PDA

View Full Version : Braves win 13th straight division crown

Procol Harum
09-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Gotta hand it to the ownership, management, scouts, minor league organization, coaching staff and, most of all, the players down in Hotlanta. Man, what would you give to have a run like that, fellow White Sox fans???

And, yeah, they've only won a "measly" one world champeenship in that run, but what would it be like to have a shot, year in and year out?? But, hey, we've got Jerry Reinsdorf :?:

:reinsy
"I've told you all that what I really want is to win a world championship in baseball--just like all of you want to win the state lottery!"

OEO Magglio
09-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Gotta hand it to the ownership, management, scouts, minor league organization, coaching staff and, most of all, the players down in Hotlanta. Man, what would you give to have a run like that, fellow White Sox fans???

And, yeah, they've only won a "measly" one world champeenship in that run, but what would it be like to have a shot, year in and year out?? But, hey, we've got Jerry Reinsdorf :?:

"I've told you all that what I really want is to win a world championship in baseball--just like all of you want to win the state lottery!"
Absolutely unbelievable, it's amazing how they keep doing it, I thought they had absolutely not shot coming into this season. Gotta hand it to Mr. Schuerhultz(sp?) and Mr. Cox.

chisoxt
09-25-2004, 10:54 AM
If you are the Philadelphia Phillies, you have to be kicking yourselves. Granted, they had a lot of injury problems, but that Division was there for the taking.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm green with envy because I truly don't believe Atlanta's fans deserve this sort of prosperity. They were front runners before the Braves got good, and they've continued to be front runners now that the team wins year after year.

It's not too hard to put your finger on why Atlanta wins and the Sox don't, year after stinking year. Atlanta puts all their emphasis on the pitching staff and is never afraid to lock up MORE THAN ENOUGH QUALITY ARMS to do the job, not just in the rotation but the bullpen, too. Atlanta also has no problem signing pitchers to long-term contracts if they think they'll hold up well.

And what do the Sox do?

:hawk
"Yessir, Jon Garland is going to win 18 games this season... I think... I pray."

:schueler
"At this point in their careers, Jaime Navarro is who we want, not Roger Clemens. Jaime is an inning eater!"

:KW
"I got the GM job because the Sox identified me as an astute evaluator of major league talent and developer of minor league prospects. For example, Todd Ritchie was worth every bit of the three worthless piles of crap my minor league system developed."

"Pitching is expensive which is why for 15+ years my rotation has always been comprised of young apprentices that haven't earned the right to free agent riches. McDowell, Fernandez, Hernandez, Buehrle, and so on and so forth... you can never have enough pitching, so why bother?"

:ohno
"And that's why the few Sox Fans left to cheer for this outfit too often look like this."

Brian26
09-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Am I correct in saying they aren't counting the strike season in that run? That would make it 14 straight years?

samram
09-25-2004, 06:29 PM
I actually thought the Braves were going to be one of the worst teams in the NL, and they started that way. Who knew Jaret Wright would win 15 games with an ERA around 3.3? I really can't believe they're doing this with Chipper Jones hitting .250 with only 90 RBIs. They do have a great bullpen though- even Antonio Alfonseca and Juan Cruz have been good this year for them.

marlins03
09-25-2004, 09:49 PM
whatever we basically dont care if braves won another division. because they always seem to lose in the postseason

OEO Magglio
09-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Am I correct in saying they aren't counting the strike season in that run? That would make it 14 straight years?
Correct.

santo=dorf
09-25-2004, 10:44 PM
No, the Expos had the best record in baseball during 1994. It's 13 years.

whitesoxwilkes
09-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Absolutely unbelievable, it's amazing how they keep doing it, I thought they had absolutely not shot coming into this season. Gotta hand it to Mr. Schuerhultz(sp?) and Mr. Cox.
Hell, I thought they had no shot when they played here in June. Didn't think the visiting team on the field that night would end up being a division champion, that's for sure.

dpbyron
09-26-2004, 01:37 AM
Honestly, the fact that they have only won ONE championship during that span is almost as amazing as the streak itself.

If memory serves me correct they have lost 4 times in the series.. 91-Twins 92-Blue Jays and 96 and 99 to the Yankee$$$$$.....

NOTE: I would give anything in the world for Sox to win ONE division title at this point let alone 13!

ewokpelts
09-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Honestly, the fact that they have only won ONE championship during that span is almost as amazing as the streak itself.

If memory serves me correct they have lost 4 times in the series.. 91-Twins 92-Blue Jays and 96 and 99 to the Yankee$$$$$.....

NOTE: I would give anything in the world for Sox to win ONE division title at this point let alone 13!5 world series appearances...13 division titles.......with every year a chance to make it all the way....AND A CHAMPIONSHIP...i'd give my first born for that.....
Gene

HomeFish
09-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Let's just hope they end the season with a big sweep...

Nard
09-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Really gotta hand it to the Braves this year. Absolutely incredible overachieving... they didn't have a chance going into the season.

Bobby Cox already stated early in the season before they pulled ahead that this is the most proud he's felt of one of his teams for a long time. Absolute no-names like Nick Green just coming out and playing good ball.

I sure wish our guys could just do some normal achieving, let alone overachieving.

Procol Harum
09-27-2004, 10:07 AM
I sure wish our guys could just do some normal achieving, let alone overachieving.
Boy, how about that!! :bandance:

jackbrohamer
09-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Atlanta also proved this year that it is possible to slash payroll without becoming a doormat and devoting several years to "rebuilding." An anti-Reinsdorf approach.