PDA

View Full Version : Arne Harris dies

Vsahajpal
10-07-2001, 12:05 AM
Rest in Peace, Arne

Arne Harris, the legendary producer-director for Cubs baseball, died Saturday. He collapsed while eating dinner at a restaurant with his wife, Arlene, and current Cubs announcer Chip Caray.

Harris worked at WGN-Ch. 9 for more than 40 years. For the last 38 years, he served as producer-director of the Cubs' broadcasts. The man behind the men in the booth, including Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray, Harris is credited with being a pioneer in televising baseball.

"We lost a giant," said Bob Vorwald, director of production at WGN. "He was a legend to millions of Cubs fans. He taught us how to watch baseball. We're just in shock."

Vorwald said Sunday's season finale, which will be on WGN, will be a tribute to Harris.

"I love him like a father. He was an original," said Mark Brady, a WGN associate producer. "He spent so much time on the road, but at least he had his wife with him [Saturday night]."

duke of dorwood
10-07-2001, 12:08 AM
He helped make our local baseball coverage the best around.

We will miss him.

WinningUgly!
10-07-2001, 12:21 AM
He taught us how to watch baseball.

Sorry to hear 'ol Arne died. I hope he wasn't the one behind the "great" camera shot we get whenever Samme hits a deep fly ball. Ya know, the one that the cameraman jerks the camera up into the sky, like he's lost the damn baseball in the clouds! R.I.P. Arne...

He collapsed while eating dinner at a restaurant with his wife, Arlene, and current Cubs announcer Chip Caray.

That'd do it to me too!

Pete Ward
10-07-2001, 08:52 AM
Arne Harris ...Chicago will miss him.

He was one of the good guys!

GASHWOUND
10-07-2001, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Rest in Peace, Arne

Arne Harris, the legendary producer-director for Cubs baseball, died Saturday. He collapsed while eating dinner at a restaurant with his wife, Arlene, and current Cubs announcer Chip Caray.

Harris worked at WGN-Ch. 9 for more than 40 years. For the last 38 years, he served as producer-director of the Cubs' broadcasts. The man behind the men in the booth, including Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray, Harris is credited with being a pioneer in televising baseball.

"We lost a giant," said Bob Vorwald, director of production at WGN. "He was a legend to millions of Cubs fans. He taught us how to watch baseball. We're just in shock."

Vorwald said Sunday's season finale, which will be on WGN, will be a tribute to Harris.

"I love him like a father. He was an original," said Mark Brady, a WGN associate producer. "He spent so much time on the road, but at least he had his wife with him [Saturday night]."

Jeez, he collapsed while eating dinner with his wife and chippy?. That ain't good. (duh) I hate the cubs and all, but thats a shame. Chippy was probably yapping as usual and most likely klled the guy. Well, my condolences to his wife.