PDA

View Full Version : The Best Autograph you got at Comiskey/Comiskey II or the Cell

Tekijawa
09-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Having Just gotten a ball signed by Ivan Rodriguez this past Friday I was curious to see who other peole have gotten to sign things at the park... Include your Biggest name and your favorite autograph..

Biggest Name: Frank Thomas/Ivan Rodriguez
Favorite: Charlie Hough, He looked at my card and siad,"son this card is 20 years old! That's older than you are!"

My best Autograph over all is Mickey Mantle, got a ball signed by him at a card show. The $50 was a little steep for a 12 year old at the time!

Rocky Soprano
09-21-2004, 11:54 AM
I have a baseball that is autographed by:

Frank Thomas/Carlos Lee/Mark B

Lip Man 1
09-21-2004, 12:41 PM
'Goose' Gossage, Ralph Garr and 'Minnie' Minoso in 1976.Lip

Baby Fisk
09-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Bobby Thigpen, Wilson Alvarez and Alex Fernandez, in 1992 when we were on the ascendancy... remember what that felt like? :(:

HomeFish
09-21-2004, 12:59 PM
The sign that I brought to the first Marlins/Expos game got autographed by Jack McKeon. That was pretty cool.

cubhater
09-21-2004, 01:03 PM
I got Frank Thomas and Juan Gonzalez's autographs before a game on the same night a couple years ago.

bigfoot
09-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Warren Spahn, while he was the coach/manager of the Oklahoma City 89ers.

Jerko
09-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Sosa

MRKARNO
09-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Frank Thomas

Tekijawa
09-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Warren Spahn, while he was the coach/manager of the Oklahoma City 89ers.
Very Nice!

ewokpelts
09-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Having Just gotten a ball signed by Ivan Rodriguez this past Friday I was curious to see who other peole have gotten to sign things at the park... Include your Biggest name and your favorite autograph..

Favorite: Charlie Hough, He looked at my card and siad,"son this card is 20 years old! That's older than you are!"

My best Autograph over all is Mickey Mantle, got a ball signed by him at a card show. The $50 was a little steep for a 12 year old at the time!
I got a Goose Gossage Auto during Cubs/Sox at New Comiskey in 99 (Fleer Trading Cards sponsored a terrace suite ansd I got a ticket to that. Curiously enough, my Step-dad's card store ONLY got one ticket , while some other stores had 5-10 tix.) I've never really tried getting autos, since I can just get them direct from my ticket rep, or at soxfest. My most famous auto is Yogi Berra. I got his at the Wrigley Field Stadium Club in 99(again a Fleer event). I got an 8x10 as well as a ball. I have a Killebrew Auto, but that was pulled from a box of cards.
Gene

Brian26
09-21-2004, 02:44 PM
I got a Goose Gossage Auto during Cubs/Sox at New Comiskey in 99 (Fleer Trading Cards sponsored a terrace suite ansd I got a ticket to that. Curiously enough, my Step-dad's card store ONLY got one ticket , while some other stores had 5-10 tix.) I've never really tried getting autos, since I can just get them direct from my ticket rep, or at soxfest. My most famous auto is Yogi Berra. I got his at the Wrigley Field Stadium Club in 99(again a Fleer event). I got an 8x10 as well as a ball. I have a Killebrew Auto, but that was pulled from a box of cards.
Gene

Gene-

Forgot to mention that I stopped by the card store last week to pick up some top loaders....he's always a class guy. I feel sorry for him during those Saturday morning yu-go-gi card tournys though...that place is a zoo :D:

I enjoy getting autographs at Soxfest, as the player is seated and comfortable and not completely rushed...the autograph usually looks a little better and isnt sloppy.

Brian26
09-21-2004, 02:45 PM
I have a Ventura signature on a new Comiskey 1991 ball.

ewokpelts
09-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Gene-

Forgot to mention that I stopped by the card store last week to pick up some top loaders....he's always a class guy. I feel sorry for him during those Saturday morning yu-go-gi card tournys though...that place is a zoo :D:

I enjoy getting autographs at Soxfest, as the player is seated and comfortable and not completely rushed...the autograph usually looks a little better and isnt sloppy.Brian,
I'm glad that John's able to help you. he's able to do special orders, so if you'r elooking for any good stuff in particular, check him out.
Gene

BarbG
09-21-2004, 05:27 PM
My first Sox hero, Bill Melton.

