the way to the train, right before Wentworth on the right. Security will let you stand outside the fence and almost always - unless it's raining - several of the guys will stop and sign.

thepaulbowski
09-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Ahh yes, more whining.

:whiner:

Gosox1917
09-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Ahh yes, more whining.

:whiner:
Ahh yes, another person complaining about whining.

Frankfan4life
09-27-2004, 09:27 PM
I have to agree that sounds like a pretty lousy fan appreciation day. I went to the one in the Twinkiedome a few years ago and it was great. They kept throwing tee shirts into the stands and they had about 20 fans (winners) come out onto the field and the players presented each one with a gift (I can't remember what they got) but it was a pretty cool thing to do.

I was deciding whether to go to Sunday's game or Saturday's game. I went to Saturday's game instead. Now, I'm glad I did. At least I saw a good fireworks show.

LuvSox
09-27-2004, 09:28 PM
It's on the way to the train, right before Wentworth on the right. Security will let you stand outside the fence and almost always - unless it's raining - several of the guys will stop and sign.
And that has nothing to do with Fan Appreciation Day. Appreciation would be hanging around the field after the game. Appreciation would be scheduling a later flight so the fans can meet the players. Apparently only a handful of people know about gate 7.

steff
09-28-2004, 06:57 AM
And that has nothing to do with Fan Appreciation Day. Appreciation would be hanging around the field after the game. Appreciation would be scheduling a later flight so the fans can meet the players. Apparently only a handful of people know about gate 7.

It's right next to the Dan Ryan... how can you not know about it..??

The fans had 80 other games to meet the players. Many of then sign before every home game. Waiting until the last game of the year to get an autograph, and not getting it, and using the excuse that the Sox should have rescheduled their plane trip... is a bit weak, IMO, of course.

thepaulbowski
09-28-2004, 08:40 AM
It's right next to the Dan Ryan... how can you not know about it..??

The fans had 80 other games to meet the players. Many of then sign before every home game. Waiting until the last game of the year to get an autograph, and not getting it, and using the excuse that the Sox should have rescheduled their plane trip... is a bit weak, IMO, of course.
I've always wondered why there was a fenced in parking lot next to the stadium with a bunch of real expensive cars. I always thought the hot dog vendors were rolling in the money. :cool:

Jerko
09-28-2004, 08:57 AM
I never knew it was up to the players to decide what happens on fan appreciation day. I didn't go Sunday, but it sounds the same as all the fan appreciation days I've been to over the years. They put numbers on the board, you win a prize; did we think the players would come into the seats serving food and beverages? And that whole "they could have delayed their flight" point is pretty weak. You can meet the players at Soxfest or at various events throughout the season.

MikeKreevich
09-28-2004, 09:06 AM
I was disappointed too. I did see a White Sox player throw his cap in the stands as he let the field after the game. Another threw his batting gloves.

Jerko
09-28-2004, 09:08 AM
I was disappointed too. I did see a White Sox player throw his cap in the stands as he let the field after the game. Another threw his batting gloves.
They'll probably get fined for that

LuvSox
09-28-2004, 09:36 AM
And that whole "they could have delayed their flight" point is pretty weak.
Of course they're not going to delay their flight. The point is management could have scheduled a longer day at the park, had some post game activities. "Thanks for coming out and watching this crappy team all year." Then they could have had a later flight.

Sad
09-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Fan appreciation day is a joke anymore

and this day, of any, is the day they should make the effort to sign on and off the field... IMO of course :redneck

charter flight to Detroit...
thank Jah it's over.

Jerko
09-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Of course they're not going to delay their flight. The point is management could have scheduled a longer day at the park, had some post game activities. "Thanks for coming out and watching this crappy team all year." Then they could have had a later flight.
I don't think the players could have just taken it upon themselves and stayed out there and signed autographs. I agree; any fan that still attends games at this point should be treated better than they are at that park, but at this point, IMO, the season can't end fast enough for the the players, vendors, ushers, and everyone else employed at the Cell. They were counting the seconds until that game ended. Maybe they could have had more PRE-game activities, but we'll never know. Maybe next year.

