PDA

View Full Version : anyone see this on the troll board??

Iguana775
07-25-2001, 01:19 PM
wanted to know what you all thought.

Maggs (http://www.chicagorant.com/col_editor.htm)

Foulke You
07-25-2001, 01:25 PM
Trading Maggs would be the biggest mistake this franchise ever made next to signing Navarro instead of Clemens in '96. Even if those players from Seattle turned into superstars they would want big bucks which Reinsdorf wouldn't give them. Not to mention that Trading Maggs would be a PR disaster for the club. The newsapers would be all over "White Flag trade: Part II". Maggs is a cornerstone player who you can build a team around. Trading him would be a huge mistake.

KempersRS
07-25-2001, 01:31 PM
If the Sox could pull off that deal for THOSE prospects, it'd be the best thing that could happen to this team, it'll never happen though. Our staff would be amazing, and it would be young and strong for the next 10 years. Lee, Rowand, Borchard in the outfield still, we'd be set for years and years.

Fisk Fan
07-25-2001, 02:39 PM
I cannot see trading a 40+ 100+ player for a couple of prospects, and considering Maggs is so young, it would be even more difficult to handle. Bottom line is to sign him, at any cost. If we can sign him to a long term deal, we will benefit in the long run.

delben91
07-25-2001, 02:41 PM
Trading Maggs would be the biggest mistake this franchise ever made next to signing Navarro instead of Clemens in

I agree wholeheartedly. Maggs is the type of player you can build a team around. He deserves to be paid good money, he's earned it with his play. If JR is serious about getting a world series championship with the sox, there's no way you let Magglio get away.

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2001, 02:46 PM
Trading Maggs would be the biggest mistake this franchise ever made next to signing Navarro instead of Clemens in '96. Even if those players from Seattle turned into superstars they would want big bucks which Reinsdorf wouldn't give them. Not to mention that Trading Maggs would be a PR disaster for the club. The newsapers would be all over "White Flag trade: Part II". Maggs is a cornerstone player who you can build a team around. Trading him would be a huge mistake.

I know Anderson had an operation recently either in 2000 or in 2001 and if it was this year then we can't make that deal becasue you can't trade a hurt player according to major league rules right KW. :)

Anyway I would trade him if and only if we get Anderson everything I read says he is the real deal. And with him being 6"11 or close to it man you pair him with Rauch in 2 years and you have your own twin towers like the Spurs. How would you like to see that if you are an opposing team?

Sosa: "So who are we facing this series?"
Chimp: "Wells, Rauch, Anderson"
Sosa: "Yeah I have heard those last 2 guys stink"
Chmp: "Well SamME one is 6"11 and the other one is 7"0"
Sosa: Damn

LOL!!!!!

But seriously Kermit could give you the 411 on Anderson, but this guy has been so damn hyped I doubt they trade him.

Joel Perez
07-25-2001, 03:53 PM
If Magglio does get traded, it'll be for an established player or players, not AAA players.

Even if it is Ryan Anderson. The kid has major arm surgery this year, and just like Jon Rauch, won't pitch again until 2002. I know he has enormous potential, but still....

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2001, 03:57 PM
If Magglio does get traded, it'll be for an established player or players, not AAA players.

Maybe you forgot who our GM is?

:KW
George Bell for Magglio? Sure!:)

Joel Perez
07-25-2001, 04:11 PM
wasn't it Schuler's idea to get Bell for Sosa? UGH!

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2001, 04:21 PM
wasn't it Schuler's idea to get Bell for Sosa? UGH!

Yes it was, I just couldn't think of another player past his prime and Bell was the first the guy that I could think of.

:KW
Magglio for Albert Belle?

Joel Perez
07-25-2001, 04:22 PM
Joey who????

LOLOLOLOL *****! That was great.

Albert Belle for Mags....say, isn't Darryl Strawberry still available?

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2001, 04:24 PM
Albert Belle for Mags....say, isn't Darryl Strawberry still available?

:harold
No I am and will be the only lefty on this team that is old and bad.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2001, 04:25 PM
wasn't it Schuler's idea to get Bell for Sosa?

Obviously Flubbie fans think that was the greatest trade ever, but was it really that bad for the Sox? Back then Sosa was skinny little pup striking out 150 times per year. He was one of the biggest reasons why the '91 team sucked after a surprisingly strong 94-win season in 1990. He was sent packing prior to opening day, 1992.

Schueler was trying to get us over the top for a championship. Bell was hardly a help in either '93 or '94 title years, but Sam-me wasn't putting up monster numbers either.

It wasn't for several years that Sam-me suddenly bulked up (how did that happen?) and turned himself into a cartoon character.

It was the right trade at the time, and I definitely wouldn't want "Bozo the Rightfielder" on my team today either.

Daver
07-25-2001, 04:35 PM
Bozo aint that bulky,perhaps Barney would be a better comparison.

Joel Perez
07-25-2001, 04:42 PM
It wasn't for several years that Sam-me suddenly bulked up (how did that happen?) and turned himself into a cartoon character.

Gee, I wonder.....It wasn't :spam or :cleo, that's for sure!!!

Foulke You
07-25-2001, 05:17 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh!! Make Lady Cleo go away!!!! She frightens me.

PHG: I agree completely with your synopsis on the Sosa trade. It always amuses me how Flubbie fans think we're sooooo jealous that they have Sammy. Keep that arrogant bum! I'll take Maggs any day.

IA_soxfan
07-25-2001, 05:38 PM
That is one of my biggest pet peeves about the fans of the baby bears. The Bell for Sosa trade was pretty much a wash, but it depends on how far down the road you look. 1 or 2 seasons, ok. But to say that the sox were stupid for making that trade because Sham-bag came out of nowhere, yes, nowhere, in '98 is ****ing ridiculous. Its not like either the cubs or the sox knew what was gonna happen 6 seasons down the road. Puh lease. Oh yeah, I seem to remember the "brilliant" cubs management let some guy named "maddux" slip right through their cute little baby bear paws. Wonder whatever happened to that guy?</sarcasm>

FarWestChicago
07-25-2001, 05:41 PM
But to say that the sox were stupid for making that trade because Sham-bag came out of nowhere, yes, nowhere, in '98 is ****ing ridiculous.

The current Shaminator didn't come out of nowhere. He came from a pharmacy. :)