And Bucky Dent.

Viva Magglio
09-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Carlos Baerga

cburns
09-21-2004, 08:19 PM
My sister got Albert Belle's

hellenicsoxfan
09-21-2004, 08:30 PM
As a kid, I got some, like Walter Williams and Ed Hermann. Since then, I haven't gotten any autographs...until last Friday night. Nancy Faust signed my green Sox hat.

LongLiveFisk
09-21-2004, 08:50 PM
I got Rick Cerone's autograph back in '89 at Old Comiskey....anyone remember him? :wink:

I also got Steve Lyons I believe that same year. Yeah, I know, if these are my "best" that's not saying much, right? :nuts:

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Probably Terry Bevington...he was the only guy with a really short line back when they signed on kids day. Of course being a kid, I didn't know why it was so short! :smile: I got a team autographed ball from 1998 but it was from the picnic in the park.

monkeypants
09-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Biggest name: Harold Baines

Favorite: Ribbie

DumpJerry
09-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Well, did not get this one at Comiskey, but we were on the South Side, so it could be considered the parking lot of Comiskey.....

When I was in 4 or 5th grade, my two buddies and I met up to go trick or treating on Halloween (of course). When we picked up my second friend, he told us that Pat Kelly of the Sox lived on his floor of the apt complex. Well, off we went to Mr. Kelly's apartment and knocked on the door. No answer. We waited and waited.....we were about to give up and leave when the elevator door opened and out stepped a really huge guy. My friend was only one of the three of us who did not freeze in amazement of meeting an actual major league baseball player and announced "Trick of treat, Mr. Kelly." He smiled and opened his door. We peeked inside dying to see how a major league baseball player lives. It was a nice place! He then pulled out a wad, I mean a WAD of bills. Started peeling through the $20's, got to the $10's and finally gave each of us a single (this was when Allyn owned the team, not much money was paid out, I guess). He was about to close the door when my friend with the cool under fire spoke up and asked for an autograph. He smiled and gladly signed our bills. I kept that dollar for years. Long after he wound up with the Orioles.:smile:

mike squires
09-22-2004, 10:04 AM
My first was a Rich Gedman autograph on an 83 program.

Biggest name was Sammy Sosa at Old Comiskey. I had just gotten Steve Lyons down the line on a ball you buy at the park right befroe game time. ON the way back to my seat I saw Sammy sitting on the railing next to the dugout and threw him by ball. He signed it and threw it back to me. 2 bad things. Steve is also on the ball and it was with a sharpie which is a no no on a ball.

My favorite would have to be Mike Squires during the 85 season on a program (I think I lost it!) and Luzinski on the cover of his Sports Illustrated and my seat back although that was not at Comiskey.

My dream autograph would be a Fisk on my Old Comiskey seat back to go along with the rest of the 83 players. Does he do a lot of card shows???

ones I"ve gotten at the old park..that I can remember

Larussa
Squires
Luis Rivera
Rich Gedman
Frank Messmer
Jerry Royster
Ron Kittle
Ozzie Guillen
Eddie Einhorn
Dave Gallagher
Ribbie
Bruce Tanner
Dave Nelson

SpammySosa
02-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Last year at SoxFest I was lucky enough to win the VIP package that allowed me(and my 3 friends) to be on the field for batting practice. Unfortunately we arrived a half hour late,but I was able to get a program signed by:Frank(Best and Favorite),Esteban,Marte,Burke,Timo,Willie,Olivo,Al omar Jr and Uribe. Magglio was there in street clothes(it was on June 11) and signed for a few people,but not us. We had to stay in or near the on deck circle and he was about 20 feet away. We tried calling him over a couple times and he said "In just a minute" but he never came over.

gosox41
02-01-2005, 12:56 PM

Biggest name: Michael Jordan
Faborite: Frank Thomas....a bigger name then Michael in my mind.

