PDA

View Full Version : Sox postgame comments

Lip Man 1
09-22-2004, 10:26 PM
I guess we know how the season went when nobody has posted a postgame thread twenty minutes after the game ended.

Hey the Sox only need six more wins for a 'winning season!!!' :bandance:

Oh by the way Grilli's ERA is now 7.50. Fits right into that 5th starters role eh?

Lip

MRKARNO
09-22-2004, 10:27 PM
If we'dve had Grilli the whole year pitching like this, we'dve had less 5th starter problems early on.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2004, 10:35 PM
With an ERA of 7.50???

Your logic escapes me. Think back to both games he won this September, at Texas and Anaheim. He was in big trouble from the get go. He was one hit away in the Rangers game from getting bounced in the 2nd inning. Lee's throw to 3rd base bailed him out of a big first inning with the Angels.

Think that's going to happen every time out?

Errr....no.

Lip

MRKARNO
09-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Because he's been keeping us in games and getting into the 6th inning. The other 5th starters were entirely unable to do that. The way our offense was going earlier in the year, it might have been enough to put us in position to win more games out of the 5th starter spot.

mealfred13
09-22-2004, 11:07 PM
ummmmm.......7.50 ERA be damned, I'd rather have seen him out there every time. First of all....6 runs over 6 innings is far better thena 9 runs over 3 innings which happened at least 3 or 4 times during our fifth starter's musical chairs season. Second of all, Grilli has been doing pretty damn well and he's got some nasty stuff. Many of the runs scored off of him were due to walks/errors, of which the walks could have been worked on if he'd gotten more starts in the 5th starter spot.

I love how the coaching staff said "Grilli was our 26th man; he just missed making it on the roster" and then went about NEVER bringing him in for a spot start until all other options had been exhausted. Makes you wonder what could have happened had they not BSed him and actually brought him in when the situation asked for it if they really were THAT close to having him on the opening day roster.

BarbG
09-23-2004, 02:40 AM
I actually enjoyed the game tonight. I like Grilli from what I've seen so far. He had the balls to hit Hunter, and he did just as well as Mulholland, who's been in the league since Grilli was 9.

I took a group of teenagers to the park for a birthday. Two of the boys had never been to a baseball game. I asked why, one said his parents wouldn't take him, the other said "I heard all the people do at Sox Park is drink and get high." By the 2nd inning both were cheering and totally into it, all the way home they were talking about how cool it was, how they want to go again, and they thanked me profusely. Promoting Sox fan-dom, did I do them a favor or introduce them to a world of heartbreak?

The Cheat
09-23-2004, 02:51 AM
Felix Diaz Quality Starts: 2 -- Run Support: 3.66
Jason Grilli Quality Starts: 0 -- Run Support: 8.06

/that is all.

SOXSINCE'70
09-23-2004, 07:14 AM
I guess we know how the season went when nobody has posted a postgame thread twenty minutes after the game ended.

Oh by the way Grilli's ERA is now 7.50. Fits right into that 5th starters role eh?

Lip
I'm so happy I could puke.Hey,at least you don't have the misfortune of watching Judy Garland close out the 2004 season 9/26.As a weekend season ticket holder,this last month and a half has been unbearable.:angry: :angry:

duke of dorwood
09-23-2004, 07:50 AM

Lip
:KW

My winning formula continues

34 Inch Stick
09-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Are you Grilli supporters absolutely stoned. I cannot believe what I am reading. Tell me you feel comfortable going into next year with him in any spot in the rotation.

Tekijawa
09-23-2004, 01:09 PM
I asked why, one said his parents wouldn't take him, the other said "I heard all the people do at Sox Park is drink and get high."
I was at the game last night. But I was too drunk and stoned to remember what happened, Did any one catch the score? I also stole some hubcaps and beat up a few suburbanites on the way out of the stadium, Sorry if any of them were you!!!

:Straitgangsta

Tekijawa
09-23-2004, 01:11 PM
:Straitgangsta
Wait there's no Strait gangsta Smilie??? Who runs this thing?

mealfred13
09-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Felix Diaz Quality Starts: 2 -- Run Support: 3.66
Jason Grilli Quality Starts: 0 -- Run Support: 8.06

/that is all.

You seem to forget that Diaz gave up 6 and 5 ER in 4.1 innings during two of his first starts, and he gave up 6 ER in 2.1 innings in a start against Cleveland. So much for saving the bullpen.

All of Grilli's starts have gone 5 innings or more. And the most ER he's given up were 5 in 5 innings, prior to last night's 6 in 5.1. Those first two shouldn't have happened if Willie got that DP when he should have. Most of Diaz's bad games were not caused by crapy defense, they were caused by him getting rocked. Grilli's starts look well enough to me, and better than Diaz's first handful of starts, especially when you consider, this guy is a 5th starter, not an Ace. And i think he has the potential to be much better than just a 5th starter.

Don't get me wrong, I think both Diaz and Grilli have some nasty stuff. Next season, the jitters should be gone, and I can see both of them doing really well if they attack the zone and not walk too many people (especially Grilli)

/THAT is all.

eriqjaffe
09-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Promoting Sox fan-dom, did I do them a favor or introduce them to a world of heartbreak?

Yes.

jabrch
09-23-2004, 03:19 PM

Lip
You are consistent if nothing else. Like a Broken Record - yet consistent.

Question Lip - do you really believe everything KW is saying and that there is absolutely no posturing going on? Would you rather him say, "we will pay XX for player YY when that is a) against the rules to tamper and b) stupid to say what you plan to do before the season. Is it at all possible that there is something going on other than a plan to really have Grilli as the #5? Sometimes I really believe you post the same thing 3 and 4 times a day just for effect. We all know you hate JR. We all know you hate KW. The same song every day gets old. At least update the tune a little bit? Geez

Lip Man 1
09-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Jabrch:

Wrong again sir. (at least you are consistent)

I don't hate Williams. I think under the circumstances there are no reasonable alternatives therefore he is staying and have stated such. Like Kenny says 'it is what it is...'

What I'd like is for Williams to shut up and say NOTHING. Ever hear of the phrase 'no comment'? Ditto for all the players who keep opening their mouths about the Twins. 'No comment!.'

End of story.

Ditto my feeling towards you and your constant goofy, unreasonable 'optimistic' bent. You're up at the plate with an 0-2 count Jabrch, the Sox record themselves blows your 'optimism' right down the toilet and out into the sewer with the rest of the feces and those who think 'happy days' are just around the corner.

LOL.

Lip

Soxzilla
09-23-2004, 06:00 PM
What is Grilli's era without those 5 runs he gave up in the first inning of the indians game?

MRKARNO
09-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Are you Grilli supporters absolutely stoned. I cannot believe what I am reading. Tell me you feel comfortable going into next year with him in any spot in the rotation.
Absolutely not. The only four pitchers I will currently entertain as being in our opening day starting rotation that are currently in the organization are Garland, Contreras, Garcia and Buehrle. The other guy has to be someone between decent and dominant. What I am saying is that Grilli would have been better than the revolving door of fifth starters that we've had before him and could have helped us win a few more games early on. 7.50 is a lot better than 15.00! I'm not sure exactly the ERA of our fifth starters early in the year but I do know that it was higher than 9.