PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 9/26

Lip Man 1
09-26-2004, 10:28 PM
"I want batters at the 1-2 and the 6-7-8-9 spots who can bunt and put the ball in play with runners on first and second, we set the club record for home runs and didn't win this year. We hit home runs and didn't win last year or the year before or the year before that." -- Ozzie Guillen to Bill Jauss Chicago Tribune.

Let's see... that's Frank, Carl and either Konerko or Lee at the #3, 4 and 5 spots. You can't be much clearer then that folks on what's going to come..

Goodbye Maggs, goodbye either Lee or Konerko, goodbye Jose', goodbye Crede.

The story also quotes Ozzie as saying that Uribe will be at one infield position full time next season.

Lip

SEALgep
09-26-2004, 10:32 PM
I don't mind Uribe full time at third, SS, or second next year. He was our best defensive infielder by far this year. With Crede's struggles, I wouldn't mind moving him and having Uribe at third. With his arm, hustle, and savvy, he could do real well there, and still keep us in a situation to go out and get a guy like Vizquel.

nodiggity59
09-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Is there any chance we can dump Carl this offseason?

MRKARNO
09-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Pretty much anyone with any power to speak of can hit 20 homers here if the homers are a product of good batting as opposed to an all or nothing style. We're going to hit home runs as long as we have guys that hit fly balls. The only reason Willie didnt hit but 2 homers was his high G/F ratio. The White Sox might be smart to go after guys with a large amount of doubles. Brian Roberts has 48 doubles and only four home runs with a low G/F ration (about 1) and I'm willing to be he could up that total and be a helpful leadoff hitter on this team.

jeremyb1
09-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Hehe. Yet if we lead the league in stolen bases we're guaranteed to win? Hitting home runs doesn't seem to be hurting the Yankees (#1 in baseball in home runs), Cubs (3rd), Rangers (4th), Red Sox (5th), Cardinals (6th), or Dodgers (8th).

Brian26
09-26-2004, 11:53 PM
This winter is going to be scary. I hope we get fair value for the guys we're going to get rid of.

MRKARNO
09-26-2004, 11:55 PM
This winter is going to be scary. I hope we get fair value for the guys we're going to get rid of.
Don't keep your hopes up. I dont think Kenny has proven to be successful so far at unloading talent and getting talent in return.

soxnut
09-27-2004, 01:05 AM
Hehe. Yet if we lead the league in stolen bases we're guaranteed to win? Hitting home runs doesn't seem to be hurting the Yankees (#1 in baseball in home runs), Cubs (3rd), Rangers (4th), Red Sox (5th), Cardinals (6th), or Dodgers (8th).

The thing is, they probably have people on base when they hit them. It's not how many you hit, it's when as well. I hate the power game, it's not real baseball anyway.

StillMissOzzie
09-27-2004, 02:00 AM
That's a pretty sad indictment of this team, we are by far the most HR-hitting bunch that's not in post-season contention. In a related matter, I read in Jason Starks' ESPN.com column that NOBODY on the Twinkies has more than 30 HR's,and that's with 81 games in the artificially created wind-blown "HomerDome". BTW, who's #7?

SMO

jeremyb1
09-27-2004, 02:06 AM
The thing is, they probably have people on base when they hit them. It's not how many you hit, it's when as well. I hate the power game, it's not real baseball anyway.

Well I agree that it's important to have guys on base which is why it'd be a good reason to spend the offseason stressing on base percentage instead of running and defense.

jeremyb1
09-27-2004, 02:07 AM
That's a pretty sad indictment of this team, we are by far the most HR-hitting bunch that's not in post-season contention. In a related matter, I read in Jason Starks' ESPN.com column that NOBODY on the Twinkies has more than 30 HR's,and that's with 81 games in the artificially created wind-blown "HomerDome". BTW, who's #7?

SMO

The Phillies.

hitlesswonder
09-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Well I agree that it's important to have guys on base which is why it'd be a good reason to spend the offseason stressing on base percentage instead of running and defense.For my first post on the board, I'm going to have to agree with Jeremy. Home runs are not the reason the Sox have failed to make the playoffs. It's disturbing that Ozzie's idea of fixing the Sox is to take the one thing they do well and get rid of it. If you want to not have have as many solo home runs, get two or three guys who can get on base. I would definitely be in favor of trading power for OBP at a couple of positions, but that's not the same thing as deciding that the way to build a team is to have almost no power at six positions. Ozzie's solution seems to be to get six guys who won't hit home runs, may not get on base, but run fast. Also, if two of your three power guys are Thomas and Everett, I think that's trouble; the chances of both of them staying healthy has to be pretty low.

Even more troubling, I think any reasonable assessment of the Sox has to conclude that pitching was the biggest failing this season, especially after the all-star break (they're 12th in the league in ERAfor the season, that's wretched). But I continually read how the pitching staff is almost set for next year. I hope that's not the case.

