PDA

View Full Version : Sox 2002 payroll already 44 million


Jerry_Manuel
10-07-2001, 12:32 AM
From the Trib:
Note: I have cut out sections of the article
White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf nearly doubled the team's payroll last winter after a division title and a 45 percent increase in attendance over 1999.

The acquisition of $9 million left-hander David Wells in January signaled the Sox were going for broke.

It didn't pan out, and this year's Sox are one of 13 teams that will suffer attendance declines in 2001, losing 181,657 from last year's total, the third-biggest dropoff in the American League.

Will the decrease in gate revenue have any effect on the projected 2002 payroll?

"It's all tied in," general manager Ken Williams said Saturday before the Sox's 6-5 loss to Minnesota.

"Ultimately the chairman is the only one who determines the budget, and he's always based it upon how much we bring in as an organization. Typically whatever we've had available to spend, he's allowed us to commit that to payroll."

The Sox fell one game behind the second-place Twins with one to play as Gary Glover (5-5) put them in a 5-1 hole before leaving in the third inning Saturday night. Herbert Perry's three-run homer in the eighth pulled the Sox to within 6-5, but Twins reliever Eddie Guardado stranded the tying run on second in the ninth to end it.

The focus turns to 2002, and the Sox already have committed $44 million to 10 players: Magglio Ordonez, Frank Thomas, Ray Durham, Jose Valentin, Royce Clayton, Paul Konerko, Antonio Osuna, Bob Howry, Sandy Alomar Jr. and Jim Parque. Closer Keith Foulke could get another $6 million in arbitration, putting them at $50 million for only 11 players, although it should be noted that $4 million of Thomas' salary is deferred.

Regardless of whether he pares the payroll, Williams insisted he would not destroy the team's nucleus.

"I'm preparing for a few different scenarios, none of which involves breaking up what we think is still going to be a very competitive team next season," he said.

LongDistanceFan
10-07-2001, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
The acquisition of $9 million left-hander David Wells in January signaled the Sox were going for broke.

Will the decrease in gate revenue have any effect on the projected 2002 payroll?


The focus turns to 2002, and the Sox already have committed $44 million to 10 players: Magglio Ordonez, Frank Thomas, Ray Durham, Jose Valentin, Royce Clayton, Paul Konerko, Antonio Osuna, Bob Howry, Sandy Alomar Jr. and Jim Parque. Closer Keith Foulke could get another $6 million in arbitration, putting them at $50 million for only 11 players, although it should be noted that $4 million of Thomas' salary is deferred.

great article

ref wells, i still think that that trade and money was well spent, on the hindsight, its ashamed that he got hurt, i think the season would've be different, esp with him in the lineup. i hope he comes back with an incentive laden contract.

ref to the gate revenue, we beat that subject to the ground, its funny, but that reporter who covers the sox in the trib, even he said what we been saying for a long time, decreased the upper deck prices. i like what a poster said last week, cut them in 1/2 during the week days. great idea.

ref 2002, 44 mil is not cheap and that shows that the sox will spend money. my problem with that is we spend moeny on the wrong players. bob howry, royce clayton, come on..... enuf said there, but lets get real....... waste of money.

ref sandy alomar jr, does anybody think that his presence help our catcher and the young pitching???

Daver
10-07-2001, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

ref sandy alomar jr, does anybody think that his presence help our catcher and the young pitching???

I thought signing Alomar in the first place was a knee jerk reaction to not re-signing Charles Johnson.Alomar adds very little to this team,and his defensive skills were average at best in his prime.

But then again what the hell do I know?