PDA

View Full Version : New Ordonez article in the Cubune

HaroMaster87
09-23-2004, 01:18 AM
"Williams optimistic after Ordonez talk"

Ken Williams made a preemptive phone call to Magglio Ordonez on Wednesday, assuring the ailing slugger he still considers the free-agent-to-be a member of the "White Sox family."

Williams told the Tribune on Tuesday that he was uncertain of the health status of the veteran right fielder, who was placed on the disabled list July 22 with bone marrow edema in his left knee. Williams referred to the condition as "a very rare injury that he has. The blood flow into the bone still is not coming around well enough." That medical uncertainty has made it difficult to negotiate a fair deal.

A phone call to Ordonez Wednesday apparently made the Sox general manager significantly more optimistic about his recovery.

"They've obviously sought out the opinions of a number of top doctors and have gotten to the point where he's now starting to feel some healing with the injury," Williams said Wednesday when asked about Ordonez, who is represented by agent Tom Reich.

"The optimism that they expressed to me today gives me some optimism moving into the off-season. Whether or not we're able to come to an agreement and bring him back or not, he's going to forever be part of the White Sox family. [Ordonez] told me how good he was starting to feel and his rehab will start shortly here.

"We were dealing with kind of an unknown up until recent events. Even more information needs to be gathered as to the prognosis from here on out."

Reports that Ordonez's leg is not healing properly obviously could hurt his value on the open market. Williams says that has not been his intention.

"I remember him sitting on the bench and wondering whether he was going to get out of A-ball or not, and having to offer him some words of encouragement," Williams said. "My feelings for the man won't allow me to hope that his value has been suppressed in any way."

Ordonez is being paid $14 million in the final year of his contract. He turned down a long-term contract offer from the Sox earlier this year and the injury could make him more affordable to the club.

That article just reeks of damage control on the part of the Ordonez camp...

BarbG
09-23-2004, 01:22 AM
Inside word from the Times is that Magglio talked to Mariotti today and said the earlier Trib report was bunk and an attempt to smear him...

HaroMaster87
09-23-2004, 01:24 AM
exactly my point...he's worried about his value and thats it.

Iguana775
09-23-2004, 08:19 AM
"Williams optimistic after Orndonez talk"

Who's this Orndonez guy? what type of tools does he have?

;)

misty60481
09-23-2004, 08:43 AM
We need Maggs I hope all is OK like he said, I am afraid if we dont sign Maggs the money will be spent on the likes of 3 Carl Everette types,

GregoryEtc
09-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Bone marrow edemas are the new torn labrums.

Flight #24
09-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Interesting note in the Southtown today

The stumbling block at the start of the season was the Sox were offering a four-year contract. That changed to a five-year deal, but with a club option for the fifth season. Ordonez said in June that the fifth year without an option was put on the table, but deferred money was an issue
Someone posted a while back that MLB rules had been changed so that any deferred $$$ had to be completely paid within 2 years of the end of the contract. Therefore, in the worst case, if they defer yr1 salary to yr 7(2 years past the end of the deal), assuming a cost of about 4%/yr to Maggs to bring that forward, he would end up with about $11mil in yr 1 instead of 14, and 14mil every year thereafter.

So basically, Maggs wanted a guaranteed 5-yr, $70mil, which many would argue is way more than his value given comparable players making that $$$ and the Sox came back with 5-yr, $67mil. And the Sox are somehow "cheaping out" on him???:?:

Looks like Maggs is the one who wants out. Best of luck to him, but if the MLB rule is accurate and his statements are accurate, he doesn't really seem to want to be here.

kittle42
09-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Why the hell would anyone want Ordonez back at this point? Degenerative knee and worth more in his own mind at this point than he really is. He's like a Garciaparra who actually plays *less*.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Amazing how in 24 hours the organization's story changed isn't it? (big surprise...)

Lip

HaroMaster87
09-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Amazing how in 24 hours the organization's story changed isn't it? (big surprise...)

Lip
Yeah, thats what i was thinking when i started this thread...

alohafri
09-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Inside word from the Times is that Magglio talked to Mariotti today and said the earlier Trib report was bunk and an attempt to smear him...
Doesn't Marriotti write for the Enquirer?

Kilroy
09-23-2004, 03:29 PM
I was reading the Moron's report, and Ordonez claims that all he has is a bone bruise. Ok, if that's all you have and you've sat out this long, there's something really wrong.

Its not hard to see whats going on. Maggs' camp doesn't want anything being said that could hurt his value, and the Sox hope his value falls, even tho they'll never say that. And typically, the Moron will report as fact any position he can find that will allow him to smear any and all things Reinsdorf.

It's been reported for months that Maggs was suffering with the bone marrow edema and that's why they shut him down for the year. Now all of a sudden, that's not true? Marriotti speaks to Maggs and Maggs tells him he has a bone bruise. Did the Moron ask him why a bone bruise has sidelined him for 3 months? Of course not. That would be too close to actual reporting, and we know that ****-bag Mariotti won't do anything like that.

All in all, I'd say that KW is probably saying things that are closer to the truth than Maggs and his agent are. Sorry Maggs, you had the money you wanted on the table and you turned it down. Unfortunately, its going to cost you because you had to have it all now.

Wealz
09-23-2004, 03:49 PM
I think unless he was prompted by a reporter's question -- and maybe even if he was -- it was unethical of Williams to chip at Ordonez's bargaining position by speculating on his injury status.

gosox41
09-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Interesting note in the Southtown today

Someone posted a while back that MLB rules had been changed so that any deferred $$$ had to be completely paid within 2 years of the end of the contract. Therefore, in the worst case, if they defer yr1 salary to yr 7(2 years past the end of the deal), assuming a cost of about 4%/yr to Maggs to bring that forward, he would end up with about $11mil in yr 1 instead of 14, and 14mil every year thereafter.

So basically, Maggs wanted a guaranteed 5-yr, $70mil, which many would argue is way more than his value given comparable players making that $$$ and the Sox came back with 5-yr, $67mil. And the Sox are somehow "cheaping out" on him???:?:

Looks like Maggs is the one who wants out. Best of luck to him, but if the MLB rule is accurate and his statements are accurate, he doesn't really seem to want to be here.
Did you see the Tribune toiday (Friday). Basically it summed up that the Sox think Magglio's injury is serious while Magglio's camp is spinning it off as a bone bruise.

Looks like someone is trying to drum up some market value for their client. I've never known just a bone bruise to cause a player to miss 110 games before.

Bob

thepaulbowski
09-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Did you see the Tribune toiday (Friday). Basically it summed up that the Sox think Magglio's injury is serious while Magglio's camp is spinning it off as a bone bruise.

Looks like someone is trying to drum up some market value for their client. I've never known just a bone bruise to cause a player to miss 110 games before.

Bob
Then you haven't talked to the Cubs trainers yet. :cool:

doublem23
09-24-2004, 09:22 AM
:maggs
Kenny... No one is going to pay me.

Ol' No. 2
09-24-2004, 09:44 AM

BobThis whole "how seriously hurt is he" story is sounding more and more like a concoction of sportswriters too lazy to find a real story. How many times have we seen it before - they ask loaded questions, then report part of the answer to create a controversy. With luck they can create a whole series of stories from thin air, leaving them more time to do whatever it is they do. (Sportswriters really **** me off, if you can't tell.)

It makes no sense at all for Ordonez to try to spin his injury to be less than it is because any team with a smattering of grey matter is going to have him thoroughly examined before forking over dime one. And it also makes no sense for Kenny to try to talk down his value for the same reason - prospective teams will get their own medical report.

Hangar18
09-24-2004, 11:56 AM

Bob
Agreed

gosox41
09-24-2004, 11:58 AM
This whole "how seriously hurt is he" story is sounding more and more like a concoction of sportswriters too lazy to find a real story. How many times have we seen it before - they ask loaded questions, then report part of the answer to create a controversy. With luck they can create a whole series of stories from thin air, leaving them more time to do whatever it is they do. (Sportswriters really **** me off, if you can't tell.)

It makes no sense at all for Ordonez to try to spin his injury to be less than it is because any team with a smattering of grey matter is going to have him thoroughly examined before forking over dime one. And it also makes no sense for Kenny to try to talk down his value for the same reason - prospective teams will get their own medical report.
There's a lot of teams out there without a smattering of grey matter. Just like a sucker was willing to set a whole new market for A-Rod by negotating against himself, there MAY be some team that think Ordonez is worth a 2-3 year contract at decent money.