StillMissOzzie
09-27-2004, 03:16 PM
For my first post on the board, I'm going to have to agree with Jeremy. Home runs are not the reason the Sox have failed to make the playoffs. It's disturbing that Ozzie's idea of fixing the Sox is to take the one thing they do well and get rid of it. If you want to not have have as many solo home runs, get two or three guys who can get on base. I would definitely be in favor of trading power for OBP at a couple of positions, but that's not the same thing as deciding that the way to build a team is to have almost no power at six positions. Ozzie's solution seems to be to get six guys who won't hit home runs, may not get on base, but run fast. Also, if two of your three power guys are Thomas and Everett, I think that's trouble; the chances of both of them staying healthy has to be pretty low.

Even more troubling, I think any reasonable assessment of the Sox has to conclude that pitching was the biggest failing this season, especially after the all-star break (they're 12th in the league in ERAfor the season, that's wretched). But I continually read how the pitching staff is almost set for next year. I hope that's not the case.
Welcome to WSI, hitless!

SMO

mdep524
09-27-2004, 03:30 PM
For my first post on the board, I'm going to have to agree with Jeremy. Home runs are not the reason the Sox have failed to make the playoffs. It's disturbing that Ozzie's idea of fixing the Sox is to take the one thing they do well and get rid of it. If you want to not have have as many solo home runs, get two or three guys who can get on base. I would definitely be in favor of trading power for OBP at a couple of positions, but that's not the same thing as deciding that the way to build a team is to have almost no power at six positions. Ozzie's solution seems to be to get six guys who won't hit home runs, may not get on base, but run fast. Also, if two of your three power guys are Thomas and Everett, I think that's trouble; the chances of both of them staying healthy has to be pretty low.

Even more troubling, I think any reasonable assessment of the Sox has to conclude that pitching was the biggest failing this season, especially after the all-star break (they're 12th in the league in ERAfor the season, that's wretched). But I continually read how the pitching staff is almost set for next year. I hope that's not the case.Welcome aboard hitless! Ironic that your post is defending the longball while your name harks back to the Sox 1906 World Champion team, which scrapped out its wins with no power hitters at all. :redneck Seriously though, I agree 100% with what you're saying, you sum up the feelings of many posters on this board.

Foulke You
09-27-2004, 04:14 PM

Hitless just said everything that I feel in a nutshell. Welcome aboard, btw.:cool: I think Ozzie wants to put 6 players like himself in that lineup. In the power hitting AL, this just ain't gonna fly. While I agree that we need some more speed and OBP at the top of the order, the pitching is the greatest concern of mine.

The rotation is pretty thin after Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras. The bullpen is pretty thin after Marte and Shingo. Starting rotation and bullpen should be Ozzie's top concern, not re-molding the offense. The Jason Grillis and Neal Cottses of the world aren't going to get the job done.

I was refreshed to read Kenny Williams wasn't ready to go completely away from the power game. He realizes the ballpark is playing small and if you turn the offense into a bunch of slap hitting Mike Carusos, you have the potential to lose quite a few in our remodeled launching pad at 35th and Shields.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2004, 06:10 PM
According to numerous quotes Williams has stated that pitching is still the first priority and that he wants to add another starter and another bullpen arm.

Me thinks based on the garbage performances out of the pen this year he better add two or three.

Lip

batmanZoSo
09-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Pretty much anyone with any power to speak of can hit 20 homers here if the homers are a product of good batting as opposed to an all or nothing style. We're going to hit home runs as long as we have guys that hit fly balls. The only reason Willie didnt hit but 2 homers was his high G/F ratio. The White Sox might be smart to go after guys with a large amount of doubles. Brian Roberts has 48 doubles and only four home runs with a low G/F ration (about 1) and I'm willing to be he could up that total and be a helpful leadoff hitter on this team.

He's the perfect fit for what we're looking for in all aspects. He's gonna be 27 next year, can play every day, hustles a lot, respectable .350 on-base, 30 steals, plays a pretty good second base. I like that he hits a lot of doubles, that's what we need. He'll turn a lot of singles into doubles and score from second and first with regularity. Meanwhile, he's a legitimate big league hitter that can give you 600 at-bats without killing you (unlike Harris). This guy's better than Harris in all areas of the game and should be no more than a million. Harris is only worth keeping if he steals 55 bases and the truth is, Carlos Lee is a better base stealer than he is, the former just has the speed.

When we played Baltimore in April, Roberts just lit us up. He was on base all the time and getting steals and making good plays. Hairston's another option. In 86 games he's got a .303 average and a .378 on base. He's also a Chicago boy and I believe his father's still on the payroll. The only problem is he's hurt and I don't know what exactly the injury is.

One of those two is exactly what we need. I hope KW or Ozzie sees that.