PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Ellis you were a credit to the game

Fenway
09-26-2004, 11:07 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040926/i/r624433290.jpg
Boston Red Sox player Ellis Burks responds to the standing ovation from the crowd in the eighth inning of their game against the New York Yankees at Fenway Park in Boston, September 26, 2004. Burks will retire at the end of the regular season and this was his last home game.

DumpJerry
09-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Last home game? Won't he play in the playoffs? Unless, of course, he is traded somehow to the Flubs.....:D:

Fenway
09-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Last home game? Won't he play in the playoffs? Unless, of course, he is traded somehow to the Flubs.....:D:He has been on the DL most of the season his knees are shot He won't be on the playoff roster

DumpJerry
09-26-2004, 11:19 PM
He has been on the DL most of the season his knees are shot He won't be on the playoff rosterThe Flubs might try anyway................

SomebodyToldMe
09-26-2004, 11:20 PM
The Flubs might try anyway................
I liked Ellis.

I still have baseball cards of him on the White Sox.

Brian26
09-26-2004, 11:50 PM
The Flubs might try anyway................
I just want to nominate DumpJerry as having the best sig on the site.

Brian26
09-26-2004, 11:51 PM
I liked Ellis.

I still have baseball cards of him on the White Sox.
He did a good job for us in '93. He seemed like a good guy.

Brian26
09-26-2004, 11:59 PM
I just want to nominate DumpJerry as having the best sig on the site.
But now I see in another thread that DumpJerry borrowed this sig from someone else....so now I have to take my nomination away. Sorry. :D:

dcb33
09-27-2004, 12:23 AM
He has been on the DL most of the season his knees are shot He won't be on the playoff roster
This may be a stupid question, but let's say he isn't on the playoff roster, and the RED Sox go on to win the World Series. Does he still get a ring?

Erik The Red
09-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Ellis Burks............. YYYYYYYYYYYYYES!!!!!!!!!

Huisj
09-27-2004, 12:34 AM
hmm, it seems that sox fans were kind of irked at burks after he had his good season for the sox and then ran off to the expansion rockies who waved big money at him after the sox had given him his comeback chance from having torn up his knee real bad. I was young, so maybe i've got the story kind of wrong, but that was kind of the vibe i got from people back when it happened.

Johnny Mostil
09-27-2004, 12:34 AM
This may be a stupid question, but let's say he isn't on the playoff roster, and the RED Sox go on to win the World Series. Does he still get a ring?
Teams decide among themselves who gets rings (and shares of postseason bonuses) don't they?

MisterB
09-27-2004, 01:06 AM
hmm, it seems that sox fans were kind of irked at burks after he had his good season for the sox and then ran off to the expansion rockies who waved big money at him after the sox had given him his comeback chance from having torn up his knee real bad. I was young, so maybe i've got the story kind of wrong, but that was kind of the vibe i got from people back when it happened.
Actually I think there was more ire directed at Scheuler for not at least having an option year on Burks' contract. At least I was kind of miffed at that. I also don't remember many Red Sox fans that were sorry to see Burks go at the time, after the injury in '92 and hitting .251/14 HR/56 rbi in 130 games in '91.

Fenway
09-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Teams decide among themselves who gets rings (and shares of postseason bonuses) don't they?
He would get a ring and a full playoff share as well. His teammates were amazed at how hard he tried to come back when he simply could have walked away.

SOXSINCE'70
09-27-2004, 11:48 AM
I still remember the slam he hit off
Kenny Rogers in Texas in '93.Had 7 RBI's
in a 15-8 Sox win.:bandance: :bandance:

Foulke You
09-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Ellis Burks............. YYYYYYYYYYYYYES!!!!!!!!!
One of my favorite Hawk Harrelson calls. Ellis was a huge part of that '93 Sox division winner. I remember when we signed him in '93, many scouts said his career was over then because of injury! Herm Scneider helped him rehab in the offseason before 1993 and it worked out great. He proved everyone wrong by sticking around another 11 seasons.

StillMissOzzie
09-27-2004, 03:27 PM
I wanna remember essentially the same thing. The Rockies were offering one more year than the Sox were, so he took off. So much for the money vs. playing for a contender argument. Funny part, getting that one more year was so important when he goes on to play 10 more years after bolting from the South Side.

SMO

Dick Allen
09-27-2004, 04:56 PM
If I remember correctly, Burks preferred CF over RF, which is also one of the reasons he went to Colorado. The Sox already had One-Dog.

DumpJerry
09-27-2004, 06:01 PM
But now I see in another thread that DumpJerry borrowed this sig from someone else....so now I have to take my nomination away. Sorry. :D:Well, I did give credit to the person who also had the sig and I modified it with the "greatest day" tag line, doesn't honesty count for something? :halo: How about nominating both of us?:smile: