PDA

View Full Version : Damn cubs!!

soxwon
09-22-2004, 09:08 PM
why cant somebody beat the Flubs?
how hard can it be?
im sick of them winning.
tonight one run, was scored
i know they play crap teams but even crap teams can win a few in a row.
they cant be that good can they?:dtroll:

i said it before
NO TEAM that finnishes 12-13 games out DESERVES to be in the playoffs.

balboner
09-22-2004, 09:11 PM
They've gotten SO many breaks the last few weeks. Not only are they facing minor league pitchers at nearly one per series, but everything little thing is going their way. The Pirates have been a disgrace in their 5 games against the Cubs lately. Lloyd McClendon continues to sit on his ass in the dugout letting crappy players like Castillo continue to bend over for the Cubs. S. Torres has lost 2 games against the Cubs also. The only saving grace from this is that if the Cubs do make the playoffs, the caliber of the teams they'll play is much better than the teams they are struggling to beat now.

shagar69
09-22-2004, 09:15 PM
yeah this game pissed me off. the buc-os had the bases loaded and couldnt get jack out of it. the scrubs scored got a cheap ass run when perez walked in zabrano

santo=dorf
09-22-2004, 09:22 PM
I believe the Cubs will face yet another AA pitcher tomorrow. :angry:

MRKARNO
09-22-2004, 09:27 PM
If yesterday was Grand Theft Pittsburgh then tonight was GTP 2.

StepsInSC
09-22-2004, 10:05 PM
I just got back from the game...that was sad...such a great pitching duel and Perez walked on and in the only run. Plus that catch by Corky to save 3 runs from scoring in the 8th...pathetic.

The Cubbie force was out in full. The state of Pittsburgh baseball is truly a sad affair.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Soxwon asks: "why cant somebody beat the Flubs?"

Errr...maybe because like it or not, they are a pretty good team?

Lip

OurBitchinMinny
09-22-2004, 10:46 PM
I hope they dont get in, but if they dont they should be embarrassed. They have a much easier schedule than the giants down the stretch

kittle42
09-22-2004, 10:47 PM

Lip
It's annoying, but I have to agree. It helps when you play some of the worst teams in baseball. Let's go Mets!

Viva Magglio
09-22-2004, 10:53 PM
The Cubs continue to have the golden horseshoe up their collective arse.

Gosox1917
09-22-2004, 11:04 PM
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I don't care what that minor league team on the northside of town does. Screw them. GO SOX!!!

Vsahajpal
09-22-2004, 11:08 PM
I hope they dont get in, but if they dont they should be embarrassed. They have a much easier schedule than the giants down the stretch
Even if the Giants play terrific baseball?

DrCrawdad
09-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Even if the Giants play terrific baseball?

VIC, I have a question for you, unrelated to this thread and non-Cubbie. What's your take on Borchard? Just interested in your opinion on Joe B.

Vsahajpal
09-23-2004, 01:13 AM
My take is that he's a once-in-a-decade type talent who hasn't been able to figure it out quite yet. I think there are some parallels between he and Corey Patterson; obviously both were bonus babies that were saddled with huge expectations (unrealistic to be sure). Corey was a tremendous football player in Kennesaw during his high school years, and only played baseball to stay in shape during the offseason. I believe he was 15 or 16 when he began playing baseball, 2 years later he was the 3rd overall pick in the Rule IV draft. In a way that's similar to Joe's story; he wasn't a late bloomer like Corey, but half his season was spent developing his football talents. So the result was that both were behind the 8-ball in their development but got by on raw talent initially (Corey at Lansing, Joe at Sunken Diamond for Stanford); as a result they were burdened with those expectations I mentioned. So fast-forward a few years and Corey's progressing...then he runs smack dab into Don Baylor who immediately likens him to Oddibe McDowell and tries to make him a leadoff hitter. Well, that only served to stunt any progress he had made since his days at A-ball. Similarly, Joe began his CWS career promisingly enough but was sidetracked with wrist injuries (can't get much worse for a hitter). To Corey's credit he's overcome a lot of those early impediments, and is starting to realise his potential. In my opinion, Joe will do the exact same thing whether it is in Chicago or not. His makeup is eerily similar to Patterson's, the mannerisms, the way they carry themselves, everything.

StillMissOzzie
09-23-2004, 01:52 AM

Lip
This hurts to say, but the sCrUBS are WINNING UGLY! When the only run in the game for that offense comes when the pitcher gets walked with the bases juiced...