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2004, 10:01 AM
I don't think the players could have just taken it upon themselves and stayed out there and signed autographs. I agree; any fan that still attends games at this point should be treated better than they are at that park, but at this point, IMO, the season can't end fast enough for the the players, vendors, ushers, and everyone else employed at the Cell. They were counting the seconds until that game ended. Maybe they could have had more PRE-game activities, but we'll never know. Maybe next year.If it's a charter flight, it leaves when they get on board. It's not a scheduled flight. There's not a reason in the world that they couldn't have delayed a while. I wasn't particularly disappointed because they did what they always do, which is not much. But in my view, either have a real Fan Apprieciation day or don't bother. Or maybe we're seeing the REAL level of fan appreciation.....

nlentz88
09-28-2004, 11:17 AM
I was at the game on Sunday and the players were indeed signing autographs... before the game.

Also, I noticed that the vast majority of random seat numbers drawn for prizes and posted on the scoreboard were in sections reserved for season ticket holders. I guess that means that Uncle Jerry appreciates them more than the "riff-raff" that occupy the upper deck.

I skipped the ATA promo thinking that it was just another lame gimmick to get your name on a mailing list in exchange for a towel.

Also, the woman singing the national anthem was fantastic! I've never heard a better version. It brought me to tears.

All in all I thought it was a great day at the park. The team gave the fans the greatest gift they could at this point: a White Sox winner. Four solo homers (and the resulting fireworks) and a solid outing from Garland were just the right compliments to my beer and polish.

I've never been to another team's fan appreciation day, so I have no basis for comparrison. However, this Sox fan had no complaints with Sunday's game.

chisoxmike
09-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I was disappointed with the 16,000 or so that showed up on a nice Sunday afternoon (granted the Bears were playing, and the Sox were done for the season)

But in 2003, the last home game was a Wednesday afternoon and it drew about 23,000 for Jerry's going away party. (The Sox also had a nice comeback against the Yankees)

But overall there was nothing special about the afternoon, Valdez hit a home run which took everyone by surprise and there were a lot of Cub fans where I was sitting.:angry:

Anyway, I had my final ballpark dog for the year and I saw a white sox winner.

mcfish
09-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I was disappointed with the 16,000 or so that showed up on a nice Sunday afternoon (granted the Bears were playing, and the Sox were done for the season)

But in 2003, the last home game was a Wednesday afternoon and it drew about 23,000 for Jerry's going away party. (The Sox also had a nice comeback against the Yankees)

But overall there was nothing special about the afternoon, Valdez hit a home run which took everyone by surprise and there were a lot of Cub fans where I was sitting.:angry:

Anyway, I had my final ballpark dog for the year and I saw a white sox winner.
They announced paid attendance at 18,950 or so at the game. I thought it was a pretty good number considering how important the game was and the Bears playing the Vikings coming off the win at the Packers. Little did everyone that stayed home to watch the Bears know that they were watching them get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs when Grossman went down and Quin came in for what was quite possibly the worst final drive in NFL history. (I watched it outside section 344 during the 7th inning. Went in for a hot dog and stayed for the heartbreak.)

Realist
09-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Fade in.

There I am playing in right field for the last game of the year at the Cell. I've got a wad of sunflower sees in my mouth. The Sox are up 2-1 with two outs in the ninth. There's an 0-2 count on the batter and Shingo throws the Frisbee for out number 3 and we all run out to the mound for a nice round of high fives and tushy slaps. While the rest of my team beats feet back to the locker room to get ready for our charter flight, I sprint to the seats right next to the Sox dugout and begin signing autographs and mussing up the hair of the little kids.

"C'mon, c'mon.. quickly guys. They're making me get on a plane so we can go to Detroit of all places!" I roll my eyes when I say the word Detroit. A few of the adults that have been to Detroit chuckle. Some drunk slob about 6 rows up in a Tigers hat let's out with a "F-U, Realist Realistevich! Detroit's too good for you!" Another adult Sox fan hits me with a "When you gonna fix that big looping swing of yours, Mr. Onehundred Strikeouts?" I laugh and tell him he should come down here and try it sometime!" I franticly continue to sign autographs, muss the hair of the little ones and maybe even give a peck on the cheek to a few of the female admirers.

