PDA

View Full Version : Maybe an Newbie ? here, but...

Joosh
09-25-2004, 03:14 PM
But since there has been all this talk of trading Konerko, and I have not seen anyone suggest who to trade him for, so who do we trade him for?

I saw someone mention that the Mets were looking for a Power-Hitting First Baseman. If we trade to the Mets, why not ask for Kazou Matsui? Fills up our MIF hold, and for all you crede haters out there, you can move Uribe to 3rd, and put Harris or Valdez at 2nd. Or, you can keep Crede and put Uribe at 2nd. Gload seems to be handling 1st decent enough, and this would fix our Infield Problem. Thats one hole filled.

Then, you could toss Everett to the Trade bait Dogs(only if Maggs is signed to a small, incentive-filled contract) while keeping Rowand and Lee, and then you head to the FA market. If you pick up Beltran, you move Aaron to Right, and Everett to left, and then you have Lee to use as Trade bait for Prospects. Picking up a SP(whether it be Pavano, Clement, or someone else) and another bullpen arm(moving Takatsu to Setup man) which leaves you with a Strong Rotation, a Better Bullpen(Not perfect, but its a start), and a better defense.

That only an example of what you could do, but if you have suggestions, post em.

ewokpelts
09-25-2004, 03:22 PM
But since there has been all this talk of trading Konerko, and I have not seen anyone suggest who to trade him for, so who do we trade him for?

I saw someone mention that the Mets were looking for a Power-Hitting First Baseman. If we trade to the Mets, why not ask for Kazou Matsui? Fills up our MIF hold, and for all you crede haters out there, you can move Uribe to 3rd, and put Harris or Valdez at 2nd. Or, you can keep Crede and put Uribe at 2nd. Gload seems to be handling 1st decent enough, and this would fix our Infield Problem. Thats one hole filled.

Then, you could toss Everett to the Trade bait Dogs(only if Maggs is signed to a small, incentive-filled contract) while keeping Rowand and Lee, and then you head to the FA market. If you pick up Beltran, you move Aaron to Right, and Everett to left, and then you have Lee to use as Trade bait for Prospects. Picking up a SP(whether it be Pavano, Clement, or someone else) and another bullpen arm(moving Takatsu to Setup man) which leaves you with a Strong Rotation, a Better Bullpen(Not perfect, but its a start), and a better defense.

That only an example of what you could do, but if you have suggestions, post em.good ideas...excetp we dont want crazy carl.....keel el cabello.
Gene

Joosh
09-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Well, either way, it leaves the sox very flexable to make more trades, building their farm system again, while giving them a quality team next year.

jabrch
09-25-2004, 05:34 PM
I saw someone mention that the Mets were looking for a Power-Hitting First Baseman. If we trade to the Mets, why not ask for Kazou Matsui?
I'd imagine the Mets would have no interest in this deal...

Champs2004
09-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Joosh, FYI, #16 is retired, and Sandy will probably retire. give Beltran his #15

samram
09-25-2004, 06:18 PM
I'd imagine the Mets would have no interest in this deal...
Probably true. On the other hand, Kaz didn't have nearly as good a first season in MLB as Hideki Matsui or Ichiro. He also made 23 errors in 106 games, which projects around 35, and he apparently has big problems with back-handing grounders. If the Sox are going to adjust the pitching staff to get more grounders thrown due to the Cell's launching pad status, it would be good to have a sure-handed guy at SS. There's too many solid SS on the market to take little Matsui.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of available guys that would be of equal value if the Sox trade Konerko. If they do it, it would probably be for 2 good players.

DVsoxfan
09-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Probably true. On the other hand, Kaz didn't have nearly as good a first season in MLB as Hideki Matsui or Ichiro. He also made 23 errors in 106 games, which projects around 35, and he apparently has big problems with back-handing grounders. If the Sox are going to adjust the pitching staff to get more grounders thrown due to the Cell's launching pad status, it would be good to have a sure-handed guy at SS. There's too many solid SS on the market to take little Matsui.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of available guys that would be of equal value if the Sox trade Konerko. If they do it, it would probably be for 2 good players.
I agree, Kaz is worse than Jose at SS. Lets get Vizquel this offseason. If we make a run at Beltran, which I hope we do, we can hopefully trade either PK or Lee for a top starter and a reliever. This way, we wouldn't need to overpay for Pavano, Clement, or any other FA pitcher for that matter. There aren't too many good FA starting pitchers. The one's that are out there will be highly sought after by higher payroll teams that will outbid us, particularlly the Yankees. Hopefully Beltran will change agents, and we won't get outbid for him as well.