Bob

Hangar18
09-24-2004, 12:03 PM
This whole "how seriously hurt is he" story is sounding more and more like a concoction of sportswriters too lazy to find a real story. How many times have we seen it before - they ask loaded questions, then report part of the answer to create a controversy. With luck they can create a whole series of stories from thin air, leaving them more time to do whatever it is they do. (Sportswriters really **** me off, if you can't tell.)

I Agree with this assessment Even More. Im Laughing My Butt off at the prospect of Mike Kiley, hearing Ole No. 2's comments here, Dropping his
bagel and cream cheese from the Mets Press Box Food Spread, and Racing
to his computer. We know For a fact the Chicago Media is TOO LAZY
to do their jobs and report something truthful, or even timely.
"with luck, they can create a whole series of stories from thin air"
That is freaking hilarious

MisterB
09-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Point of clarification: Bone Marrow Edema is a 'bone bruise'. There's no hard and fast rule for how long they take to heal. Sometimes activity can be resumed in a week or two, but sometimes it persists for months (Jamal Mashburn has a bone bruise in his kneecap that has kept him from even working out since early March.) It seems the only thing that can be done is non-impact rehabbing and periodically stressing the joint to see if the pain comes back. The docs just don't have all the answers on this yet.

Dan H
09-24-2004, 05:04 PM
There is a lot he said, he saids in this story. If the Sox don't want to sign Ordonez fine. But to float rumors that an injury is more serious than it is is a low blow.

I don't believe that Ordonez doesn't want to stay here, and I would like to be on the talks just to see how generous the Sox have been to him. In any case, if the guy can pass a physical, I would like him back. Joe Borchard is no replacement and neither is Carl Everett. Let's just see how serious the Sox are in the off season about building a real team. You know, a team that can beat the Twins, if not the Yankees. What's 87 years between friends?

Dan H
09-24-2004, 05:05 PM
There is a lot he said, he saids in this story. If the Sox don't want to sign Ordonez fine. But to float rumors that an injury is more serious than it is is a low blow.

I don't believe that Ordonez doesn't want to stay here, and I would like to be on the talks just to see how generous the Sox have been to him. In any case, if the guy can pass a physical, I would like him back. Joe Borchard is no replacement and neither is Carl Everett. Let's just see how serious the Sox are in the off season about building a real team. You know, a team that can beat the Twins, if not the Yankees. What's 87 years between friends?

TornLabrum
09-24-2004, 05:33 PM
There's a lot of teams out there without a smattering of grey matter. Just like a sucker was willing to set a whole new market for A-Rod by negotating against himself, there MAY be some team that think Ordonez is worth a 2-3 year contract at decent money.

Bob
Is Gord Ash still around?

:dumbash

"What's the big deal over a little black-and-blue mark?"

Lip Man 1
09-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Dan:

Exactly. Kenny Williams went to Stanford, he is obviously not a dummy. Every time he opens his mouth there is a purpose to it. Especially when he simply could have said 'I don't know but will call him to find out.'

Now another agent is probably pissed off at the organization.

Lip

gosox41
09-26-2004, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=Dan H]There is a lot he said, he saids in this story. If the Sox don't want to sign Ordonez fine. But to float rumors that an injury is more serious than it is is a low blow.

QUOTE]

If it wasn't serious he wouldn't have missed every game since July.

Bob

munchman33
09-26-2004, 07:46 AM

A few years ago I had a bone adema, also on my femur (just like Maggs). After the M.R.I., the doctor spoke to me like I was about to die. I wouldn't trivialize something if I didn't know much about it.

The femur is the largest bone in the body and one can easily bleed to death by breaking, bruising, or fracturing it.

balke
09-26-2004, 01:11 PM
KW just seems to be playing hardball. It comes off to me like an act to get Maggs' price down legally. We know he's hurt, the league knows he's hurt. Ozzie had that article a week back saying how he regretted not playing for the sox his whole career, and Maggs should do the same so he doesn't regret it. We want Maggs here, and really I feel we are his best option. We'll always give him a shot, and if he goes down with an injury for good, he'll be a hero. If he switches teams and gets hurt for his career, he'll be a great player forgotten.