Just then Ozzie appears at the top of the dugout and starts in with the "C'mon, c'mon...Realist! We gotta plane to catch!" "Okay... just a few more, Coach!", I reply. The fans start cheering, "Ozzie!! Ozzie!! Ozzie!!" Ozzie takes off his hat and tosses it into the stands. He then grabs a couple of handfulls of baseballs and begins tossing them into the crowd gathered around me. Everybody goes bananas! Then I take off my jersey and hand it to some polite and well behaved little one that has been patiently waiting for me to sign an autograph. I couple of the young girlies ooh and ahhh at my pythons. :wink:

"Sorry folks, I gotta get running or Ozzie is gonna kill me! Thank you so much for the support all season and we'll see if we can get that championship next year! Thank you so much!" I blow a few kisses to the crowd and yell, "Go Sox!!" and it's off to the clubhouse for me.

The fans that hung around would dig it. They would tell their friends and word would get out that I'm not that bad of a guy after all.

If the flight schedule was so tight that I didn't have time to do this, the travelling secretary or whoever books that stuff should be severely reprimanded. I'd probably stay after a little while with the fans even if I was told there wasn't time. So I miss the flight? What are they gonna do, fine me? Now that would be terrible PR.

I don't see signing a few autographs outside gate 7 as anything special. That's making the fans come to me. They've been doing that all season and fan appreciation day is the one day that the organization and the players should maybe give a little bit more and reach out to the players instead of making them come to us yet once again.

I'd be a little disappointed if at least one or two of my teammates didn't join me at the side of the dugout.

I'm not one to rip on the players because all the ones I've met have been super cool, but a little imagination sure as hell wouldn't hurt.

As I lumber down the stairs of the dugout the fans' chant of "REALIST! REALIST! REALIST! fills the air.

Fade to black.

Next season I swear I'm going to cut 25 strikeouts off my total.

cubhater
09-28-2004, 12:33 PM
I was at the game yesterday too, and luckily I decided to walk over by the fan deck and spotted the line for the ATA drawing, where 20 fans will win a pair of ATA tickets good for anywhere in the continental US. They said the drawing is today, so I'm still waiting for the call :bandance: . I stood in line for maybe 20 minutes, and when you get to the front of the line, you spin a wheel, and if it lands on the spot with the entry sheet pasted on it, you get to fill out an entry form. It must've been my lucky day, because sure enough I was a winner, and now I'm in the drawing.

Did anyone else here spin the wheel?Good luck with the raffle. All I got for my spin was an ATA pen. But I did catch the last batting practice HR of the year!:bandance:

I didn't notice anything different about this year's Fan Appreciation Day...they still had winning seat locations throughout the game on the scoreboard and that's about it As usual, it was a White Sox winner! I think they're something like 11-3 in final home games at The Cell.

steff
09-28-2004, 01:06 PM
I don't see signing a few autographs outside gate 7 as anything special. That's making the fans come to me. They've been doing that all season and fan appreciation day is the one day that the organization and the players should maybe give a little bit more and reach out to the players instead of making them come to us yet once again.

I'd be a little disappointed if at least one or two of my teammates didn't join me at the side of the dugout.

They did sign BEFORE the game from 1:30 until game time.. like many of them do before EVERY game.

Oye ve...

Realist
09-28-2004, 01:21 PM
They did sign BEFORE the game from 1:30 until game time.. like many of them do before EVERY game.

I didn't say they didn't.

I did say that a little more imagination wouldn't hurt. I don't think that doing something you would normally do before any other game on fan appreciation day really constitutes much imagination.

ewokpelts
09-28-2004, 01:25 PM

Oye ve...As well as Kids' Day(the last one was open to ALL FANS, not just kids), Soxfest, and After the games at Gate 6(Sorry Steff, Gate 7 is closed off to the public), and sometimes at Gate 4(mostly visiting players, but hey, jerry comes out there once ina while).
I wa sat fan appeciation day last year(I was stuck at work this year). While It didnt really light my fire, it was nice that they were doing something nice for fans. Would I like them giving out the leftover promotional items? Yes. But who cares? You guys got to see a victory, abliet a meaningless one.
Gene

SomebodyToldMe
09-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Several of them were outside gate 7 signing before they left.Define "several".

I was by the players parking lot after the game and the only player who actually stopped his car, backed it up, got out, and signed was Neal Cotts.

Now, of course I might have missed some before, but he was the only one that did it while I was there. And I was there for a good hour.

LuvSox
09-28-2004, 04:17 PM
If the flight schedule was so tight that I didn't have time to do this, the travelling secretary or whoever books that stuff should be severely reprimanded. I'd probably stay after a little while with the fans even if I was told there wasn't time. So I miss the flight? What are they gonna do, fine me? Now that would be terrible PR.