SMO

The Cheat
09-23-2004, 02:47 AM
I believe the Cubs will face yet another AA pitcher tomorrow. :angry:
I caught 2 minutes of the postgame, and Stoney said something about facing three pitchers making their ML debut coming up... :angry:

On one hand it seems like the fix is on... Everyone throws crap at the Cubs. SF, their main rival for the WC, they threw Hennesey in his ML debut for Madux's 300th. Florida, 2 games back in the WC at the time, throws A-baller Kensing.

On the other hand, if the sox were to face these pitchers making their ML debuts, they would make him look like the second coming of Cy Young.

balboner
09-23-2004, 04:59 AM
I caught 2 minutes of the postgame, and Stoney said something about facing three pitchers making their ML debut coming up... :angry:

On one hand it seems like the fix is on... Everyone throws crap at the Cubs. SF, their main rival for the WC, they threw Hennesey in his ML debut for Madux's 300th. Florida, 2 games back in the WC at the time, throws A-baller Kensing.

On the other hand, if the sox were to face these pitchers making their ML debuts, they would make him look like the second coming of Cy Young.
There's a big difference in facing quality MLB pitchers like Daniel Caberera or Wil Ledezma as compared to the rookies the Cubs have faced like Logan Kensing. Cabrera and Ledezma were big time prospects, while Kensing was still in A ball, and generally considered 2-3 years away from the big leagues. I find it amazing that the Cubs announcers/media continue to complain about all their injuries, while the team's they're competing against have suffered more serious injuries. The Cubs lost only one starter for the year, and that was Borowski, who was having a terrible season after he got off the roids. Meanwhile, the Astros have lost Pettitte, Miller, and Everett, while the Giants lost Jerome Williams, Foppert, and R. Nen.
A question I have for everyone: Do you think that MLB would have ever made a team like the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs play a "home" game at another team's place like they made the Marlins play the DH at Wrigley? No way in hell, if you ask me.

CHISOXFAN13
09-23-2004, 10:11 AM
why cant somebody beat the Flubs?
how hard can it be?
im sick of them winning.
tonight one run, was scored
i know they play crap teams but even crap teams can win a few in a row.
they cant be that good can they?:dtroll:

i said it before
NO TEAM that finnishes 12-13 games out DESERVES to be in the playoffs.

I have a hard time with the constant bashing of teams with lesser talent not being able to get the job done against the Flubs when we went to the Shrine and got our collective asses beat it.

Hard to get angry at the other squads.

The Cardinals are going to win more than 100 games. Your theory about them being 12-13 games out and not deserving is pretty lame.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Balboner says: "There's a big difference in facing quality MLB pitchers like Daniel Caberera or Wil Ledezma."
Quality??? You're joking right???

Lip

The Critic
09-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Seems to me that SF is going to overtake the free-falling Dodgers and the Cubs will get the WC as a result. The Giants have 6 or 7 games left vs. LA and if they take care of their business like I think they will, AND the Cubs keep reaping the benefit of minor-league callups, the Cubs will grab the Wild Card.

The Cubs, like them or not, have withstood a pretty harsh amount of injuries to valuable players and still kept themselves in playoff contention. True, they have a relatively easy-looking September schedule, but doesn't that mean that they got through their "tough portion" while suffering numerous injuries? Plus, they've won a fair amount of one-run games lately ( while their 1-run record is still pretty bad ). That is also cause for concern among the Cubbie Cult, because they're getting minor-league callups and bad teams and they're not dominating them like you'd think they would.
With all that said, GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!

Iwritecode
09-23-2004, 10:51 AM

Lip

:roflmao:

This is the same team that is going to extra inning against the Expos and Pirates and barely getting by them.

I don't know what to hope for more, watching them miss the playoffs or watching them go to the playoffs to finally play a quality team...

Hangar18
09-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Best Part about all of this............. Is that I was Bitching about this
schedule last September ! I was watching the pared down AAA versions,
of the Expos, Pirates and Reds last year give the division to the Flubbies,
all the while, the Chicago Media was peeing-their-pants reporting on how
Excellent their September record was ..... and How this is the "best september"
the cubs have ever been blah blah freaking blah. Of course, the Media
never mentioned that baseball has shot itself in the foot regarding revenue-sharing, and that NEVER before, had teams simply just completely given away players to the very same team in their division, thus Altering the fate of the
division and changing "history"

balke
09-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Maybe the cubune secretly bought the pirates and are now using them as a farm system. They kindly asked to see some AA pitching here in the playoff push. /conspiracy

SOXSINCE'70
09-23-2004, 12:11 PM

Lip
Mark,

They swing from their asses for 3 run homers with noone on base,they make the same stupid base running mistakes over and over again,their bullpen closer is 2-9 in 1 run games.You'd think I was talking about the Sox because THEY DO THE SAME DAMN THINGS!!

