PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...another fight.

DrCrawdad
09-21-2004, 09:06 AM
We see our team get clobbered by the Twins for the umteenth time and now this.

Chicago Sun-Times, September 21, 2004 (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-copfight21.html)

Cop accused of attack at Sox Park

September 21, 2004

BY FRANK MAIN AND FRAN SPIELMAN Staff Reporters

An off-duty Chicago Police officer showed off his slugging skills at Sox Park over the weekend, but it was a fist -- and not a bat -- that he was swinging, officials said Monday.

Joseph W. Lullo Jr., a cop for the past decade and a top volunteer in House Speaker Michael Madigan's political army, was charged Saturday with simple battery after he punched a security guard in the face and broke the guard's nose, police said.

But Lullo's attorney said the Sox security guard, off-duty Chicago Police Officer Gregory Matura, choked Lullo and he was forced to protect himself

http://www.markelliot.com/archive/images/Rodney%20King.jpg
Can't we all just get along?

Jerko
09-21-2004, 09:38 AM
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: If it's not the unemployed drug addict starting crap it's the cops. Hey, at least the quality of our drunken assheads is improving! That's something to build on for next season. Maybe in 2005 we can have a few congressmen duke it out since we seem to be going up the food chain in regards to our derelicts. And PH13, if you read this don't 'spank' me for it, I know your dad is an ex-cop and this post is not meant to be anti-cop.

duke of dorwood
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
This crap is the only way we stay in the papers anymore

mantis1212
09-21-2004, 10:52 AM
That's the second fight involving an off-duty cop. What's up with these guys? They must think that badge authorizes them to be ****heads, even when they're off duty

SSN721
09-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Ugh, now I am hearing about it on Moronottis show, god he must love this. Nothing can go right for this team, this must be punishment for something I did in a former life or something to put up with all this nonsense around this park and team.

DrCrawdad
09-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Hey, if this is the way it's going to be at Sox games, maybe they should just run with it. Why not start games with this? (http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/rumble-1.wav) Then play this when an inning ends and then when the play resumes? (http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/boxing_bell.wav)

MY 3000th POST!
:bandance: :supernana:

nlentz88
09-21-2004, 12:47 PM
I was at a Friday night game at the Cell against Seattle a few weeks ago. With the Sox leading in the ninth my friends and I decided to head down to the bullpen bar for some post-game festivities. When we got to the bar's entrance the security guard (who I assume was an off-duty cop) snatched my friend's ID out of his hand. After looking at hit he offered it back to my friend who snatched it back with equal force. The security guard erupted. He said something like, "I decide who goes into this bar, and you're not going in!" My friend apologized (although perhaps not too sincerely), but was not allowed in. The Sox lost four customers that night.

Now, I'm not defending my friend. He should not have snatched his ID back from the guard. He also could have been nicer to the guy.

However, what really pisses me off is the attitude that the security guard had. He sat on his bar stool and figured himself St. Peter at the gates of heaven. He rejected my friend not because of a legitimate gripe (we weren't drunk, were dressed well, etc.), but simply because my friend hurt the cop's pride by snatching his ID out of the guy's hand using the same aggressive yank that the cop had used. It was as if the off-duty cop felt that because he usually carries a badge that he's due more respect than civilians and can treat non-cops in any abusive manner he wishes.

Like I said, the cop cost the Bullpen Bar four customers that night. I can only assume prideful, obnoxious off-duty cops like him have cost the Sox other revenue.

I don't know if there's any way to fix this situation. I think it's just a necessary attitude that accompanies many veteran cops that the Sox must hire to protect umpires and first base coaches from drunks. It sucks, but it's inevitable.

Brian26
09-21-2004, 01:01 PM
I don't know if there's any way to fix this situation. I think it's just a necessary attitude that accompanies many veteran cops that the Sox must hire to protect umpires and first base coaches from drunks. It sucks, but it's inevitable.

Well, there's a big difference between a cop that's *on-duty* and *off-duty*, so let's not make blanket statements to begin with. When I say this, I mean...I usually give a cop who's on duty the benefit of the doubt. Let me explain...

Your story, I think, might be blown out of proportion a bit. Those guys down at the entrance of the BPB have enough BS to deal with everynight, as most of the people walking through there are drunk off their asses anyway. Maybe your friend needs to chill out and not overreact to such a small thing. Give the cop the benefit of the doubt and move on. The Sox lost 4 fans because of such a stupid little thing? Because the cop seemed the take your friend's ID too forcefully? Geez, and then your friend was a jerk back to him? I can understand if the cop pulled you guys over on the road and started roughing you up because you weren't wearing seatbelts, but this is a bit too much. The smart thing to do in that situation would be to keep walking and go enjoy yourself in the bar. The guy may have been having a bad day, just as a check-out worker at a grocery store might be in a bad mood or your boss at work might be in a bad mood. Such a ridiculously small thing isn't worth inciting a cop over, and it's certainly not worth ending your relationship as a fan of the Sox (maybe you weren't a fan to begin with).

