PDA

View Full Version : Un-Garland-like Comments made by Jon after the game

MRKARNO
09-26-2004, 10:25 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040926soxgamer,1,5181113.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I'm not happy with my performance this year. I want to be better. If I stay healthy, maybe I will. Only time will tell." Contrast that with "I wouldn't have changed a thing."

I dont know what to think of Garland. He's a championship calibur 5th starter and not a ton more than that. Let's keep him if he agrees to stay for a cheap amount (2-3 million)

nodiggity59
09-26-2004, 10:32 PM
With regards to our lineup issues discussed in the article, I really hope only 1 of the Crede-Willie-Valentin-Davis combo is back next year, preferably Willie. And if we get rid of Paulie for Gload, they all better be gone.

SEALgep
09-26-2004, 10:36 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040926soxgamer,1,5181113.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Contrast that with "I wouldn't have changed a thing."

I dont know what to think of Garland. He's a championship calibur 5th starter and not a ton more than that. Let's keep him if he agrees to stay for a cheap amount (2-3 million)Time won't tell, only his attitude and motivation will tell whether he'll finally be the pitcher we all hoped. We'll see, but unless he grows up fast, it'll be one more year of disappointment with him. Cross your fingers.

munchman33
09-26-2004, 10:37 PM

Contrast that with "I wouldn't have changed a thing."

I dont know what to think of Garland. He's a championship calibur 5th starter and not a ton more than that. Let's keep him if he agrees to stay for a cheap amount (2-3 million)
You can never have too much pitching, so I'd resign him. And you're right, he's a five at best. We need to sign one more starter. Doesn't have to be a stud, but should be at least another three.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Maybe Garland is being a bit concerned due to Ozzie's comments about his future the past few days and is trying to be condensending.
or look at this statement of his: "If I stay healthy, maybe I will."

You could look at that 'maybe' remark and think 'this is a professional athlete without a lot of confidence.' Maybe that's part of his issues. Most athletes that I've spoken with leave no room for 'maybe's' even though the reality is it's always a crap shoot. I would have thought he'd say, 'If I stay healthy, I will...'

Just something to consider.

Lip

Dan H
09-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Maybe Garland is being a bit concerned due to Ozzie's comments about his future the past few days and is trying to be condensending.
or look at this statement of his: "If I stay healthy, maybe I will."

You could look at that 'maybe' remark and think 'this is a professional athlete without a lot of confidence.' Maybe that's part of his issues. Most athletes that I've spoken with leave no room for 'maybe's' even though the reality is it's always a crap shoot. I would have thought he'd say, 'If I stay healthy, I will...'

Just something to consider.

LipThe word "maybe" is troubling and sounds weak. The guy sounds like he doesn't have a clue. I wonder if he is just another question mark that will disappoint again next season, if he is here next season.