I'm not one to rip on the players because all the ones I've met have been super cool, but a little imagination sure as hell wouldn't hurt.
Excellent post!

Foulke29
09-28-2004, 04:18 PM
I too was disappointed with Fan Appreciation Day at the Cell. I'm not saying the players need to kiss our butts, but if it's going to be business as usual with the excpetion of a couple of toaster ovens and a DVD player given out, quit conning us by calling it Fan Appreciation Day.

I wanted to see more players signing kids mitts and baseball cards. I wanted to see some of our injured players in the dugout - and steff before you make a sarcastic comment indicating that I am wrong (IYO) - keep in mind this is IMO.

I'm not griping or complaining, but I think I have the right to say that I am a bit disappointed that only Rowand and Borchard signed some autographs... those were the only two guys before the game. I know. I was sitting on the third base side watching guys like Valentin and Gload not.

Anyway, I'm not saying the players are jerks or that management is too cheap. I'm just saying that I was completely disappointed with "Fan Appreciation Day" - especially with the stories my dad told me about going up in his younger days - or Bill Veeck days (and even a few of the days in which the Chairman has been in charge of this team). I think I have the right to have expected a little more.

Foulke29
09-28-2004, 04:25 PM
To all you members/posters out there who have the luxury of making it to more than a dozen games a season - you know those guys that lecture us because we don't make it to as many games as them - you know those that demand us to go out and support our team:

A few players hanging out to sign autographs would go a long way to establishing future generations of Sox fans than some Toaster Ovens and plane tickets. Last time I checked - we are in the third largest market in the country and drawing poor numbers.

Some of you can blame the fans, and some others can blame a poor season - I'd like to think it's a combination of both and the fact that some players and management don't do the little things - like giving the fans a true Fan Appreciation Day.

soxwon
09-28-2004, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=Region Sox]No scheduleQUOTE]

well im piecing the schedule together and lets all get excited for the tampa bay devil rays coming to the cell on july4th-6. happy 4th every1

i know we travel to kc
july-25-27

sept 13-14-15

and yes tb is here july 4-5-6

we travel to tb may 9-10-11

Realist
09-28-2004, 04:52 PM
I too was disappointed with Fan Appreciation Day at the Cell. I'm not saying the players need to kiss our butts, but if it's going to be business as usual with the excpetion of a couple of toaster ovens and a DVD player given out, quit conning us by calling it Fan Appreciation Day.

I wanted to see more players signing kids mitts and baseball cards. I wanted to see some of our injured players in the dugout - and steff before you make a sarcastic comment indicating that I am wrong (IYO) - keep in mind this is IMO.

I'm not griping or complaining, but I think I have the right to say that I am a bit disappointed that only Rowand and Borchard signed some autographs... those were the only two guys before the game. I know. I was sitting on the third base side watching guys like Valentin and Gload not.

Anyway, I'm not saying the players are jerks or that management is too cheap. I'm just saying that I was completely disappointed with "Fan Appreciation Day" - especially with the stories my dad told me about going up in his younger days - or Bill Veeck days (and even a few of the days in which the Chairman has been in charge of this team). I think I have the right to have expected a little more.http://www.ars.pl/images/filmy/big_lebowski.jpg
"Yeah...well...that's just like...your opinion, man." :redneck

steff
09-29-2004, 08:49 AM

Why would I be sarcastic.. ? I don't think I've been once in this thread, at least I wasn't trying to be. At the OD circle Raffy, Paul, Ben, Mark, Jamie, Juan, and Ozzie stood for a good 15 minutes talking to Finny and Jim (her husband) and signed autographs. Jose went into the dugout near the camera well then came back out at the circle, hugged Finny, and signed a few minutes, as did Freddy.

The above is not an opinion.. it's fact.

You have the right to say whatever you want... everyone's got one of those... opinions. :wink:

And ewok.. you're right. I get 7 and 6 mixed up cause that's where we take the dog in and it's in the players lot.

steff
09-29-2004, 08:52 AM
To all you members/posters out there who have the luxury of making it to more than a dozen games a season - you know those guys that lecture us because we don't make it to as many games as them - you know those that demand us to go out and support our team:

A few players hanging out to sign autographs would go a long way to establishing future generations of Sox fans than some Toaster Ovens and plane tickets. Last time I checked - we are in the third largest market in the country and drawing poor numbers.