Bob

ND_Sox_Fan
02-01-2005, 01:02 PM
In order:

1. Frank Thomas
2. Cal Ripken Jr.

BigEdWalsh
02-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Little Louie's on a '60 Topps card.:luis&nell

Also, a favorite was Joe Adcock's. I think he was manager of the Indians at the time (or maybe a coach, I don't remember). I just remember that he was really nice.

mcfish
02-01-2005, 01:25 PM
I have an autographed postcard of Donn Paul that says "TJ, stick with the Sox! Donn Paul." That I got because his brother-in-law lived next door to my aunt, so he was there once in a while.

The G-Load autograph I got at this past Sox Fest was pretty cool too.

Lip Man 1
02-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Specifically at Comiskey Park it would be:

Ralph Garr
'Goose' Gossage
Ken Brett

other players I have had the pleasure to personally meet, interview and get a signature include:

Jim Bunning
Tony LaRussa
Brooks Robinson
Dick Groat
Royce Clayton
Delino DeShields
George Stone
Bob Friend
Joe Pepitone
Bill Mazeroski
Hank Greenberg
Doug Flynn
Ron Gant
Roland Hemond
Tommy John
John Shelby
Jerome Walton
Jack Lamabe
Will Clark
Walt Weiss
Don Mattingly
Jerry Lynch
Paul Richards
Chuck 'Cotton' Nash
Frank 'Tug' McGraw
Robby Thompson
Billy Muffett
Clay Parker
'Minnie' Minoso
George Steinbrenner
Jim 'Mudcat' Grant
Ron Swoboda
Don Kessinger
Dick 'Dirt' Tidrow
Bill Veeck

I have them all in an album along with a color picture and the hats of the teams they played for, managed, owned etc. Also there are sections for Basketball, Boxing, Broadcasting, Entertainment, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Horse Racing, Hockey and Track & Field.

Lip

depy48
02-01-2005, 02:32 PM
i'll never forget getting frank thomas' before a game a couple of years ago, but my favorite was getting Robin Venutra, Ozzie Guillen, and Joey Cora at a Bulls game!!!! they were together sitting in the row right in front of us.

jackbrohamer
02-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Satchel Page, when he was guest-announcing with Harry Caray at Comiskey Park in the mid-1970s. Guy must've been in his 80s but was very nice about signing autographs.

mjharrison72
02-01-2005, 02:54 PM
In '84 or so, the Andy Frain guy asked me who my favorite player was, and I said Carlton Fisk, and he came back a few innings later with Fisk's autograph.

I also got a program signed by Minnie Minoso, who, I might add, my Grandma was much more excited about than I was at the time.

chaz171
02-01-2005, 03:16 PM
A ball signed by Fisk, Kittle, Hoyt, Rudy and Vance Law Tony LaRussa and the be all end all

David Stegman........

jake27
02-01-2005, 05:33 PM
best at the cell is roberto alomar (hey hes a future hall of famer) and konerko. i have a lot of other players form the cell tho like konerko, clee, loaiza, etc. i got billy williams at wrigley once when he was a coach. my best white sox auto is a colon, buehrle, garland, and danny wright signed poster w/ all 4 of them on it.

Chrisaway
02-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Tim Raines
Joe Borchard

MikeW
02-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Since most of you are lucky enough to live in Chicago, I built my Sox autograph collection through the mail or at Yankee Stadium. I started sending through the mail in 1975 and the first and the best one I have is Nelson Fox. He was kind enough to send a couple of post cards signed also. Since then I have written to over 350 ex Sox players and am only about 50 short to complete my collection of every guy who played with the Sox from 1950-1980. This also includes managers and coaches.

MRKARNO
02-01-2005, 09:49 PM
I was about to respond with Thomas, but then I realized that this was a dug up thread from 4 months ago and I had already responded so.

Brian26
02-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Since most of you are lucky enough to live in Chicago, I built my Sox autograph collection through the mail or at Yankee Stadium. I started sending through the mail in 1975 and the first and the best one I have is Nelson Fox. He was kind enough to send a couple of post cards signed also. Since then I have written to over 350 ex Sox players and am only about 50 short to complete my collection of every guy who played with the Sox from 1950-1980. This also includes managers and coaches.

Wow, that's an awesome collection. Do you still write to the current players? I know a lot of people send out cards through-the-mail around this time of the year to the spring training addresses.

AOEllis
02-01-2005, 10:17 PM
My father was able to meet Jesse Owens and get his autograph at a track meet in college.