Pretty good?? Is Jason Grilli and 7.29 ERA pretty good??

They may be OK,but they aren't that good.Puh-leez put
down the sCrUbbie Kool-Aid.

Hangar18
09-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Mark,

They swing from their asses for 3 run homers with noone on base,they make the same stupid base running mistakes over and over again,their bullpen closer is 2-9 in 1 run games.You'd think I was talking about the Sox because THEY DO THE SAME DAMN THINGS!!

Pretty good?? Is Jason Grilli and 7.29 ERA pretty good??

They may be OK,but they aren't that good.Puh-leez put
down the sCrUbbie Kool-Aid.

The Cubs are "Pretty Good" ....... in the sense that they can beat their Wives/Sisters/Moms in a ballgame. A 3rd and 4th place team in the AL CENTRAL is Way Different from a 3rd and 4th Place team in the NL CENTRAL.
Enuff said. The teams theyre playing now ......... ARE A JOKE

maurice
09-23-2004, 01:18 PM
The teams theyre playing now ......... ARE A JOKE
Indeed. It must be nice to play with an unbalanced schedule in a division that has three teams with 82+ losses and a league that has seven teams with 82+ losses (including a team with 104 losses).

The saddest part is that Milwaukee and Cincy were .500+ teams for most of the year but rolled over down the stretch.

Foulke You
09-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Indeed. It must be nice to play with an unbalanced schedule in a division that has three teams with 82+ losses and a league that has seven teams with 82+ losses (including a team with 104 losses).

The saddest part is that Milwaukee and Cincy were .500+ teams for most of the year but rolled over down the stretch.
Don't forget that the Pirates, Brewers, and Reds have some of the lowest payrolls in all of baseball. I've watched a few of the Reds and Pirates/Cubs games and I swear each lineup has nobody hitting over .250. The Reds and Pirates make the Tigers look like the '27 Yankees. Let's hope the Mets are more interested.

IMPACT
09-23-2004, 02:09 PM
The Cubs are "Pretty Good" ....... in the sense that they can beat their Wives/Sisters/Moms in a ballgame. A 3rd and 4th place team in the AL CENTRAL is Way Different from a 3rd and 4th Place team in the NL CENTRAL.
Enuff said. The teams theyre playing now ......... ARE A JOKE
All of the teams in the NL Central are competitive ballclubs. No one is a pushover. Milwaukee can be a pain, although their second half has been terrible. Pittsburgh can be a pain too, especially if you take a look at their lineup- those guys aren't bad at all. Cincinnati has a real decent lineup, but simply no starting pitching.

The Cubs should be beating these teams and are. On the flipside, the Cubs also started playing these clubs mainly earlier in the year when they were full of hope and playing better ball. I fail to see how things don't even out one way or another.

The AL Central has proven itself now to be a better division as a whole. I really don't believe that the top 3 in the AL Central are anywhere close to the top 3 in the NL Central, but if you want to add up Kansas City, Detroit, Cleveland and the Sox and group Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee together and call it like that then I guess I see your point.

Keep in mind also that the Cubs haven't and WON't have an off day through the end of the year. Also keep in mind that they also play Atlanta and the NY Mets, who are throwing Benson and Leiter in 2 games of a 3 games series at Shea. Sure, the schedule looks favorable compared with some others, but not by a longshot. They still have to play the games and win them.

They appear to be doing their jobs. I fail to see the logic behind any of these arguments.

FormerKnight
09-23-2004, 04:58 PM
From June 7th through July 4th the Cubs record was 17-9. During that stretch they played Houston - twice, St. Louis - twice, White Sox - twice, Anaheim, and Oakland. The schedules all even out, if the Cubs would have been 9-17 during that stretch it would be a whole different season and these games would mean nothing. Give them their due.

maurice
09-23-2004, 05:00 PM
All of the teams in the NL Central are competitive ballclubs. No one is a pushover.
Compared to what? Again, the NL Central is the only division in baseball with three 82+ loss teams.