cornball
09-25-2004, 09:18 PM
I agree, Kaz is worse than Jose at SS. Lets get Vizquel this offseason. If we make a run at Beltran, which I hope we do, we can hopefully trade either PK or Lee for a top starter and a reliever. This way, we wouldn't need to overpay for Pavano, Clement, or any other FA pitcher for that matter. There aren't too many good FA starting pitchers. The one's that are out there will be highly sought after by higher payroll teams that will outbid us, particularlly the Yankees. Hopefully Beltran will change agents, and we won't get outbid for him as well.
My understanding is Beltran already switched agents.

Secondly, IMHO the Sox with have to outbid or overpay for all top FA. If the same money is offered by the Braves or Red Sox or Cubs or Dodgers ect.... my opinion is most players would choose the other club unless we overpay. Based on winning, history, media coverage or exposure. endorsements...... as an example. Believe me i hope like you do, but it is a long shot.

Whitesox029
09-25-2004, 10:58 PM
I have suggested just that, many times. We should trade him to no one for nobody. I would only even consent to think about beginning to accept a trade of Konerko if we got a top of the line ace starter, ala Mark Mulder, Johan Santana.

compy75
09-25-2004, 11:46 PM
I have suggested just that, many times. We should trade him to no one for nobody. I would only even consent to think about beginning to accept a trade of Konerko if we got a top of the line ace starter, ala Mark Mulder, Johan Santana.
:redneck Top the line starter for a guy who hit .240 last season? Who had 3 hits all of September? He's 29, this is only the 2nd time he has surpassed 30 home runs in his career. He's hit .300 ONCE, never had an OBP over .365, has 2 100 RBI seasons, and has a large habi of hitting into double plays.

Some other stats of note:

-Hitting .243 avg .301 OBP and .411 SLG away from the Cell
-.860 OPS since the AS break, comparatively speaking Gload is at .938 in 100 ABs since the break

Reality is, There is no way we could ever get a front line guy for Pauly. Just not going to happen. Heck we couldn't get ODALIS PEREZ for Frank. The reason so many have sided with dealing Konerko is more to:

1) breakup the All or Nothing lineup
2) Give us payroll flexibility
3) Get us SOMETHING of value back in a deal

Reality is you only get a front line with a "superstud" young player, Konerko though having a nice season THIS year is neither.

nodiggity59
09-26-2004, 12:22 AM
:redneck Top the line starter for a guy who hit .240 last season? Who had 3 hits all of September? He's 29, this is only the 2nd time he has surpassed 30 home runs in his career. He's hit .300 ONCE, never had an OBP over .365, has 2 100 RBI seasons, and has a large habi of hitting into double plays.

Some other stats of note:

-Hitting .243 avg .301 OBP and .411 SLG away from the Cell
-.860 OPS since the AS break, comparatively speaking Gload is at .938 in 100 ABs since the break

Reality is, There is no way we could ever get a front line guy for Pauly. Just not going to happen. Heck we couldn't get ODALIS PEREZ for Frank. The reason so many have sided with dealing Konerko is more to:

1) breakup the All or Nothing lineup
2) Give us payroll flexibility
3) Get us SOMETHING of value back in a deal

Reality is you only get a front line with a "superstud" young player, Konerko though having a nice season THIS year is neither.
I think bullpen relief, plus a middle infielder better than Willie, plus a pitching prospect would do it for me. Plus, we'd save at least $4-5 mil.

I have no idea if Baltimore would do it or if these playersare injured/declined, but say BJ Ryan and Hairston plus a close to MLB ready pitching prospect is an acceptable package.

The front line starter becomes more likely if we move salary. At any rate, moving salary will help us get a BETTER pitcher, if not a 1st rate one.

idseer
09-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Lets get Vizquel this offseason.
gee, can't we find someone a little older? :?: