PDA

View Full Version : KW quotes, some sound familiar

gosox41
09-22-2004, 07:43 AM
Some KW quotes from todays Trib. Let me know if any of it sounds familiar:

"I haven't talked to Frank since he was here last. I probably will speak to Frank in spring training. I am confident Frank will be healthy."

Good to hear about Frank's health. Now do we have to spend all offseason hearing Kenny complain about Frank not returning calls, etc. I wonder why Frank hasn't been in communincation at all with Kenny.

"You try to emphasize [speed and defense] every year. It is a lot easier said then done sometimes."

Gee, really? It is is supposedly a lot easier to do when you don't lock up guys like PK to huge contracts limiting financial flexibility.

But perhaps the most interesting quote, and the one that pisses me off the most:

"It is a revolving process. What I am going to choose to docus oin now is pitching. We feel like we have a strong staff going into next year. And the way Jason Grilli has come on, it makes the fifth starter spot not a dire need. He has impressed us."

Where to start with this one. First, take out Grilli's name and put in Wright's and you can use this quote last season. Then we can look at Grilli's stats. He has 14K's and 13 BB's in 28 innings. Not enough strike outs and too many walks which is a big reason his ERA is 6.75. Boy, that's impressive.

Then I can mention how KW came out a few weeks ago and said the SOx have a chance to put together one of the best rotations in the AL next season. I guess he spoke the truth, there is a chance. But reality tells me that if the back fo the rotation includes 2 of following guys: Garland, Schoenweis, and Grilli, then it's hardly going to be the best in the AL.

Last, KW speaks double speak in this paragraph on pitching which I pulled directly from the Trib without mixing sentences or skipping things. First he says the Sox focus iis on pitching. It should be and needs to be. Then he says they have a strong starting staff next season. Well which is it?

Go figure. It looks like for the 5th year in a row KW doesn't get it about getting 5 good starters in this rotation. He must be making these cryptic comments about the rotation as a negotiating tactic to drive down free agent salaries. I'm sure Pedro and Pavano are quaking in their boots now and are calling their agents to inform them that the Sox might not be interested in them.

Bob

duke of dorwood
09-22-2004, 08:16 AM
:KW

is just

:andy

thepaulbowski
09-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Another bash Kenny thread. Original.

gosox41
09-22-2004, 08:48 AM
KW wanting to go with yet another unproven pitcher as the Sox 5th starter and being impressed by below average numbers. Original.

If he stops doing/saying bashable items, I will stop bashing him.

Bob

santo=dorf
09-22-2004, 08:51 AM
When was the last time we had a staff that pitched 1-5? 1994? After his performance last night to the Twins' "B" team, I don't want to see Garland in a Sox uniform, ever.

:jon

"But won't you miss my excuses where I blame my teammates and rip the fans?"

idseer
09-22-2004, 09:10 AM
i think way too much is made of what kw says to 'us'. it's mostly lip service and sound bites and what have you. why do we think kw is going to actually 'involve' the fans the braintrust's thinking? i doubt i would.

what he says to the fans is probably the kind of thing you say to casual acquaintances like .... "hey, let's do lunch sometime". it just isn't all that meaningful. every gm in the business likely says things like this to their fans.
who cares? i am more interested in watching things unfold. sitting around bashing managers, gms etc is a monumental waste of time. kw has made some good moves and some bad moves and he probably always will. he's about like the sox ....... average. does anyone here really expect jr to have the best gm around?

soxtalker
09-22-2004, 09:26 AM
i think way too much is made of what kw says to 'us'. it's mostly lip service and sound bites and what have you. why do we think kw is going to actually 'involve' the fans the braintrust's thinking? i doubt i would.

I agree. KW, in particular, and the Sox organization, in general, are normally very secretive. For example, we tend to get some of the best ideas about their thinking on possible trades from other organizations. So, I wouldn't be expecting him to tell us much. And at this point in the season, it is probably worse than normal. Teams that are in contention are focusing on the race. Others are trying to assess just what they have in their systems.