Now let's look at the drunken ******* cop (Lullo was his name?) who decided to go to the game on Saturday and get so hammered that he needed to get up and start making a complete ignoramous of himself in front of other families by using profanity, etc. Then he resisted arrest and made a scene on the concourse. This is the kind of idiot that gives all Sox fans a bad name.

jackbrohamer
09-21-2004, 02:00 PM
*** makes a fight at a ballpark newsworthy. If they covered every fight at a Bears or Blackhawks home game they would have to double the size of the sports section.

balke
09-21-2004, 02:35 PM
*** makes a fight at a ballpark newsworthy. If they covered every fight at a Bears or Blackhawks home game they would have to double the size of the sports section.
It sucks that it's happening to our team, but at least Hockey isn't the only sport getting criticized for violence in some way. I'm sick of seeing the lame stories about hockey fighting has got to stop, they need to clean up the sport, blah blah blah. "Attempted murder on the ice". Like no baseball player has ever tried using his bat as a weapon. Or no Player has tried to choke his coach out.

kittle42
09-21-2004, 02:38 PM
and it's certainly not worth ending your relationship as a fan of the Sox (maybe you weren't a fan to begin with).
He did not say the Sox lost 4 fans. He said they lost 4 customers (I believe meaning to go in the bar).

Foulke You
09-21-2004, 03:08 PM
I know! When did a simple fist fight become so friggin' print worthy? Ever since the stupid Dybas/Ligue crap, if someone trips on a churro wrapper at our park it gets a story in the paper.

:moron
"Only on the South Side do people trip on churro wrappers with such regularity. I've been to almost every park in the big leagues you have to believe me that you are taking your life into your hands by walking in an aisle with so many Scum Sox fan churro wrappers."

Jerko
09-21-2004, 03:19 PM
I think the papers are deeming this story newsworthy because it involves 2 cops, it's the 2nd incident this year involving a cop, and the latest jerk is a political buddy of Mike Madigan. It's no "I got shot outside the Cubby Bear", but I can see some minimal newsworthiness here.

Brian26
09-21-2004, 03:37 PM
He did not say the Sox lost 4 fans. He said they lost 4 customers (I believe meaning to go in the bar).

I took it as the White Sox lost 4 customers. Hopefully he clarifies that. Seemed like he was talking about the Sox security guards in general.

Edit- Rereading it, he said the Sox lost 4 custmers that night. That makes it sound more like just 4 customers, that night, to the BPB. I think you're right.

Realist
09-21-2004, 04:01 PM
That's the second fight involving an off-duty cop. What's up with these guys? They must think that badge authorizes them to be ****heads, even when they're off duty
Supposedly this is a city wide epidemic. We had an off duty Chicago police officer crack one of our regulars over the back of the head with a beer bottle a couple of years ago at the bar. He was with 3 other off duty CPD buddies who were none too happy to see the security staff bring down the drunk cop and put the plastic twist tie handcuffs on him.

When we called the CPD to have their boy arrested, the copper that showed up ended up letting the bottle wielder go. The OPS (Office of Professional Standards) then got involved because the patron that was cracked with the bottle ended up going to the hospital and a report was made. The hospital then had to report the incident to OPS.

The investigation went on for nearly two years and OPS reps told me that this sort of behavior goes on on a fairly regular basis and their really trying to crack down on it.

The vast majority of police officers I know are great people but like in any field, they have their share of idiots. Unfortunately the police force is appealing to a certain percentage people that feel that they've had sand kicked in their face long enough and now is their chance to be the tough guy.

:anon: <- Sox fan. The fat lady has sung.

soxwon
09-21-2004, 05:43 PM
WEll we might as well BLOW UP the FRICKIN PARK

and move to ADDISON!!!!

i hear no beer sales next season.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tekijawa
09-21-2004, 05:45 PM
:giantsnails

ChiSoxBobette
09-22-2004, 07:29 AM
I was at a Friday night game at the Cell against Seattle a few weeks ago. With the Sox leading in the ninth my friends and I decided to head down to the bullpen bar for some post-game festivities. When we got to the bar's entrance the security guard (who I assume was an off-duty cop) snatched my friend's ID out of his hand. After looking at hit he offered it back to my friend who snatched it back with equal force. The security guard erupted. He said something like, "I decide who goes into this bar, and you're not going in!" My friend apologized (although perhaps not too sincerely), but was not allowed in. The Sox lost four customers that night.

Now, I'm not defending my friend. He should not have snatched his ID back from the guard. He also could have been nicer to the guy.

However, what really pisses me off is the attitude that the security guard had. He sat on his bar stool and figured himself St. Peter at the gates of heaven. He rejected my friend not because of a legitimate gripe (we weren't drunk, were dressed well, etc.), but simply because my friend hurt the cop's pride by snatching his ID out of the guy's hand using the same aggressive yank that the cop had used. It was as if the off-duty cop felt that because he usually carries a badge that he's due more respect than civilians and can treat non-cops in any abusive manner he wishes.

Like I said, the cop cost the Bullpen Bar four customers that night. I can only assume prideful, obnoxious off-duty cops like him have cost the Sox other revenue.

I can't beleive you and your buddies were'nt at least a little bit drunk considering your watching the game for nine innings and then go down to the sports bar, you & your buddies were'nt drinking yeah ok I beleive that. As far as the security people at US Cell take into consideration the guys been sitting there all night having to baby sit people who've been drinking all night long. Yeah Its Always the Cops Attitude Never the Drunk Hes having to Take care Of I'm Sure Your Friend Did'nt Say Anything To The Cop Either He Was Just An Angel.