PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Minosos of the Future for this team?

Baby Fisk
09-23-2004, 11:15 AM
It's great reading about people’s encounters with Mr. White Sox, Minnie Minoso. This man is the best ambassador the Sox could ask for: approachable, upbeat and loveable. People love encountering him in the Chicago area. He loves the Sox, he is a living part of the Sox' history, and we celebrate him appropriately.

Why don't we have more Minosos? The links to a team's past are just as important as looking to the future. However, there seems to be no other “Messrs White Sox” on the horizon. Do the Sox do enough to celebrate past players (thinking of the rift between Carlton Fisk and the Sox organization)? Who will be the Sox ambassadors of the future?

ewokpelts
09-23-2004, 11:23 AM
It's great reading about people’s encounters with Mr. White Sox, Minnie Minoso. This man is the best ambassador the Sox could ask for: approachable, upbeat and loveable. People love encountering him in the Chicago area. He loves the Sox, he is a living part of the Sox' history, and we celebrate him appropriately.

Why don't we have more Minosos? The links to a team's past are just as important as looking to the future. However, there seems to be no other “Messrs White Sox” on the horizon. Do the Sox do enough to celebrate past players (thinking of the rift between Carlton Fisk and the Sox organization)? Who will be the Sox ambassadors of the future?Whan all is said and done, Frank will be the Sox' lasting contribution to baseball history. He is simply the greatest player to ever put on that uniform.
Gene

ode to veeck
09-23-2004, 11:47 AM
I can't say that there will ever be another Minnie Minoso. When you add up the guys baseball stats from the years before he was allowed in the bigs (where he started out as a star) and the years afterwards, he probably has one of the greatest careers around.

Frank has his own uniqueness as well. Nobody ever had a stretch of years quite like his first several years. Each is rather unique in their own way.

Baby Fisk
09-23-2004, 03:14 PM
I guess my point was that the Sox organization does not cultivate its history enough. We are a founding American League club, 100+ years of history, but little of that factors into the way the organization presents itself (in contrast, the Yankees are a veritable "nostalgia/tradition" machine... but I guess it's easier with 26 world championships to work from...) Anyway, other than the retirees on display on the outfield wall, there seems to be little else. In fact, the Sox seem to:

a) ignore the past (Joe Jackson)
b) burn bridges to the past (Fisk)
c) keep feeding the fanbase BS about some glorious "future" that never arrives.

eriqjaffe
09-23-2004, 04:10 PM
a) ignore the past (Joe Jackson)

Well, they haven't ENTIRELY ignored Shoeless Joe, naming him to their all-century team:

http://community.webshots.com/s/image12/9/96/42/140999642xobWSd_ph.jpg

It seems as if the Sox are starting to acknowledge their past a bit more this year, with the statues of Comiskey and Minoso, and the retired numbers on the wall.

As far as the future Minosos on the squad...geez, I don't think anybody qualifies. Frank Thomas is certainly the franchise player, but he's about the worst ambassador you could ask for. Heck, the most gregarious guy the Sox have right now, for better or for worse, is Ozzie Guillen. He's outspoken, and seems to love the Sox like the fans do.

It's hard to find people willing to BE that kind of guy, though, in the era of free agency. Kirby Pucketts and Cal Ripkens are very rare...why bother being "Mr. White Sox", when you might wind up being "Mr. Devil Ray" or "Mr. Free Agent" next season?

mike squires
09-23-2004, 04:24 PM
There might not ever be another Minnoso, especially with the current squad. There have been a few votes for Thomas but I don't see him putting in the time like Minnie does. Harold would be a possibility but he's more approachable in the last few years but he's so quiet. Ozzie is about as good as it gets. But it despends on how long he is the Whitesox manager. These days players/coaches/managers sure don't last long. Wish we could say the same thing about chairmans...