I don't know why one would expect him to be in communication with Frank. Frank has said he's coming back. He's in rehab, so KW might want to know if it isn't going well. Otherwise, KW has many other things to focus on.

kittle42
09-22-2004, 09:52 AM

what he says to the fans is probably the kind of thing you say to casual acquaintances like .... "hey, let's do lunch sometime". it just isn't all that meaningful. every gm in the business likely says things like this to their fans.
who cares? i am more interested in watching things unfold. sitting around bashing managers, gms etc is a monumental waste of time. kw has made some good moves and some bad moves and he probably always will. he's about like the sox ....... average. does anyone here really expect jr to have the best gm around?
I kinda disagree. I think KW says this kind of stuff so as to lower our expectations. I mean, if he says NOW that Grilli may be his 5th starter next year, then we have months and months for that horrible information to sink in.

Viva Magglio
09-22-2004, 10:10 AM
I have no problem with KW bashing, but there are so many anti-KW threads out there (at least one started by me) that I wonder if there should just be a new board created just to bash KW.

jabrch
09-22-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm just looking for an original thought - that's all. It is the same old recycled poop each day.

HebrewHammer
09-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Why is it I get the feeling that Ben Davis will be our starting catcher and put up Royce Clayton numbers and Jason Grilli is just going to be Soxese for Danny Wright.

I'll eat crow if proven wrong, but the parallels are eerie. I also get the feeling that we haven't seen the last of Borchard, if he's our starting RF next year I'm moving to St. Louis.

mike squires
09-22-2004, 10:46 AM
It is kind of discouraging to see the lack of communication between players and general managers. Kenny should know the progress of Frank and his injury AT LEAST on a monthly basis. Isn't Frank working with Herm at all?

Don't underestimate Kenny Williams. I'm sure he's looking for a quality 5th starter. He's just not telling us that.

That being said, Will next year be like the last 3 years? Count on it..

mdep524
09-22-2004, 10:53 AM
But perhaps the most interesting quote, and the one that pisses me off the most:

"It is a revolving process. What I am going to choose to docus oin now is pitching. We feel like we have a strong staff going into next year. And the way Jason Grilli has come on, it makes the fifth starter spot not a dire need. He has impressed us."

Where to start with this one. First, take out Grilli's name and put in Wright's and you can use this quote last season. Then we can look at Grilli's stats. He has 14K's and 13 BB's in 28 innings. Not enough strike outs and too many walks which is a big reason his ERA is 6.75. Boy, that's impressive.

Then I can mention how KW came out a few weeks ago and said the SOx have a chance to put together one of the best rotations in the AL next season. I guess he spoke the truth, there is a chance. But reality tells me that if the back fo the rotation includes 2 of following guys: Garland, Schoenweis, and Grilli, then it's hardly going to be the best in the AL.

I came here this morning to discuss this very quote. My heart sank when I read that KW actually considers Jason Grilli, he of the 6.75 ERA and alarming walk total, a starter for 2005. This is typical Sox BS. gosox41, you're right on about the Danny Wrong comparison. kittle42, you're right on about the lowered expectations. God, the offseason hasn't even started yet and this is just disgusting. It really makes me lose even more faith in KW's ability to do all the work that will be needed for '05 to be promising- this reeks of a half-a**ed patch job.

I'm just looking for an original thought - that's all. It is the same old recycled poop each day.jabrch, while I agree that some things are just beaten to death unfairly (the $8 mil Konerko contract for example- yes, we get it, it was a bad decision, hopefully he'll learn from his mistake, move on!), this particular thought IS an original, because it is based on a comment KW said yesterday. Up until yesterday in my nightmares I didn't see KW giving Jason frickin' Grilli a vote of confidence to star in 2005. And this is coming from me, the guy who doesn't think the 5th starter is as important as others make it out to be. Even in my lowered standards for a 5th starter, Jason Grilli does NOT fit the bill.

jabrch
09-22-2004, 11:09 AM
jabrch, while I agree that some things are just beaten to death unfairly (the $8 mil Konerko contract for example- yes, we get it, it was a bad decision, hopefully he'll learn from his mistake, move on!), this particular thought IS an original, because it is based on a comment KW said yesterday. Up until yesterday in my nightmares I didn't see KW giving Jason frickin' Grilli a vote of confidence to star in 2005. And this is coming from me, the guy who doesn't think the 5th starter is as important as others make it out to be. Even in my lowered standards for a 5th starter, Jason Grilli does NOT fit the bill.I don't for a second believe that KW is planning on coming back with Jason Grilli as our #5. You want him to lay all his cards out on the table now and tell us exactly what he plans on doing, who he is going after, and what trades he is going to try to make, when the season is still going on and he can't comment on most of that anyhow?

I just think the KW is an idiot posts, are old and stale. This will likely aggrevate me all off-season - so I will just have to deal with that...

Oh, and by the way mdep - stop going to the damn games - you are killing em!

mdep524
09-22-2004, 11:22 AM
I don't for a second believe that KW is planning on coming back with Jason Grilli as our #5. You want him to lay all his cards out on the table now and tell us exactly what he plans on doing, who he is going after, and what trades he is going to try to make, when the season is still going on and he can't comment on most of that anyhow?You are right about KW being secretive. In that sense running a team that flies way under the radar like the Sox is an advantage compared to, say, the Red Sox or Yankees, where Peter Gammons reports every time Epstein or Cashman sneezes.

Oh, and by the way mdep - stop going to the damn games - you are killing em!I know, I know. I have one more game in me- Thursday night vs. KC. That'll be my last game of the season, hopefully I can go out with a win.

StillMissOzzie
09-22-2004, 11:58 AM
every gm in the business likely says things like this to their fans.
who cares? i am more interested in watching things unfold.
If this year's activity is in any way like last year's "activity", I'd rather watch my grass grow during the dead of winter during SoxFest than "watch (ing) things unfold" again.

SMO
:angry:

alohafri
09-22-2004, 12:03 PM
When was the last time we had a staff that pitched 1-5? 1994? After his performance last night to the Twins' "B" team, I don't want to see Garland in a Sox uniform, ever.
Garland is the perfect number 5 guy. He pitches over 200 innings a year and will get you about 10-12 wins. We just need someone with the smarts enough to step up and say that he is NOT a number 2-4 pitcher.

SOXSINCE'70
09-22-2004, 12:20 PM
I know KW must approach his job as if he were Jim Phelps,the head of the IMF (Impossible Missions Force.Phelps is the character Peter Graves played on the TV show "Mission:Impossible"),but Sox fans deserve to dream a little.Maybe this is KW's way of throwing other teams off track about his real goals,I don't know.:dunno: :dunno:

Either way,if Jose Valentin,Joe Crede,Joe Borchard are back next year,if Ben Davis can't hit .250 and throw out runners,and if Jason Grilli and his 6.75 ERA are on this team next year,it's gonna be a 4th straight title for the Twinkies.

:reinsy

"You'll get nothing and like it".

santo=dorf
09-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Garland is the perfect number 5 guy. He pitches over 200 innings a year and will get you about 10-12 wins. We just need someone with the smarts enough to step up and say that he is NOT a number 2-4 pitcher.
This team does NOT need a 3-4 Million dollar fifth starter unless Jerry is going to increase the team's payroll to $90 million.

gosox41
09-22-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm just looking for an original thought - that's all. It is the same old recycled poop each day.
Funny. So am I. Let me know when KW does something different to make this team get to the playoffs next season. As long as there's talk of a Jason Grilli type of pitcher in our rotation (for the 5th year in a row mind you) I will complain because he is not needed to help build a winning team.

Bob

gosox41
09-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Don't underestimate Kenny Williams. I'm sure he's looking for a quality 5th starter. He's just not telling us that.

That being said, Will next year be like the last 3 years? Count on it..
Do you mean like he was this season? I'm not underestimating him. I'm just going with the status quo of his tenure. I will be the first to say he made a great move if he signed a Pavano or a Pedro at the right prices.

Bob

santo=dorf
09-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Funny. So am I. Let me know when KW does something different to make this team get to the playoffs next season. As long as there's talk of a Jason Grilli type of pitcher in our rotation (for the 5th year in a row mind you) I will complain because he is not needed to help build a winning team.
Didn't KW already say they were going to go a new direction and build around pitching?

BTW, the Sox haven't had a losing season since KW took over.

gosox41
09-22-2004, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=jabrch]I don't for a second believe that KW is planning on coming back with Jason Grilli as our #5. You want him to lay all his cards out on the table now and tell us exactly what he plans on doing, who he is going after, and what trades he is going to try to make, when the season is still going on and he can't comment on most of that anyhow?

I just think the KW is an idiot posts, are old and stale. This will likely aggrevate me all off-season - so I will just have to deal with that...
QUOTE]

I don't want KW to lay out his cards. But he is making some questionable comments that need to be addressed. He said those words not me. I put them in exactly as they were printed in the Trib. If he wants to get fans excited about next season without laying out his cards, then he needs to shut up. Because no one here is getting excited about Jason Grilli

I hope KW has something up his sleeve. But why bother bringing this Grilli stuff up? Do you think it's going to lower the price of a trade from other teams when KW comes out saying he's satisified with Grilli as a 5th starter. No GM is that dumb.

