PDA

View Full Version : wish me luck, guys

cheeses_h_rice
10-07-2001, 05:02 AM
In 2-1/2 hours, I'll be running in the Chicago Marathon, hence the early posting.

It's my third straight Chicago Marathon, and I'm shooting for a time of 3:30. Last year I did 3:37, and 3:45 the year before, so I think I can do it.

The weather looks perfefct today, too: sunny and cold. Couldn't have asked for a better day.

Unfortunately, I'll probably be napping and in bed when the Sox finish their season, so I won't get to see their final game. Oh well. I have this feeling third place in the offing for 2001.

I'll post later with my time. If it's anything slower than 3:30, I won't be all that happy. 3:30 or better, and that's a good time for an old-ish guy like me (35).

FarWestChicago
10-07-2001, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
It's my third straight Chicago Marathon, and I'm shooting for a time of 3:30. Last year I did 3:37, and 3:45 the year before, so I think I can do it.Good luck! I ran one (Napa Valley) when I was younger and much smaller. I did 3:47. I could have probably knocked 15 minutes off, but I was pacing a buddy who didn't think he could make it. With about 8 miles to go he got confident and told me to go on. But, I had lost a lot of time by then.

cheeses_h_rice
10-07-2001, 05:29 AM
Thanks FWC. 3:47 is a great time, probably in the top third of runners for Chicago.

Say, are you still up from the night before or did you get up early? I think I know the answer to that one...

Jerry_Manuel
10-07-2001, 09:11 AM
In 2-1/2 hours, I'll be running in the Chicago Marathon, hence the early posting.

Good Luck Cheeses!
I'm watching it right now on NBC but I have no idea what you look like. But hope you do well.

:moron
I assume you will be cheating just to finish in 3rd.

LongDistanceFan
10-07-2001, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Good Luck Cheeses!
I'm watching it right now on NBC but I have no idea what you look like. But hope you do well.

the only way i am going to do a marathon is when i drive it......

good luck.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-07-2001, 11:04 AM
It was in the 30's early this morning. The world-class athletes like it but for the rest of us it's just damned cold. Now the sun is up and things are warming up nicely. That's a nice bonus for runners looking for any bit of inspiration to carry them over the finish line.

Next year we're going to put a WSI t-shirt on him!

:)

Daver
10-07-2001, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It was in the 30's early this morning. The world-class athletes like it but for the rest of us it's just damned cold. Now the sun is up and things are warming up nicely.

It was 33 degrees when I left the house at 5:30 this morning to go fishing.

LongDistanceFan
10-07-2001, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It was in the 30's early this morning. The world-class athletes like it but for the rest of us it's just damned cold. Now the sun is up and things are warming up nicely. That's a nice bonus for runners looking for any bit of inspiration to carry them over the finish line.

Next year we're going to put a WSI t-shirt on him!

now that is a great idea........ then like this, i will have my sister and her husband record it for me.

FarWestChicago
10-07-2001, 11:37 AM
Say, are you still up from the night before or did you get up early? I think I know the answer to that one... LOL, it was just after 3am here when I left that message...still up.

cheeses_h_rice
10-07-2001, 03:19 PM
I'm back! I ran a 3:32, a few minutes shy of my hoped-for time, but still my best personal time by over 5 minutes. It was a gorgeous day out there, I gave it my all, so I'm happy. Unfortunately, by the time you run by Comiskey Park, you've been running for about 3 hours, so I barely even glanced up at the stadium as I passed it. I did see a little kid with a Sox hat on, so I yelled "Go Sox!" as I passed him. Next year, I definitely have to invest in a Sox shirt made of that special anti-sweat material -- cotton does not work for these long runs.

Got home in time to find out that we've started bombing Afghanistan, and in time to watch an awesome Bears victory -- did you see that defense?

On the other hand, it looks like the Sox are phoning in their final game performance, so it's third place for us. Dang.

And why isn't the game on TV?

Obviously, this Sox game is meaningless. Unlike the crucial Flubs/Pirates game on WGN.

FarWestChicago
10-07-2001, 03:23 PM
I'm back! I ran a 3:32, a few minutes shy of my hoped-for time, but still my best personal time by over 5 minutes. It was a gorgeous day out there, I gave it my all, so I'm happy.Great job! At least the Bears tried hard today, too. :)

Jerry_Manuel
10-07-2001, 03:24 PM
I'm back! I ran a 3:32, a few minutes shy of my hoped-for time, but still my best personal time by over 5 minutes.

Nice job Cheeses.

If I was in Chicago, I would have ran and blew away your time.

CLR01
10-07-2001, 03:32 PM
Congrats Cheeses, if i would have ran in that i probably wouldn't have made it past the 3 mile mark and that would have probably taken me the better part of 3 hours.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-07-2001, 04:29 PM
Great job, Cheeses! Everyone here is proud of you. That's a great time and a personal best, too.

Everyone who ran should have been given four Sox ticket vouchers to purchase discount tickets to a game of their choice next season. That would have been a sweet little goodie for the goodie bag.

Of course we all know the Sox would never do such a thing. It's cheaper to whine about fan indifference.

Paulwny
10-07-2001, 07:10 PM
Nice going, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

charlie browned
10-07-2001, 08:17 PM
excellent, excellent, cheeses. I envy you more than you know. I ran the thing in '94 (3:27)....what stands clear in my mind is having to stop right at 35th and Shields to TIE MY SHOE..I thought I'd never get started again...every time I go to a Sox game, I remember this...now I've screwed up my knee beyond recognition (playing stupid hockey) and can't run more than 5 miles...Don't EVER do any sport except running...

Moses_Scurry
10-08-2001, 12:41 PM
I ran it last year in 4:11! It was a great time. How did you do? I thought about doing it this year but I didn't have the time to train.