PDA

View Full Version : Foulke blows two saves in a row!

StillMissOzzie
09-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Somehow lost amid all the fanfare of the last two Red Sox extra inning victories is that Keith Foulke has blown two saves in a row. He managed to get a victory instead when the BoSox came up with 2 in the bottom of the 9th after he gave up two in the top of the frame, to get a 3-2 victory. The following night, he blew the save but got no decision, when it took until the 12th inning for the Red Sox to get the win. I'm beginning to think of Foulke as a bit of a choke artist...

SMO

SergeantMahoney
09-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Somehow lost amid all the fanfare of the last two Red Sox extra inning victories is that Keith Foulke has blown two saves in a row. He managed to get a victory instead when the BoSox came up with 2 in the bottom of the 9th after he gave up two in the top of the frame, to get a 3-2 victory. The following night, he blew the save but got no decision, when it took until the 12th inning for the Red Sox to get the win. I'm beginning to think of Foulke as a bit of a choke artist...

SMO
Two in a row! Gosh, maybe that trade for Billy Koch wasn't that bad after all.

SoxxoS
09-23-2004, 05:07 PM
I got in a argument with maurice about it last year, and he blew a big game in the playoffs, and I'll say it again...

Keith Foulke has major trouble closing the "big games." Period. I wouldn't call him a choker, but it's getting there. About as far from automatic as you want to be come playoff time.

OEO Magglio
09-23-2004, 05:12 PM
I got in a argument with maurice about it last year, and he blew a big game in the playoffs, and I'll say it again...

Keith Foulke has major trouble closing the "big games." Period. I wouldn't call him a choker, but it's getting there. About as far from automatic as you want to be come playoff time.
No doubt SoxxoS, keith blows big saves all the time, I agree it's getting to that point where you can almost call him a choke artist. That being said, can he pitch for the sox again? :?: :D:

dpbyron
09-23-2004, 05:18 PM

Keith Foulke has major trouble closing the "big games." Period. I wouldn't call him a choker, but it's getting there. About as far from automatic as you want to be come playoff time.I WILL caller him a choker. Let's see... 2000 gave up a big two-run homer to Sam-Me in the 9th of the friday night game at home to tie the game. (We did eventually win in extra innings)... 2000 playoffs game 1.... I also remember him blowing a couple of three run leads in Minnesota and Seattle in 2001 and 2002.... He also blew a couple of big games in Cleveland that year.

Isn't this the same guy who told JM that he needed a break from the closers role and then whined when he didn't get it back? Yes Billy Koch blew chunks, but Foulke can't handle the big games..... :angry:

maurice
09-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Two in a row! Gosh, maybe that trade for Billy Koch wasn't that bad after all.
Yep, Foulke sure hurt his team by losing those two big games against a huge division rival. What's that? Boston won both games and the team they faced was third-place Baltimore?

But truly great closers like Rivera and Eckersley never choke in big games . . . as long as you conveniently define "choking in a big game" to include "winning against a third-place team in the regular season" and to exclude "losing a game in the World Series."

Get over it, boys. Foulke was perhaps the best Sox closer ever. He's not a perennial All Star because he sucks. He's having a down year (for him), and he's STILL among the best in all of baseball.

mike squires
09-24-2004, 06:06 AM
How is our boy Billy doing these days?

gosox41
09-24-2004, 09:10 AM

That may or may not be true. But what is true is that Koch is a lot worse then Foulke. And did you see Koch in the 2002 plaoffs?

Bob