Bob

SoxxoS
09-22-2004, 12:33 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040921soxgamer,1,2231988.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

The Maggs part is disheartening, but I almost vomited (for the second day in a row) after this gem from KW...

"It is a revolving process. What I am going to choose to focus on now is pitching. We feel like we have a strong staff going into next year. And the way that Jason Grilli has come on, it makes the fifth starter spot not a dire need. He has impressed us." Is this organization that retarded? I have been a KW backer since he was hired...but this ranks right up there with Ozzie's comment from yesterday. Jason Grilli? Let's look at the numbers:
OK, 4 starts.

Oakland: 6.0 IP 10 hits 4 runs 4 ER, 2 walks and 2 K's
Texas: 5.2 IP 8 hits 3 runs 3 ER, 3 walks 3 K's
Anahiem: 5.0 IP 9 hits 5 runs 5 ER, 1 walks and a strikeout
Detroit: 6 IP 4 hits 4 runs, 4 earned, 3 walks and 5 strikeouts.

So far this year, he has a 6.75 ERA with a 1.75 WHIP.

WHAT ABOUT THESE NUMBERS IS IMPRESSIVE? If someone can tell me, let me know. Granted, I haven't been watching the games too much in Arizona so I can't give you a scouting report on Grilli, but you don't have to be a genius to look at those numbers and know he's not a major league pitcher. I just don't understand. I personally think he is just covering his/Uncle Jerry's ass for next year so when he doesn't sign a 5th starter, he can say "Grilli impressed us."

SoxxoS
09-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Sorry MODS: Just read Bob's thread. Please just put it there.

gosox41
09-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Didn't KW already say they were going to go a new direction and build around pitching?

BTW, the Sox haven't had a losing season since KW took over.

KW did say that. But he came out in the paper today with the quotes.

As for not having a losing season, what good does second place in a terrible weak division do for you? It aggravates me to no end. That and buck buys you a cup of coffee.

Bob

Lip Man 1
09-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Jabrch says: "I'm just looking for an original thought - that's all. It is the same old recycled poop each day."

Well here's an 'original thought,' DON'T READ THEM!

Lip

batmanZoSo
09-22-2004, 12:49 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040921soxgamer,1,2231988.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

The Maggs part is disheartening, but I almost vomited (for the second day in a row) after this gem from KW...

Is this organization that retarded? I have been a KW backer since he was hired...but this ranks right up there with Ozzie's comment from yesterday. Jason Grilli? Let's look at the numbers:
OK, 4 starts.

Oakland: 6.0 IP 10 hits 4 runs 4 ER, 2 walks and 2 K's
Texas: 5.2 IP 8 hits 3 runs 3 ER, 3 walks 3 K's
Anahiem: 5.0 IP 9 hits 5 runs 5 ER, 1 walks and a strikeout
Detroit: 6 IP 4 hits 4 runs, 4 earned, 3 walks and 5 strikeouts.

So far this year, he has a 6.75 ERA with a 1.75 WHIP.

WHAT ABOUT THESE NUMBERS IS IMPRESSIVE? If someone can tell me, let me know. Granted, I haven't been watching the games too much in Arizona so I can't give you a scouting report on Grilli, but you don't have to be a genius to look at those numbers and know he's not a major league pitcher. I just don't understand. I personally think he is just covering his/Uncle Jerry's ass for next year so when he doesn't sign a 5th starter, he can say "Grilli impressed us."

I'd still like to reply to this message even though this thread will probably get moved....

KW makes no sense here. If he's gonna "focus on pitching" and at the same time Grilli has eliminated the need for a 5th starter, what does he plan to do have 6 starters? All four of our regular starters need to be moved down a slot or in Buehrle and Garcia's cases, have some of the load taken off of them. Contreras is not a third starter, he's a fourth. I think there's a chance he might be really good, but he can't be trusted to. Garland is not a 4th, he's a 5th. Grilli is not a starter, he's a reliever. At best...personally I think he's a minor leaguer.

We need another pitcher of Buehrle and Garcia's ability. Then get two good relievers. Done. No Grilli.