Some of you can blame the fans, and some others can blame a poor season - I'd like to think it's a combination of both and the fact that some players and management don't do the little things - like giving the fans a true Fan Appreciation Day.

Their work day ends with the last out, IMO. They've been at the park for a good 7 hours.. they have a plane to catch.. family to say goodbye to, etc, etc.. Sometimes I just don't understand what some fans want from these guys. You want an autograph.. come before the game when they are signing.

Foulke29
09-29-2004, 09:44 AM
http://www.ars.pl/images/filmy/big_lebowski.jpg
"Yeah...well...that's just like...your opinion, man." :redneck
God Bless the Dude!

POTW?

Foulke29
09-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Their work day ends with the last out, IMO. They've been at the park for a good 7 hours.. they have a plane to catch.. family to say goodbye to, etc, etc.. Sometimes I just don't understand what some fans want from these guys. You want an autograph.. come before the game when they are signing.
steff:

It's not an expectation. I'm not saying that at all. I'm simply citing what I believe would help a team struggling to draw their fan base to the park.

I am expecting my first child in two months. I plan on passing the curse down to him or her. :dtroll:

That said, I want my child to experience the kind of thing that I did when I was very young and going to games. I met and talked with Vance Law, The Bull and Kittle. Granted, I don't remember what I said or what they said to me, but I do know that it left an impression in a 10 year old kid's mind that turned him into a life long Sox fan - even though I hate the pain this team gives me very much. :wink:

Did they have families to get to or planes to catch or personal time? Sure they did. There's no doubt, but they gave me some of the most special moments of my childhood.

I'm not saying that the have to or should sign autographs or just talk to the fans after the games, but I am saying it would be a shot in the arm for the organization if the players did some of the little things that those guys from the '80s did.

I know Jose and Freddy and Paulie (not to mention others) are all really nice guys. My brother stayed in the same hotel as the Sox for the last California series and bought Jose a beer, shot pool with Freddy and talked in the lobby Aaron at great length. There's no doubt that their nice guys.

I'm just saying it's the little things of going above and beyond that can change public perception.

Ol' No. 2
09-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Their work day ends with the last out, IMO. They've been at the park for a good 7 hours.. they have a plane to catch.. family to say goodbye to, etc, etc.. Sometimes I just don't understand what some fans want from these guys. You want an autograph.. come before the game when they are signing.I don't agree with this at all. My work day certainly doesn't end at 5:00. I often have to work late or get calls evenings and weekends, as do lots of other people. When someone writes a book, they go on promotion tours. Actors hit the talk show circuit to promote their upcoming movies. PR is part of the job. I don't think anyone is suggesting that they stay for hours after the game, but if raffling off a few prizes is their idea of a Fan Appreciation Day, someone is sorely lacking in imagination.

steff
09-29-2004, 11:37 AM
I don't agree with this at all. My work day certainly doesn't end at 5:00. I often have to work late or get calls evenings and weekends, as do lots of other people. When someone writes a book, they go on promotion tours. Actors hit the talk show circuit to promote their upcoming movies. PR is part of the job. I don't think anyone is suggesting that they stay for hours after the game, but if raffling off a few prizes is their idea of a Fan Appreciation Day, someone is sorely lacking in imagination.

And neither does mine. But I don't travel 8 months out of the year for work, spend extended time away from my family, and sometimes go 2 weeks without a day off. My job is also no where near as demanding on my body.

The job dicates the hours. They get there early, they do what they need to in regards to prep. They sigh autographs before the game. IN MY OPINION... that's more than fair.

Jerko
09-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Well, the last few fan appreciation days were on Wednesday or Thursday afternoon, half of the stands in the park were closed, the workers at the Cell could not wait for us to leave, and if you sat in the outfield, you had to go behind the plate if you wanted to get something to eat/drink, and you had to do it by the 6th inning. I think Sunday was pretty good compared to the last few years. IMO, even had the players stayed and signed autographs, there would be people saying "where were Frank and Maggs", "Rowand signed for 2 hours but stopped right before it was my turn", etc. Also, if the players took it upon themselves to stay (everyone here seems to think they had a choice in the matter), how would security have been handled? Those people were off the clock too, not just the White Sox. Oh, security guys, stay longer for free and with no regard to your other jobs that you might have to go to so the fans aren't upset they didn't get Russ Gload's autograph? Please. If there were no post game activities SCHEDULED, there's no way they could have done something for the fans where the players could have even stayed long enough to appease everyone. They would have had like 5 or 10 minutes at best and then everyone would bitch that they didn't stay long enough.

