PDA

View Full Version : Why the trade either Paulie or CLee talk?

GiveMeSox
09-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Why do i hear this so much from sox fans, on these boards and on local media outlets. Since when has it been decided that one of them cant stay. The thats leaving is Maggs becuase he priced himself out of the sox organization. Konerko, CLee, and Thomas are the core RBI and power guys. You cant have a team of all small ball on base guys. You need to have a extra base hit threat at 3,4,5 to draw walks and drive in runs. Especialy in the coors field of the east these three guys are all capable for 35+ homers and 100+ rbi. I say build around these 3 as they core and face of the team. Bring in a Guzman, Harriston Jr, and Jay Gibbons to surround our power. Along with a couple of new pitchers we should be pretty solid. I dont think trading a Konerko or Lee for an on base hitter or an Odalis Perez is going to help anything. Sure konerko and lee make 7 and 8 mil, but thats exactly what you should be paying you big rbi producers. You cant cut coreners everywhere.

SS - Guzman
CF - Rowand
DH - Thomas
1B - Konerko
LF - Lee
RF - Catalanatto
2B - Harriston Jr
C - Davis/Burke
3B - Uribe, Crede

Sounds pretty solid to me, and nothing that will break the bank either.

DVsoxfan
09-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Why do i hear this so much from sox fans, on these boards and on local media outlets. Since when has it been decided that one of them cant stay. The thats leaving is Maggs becuase he priced himself out of the sox organization. Konerko, CLee, and Thomas are the core RBI and power guys. You cant have a team of all small ball on base guys. You need to have a extra base hit threat at 3,4,5 to draw walks and drive in runs. Especialy in the coors field of the east these three guys are all capable for 35+ homers and 100+ rbi. I say build around these 3 as they core and face of the team. Bring in a Guzman, Harriston Jr, and Jay Gibbons to surround our power. Along with a couple of new pitchers we should be pretty solid. I dont think trading a Konerko or Lee for an on base hitter or an Odalis Perez is going to help anything. Sure konerko and lee make 7 and 8 mil, but thats exactly what you should be paying you big rbi producers. You cant cut coreners everywhere.

SS - Guzman
CF - Rowand
DH - Thomas
1B - Konerko
LF - Lee
RF - Catalanatto
2B - Harriston Jr
C - Davis/Burke
3B - Uribe, Crede

Catalanatto resigned (option??) with the Blue Jays...

mdep524
09-23-2004, 05:44 PM

SS - Guzman
CF - Rowand
DH - Thomas
1B - Konerko
LF - Lee
RF - Catalanatto
2B - Harriston Jr
C - Davis/Burke
3B - Uribe, Crede

Frank Catalanatto already signed an extention with Toronto, so he is off the market.

Also, and this just may be me, but I cannot stand Christian Guzman. First of all, he is vastly overrated by many here. His OBP right now is an unimpressive .311, he doesn't steal many bases (he has 10 this year), has very little power (8 HRs) and his defense is not pretty. Juan Uribe, who I am so-so on as it is, is better than Guzman in every category I mentioned (except SBs, where Uribe has actually be thrown out more than he's been successful :o:) Anyway, I'll pass on the thug Guzman.

Brian26
09-23-2004, 05:50 PM
I hate having to sign ex-Twins and Indians. It's just hard to root for these guys when we've battled them for so many years. And, if we were to win a title with them on our roster, it would almost take some of the fun out of it. Seems like you would want to win with talent acquired on your own...not by robbing the competition.

Then again, the Cubs make a living off that (Aramis Ramirez anyone?)

hold2dibber
09-23-2004, 06:04 PM

SS - Guzman
CF - Rowand
DH - Thomas
1B - Konerko
LF - Lee
RF - Catalanatto
2B - Harriston Jr
C - Davis/Burke
3B - Uribe, Crede

Without trading Konerko or Lee, the Sox won't have the money (or, I should say, won't spend the money) to sign any Catalanotto (who's off the market anyway) or Guzman (who, IMHO, sucks). More importantly, without moving one of those guys, the Sox won't have any money to sign any pitching - and that's what they need more than anything else. For the $8 million owed to Konerko next year, the Sox probably could have, for example, Carl Pavano. And if they could trade Konerko for, for example, Hairston Jr., B.J. Ryan and a prospect, their payroll barely goes up and you have improved your rotation, your line-up and your bullpen in one fell swoop (and don't forget, the Sox still have a full year of Everett, who, if healthy, should be good for about 25 hr and 85 RBIs, making up for a good chunk of the production you'd lose by trading PK or CLee).