Parrothead
02-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Brooks Boyer :bandance:

TDog
02-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Nellie Fox signed my program at the old stadium in Arlington, Texas, when he was coaching or the Rangers. As an adult, I got bats signed by Harold Baines, Bill Melton and Ron Kittle. I have a bunch of autographed balls -- LaMarr Hoyt, Goose Gossage, Rich Dotson, Aaron Rowand are a few. I have one ball signed by Bob Feller, Bob Gibson and Monte Irvin, but it also has Rich Hebner, Pat Kelly and Rolly DeArmis on it.

nccwsfan
02-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Harold Baines- happened to be at my first game at Comiskey
Ozzie Guillen
Jack McDowell

SOXFAN82
02-02-2005, 11:09 AM
My favorite was meeting Big Frank when I was younger at SoxFest.

But neatest sox thing I have autographed is the poster of the starting lineup in the program from 2 years ago and I have that signed by everyone on the poster yup even the king himself D'angelo Jimenez.

Iwritecode
02-02-2005, 11:54 AM
I've never gotten an autograph at the park. My daughters have though...

All mine come from Soxfest. My best one is probably Frank Thomas. I have a 1996 starting lineup figure (still on the card) signed by him and also a ball.

My brother-in-law had his rookie card signed. When he handed it to him, Frank looks at it and said, "Man, this was a long time ago." :cool:

StockdaleForVeep
02-02-2005, 12:00 PM
jose canseco when he was on our team vs tampa aug 4,2001, when he signed i asked how his wife and his things she has were doin, he just smirked. There was also a lady wearin a red sox jersey and decked in all things related to canseco takin pix of him running with a telephoto lense

and as i post in my profile, i got some sweat on my program from when gary glover signed it

MikeW
02-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Hi Brian, I on occasion will write to current players on the Sox, but the percentage I get back is not that great. Things have changed with the modern player I suppose. Wrote to Garland and Konerko last year and only got Garland back. I really believe when the player retires and is out of the lime light for a few years they generally are happy that they are remembered at all. The memorabilia craze has ruined a lot of autograph collecting, because some of the older players feel like that they missed their 'payday' and won't sign unless it is for money. Thankfully this is the minority and not the majority. I'm glad that I got most of my autographs through the mail in the 1970's and 1980's before the big rush came.

SpammySosa
02-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi Brian, I on occasion will write to current players on the Sox, but the percentage I get back is not that great. Things have changed with the modern player I suppose. Wrote to Garland and Konerko last year and only got Garland back. I really believe when the player retires and is out of the lime light for a few years they generally are happy that they are remembered at all. The memorabilia craze has ruined a lot of autograph collecting, because some of the older players feel like that they missed their 'payday' and won't sign unless it is for money. Thankfully this is the minority and not the majority. I'm glad that I got most of my autographs through the mail in the 1970's and 1980's before the big rush came.

VERY exciting reading about your collecting experiences, Mike.Boy,do I wish I would have focused on collecting thru the mail sooner and had the opportunity to write Nellie Fox and other Sox legends! But I didn't start collecting thru the mail until about a year and a half ago, with a primary focus on getting my Sox cards signed. Often times I will ask questions as well and have had many interesting answers. In addition to SoxFest, I also try and attend as many in person appearances as possible. Counting thru the mail, in person and certified cards I bought on ebay, I currently have over 200 different current or former Sox players and coaches(plus people like Nancy Faust,who I consider a part of the team). If you or Brian are interested in attempting to set up any trades of autographed Sox cards, I have been looking for people to trade with. Feel free to pm me. Thanks!

rookieroy
02-02-2005, 11:15 PM
On the night when the Sox clinched the 1993 division title on Bo Jackson's 3-run homer, my buddy and I went to Jimbo's for a couple more cold ones. After about an hour and a half or so, we went back to the park to get our car and what do we see? Bo Jackson walking toward the parking lot fences where there were a few fans standing. We rushed to our car to get a few balls. Gave Bo his congrats on the big win, gave him my pen and he signed my ball through the fence! IT WAS AWESOME, BABY! Without question....the most exciting White Sox autograph I have. It was too cool! :D:

