PDA

View Full Version : More Ozzie Comments On Next Year

Lip Man 1
09-21-2004, 11:11 PM
From White Sox. com:

"This park plays a little short once in a while," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of the propensity for home runs on the South Side of Chicago. "That's something we have to address with the kind of team and especially pitching staff we will have next year. I never thought the balls would jump out of here the way they did."

Simple...load up on top quality strike out and ground ball type pitchers.

Lip

MRKARNO
09-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Well at least we have confirmation that someone in the organization recognizes publically the ridiculous HR park factor of the Cell.

I think I'm officially on the "Sign Derek Lowe if you can get him at a decent price" bandwagon

Brian26
09-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Hopefully they don't start jacking around with the fences every year like they did when Veeck was here in the old park. I saw a picture recently of the park the year they put up the little league fence around the outfield...it looked so stupid.

wdelaney72
09-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Well, they need to do something. the current dimensions of the ballpark is a joke. Not to mention the effect the new roof has had.

I buy into the fact that the new roof may have caught everyone by surprise, but they need to address it They can start by moving the fences back.

A few more years of this, and it's going to be very difficult to convince pitchers to sign with the Sox.

duke of dorwood
09-22-2004, 09:17 AM
:fireozzie
Lack of improvement winner 2004

Iguana775
09-22-2004, 10:38 AM
From White Sox. com:

"This park plays a little short once in a while," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of the propensity for home runs on the South Side of Chicago. "That's something we have to address with the kind of team and especially pitching staff we will have next year. I never thought the balls would jump out of here the way they did."

Simple...load up on top quality strike out and ground ball type pitchers.

Lip
Lowe and Pedro would look nice in a White Sox uni.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Wdelaney....since when have top pitchers EVER signed with the Sox?

and once again folks there is no money available from the 68 million that the cell company gave Uncle Jerry to start screwing around again with the fences. Since we all know Uncle Jerry isn't going to spend his own money, you can push this foolish notion right out of your heads.

Lip

A. Cavatica
09-22-2004, 03:20 PM
I think I'm officially on the "Sign Derek Lowe if you can get him at a decent price" bandwagon
Unfortunately, Derek Lowe at a decent price = Jon Garland

Wealz
09-22-2004, 03:34 PM

and once again folks there is no money available from the 68 million that the cell company gave Uncle Jerry to start screwing around again with the fences. Since we all know Uncle Jerry isn't going to spend his own money, you can push this foolish notion right out of your heads.

Lip
They need offense Lip. Offense, offense, offense. Take complete advantage of their home field. It's about power at U.S. Cellular Field.

balboner
09-22-2004, 03:39 PM
The scary thing is that Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia are all considered sinkerballers. Anyone that wants Sox to acquire a flyball pitcher like E. Milton should keep this in mind.

Brian26
09-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Lip

Floyd Bannister signed with the Sox before the '83 season as the top pitching acquisition of that year after leading the AL in strikeouts with the M's in '82.

jackbrohamer
09-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Are we really supposed to believe Ozzie is going to have anything more than a very indirect role in off-season personnel decisions? I know he keeps saying he's making the decisions with KW but given that the essence of every single decision is going to be $$$ I don't see him having much of a role.

Which may be a good thing since his list of biggest positives this year included Cotts and Adkins

Lip Man 1
09-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Brian:

And that was back when Uncle Jerry was still trying to win wasn't it? That also was with the original Comiskey Park, a pitcher's park.

My comment was directed in the context of those who were talking about new Comiskey Park.

Lip

Huisj
09-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Brian:

And that was back when Uncle Jerry was still trying to win wasn't it? That also was with the original Comiskey Park, a pitcher's park.

My comment was directed in the context of those who were talking about new Comiskey Park.

Lip
right, i'm sensing the point of brian's comment may have been to show just how long it's been since any high level pitcher signed with the sox.

OEO Magglio
09-22-2004, 07:00 PM
They need offense Lip. Offense, offense, offense. Take complete advantage of their home field. It's about power at U.S. Cellular Field.
Your joking right???

Wealz
09-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Your joking right???
Not at all. Lack of offense from catcher, second base, third base and right field handicaps this team greatly.