PDA

View Full Version : Sammy: "I'm not stopping the hop"

Foulke You
09-23-2004, 06:48 PM
From the Sun-Times:

No one has ever questioned Sosa's hustle and commitment. But when asked before Wednesday's game if he wouldn't be better served by not continuing to use the homer hop, Sosa quickly defended his signature move and said he never would consider dropping it from his routine.

''I have been doing that a lot of years and I'm not changing now,'' he said. ''Why should I change, because of this happening one time? The ball just missed being a homer and it came off the wall just right for the outfielder. It shouldn't have been that big a deal because we won the game.''

What a moron. Next time, I hope the hop hurts the Cubs in an even bigger game, like maybe the one that could clinch them the Wild Card or god forbid a playoff game. Would you consider changing it then Sammy? Of course not. This guy is such a tool. He then went on to critique the media by saying that they have a "bias" against him which is an absolute joke because Sosa has to be the most media coddled superstar in the history of baseball. What's the matter Sammy? Mike Kiley hasn't given you enough "atta boys" recently? Try being Frank Thomas for a day Sammy, then you'll know what a media bias is all about.:angry:

Soxzilla
09-23-2004, 07:07 PM
He hops every time the ball goes out of the infield and hasn't bounced.

Then again....

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CARES

Daver
09-23-2004, 07:18 PM
If I was calling a game as an opposing cather against him, he would get drilled in the ribs at every at bat.

LongLiveFisk
09-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Well, once a stubborn jackass, always a stubborn jackass. :dunno:

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-23-2004, 07:28 PM
All the sox fans i know hate sosa. all the cubs fans i know hate sosa. my friend told me he booed sosa at a cubs game. point of the story..sosa is a big cheating show off.

RKMeibalane
09-23-2004, 08:21 PM
From the Sun-Times:

No one has ever questioned Sosa's hustle and commitment. But when asked before Wednesday's game if he wouldn't be better served by not continuing to use the homer hop, Sosa quickly defended his signature move and said he never would consider dropping it from his routine.

''I have been doing that a lot of years and I'm not changing now,'' he said. ''Why should I change, because of this happening one time? The ball just missed being a homer and it came off the wall just right for the outfielder. It shouldn't have been that big a deal because we won the game.''
One time? One time? It's happened more than one time! I distinctly remember Sosa hopping and flying out several times over the past few years. Why is it that we are the only people on the planet who understand what a fraud Sosa is?

Look at the other sluggers in baseball today. Does Manny Ramirez hop when he hits a home run? Does David Ortiz? Barry Bonds? Albert Pujols? Frank Thomas? I don't think so. Sosa needs to get over himself and worry more about the fact that his production has slipped badly over the past two seasons. He's costing his team games (not that I mind that particular problem) with his poor play. I don't understand why Baker or anyone else in the Cubs organization puts up with this piece of trash. Then again, nobody ever accused the Cubs of being smart.

JACKASS ------------------------------------> :shammy

bigfoot
09-23-2004, 08:28 PM
If I was calling a game as an opposing cather against him, he would get drilled in the ribs at every at bat.
Bingo!

JB98
09-23-2004, 08:34 PM
All the sox fans i know hate sosa. all the cubs fans i know hate sosa. my friend told me he booed sosa at a cubs game. point of the story..sosa is a big cheating show off.

The casual Cubs fans still love Sammy. The Cubs fans who actually know the game have tired of Sammy's act.

SaltyPretzel
09-23-2004, 08:41 PM
If I were a pitcher, I'd do the "hop" every time after I struck his ass out.

Daver
09-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Pitchers would get too tired and have to leave in the fifth.........

Cubbiesuck13
09-23-2004, 09:13 PM
One time? One time? It's happened more than one time! I distinctly remember Sosa hopping and flying out several times over the past few years. Why is it that we are the only people on the planet who understand what a fraud Sosa is?

Look at the other sluggers in baseball today. Does Manny Ramirez hop when he hits a home run? Does David Ortiz? Barry Bonds? Albert Pujols? Frank Thomas? I don't think so. Sosa needs to get over himself and worry more about the fact that his production has slipped badly over the past two seasons. He's costing his team games (not that I mind that particular problem) with his poor play. I don't understand why Baker or anyone else in the Cubs organization puts up with this piece of trash. Then again, nobody ever accused the Cubs of being smart.

