PDA

View Full Version : 3-Way tie for Playoff Spot

mantis1212
09-23-2004, 03:19 PM
I was having this discussion with some co-workers, and they seem to think if there is a three-way tie for the last playoff spot, that one team will essentially get a "bye" while the two other teams play for the right to play them.

I don't buy it, that's completely out of wack. Does anyone know for sure what the rule is in that situation? The coin flips last week must have something to do with it...

CHISOXFAN13
09-23-2004, 03:27 PM
I was having this discussion with some co-workers, and they seem to think if there is a three-way tie for the last playoff spot, that one team will essentially get a "bye" while the two other teams play for the right to play them.

I don't buy it, that's completely out of wack. Does anyone know for sure what the rule is in that situation? The coin flips last week must have something to do with it...

IIRC, that is correct.

The team with the bye plays the winner of the first game on the road, but I could be off my rocker here.

mantis1212
09-23-2004, 03:35 PM
IIRC, that is correct.

The team with the bye plays the winner of the first game on the road, but I could be off my rocker here.
That is just crazy, the team with a bye gets a HUGE advantage. A round robin would take forever, however...

CHISOXFAN13
09-23-2004, 03:38 PM
That is just crazy, the team with a bye gets a HUGE advantage. A round robin would take forever, however...

Yes and no. While they get a bye, they still have to play one game in a hostile environment.

I guess it's the lesser of two evils, though.

Brian26
09-23-2004, 03:48 PM
IIRC, that is correct.

I think this is correct as well. Still, I rather have to win only one game than two games, even if that one game is on the road.