PDA

View Full Version : Sox to Pick Up Politte's Option

JRIG
09-23-2004, 08:14 AM
So says the Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug23.html)

That's a $1.3 million option for Politte. Shingo's option is for $2.5 million.

Remember that when talking about all the money available to be spent this off-season. Any gain from Mags leaving and Valentin leaving has already been eaten up by Garcia, Contreras, raises to various players, and these options being picked up.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Bad news...Cliff Pollitte... a right handed version of Mr. Walk, aka Neil Cotts.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
09-23-2004, 02:05 PM
The scary thing is I read that the Sox only feel that they will need to sign 1 reliever and 1 starter this off season.

I only saw one reliever that should be kept.

jeremyb1
09-23-2004, 04:22 PM

That's a $1.3 million option for Politte.

Not a bad move in my opinion. I'd still rather see us paying around 3 million for top notch set up guys like Hawkins than paying 1 to 2 million to decent guys. There's always a chance we could find a Politte for next to nothing in our system or as a minor league free agent. The Angels have built the game's best pen in that fashion. It's a lot harder to stumble upon an all-world reliever to use in high leverage situations (although the Angels have done that some too hehe).

SoxxoS
09-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Not a bad move in my opinion. I'd still rather see us paying around 3 million for top notch set up guys like Hawkins than paying 1 to 2 million to decent guys. There's always a chance we could find a Politte for next to nothing in our system or as a minor league free agent. The Angels have built the game's best pen in that fashion. It's a lot harder to stumble upon an all-world reliever to use in high leverage situations (although the Angels have done that some too hehe).
We stumble upon a good player in the farm system about once every 5 years. I think Buerhle came up in 2000, so we are due this season! Good news!

1990-Thomas
1998?-Ordonez
2000-Buerhle

Okay, once every 3.3 years we develop a good player. So we are actually PAST due.

Tekijawa
09-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Just think of it this way... at least we won't have to give up any prospects at the end of June to get him again next year!

Jjav829
09-23-2004, 04:51 PM
We stumble upon a good player in the farm system about once every 5 years. I think Buerhle came up in 2000, so we are due this season! Good news!

1990-Thomas
1998?-Ordonez
2000-Buerhle

Okay, once every 3.3 years we develop a good player. So we are actually PAST due.
You're forgetting Jon Garland. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you could add Carlos Lee and Aaron Rowand to the mix. Point taken though.

SoxxoS
09-23-2004, 05:05 PM
You're forgetting Jon Garland. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you could add Carlos Lee and Aaron Rowand to the mix. Point taken though.
Yeah. Let's say 5 in 15 years. Once every 3 years! So don't get your hopes up about Sweeney, Anderson AND McCarthy. Only 1 is going to be good, if KW doesn't trade that one away.

DumpJerry
09-23-2004, 05:05 PM

That's a $1.3 million option for Politte. Shingo's option is for $2.5 million.

Remember that when talking about all the money available to be spent this off-season. Any gain from Mags leaving and Valentin leaving has already been eaten up by Garcia, Contreras, raises to various players, and these options being picked up.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: Paint these teal.

balke
09-23-2004, 06:27 PM
The scary thing is I read that the Sox only feel that they will need to sign 1 reliever and 1 starter this off season.

I only saw one reliever that should be kept.

Does this mean that Robert Person is healthy for next season?!!! AWESOME!

gobears1987
09-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Bad news...Cliff Pollitte... a right handed version of Mr. Walk, aka Neil Cotts.

Lip Pollitte wid well considering he was overworked. He was forced to throw too many inning since the only other RHP available most of the time for a Set-up role was Mike Jackson. Pollitte will be good if you can get another RHP in there so he doesn't kill himself

gobears1987
09-23-2004, 07:56 PM

1990-Thomas
1998?-Ordonez
2000-Buerhle

Okay, once every 3.3 years we develop a good player. So we are actually PAST due. Joe Borchardt!!!

jeremyb1
09-23-2004, 08:00 PM

1990-Thomas
1998?-Ordonez
2000-Buerhle

I think it's different for the bullpen though. We've had Cotts and Adkins in the pen all season. Diaz has been solid in the pen as of late. We just traded Majewski who's a solid bullpen guy. The Angels developed KRod but guys like Donnely were minor league journeymen. Player development takes on a completely different form when we're talking about guys to fill out the pen.

santo=dorf
09-23-2004, 08:19 PM
We just traded Majewski who's a solid bullpen guy. :violin:

Please define "solid" for me. A 1.63 WHIP and a 3.52 ERA for one of the worst teams in the MLB?

Jeremy, if you were GM, would you trade ANY of your prospects?

Daver
09-23-2004, 08:32 PM
We just traded Majewski who's a solid bullpen guy. .
Gary Majewski has been traded by the Sox three times, and has been claimed in the Rule 5 draft, and then returned. This is a solid bullpen pitcher?

This is another fine example of why relying on stats for evaluation means you only get a third of the information needed.

balke
09-23-2004, 09:59 PM

1990-Thomas
1998?-Ordonez
2000-Buerhle

Okay, once every 3.3 years we develop a good player. So we are actually PAST due....... Clee..... Rowand..... Cameron.... Olivo..... What's "good"? Miles.... Graffinino.... Marte..... Diaz.

If you mean GREAT, then yeah we probably are due. But Clee is pretty close to being great, and it hasn't been 5 years.

SoxxoS
09-23-2004, 10:27 PM
...... Clee..... Rowand..... Cameron.... Olivo..... What's "good"? Miles.... Graffinino.... Marte..... Diaz.

If you mean GREAT, then yeah we probably are due. But Clee is pretty close to being great, and it hasn't been 5 years.
I already stated Clee later in the thread...I wouldn't count Olivo as good-just average. I MIGHT give you Cameron, but he isn't that good. The other 4 are definitely below average starters, minus Marte...who was developed by the Pirates.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2004, 11:48 PM
I think the Sox have actually done pretty well in position players (except for catching). They've had guys like Durham, Ordonez, Lee off the top of my head.

What destroys them is the most important factor in today's game... good pitching. They simply don't scout it, draft it or develop it.

Lip