Team - W - L - Games Back
Reds - 69 - 82 - 30.5
Bucks - 68 - 84 - 32
Brewers - 63 - 88 - 36.5

30+ games back with two weeks to play hardly fits any definition of the word "competitive." I've been to both Cincy and Pittsburgh this year and can confirm that those teams are just as bad as their records indicate. Imagine how much worse their lousy records would be if they didn't spend a large percentage of their unbalanced schedules playing one another!

the NY Mets, who are throwing Benson and Leiter
Team - W - L - Games Back
Mets - 66 - 86 - 23

Benson has gone 4 and 4 with a 5 ERA for the Mets. Leiter started off hot, but is 4 and 5 with a 4+ ERA since the All Star break. The third probable starter has a career 6.37 ERA.

The Mets' staff ERA since the ASB is 4.74 (13th in the NL . . . just behind the Brewers but WAY ahead of the last place Reds' 5.96 ERA!), and their hitters are batting a mere .243 (15th . . . just above the Brewers and just below the Reds and the last place Bucks' .237 AVE!).

I agree that it approximately balances out with the Cards' and 'Stros' schedules, but bad is bad . . . and those four teams are bad.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Sox since 70:

They are going to win what 93 games or so? That's pretty damn good. A hell of a lot better then the Sox average of 83 wins since the White Flag Trade.

Why?

It's called quality starting pitching 1 through 5. Makes up for a lot of mistakes don't you think?

Lip

Ozzie the Clown
09-23-2004, 05:54 PM
The only way MLB could have made it easier for the Cubs is if they scheduled them to play the Royals and Tigers the last 11 games of the year.

Foulke You
09-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Sox since 70:

They are going to win what 93 games or so? That's pretty damn good. A hell of a lot better then the Sox average of 83 wins since the White Flag Trade.

Why?

It's called quality starting pitching 1 through 5. Makes up for a lot of mistakes don't you think?

Lip
I also call it $93 million payroll.

Foulke You
09-23-2004, 05:58 PM
From June 7th through July 4th the Cubs record was 17-9. During that stretch they played Houston - twice, St. Louis - twice, White Sox - twice, Anaheim, and Oakland. The schedules all even out, if the Cubs would have been 9-17 during that stretch it would be a whole different season and these games would mean nothing. Give them their due.
It does help that the Cubs are playing these low payroll teams in their sorriest state possible. Which is "September Call-Up Time" where they have guys from Class AA Timbuktu out there to get hammered by an MLB lineup. If they were playing the top division teams in September (when games mean the most for contenders) it could be a different story. This is where the whole "it all evens out" theory gets thrown out the window. If the Cardinals and Astros played all their games against Pittsburgh and Cincy in May and June when some high priced veterans haven't been dumped or benched in favor of younger cheaper players, they aren't playing the same Pirate and Red teams that the Cubs are.

The Cubs caught a nice cupcake schedule down the stretch but I'll admit that they are getting the job done against them. It is just the conspiracy theorist in me that says MLB has given the Cubs this nice schedule 2 years in a row to make things as easy as possible on a TV ratings booster like the "lovable cursed loser" angle. Bottom line, the Cubs should be playing at least 1 series against St Louis and 1 against Houston down the stretch. I doubt the Cards would pass up a chance to keep the hated Cubs out of post season play if they had a 4 game set with them this week.

Ozzie the Clown
09-23-2004, 06:00 PM
So if "el Capitan" had kept us in the race all season, everyone would have been angry about finishing up against KC, Detroit, and KC. I think not.

SergeantMahoney
09-23-2004, 06:05 PM
So if "el Capitan" had kept us in the race all season, everyone would have been angry about finishing up against KC, Detroit, and KC. I think not.
Yeah - seriously man. Some people on this board have serious problems with putting things in perspective. It's driving me nuts. I want out! SYSOP, please kick me off!!

DrCrawdad
09-23-2004, 06:08 PM
All of the teams in the NL Central are competitive ballclubs. No one is a pushover...

CUBBIE FAN INVASION ALERT!

bigfoot
09-23-2004, 07:23 PM
All of the teams in the NL Central are competitive ballclubs. No one is a pushover..... ,
"In a cost cutting move, the Pirates have announced a relocation of their AAA affiliate to Indianapolis. This move will allow the Cubs lower their travel time for those late season games in the future. The Tribune Company thanks the Pirates for this consideration."

balke
09-23-2004, 09:17 PM
Cards/Houston fan invasion ?

soxwon
09-23-2004, 10:15 PM
OH LET EM WIN THE SERIES

THEN WE WONT COMPLAIN ANYMORE, about easy schedules

all cub fans will simply ignore us and keep quiet, cause their lives just ended.