JACKASS ------------------------------------> :shammy
Bonds has had quite a few looooong singles because of his famous 'I think I will watch the ball hit the ground before I even move' routine. Ramirez has his statue thing. Face it, most hitters today do not put their head down and run around the bases. Scott Roland is the only player I see do that most of the time. Soso's act is more obnoxious and proves that he is a clown.

Side note, The Oz hit a homer one time and I swear he made it around the bases in record time. He said it was because I wasn't used to doing it and was nervous.

balke
09-23-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm glad we aren't associated with this chump's cork. I don't care if he hit 75 HR every season. Good riddance.
:roidduck

"I lubba da fans, da bat boy did it!"

Brian26
09-24-2004, 12:23 AM
So glad this clown isn't associated with our franchise on any level because it would be really, really hard to root for this guy. I absolutely cannot stand his attitude.

davenicholson
09-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Bonds has had quite a few looooong singles because of his famous 'I think I will watch the ball hit the ground before I even move' routine. Ramirez has his statue thing. Face it, most hitters today do not put their head down and run around the bases. Scott Roland is the only player I see do that most of the time. Soso's act is more obnoxious and proves that he is a clown.

One of the things I've always liked and respected about Frank Thomas is his lack of show-boating when he hit homers. I might be mistaken, but it always seemed that he just put his head down and ran the bases. Very old school. But then again, can you imagine the carnage on subsequent at-bats if Sosa pulled his crud against a pitcher such as Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale or Early Wynn? I agree with Daver' sentiment above. I'm not advocating aiming for the head or the knees, but a little reminder to the Sosas and Hunters of the world to behave themselves! :angry:

voodoochile
09-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Can't you just see some pitcher throwing a slider, Sham-ME* swinging wildly to K with men on 2nd and 3rd and one away and the flubbies down by 1.

Then the picher hops, extends his arms and circles the mound with them extended...:D:

It would be on Sportscenter until the end of time and Sham-ME* would talk about bad sportmenship and all the writers would eat it up...

Clembasbal
09-24-2004, 10:49 AM
The casual Cubs fans still love Sammy. The Cubs fans who actually know the game have tired of Sammy's act.So what you are saying is there are around 500 people that are tired of him?

Brian26
09-24-2004, 11:05 AM
So what you are saying is that around 500 people that are tired of him?
:D: Great line!

Cubbiesuck13
09-24-2004, 01:38 PM
One of the things I've always liked and respected about Frank Thomas is his lack of show-boating when he hit homers. I might be mistaken, but it always seemed that he just put his head down and ran the bases. Very old school. But then again, can you imagine the carnage on subsequent at-bats if Sosa pulled his crud against a pitcher such as Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale or Early Wynn? I agree with Daver' sentiment above. I'm not advocating aiming for the head or the knees, but a little reminder to the Sosas and Hunters of the world to behave themselves! :angry:
The bad rap pitchers get for throwing inside causes more pitchers to refuse to own the inside of the plate and/or get into the hitters head by drilling them in the back once in a while. The effect on the game is a player like Bonds hitting 70 home runs in a season. Take away his armor and put him against a ballsey pitcher and see how relaxed his swing is.

DumpJerry
09-24-2004, 07:15 PM
If I was calling a game as an opposing cather against him, he would get drilled in the ribs at every at bat.This emphases my point that if Mr. Sensitive played in the 1950's he'd have one, maybe two career home runs. The reason? It's hard to play when your knee joint is drilled by a 98 m.p.h. fastball on your next at-bat after showing off on a homer.....

Daver, ribs heal, knee joints (especially in the 50's before "modern medicine") don't.

Ahhhhh...the Good 'Ole Days.:D:

Daver
09-24-2004, 07:31 PM
This emphases my point that if Mr. Sensitive played in the 1950's he'd have one, maybe two career home runs. The reason? It's hard to play when your knee joint is drilled by a 98 m.p.h. fastball on your next at-bat after showing off on a homer.....

Daver, ribs heal, knee joints (especially in the 50's before "modern medicine") don't.

Ahhhhh...the Good 'Ole Days.:D:
I have never asked a pitcher to intentionally hurt a hitter.

I have called for more than 30 hit batsmen in a season, twice, in four years, including hitting the same guy three times in one game. Opposing teams quickly learned that the pitcher owned the plate when they played us.