PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Disappointments

Lip Man 1
09-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Ken Rosenthal was on the Tim Brando show today on The Sporting News radio network. He was asked who the biggest disappointments were this season. In order he responded that the Phillies were the biggest disappointment then the Sox then Seattle.

Lip

AddisonStSox
09-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Couldn't agree with him more. #1 Philly, #2 Sox, #3 Seattle

wdelaney72
09-22-2004, 09:18 AM
This question cannot be answered yet, becuase either the Cubs or the Astros will not make the playoffs.

The Cubs were nationally courted is the NL Champs. If they miss the playoffs, I think it's a bigger disappointment than the Phillies.

bigfoot
09-22-2004, 09:36 AM
If the Cobz make the playoffs, THAT will be the biggest disappointment!

idseer
09-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Ken Rosenthal was on the Tim Brando show today on The Sporting News radio network. He was asked who the biggest disappointments were this season. In order he responded that the Phillies were the biggest disappointment then the Sox then Seattle.

Lip
based on what or when? as far as i'm concerned, the sox are right about where i'd thought they'd be before the season started. the phillies on the other hand .................

granted, after the season got underway ... back when uribe was acting like wade boggs and harris was over .300 i admit my expectations rose. but over all i cannot say the sox are a disappointment this season ESPECIALLY when you consider what happened to frank and magglio.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2004, 01:47 PM
wdelaney...depends on your point of view doesn't it? Considering the Cubs will have back to back winning seasons since the early 70's and will probably win around 93 games that's not to disappointing. Also factor in thier injuries and what they did borders on the remarkable.

Lip

nodiggity59
09-22-2004, 02:32 PM
wdelaney...depends on your point of view doesn't it? Considering the Cubs will have back to back winning seasons since the early 70's and will probably win around 93 games that's not to disappointing. Also factor in thier injuries and what they did borders on the remarkable.

Lip
For a $100million team to not make the playoffs is a failure, IMO. It will be for Anaheim if they miss out, same thing for the Cubs. Also, the Cubs' injuries aren't worse than Houston's. They haven't had their top four starters all year and have been stuck with their top 2 since early July, and yet they are right there with the Cubs. The Cubs have been mostly healthy for almost two months and are still only keeping pace with the Giants.

The Astros have proved early season injuries mean squat. If you're reasonably healthy from August on you have no one to blame but yourself.

soxtalker
09-22-2004, 03:05 PM
It sounds like a pretty reasonable ranking of disappointing teams. Those three teams have been out of it for a long time. We were the last to fall apart, but we sure did crash.

I'm sure that if we were in the position of the Cubs, Houston, or Anaheim, we'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't make the play offs. But I don't think that the level of disappointment would be close to what I see for the Sox (or, I imagine, Philly or Seattle). And while we didn't spend at the dollar levels, we did have a GM who has been pretty aggressive. Instead of spending money, he spent prospects. I'm not trying to restart that debate here, but that Seattle deal was right up there in terms of this year's high-profile trades.

koch44
09-22-2004, 03:13 PM
If the cubs don't make the playoffs, they will be the most dissapointing team since everyone was saying back February, and March that they were going to win the World Series.

Clembasbal
09-22-2004, 03:41 PM
based on what or when? as far as i'm concerned, the sox are right about where i'd thought they'd be before the season started. the phillies on the other hand .................

granted, after the season got underway ... back when uribe was acting like wade boggs and harris was over .300 i admit my expectations rose. but over all i cannot say the sox are a disappointment this season ESPECIALLY when you consider what happened to frank and magglio.
I couldn't agree more with you. I for one am disappointed that the Sox did not do much this year, and are struggling to finish about .500, but most people picked the Sox to finish 3rd in preseason polls behind the Twins and Royals. Some even picked the Indians to finish ahead of us, and thus have the Sox 4th.

Though some predicted us to finish 2nd, or by some means 1st...finishing 2nd at .500 is where I thought the team would be when it all began.

KingXerxes
09-22-2004, 04:06 PM
I don't see how the White Sox can be termed "a big disappointment" because a lot of people picked them to be exactly where they are now - about a .500 club.

I think Philadelphia is the biggest disappointment due to the fact that they were never really in the race at all, and they were supposed to supplant Atlanta in that division. As far as the Cubs, Astros and Giants go - all of them were picked to go to the playoffs, so you'll have at least two disappointments out of that group, but not "major disappointments" because they all look like they'll win around 90 games. I think the biggest disappointments in the American League have to be Seattle (never in it), maybe Kansas City a little bit as well because I think most people thought the Royals were going to be pretty good.

Patrick134
09-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Ranking the sox that high is insane. I think if you asked someone to rank the sox before the season saying that frank and mags would miss so much time, they'd have picked the sox to finish far worse than they actually have .

hold2dibber
09-22-2004, 05:45 PM
I agree with the prevailing sentiment in this thread - i.e., that the Sox are actually going to finish in the same neighborhood of where most people expected them to finish - i.e., at or around .500. To me, the biggest disappointments have to be Philadelphia, Toronto, KC, Seattle and Arizona in that order. All of those teams are far, far worse than the prevailing expectations at the start of the year.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2004, 06:46 PM
I think Rosenthal was factoring in the point that they were in first place at the All Star Break and were ten games over .500 on July 26th, then they went right down the toilet.

Lip