spanishwhite
09-23-2004, 06:25 PM
And if they could trade Konerko for, for example, Hairston Jr., B.J. Ryan and a prospect, their payroll barely goes up and you have improved your rotation, your line-up and your bullpen in one fell swoop (and don't forget, the Sox still have a full year of Everett, who, if healthy, should be good for about 25 hr and 85 RBIs, making up for a good chunk of the production you'd lose by trading PK or CLee).
Wow, I was thinking about a Konerko for Roberts and Ryan, but your trade is about as even and advantagous for the Sox. Eerie.

Huisj
09-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Everett, who, if healthy,
that's a big deeppink if

hold2dibber
09-23-2004, 06:36 PM
that's a big deeppink if
You're probably right, but in any event, but the fact remains that Everett is going to be on the payroll next year, and that provides some additional impetus for moving Lee or Konerko, IMHO. And even if he only plays in 100 games, he still has some pop and will provide additional power in place of Lee/Konerko.

HITMEN OF 77
09-23-2004, 07:05 PM
What about Timo?

MRKARNO
09-23-2004, 07:14 PM
What about Timo?
Timo is a fine reserve outfielder, but a terrible starting option.

misty60481
09-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Lets trade Everette and keep PK & C. Lee we cant replace 30 - 40 HRs and 200 RBIs---

Lip Man 1
09-23-2004, 09:21 PM
If you want quality you have to trade quality.

Only in some fantasy geek's world can the Sox trade say Timo Perez and get three very good players.

The real question this off season, if the Sox truly intend to change the makeup of their team is, can Kenny Williams do what Roland Hemond did in the off season after 1970. Get two good players for every one the Sox traded.

Lip

Whitesox029
09-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Without trading Konerko or Lee, the Sox won't have the money (or, I should say, won't spend the money) to sign any Catalanotto (who's off the market anyway) or Guzman (who, IMHO, sucks). More importantly, without moving one of those guys, the Sox won't have any money to sign any pitching - and that's what they need more than anything else. For the $8 million owed to Konerko next year, the Sox probably could have, for example, Carl Pavano. And if they could trade Konerko for, for example, Hairston Jr., B.J. Ryan and a prospect, their payroll barely goes up and you have improved your rotation, your line-up and your bullpen in one fell swoop (and don't forget, the Sox still have a full year of Everett, who, if healthy, should be good for about 25 hr and 85 RBIs, making up for a good chunk of the production you'd lose by trading PK or CLee).Everett is done, IMO. He's too old to give 25-85.

soltrain21
09-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Everett is done, IMO. He's too old to give 25-85.

He is like 33, isn't he?

hold2dibber
09-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Everett is done, IMO. He's too old to give 25-85.
I dunno; I think if he's healthy he can still put up numbers. He hit 28 dingers juts last year. But the big if is his health. He's not so old that he couldn't stay healthy for the year. In any event, the Sox are likely stuck with him, so I think you have to try like hell to motivate him to come into next year in great shape and hope he can stay in the line-up. Because the $4 million the Sox will be paying him next year is a pretty large piece of change for the Sox.

hold2dibber
09-24-2004, 07:51 AM
If you want quality you have to trade quality.

Only in some fantasy geek's world can the Sox trade say Timo Perez and get three very good players.

The real question this off season, if the Sox truly intend to change the makeup of their team is, can Kenny Williams do what Roland Hemond did in the off season after 1970. Get two good players for every one the Sox traded.

Lip
First of all, as a fantasy baseball geek, I'd just like to say that there ain't no way anyone would trade you 3 very good players (or even one half-way decent player) in a fantasy league for Timo Perez! If only it were that easy.:D:

But I completely agree with your point. The reason that Sox would trade Lee or Konerko instead of Everett is that you can't get anybody who's any good for Everett. You can get someone who's good for Konerko or Lee.

soxtalker
09-24-2004, 08:09 AM

Lip

It's a good question. KW has made a lot of trades, but I can't recall one that involved dealing a recognized top-knotch player (from our side) for a couple of lesser-recognized players (from the other side). He's been reasonably good on minor trades, so there is a possibility he'll do ok. Just seems like foreign territory to him.