Wsoxmike59
02-05-2005, 10:59 PM
I got Luke Appling and Rollie Fingers on a Sox Program/Scorecard in '71 and still have it! I've snagged a few autographs over the years, some notable ones being Bob Feller, Bobby Doerr, Enos Slaughter,Monte Irvin, Minnie Minoso, Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Tim Raines, Harold Baines, LaMaar Hoyt, Ron Kittle, Greg Luzinski, Robin Ventura, Bobby Thigpen, Dick Allen, Bill Melton, Jay Johnstone, Wilbur Wood, Goose Gossage, Ed Herrmann,Ken Henderson, Ed Farmer, Bucky Dent, Billy Williams, Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, Fergie Jenkins, Don Kessinger, Randy Hundley, Milt Pappas, Dick Butkus, Mike Ditka, Dan Hampton, Tony Esposito, Stan Mikita, Harry Caray and Olympic Gold Medalist Dorothy Hamill.

popilius
02-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Tom Paciorek on a ticket stub! Signed it "Wimpy.":smile:

soxGirl14
06-18-2005, 11:44 AM
My boyfriend andI just got Aaron Rowlands last night on his hat! He was signing in a few sections over and we were a lil giddy from drinking and figured why not, so I too the hat since i was waearing it last nigth and weaseled my way up there and he singed it and, wow yeah I was star struck!LOL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/pinkdaisy8386/june17012small.jpg

chisoxfan64
06-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Brian downing and Chet Lemon on the cover of a 76 program. My dad and I kind of hung around late after the game and on the way out we walked past the Sox locker room. Minnie Minoso was standing outside the door so I got his sig. on it too. My dad was very excited about that. I still have it.

ClaudelSleptHere
06-22-2005, 09:35 AM
It wasn't in Chicago, but one year in Sarasota, I asked Steve Trout for his autograph and he said "just a minute." He then went behind a dugout on one of the secondary fields and relieved himself, then signed. Ugh!!

Later on that season, my dad and I were on the Dan Ryan going to the game about two hours before game time and Trout passed us on the highway, late for the game. Recognized him from the vanity license plate.

Baby Fisk
06-22-2005, 10:01 AM
My boyfriend andI just got Aaron Rowlands last night on his hat! He was signing in a few sections over and we were a lil giddy from drinking and figured why not, so I too the hat since i was waearing it last nigth and weaseled my way up there and he singed it and, wow yeah I was star struck!LOL

Is that the distinct sound of Kittle42's footsteps?

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Is that the distinct sound of Kittle42's footsteps?
Nah, it's just Aaron Rowand coming to re-sign the hat so it says Rowand rather than Rowland. :wink:

skobabe8
06-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Harold Baines pulling out of the parking lot at Old Comiskey in the late '80s. I stuck a batting glove through the car window and he signed it. I proceeded to wear that glove every game in little league until the autograph completely disappeared.

gr8mexico
06-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Today I got a great autograph that I have been waiting for to get Freddy Garcia.At the game today I just need to get El Duque and Contreras.

mccoydp
06-22-2005, 08:31 PM
During my oh-so short stay in Chicago thirteen years ago, I got Jack McDowell's Rookie card signed, along with Frank Thomas' Topps #1 Draft Pick card as well. My favorite item was the autographed pennant I got at my first Sox game (vs. Toronto) on August 26, 1992. After the game, my roomie and I went out to the parking lot to try to get autographs. To my surprise, Robin Ventura was there, and he was gracious enough to sign my pennant for me. I rolled it up and shoved it through the chain link fence, and he did the same to return it. That pennant, with more autographs added, hangs in my office at work. I have a Mark Buehrle autographed baseball as well, but I bought that through the GrandStand.

White Sox Josh
06-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Frank Thomas

ilsox7
06-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Griffey, Jr. on a scorecard weeks after he came up in 1989. I think he was 19 then.

TornLabrum
06-22-2005, 09:18 PM
I haven't gotten an autograph at the ball park since I was in college (ca. 1969-70). Before a rain-delayed April game I managed to get an autograph of Walter "No Neck" Williams which has subsequently disappeared in the course of numerous moves.

AOEllis
06-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Kenny Mayne and Jimmy Kimmel

bafiarocks03
06-22-2005, 10:22 PM
pretty much everyone! Thomas, Konerko, Lee, Buehrle, Garland, Harris..hehe:D: , crede, everyone! lol!