Wealz
09-22-2004, 01:35 PM
I don't for a second believe that KW is planning on coming back with Jason Grilli as our #5.
Grilli is this September's Willie Harris.

This franchise is so backwards it's laughable. Guys like Grilli and Harris should be players you actively look to replace, not give opportunities for increased playing time.

mdep524
09-22-2004, 01:55 PM
I'd still like to reply to this message even though this thread will probably get moved....

KW makes no sense here. If he's gonna "focus on pitching" and at the same time Grilli has eliminated the need for a 5th starter, what does he plan to do have 6 starters? All four of our regular starters need to be moved down a slot or in Buehrle and Garcia's cases, have some of the load taken off of them. Contreras is not a third starter, he's a fourth. I think there's a chance he might be really good, but he can't be trusted to. Garland is not a 4th, he's a 5th. Grilli is not a starter, he's a reliever. At best...personally I think he's a minor leaguer.

We need another pitcher of Buehrle and Garcia's ability. Then get two good relievers. Done. No Grilli.The jaw-dropping part is that after all this talk about getting "some of the best pitching from either league" --direct quote from KW-- now, if this new quote is to be believed, the starting rotation would already be SET for 2005 with NO additions!

Buehrle
Garcia
Contreras
Garland
Grilli

That is laughable. Buehrle and Garcia are solid, OK, that's 2/5. Contreras, IMO, is NOT a starter. I know people keep wishing he would become some kind of dominant starter, but it ain't gonna happen guys. He might be a solid reliever, or closer, but he will not be a great starter in this league. Then headcase Garland and the suddenly "impressive" Jason Grilli? To bring back and old, old line... Ken Williams, who you crappin'?

balboner
09-22-2004, 02:41 PM
If we are planning on building around pitching, then the news that Everett will likely be in our outfield next year is very disturbing. Everett is about as bad of a defensive outfielder as there in in the majors. It's these types of things that make people believe that KW has no clue what he's doing, and that he never sticks to his plans.

balke
09-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Sounds to me like JG is gone, Grilli/Diaz stay, Sox go after a Pavano type like we've been wishing.

As far as Everett goes, I agree. With him in the field, every pop fly is a duck snort.

OEO Magglio
09-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Jabrch says: "I'm just looking for an original thought - that's all. It is the same old recycled poop each day."

Well here's an 'original thought,' DON'T READ THEM!

Lip
How the heck are you supposed to avoid them lip?? They're everywhere on this board. Now we're just going to start bashing kenny because of him saying he something, why don't you let the offseason play out until you bash his offseason moves. :rolleyes:

balboner
09-22-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry, but if KW plans on going with a Sox team next year that has Gload at 1b, Everett in RF, and Grilli in the rotation, that team will win about 70 games. Compare that with the teams we've had the last few years, and it's not even close in terms of talent level being better in the past. Also, I think the catching position is a lot bigger question mark than people think. Ben Davis had one good hot stretch, but has been awful the rest of this season. Counting on him to be an average MLB catcher is a tough call. However, please no Sandy Alomar next year. He is so washed-up.

SoxxoS
09-22-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry, but if KW plans on going with a Sox team next year that has Gload at 1b, Everett in RF, and Grilli in the rotation, that team will win about 70 games. Compare that with the teams we've had the last few years, and it's not even close in terms of talent level being better in the past. Also, I think the catching position is a lot bigger question mark than people think. Ben Davis had one good hot stretch, but has been awful the rest of this season. Counting on him to be an average MLB catcher is a tough call. However, please no Sandy Alomar next year. He is so washed-up.
:KW

"This is working just as I suspected. Lower your expectations to 70 wins. I dare you. I will then trade McCarthy and Honel for Craig Consell, the ultimate grinder. We will get 82 wins easy, and will be looking forward to '06 before you know it. THAT is our year.

Wealz
09-22-2004, 03:27 PM
How the heck are you supposed to avoid them lip?? They're everywhere on this board. Now we're just going to start bashing kenny because of him saying he something, why don't you let the offseason play out until you bash his offseason moves. :rolleyes:
I could understand your feelings if the comments were directed at you. The best way to stop the criticism is to defend Williams' tenure.

gosox41
09-23-2004, 08:00 AM
I could understand your feelings if the comments were directed at you. The best way to stop the criticism is to defend Williams' tenure.
That's difficult to do unless you think it's good finishing in seond place 3 years in a row.

:D:

Bob