IMPACT
09-24-2004, 12:28 AM

I'm just here because I like talking baseball. The NL Central is not the best division (I'll leave that to the NL East, AL West) but I still think that no wins are exactly gimme's like many of the rest of you do. Ned Yost has Milwaukee hustling every game and Pittsburgh DOES have some underappreciated talent (C. Wilson, J. Wilson, Kendall, Redman, Bay, Oliver Perez, etc.) and any one of those guys can win a tight game.

You have to throw out some of the records and look at how these teams actually play you. Tough, that's all I'll say. There are some times where the wins come a bit easier because you have more talent and a higher payroll, but Cinci and Pittsburgh force your pichers to be on their toes all game. I don't know as much about Milwaukee since their awful second half, but they are irrelevant because they haven't played the Cubs in September.

The Mets, regardless of what some people on here want to dismiss due to trends, do throw out 2 quality starters in this series and one (Heilman) with some serious potential. The Mets are a disaster of a team, but they too have some veterans who can have big games and give ya grief.

It's not just the Cubs though getting a little bit of an "easier ride". Houston plays 6 versus Milwaukee down the stretch, LA plays 4 with Colorado and while the Cubs play 3 in New York and 4 vs. Cincinnati.. they still finish with Atlanta and are being forced to play with no off days.

There were many times when the Cubs could have imploded this season that would have proven these "easy games" irrelevant. Right now, things are looking very good for them because of the 6 LA/SF battles (especially with the narrow gap in the NL West) over the last week.

Everyone gets a lull in the schedule from time to time, but the fact that the Cubs survived June-August (with so many quality teams ..including .500 Milwaukee at the time) just goes to show that if you can weather the storm, the law of averages will work in your favor eventually.

Apparently, that's been the case with the Cubs.

Foulke You
09-24-2004, 11:11 AM
So if "el Capitan" had kept us in the race all season, everyone would have been angry about finishing up against KC, Detroit, and KC. I think not.Yes but you fail to mention that if we were still in the race, there would have been 6 HUGE games in September against the top division rival Minnesota Twins on tap.

MarkM2112
09-24-2004, 11:44 AM
It's not just the Cubs though getting a little bit of an "easier ride". Houston plays 6 versus Milwaukee down the stretch, LA plays 4 with Colorado and while the Cubs play 3 in New York and 4 vs. Cincinnati.. they still finish with Atlanta and are being forced to play with no off days.

True, but since Atlanta already clinched, do you think that they will put their "A" team out there against the cubs in an essentially meaningless game for them? They may rest their regular starters for the playoffs...

balke
09-24-2004, 11:56 AM
True, but since Atlanta already clinched, do you think that they will put their "A" team out there against the cubs in an essentially meaningless game for them? They may rest their regular starters for the playoffs...
As long as Bobby Cox is out there, they have a shot.

Foulke You
09-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Which it exactly sounds like they are going to do! The Murph Score Cub Evening show had a Braves beat writer on as a guest yesterday and Murph was asking him how "up" for the series the Braves will be against the Cubs providing there are no playoff implications for them like home field advantage.

The writer said he sincerely doubts that the Braves will use either Russ Ortiz or Jaret Wright against the Cubs since those are their Game 1 and Game 2 starters for the NLDS. He then went on to say that they may throw Hampton in the Saturday game (if he is feeling ok) but only for a short 4 inning start and the Friday or Sunday game will likely feature a young pitcher (can't remember the name) who hasn't lived up to expectations and features a 6.50 ERA and only a fastball in his arsenal. You could almost hear Murph unzipping his pants and grabbing the bottle of lube on the air when the Braves reporter was telling him this. His voice got so happy and giddy it was ridiculous. Murph does not deserve to have his own show. Nobody that emotionally tied to one team should be on a supposedly unbiased network. :angry:

Anyway, it isn't looking good that the Braves will have a lot of interest in stopping the Cubs in their wild card chase. The writer did mention that Bobby Cox is aware of upholding the "competitive integrity" of the game and would like to get home field in the playoffs but as we all know, this is a bunch of hot air. The Braves are going to do exactly what is best for their team and I can't blame them for it...it is just another lucky break for the Cubs.:(:

Here is to hoping some of those Braves players remember that the Cubs eliminated them in the NLDS last year and they might have some revenge on their mind by sabotaging their wild card run.