Ol' No. 2
09-29-2004, 11:52 AM
And neither does mine. But I don't travel 8 months out of the year for work, spend extended time away from my family, and sometimes go 2 weeks without a day off. My job is also no where near as demanding on my body.

The job dicates the hours. They get there early, they do what they need to in regards to prep. They sigh autographs before the game. IN MY OPINION... that's more than fair.My complaint here is not really with the players but with the team management. They could have had something after the game to show their appreciation a little more than raffling off a few prizes. If you're going to have a Fan Appreciation Day either make it a real event or don't bother. And I'm sure that had they done so, the players would have been more than willing to participate. It could be as simple as having each player autograph a couple dozen balls (could be done in advance) and tossing them up into the stands after the game. Raffling off game-worn jerseys like they did a few weeks ago would also be a nice touch. With a little imagination, it wouldn't be hard to come up with a few other special things that wouldn't take that long or require that much effort.

pinwheels3530
09-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Everyone E mail Boyer and let him know your dissappointed!!!

Foulke29
09-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Everyone E mail Boyer and let him know your dissappointed!!!
Boyer?

LuvSox
09-29-2004, 03:46 PM
7 hour work days 8 months a year? NO, say it isn't so!!!!!!!! :whiner: Over pay me by millions and I'll play until my body can't take it, only to be rich enough to send my kids to the finest colleges and I'll never have to work another day for the rest of my life. No sympathy here.

steff
09-29-2004, 05:48 PM
7 hour work days 8 months a year? NO, say it isn't so!!!!!!!! :whiner: Over pay me by millions and I'll play until my body can't take it, only to be rich enough to send my kids to the finest colleges and I'll never have to work another day for the rest of my life. No sympathy here.
I'm definitely not going to defend them.. I'll be leading the riot to scream that they are over paid. But it is what it is. Don't hate the player... hate the game.

Frankfan4life
09-29-2004, 09:05 PM
My complaint here is not really with the players but with the team management. They could have had something after the game to show their appreciation a little more than raffling off a few prizes. If you're going to have a Fan Appreciation Day either make it a real event or don't bother. And I'm sure that had they done so, the players would have been more than willing to participate. It could be as simple as having each player autograph a couple dozen balls (could be done in advance) and tossing them up into the stands after the game. Raffling off game-worn jerseys like they did a few weeks ago would also be a nice touch. With a little imagination, it wouldn't be hard to come up with a few other special things that wouldn't take that long or require that much effort.Very well said. A lot more fans would show up on Fan Appreciation Day if they knew something special would happen. Maybe, all the fans could put part of their ticket stub in a drawing on the way in to the park and then during the game, some random seat numbers are drawn and those fans get a signed jersey or baseball or get invited down on the field in between innnigs to shake a players hand or something. Or how about giving away some tickets for next year but have a player or Ozzie give them to you? If the fans knew that any one of them who goes to Fan Appreciation Day could possibly get some personal time from a player, that would make the day special.

Parrothead
09-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Well, the last few fan appreciation days were on Wednesday or Thursday afternoon, half of the stands in the park were closed, the workers at the Cell could not wait for us to leave, and if you sat in the outfield, you had to go behind the plate if you wanted to get something to eat/drink, and you had to do it by the 6th inning.
Are you talking about the Sox appreciation days? The ones I have been to were on Sundays.:dunno:

gosox41
09-30-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm definitely not going to defend them.. I'll be leading the riot to scream that they are over paid. But it is what it is. Don't hate the player... hate the game.
Yeah. It's the game's fault that Magglio turned down all that money.:D:

Bob

LuvSox
09-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Don't hate the player... hate the game.
Hey, you just had a birthday. You're too old to talk like that. :D:

ewokpelts
09-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Are you talking about the Sox appreciation days? The ones I have been to were on Sundays.:dunno:Fan Appreciation Day is always held on Sundays. If the last game fall on a WED/THURS, it's just the last game. This year the last game fell on a sunday.
Gene