StillMissOzzie
09-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Anyway, it isn't looking good that the Braves will have a lot of interest in stopping the Cubs in their wild card chase. The writer did mention that Bobby Cox is aware of upholding the "competitive integrity" of the game and would like to get home field in the playoffs but as we all know, this is a bunch of hot air. The Braves are going to do exactly what is best for their team and I can't blame them for it...it is just another lucky break for the Cubs.:(:

Interesting. Unless either the Dodgers or the Giants run the table against each other, the sCrUBs win the WC and will play the Braves in the first round.

Maybe Bobby Cox WANTS to face the sCrUBs in the first round, and trotting out a few AA pitchers to make sure it happens is all part of his master plan.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

SMO

ChiSoxRowand
09-25-2004, 12:04 AM
And now the Giants are playing like we want them to, and the dodgers are going in the tank, although they won tonight. And now Brad Penny is hurt again. It helps when you face Logan Kensing too.

DrCrawdad
09-25-2004, 12:40 AM
My take is that he's a once-in-a-decade type talent who hasn't been able to figure it out quite yet. I think there are some parallels between he and Corey Patterson; obviously both were bonus babies that were saddled with huge expectations (unrealistic to be sure). Corey was a tremendous football player in Kennesaw during his high school years, and only played baseball to stay in shape during the offseason. I believe he was 15 or 16 when he began playing baseball, 2 years later he was the 3rd overall pick in the Rule IV draft. In a way that's similar to Joe's story; he wasn't a late bloomer like Corey, but half his season was spent developing his football talents. So the result was that both were behind the 8-ball in their development but got by on raw talent initially (Corey at Lansing, Joe at Sunken Diamond for Stanford); as a result they were burdened with those expectations I mentioned. So fast-forward a few years and Corey's progressing...then he runs smack dab into Don Baylor who immediately likens him to Oddibe McDowell and tries to make him a leadoff hitter. Well, that only served to stunt any progress he had made since his days at A-ball. Similarly, Joe began his CWS career promisingly enough but was sidetracked with wrist injuries (can't get much worse for a hitter). To Corey's credit he's overcome a lot of those early impediments, and is starting to realise his potential. In my opinion, Joe will do the exact same thing whether it is in Chicago or not. His makeup is eerily similar to Patterson's, the mannerisms, the way they carry themselves, everything.

A little late in the response, but thanks for the thoughtful comments.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Personally I think it's over, the Cubs are in (again) but if not and it comes down to the final weekend it'll be interesting to see what Proud To Be Your Bud says about the 'integrity' of the game if the Braves throw garbage at the Cubs the final three games. If the Giants and or Houston still have a mathematical chance they'll screem bloody murder and the media will have a field day over it.

Remember a few years ago in the NBA Stern ordered Riley to play his top players in the final game because some teams still have a shot for the last playoff spot. Riley who was already in the playoffs refused to do it and was fined heavily for it.

The point is Stern actually did something to try to protect the 'integrity' of his game, will Selig?

Lip

JB98
09-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Personally I think it's over, the Cubs are in (again) but if not and it comes down to the final weekend it'll be interesting to see what Proud To Be Your Bud says about the 'integrity' of the game if the Braves throw garbage at the Cubs the final three games. If the Giants and or Houston still have a mathematical chance they'll screem bloody murder and the media will have a field day over it.

Remember a few years ago in the NBA Stern ordered Riley to play his top players in the final game because some teams still have a shot for the last playoff spot. Riley who was already in the playoffs refused to do it and was fined heavily for it.

The point is Stern actually did something to try to protect the 'integrity' of his game, will Selig?

Lip
I doubt it. Selig probably wants the Cubs in the playoffs. It would boost TV ratings.

balboner
09-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Ah, another day, another minor league pitcher facing the Cubs. In the last few weeks, it's been Frank Brooks, Nelson Figueroa, Logan Kensing, and now Heilman. Also, I'm sure glad that Gerald Williams is starting for the Mets in the outfield. I thought he retired 7 years ago. Thanks for nothing Mike Cameron and Cliff Floyd.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-25-2004, 01:22 PM
Cubs: Hey Mets..Can we have the wildcard??
Mets: By all means! Take it!

:angry: :angry: :angry: