PDA

View Full Version : Hunter is at it again

35thStChurros
09-21-2004, 02:02 AM
Just got done reading the coverage from the Twins site. I took this from the article..... (Can't he just keep his darn mouth shut!!!)

Twins center fielder and team leader Torii Hunter, who set the game's tone with a two-run home run in the first inning, made sure the players kept it low key on the field. "We tried to keep it classy," Hunter said. "We didn't want to run on the field like (the White Sox) did in 2000 (clinching vs. the Twins). We didn't want to show up another team like that. We took it into the clubhouse and did our thing."

This definatly deserves an f'n plunk tomorrow. What have we (or them) got to lose now?
:angry:

JB98
09-21-2004, 02:08 AM
Well, it would be nice if the Sox would do something to shut the Twins up. I'm sick of them blowing us off the field. Apparently, our players haven't gotten sick of it yet.

Rex Hudler
09-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Why should we plunk him? Buehrle and half the Sox team spouted off like crybabies last week. On Sportscenter, Hunter's comments were fine. He made no negative comments toward the Sox at all. If the Sox would keep their mouths shut and just go out and play, a lot of this crap wouldn't happen.

balke
09-21-2004, 02:54 AM
Time to concede the fight. If we injured Torii before the playoffs we'd be the dirtiest, must disrespected franchise in the the history of baseball. :rolleyes:

Just go out there and play, pad stats. Try to win a few, boost what little trade value these saps have. We just got ownt. We gotta wait and rise from the ashes.

soltrain21
09-21-2004, 02:56 AM
This definatly deserves an f'n plunk tomorrow. What have we (or them) got to lose now?
:angry:

Why does he deserve a plunk? As funny as it was in 2000, the Sox celebration was very jerkish.

LASOXFAN
09-21-2004, 03:39 AM
Why does he deserve a plunk? As funny as it was in 2000, the Sox celebration was very jerkish.
Wait a second, let's not forget the distinction. In 2000 the Sox had not just won the division three years in a row like the Twins just did. There's good reason they celebrated like they did in 2000, and good reason for the Twins NOT to now. If I were them I wouldn't be as thrilled as the first time. The pressure is on the Twins to get to the series or at least the ALCS.

SSN721
09-21-2004, 07:57 AM
I dont understand the animosity towards Hunter for this comment, I have no problem with it. I agree we had more reason to be excited in 2000 but it doesnt make it right. It seems like the fans are starting to bitch as much as the team now to find excuses and take cheap shots when the team was just flat outplayed for the second half. We wouldnt have won this division with or w/o Frank and Maggs.

SOXSINCE'70
09-21-2004, 08:13 AM
The Twins have one thing the Sox can only dream about:

Strong "up the middle" defense.That means they have no glaring weaknesses at C,3B,SS,2B or CF.

The first 4 are GLARING weaknesses for the Sox.

'Nuff said.:(: :(: :(:

LincolnSquareOz
09-21-2004, 08:37 AM
What's all the fuss about? I thought there celebration was pretty darn mellow. A bunch of high-gives and handshakes shouldn't get anyone bent out of shape. I'll just be glad when these clowns leave town so the talking, on both sides, can cease until next season.

You'll see a real celebration from me if we jettison Valentin, Borchard, and Garland.

Kogs35
09-21-2004, 08:45 AM
mike and mike read burly's comments that the twins would be 3 and out in the playoffs and started ripping him. but burly is right because if they get schilling,hudson, or the yankees in the playoffs they wont survive with santana going game 1 because his arm is due to fall off. it really wouldnt suprise me if he misses time next year ala the passion with a arm injury

thepaulbowski
09-21-2004, 09:33 AM
What's the easiest way to make the Twins shut is?????? Win. I know, it is shocking. When you win, you have the right to say it the way it is.

Jerko
09-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Time to concede the fight. If we injured Torii before the playoffs we'd be the dirtiest, must disrespected franchise in the the history of baseball. :rolleyes:

Just go out there and play, pad stats. Try to win a few, boost what little trade value these saps have. We just got ownt. We gotta wait and rise from the ashes.
Sounds like the Sox M.O. for the past 3 seasons; pad stats and try to win a "few".

minastirith67
09-21-2004, 11:18 AM
No plunking. The Twins play like a real team, unlike the sorry bunch of players on the South Side.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2004, 01:36 PM
To the victor belongs the spoils. Don't like it? Shut up and win something.

Lip

pudge
09-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Wait, didn't we lose on the day we clinched? I never saw the "clincher", so what did the Sox do that was so obnoxious when they celebrated?

jackbrohamer
09-21-2004, 01:57 PM
The Twinkies use anger at the White Sox excessively, which may be why they have done 0 in the playoffs the last couple years. They've humiliated the Sox practically every way a team can the past few years, why can't they just **** about them and move on to something constructive? Hunter bitching about the Sox celebrating in 2000 is absolutely pathetic and explains why the guy's such a loser when he plays anyone but the Sox.

idseer
09-21-2004, 02:29 PM
it's sad that such a large portion of sox fans are whiney, sore losing, babies. complaining about your own teams shortcomings is fine, but crying about the guys who kick your butt every year is just plain sour grapes.

i sincerely hope minnesota rips right thru the yankees, boston or whoever and then beats the crap out of the national league winner. more power to em. i wish my team was more like the twins.

Jerko
09-21-2004, 02:39 PM
That's right. The Sox remind me of the kid that used to get in trouble in school all the time and blamed the teacher instead of admitting he was just being a moron. Grow up White Sox and accept some of the blame for these past few years yourselves.

Foulke You
09-21-2004, 03:00 PM
The Twinkies use anger at the White Sox excessively, which may be why they have done 0 in the playoffs the last couple years. They've humiliated the Sox practically every way a team can the past few years, why can't they just **** about them and move on to something constructive? Hunter bitching about the Sox celebrating in 2000 is absolutely pathetic and explains why the guy's such a loser when he plays anyone but the Sox.
Amen. I think some people are losing site of what this thread is about. Many are not whining that the Twins won. We know that, we've accepted it. This thread is about Hunter yapping about how we "celebrated too much" in 2000. What a tool. You can't celebrate division titles any more? Tell Mr. Hunter to watch clincher games from the last 15 years from both leagues and tell me if what the Sox did in 2000 was any different. I don't see how the Sox players coming out and high fiving the many Sox fans in attendance and spraying champagne on them was "classless". So Paulie ran around the bases with a beer. Who cares? It was well after the Twins players had gone into the clubhouse and all the other Twins fans had gone home. Also, it wasn't like the Twins were in the AL Central race that year anyway and were our bitter rivals. Plus, just how many guys are here from that 2000 team anyway that it deserves a comment from Hunter? Valentin, Konerko, Buehrle, and Lee? That's about it.

I guess the Sox players should learn how to be "classy" like Hunter who likes to taunt and swear at players in the opposing dugout after he hits homers. Also, just an idea here Torii, wouldn't a "classy" player not bother to bring up someone else's "poor" behavior at all? No, you just couldn't resist rubbing some extra salt in the wound. I never thought I'd say this but if they play the Yankees, I hope the Yanks sweep 'em in 3 just so the camera can focus on Torii Hunter's face as they get eliminated.:angry:

BarbG
09-21-2004, 03:08 PM
I agree.

I am not whining about anything. It is one thing to admit that the Sox didn't deserve to win a blooming thing the heartless, gutless way they played. And admit that the best "revenge" is playing well, which we also miserably failed to do.

I don't wish big-mouth big-ego CLASSLESS Torii well. If that makes me a whiner, so be it. Never gonna be a Twins fan.

I wish they had played like major leaguers. I still got out there and supported them.

Jerko
09-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Sorry, but being a big mouth when you win > being a big mouth when you lose. If Hunter is classless then so is Buehrle, and Koch before him, and Foulke before him, and Durham before him; all saying how much better the Sox were on paper, only to see none of the bragging come to fruition. Saying "I hope they enjoy their one week in the playoffs" is like a little kid who gets his milk money stolen by a bully hoping that a bigger bully beats his bully up. "oh the Twins kicked our ass but somebody else is gonna kick theirs so ha ha". Pathetic. Yes, Hunter is an ass, but the Sox are not an assless bunch themselves. Ball-less maybe.

BarbG
09-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Agreed again.

There are several Sox I would love to never see again. Ball-less doesn't begin to describe the pathetic-ness.

I still have no intention of rooting for the Twins now or ever. And the sight of punk Hunter makes me ill.

wdelaney72
09-21-2004, 04:05 PM
The Twins bring it every year, because it every year when the season starts, they get no love from the media. They seem to develop the "us against the world" attitude and use it very well.

There's nothing classless or obnoxious about the Twins. All they do is kick our ass consistently. We've had more of our idiot players run off at the mouth than the Twins. The sad thing is everything I hear coming out of the mouths of the Twins players is true.

Mark Buehrle has shown me this year that winning does not matter to him. The season went down the tubes and he went down right with it. He's a crybaby and a complete puss.

KingXerxes
09-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 2000 White Sox clinch the division because somebody else (Cleveland?) lost? IIRC the White Sox lost to Minnesota that day, and about 10 minutes later, the Cleveland final came in, and for some reason the White Sox celebrated back out on the field.........or am I dreaming?

Maybe this is what Hunter took exception to.

pudge
09-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 2000 White Sox clinch the division because somebody else (Cleveland?) lost? IIRC the White Sox lost to Minnesota that day, and about 10 minutes later, the Cleveland final came in, and for some reason the White Sox celebrated back out on the field.........or am I dreaming?

Maybe this is what Hunter took exception to.
That's what I'm trying to figure out, but nobody has answered my post yet. I guess it's a little silly to go BACK on the field, but there were probably some Sox fans in the dome that they were celebrating with, so whats the harm in that?

Irishsox1
09-21-2004, 05:36 PM
The Sox came back out on the field in 2000 to take pictures and to cheer with the fans that came up from Chicago. It was long after the game.

The Sox plunked Hunter for the Jamie Burke incident. Yes, he got plunked a month later, but he got what he deserved. The Burke play was dirty and he was plunked. End of story.

As for his current comments, the White Sox clinched at Minnesota in 2000!!! Get over it Hunter. The Twins have won 3 divisions in a row and are still talking about watching the Sox celebrate at Minnesota in 2000. The Twins always have a snappy comment from Hunter or Jones or whomever on why they beat the Sox and what charges them up. What the Twins should be talking about is how it's gonna feel once the Yankees bend them over and give them another Bronx beating for the 3rd straight year. As much as I envy the Twins for having there act together with such a small payroll, I hate their entire team.

santo=dorf
09-21-2004, 05:39 PM
The Sox plunked Hunter for the Jamie Burke incident. Yes, he got plunked a month later, but he got what he deserved. The Burke play was dirty and he was plunked. End of story.
The Sox waited a month and a half later to plunk Torri and the Twins return the favor in Carlos Lee's next at bat.

Foulke You
09-21-2004, 05:43 PM
That's what I'm trying to figure out, but nobody has answered my post yet. I guess it's a little silly to go BACK on the field, but there were probably some Sox fans in the dome that they were celebrating with, so whats the harm in that?
You are incorrect. The Sox did not go back on the field, they were already on the field when the celebrating began. I have the game on tape. The game was tied in the 9th inning and the Twins won on a walkoff homer off of a mop up duty pitcher that I believe was Kevin Beirne. The Sox won the AL Central in the 8th inning when they found out that the Tribe had lost. They politely shook hands in the dugout when the out of town scoreboard posted the final in Cleveland. When the game concluded, it had the bizarre sight of two teams celebrating on the field. The whole Twins team was celebrating at home plate with their walk off win and the Sox immediately started high fiving, shaking hands, and hugging on the field and in the dugout. There was nothing "classless" about it.

Everyone should not critique the play and actions of that 2000 team, they got the job done in the regular season. There wasn't a soul who thought the way they celebrated was wrong for the last 4 years up until Hunter makes these ridiculous comments. Hunter is trying to tarnish the Sox further by poo-pooing the one White Sox team that got the best of them and the sad thing here is that some of you guys are AGREEING with him!!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2004, 06:02 PM
You are incorrect. The Sox did not go back on the field, they were already on the field when the celebrating began. I have the game on tape. The game was tied in the 9th inning and the Twins won on a walkoff homer off of a mop up duty pitcher that I believe was Kevin Beirne. The Sox won the AL Central in the 8th inning when they found out that the Tribe had lost. They politely shook hands in the dugout when the out of town scoreboard posted the final in Cleveland. When the game concluded, it had the bizarre sight of two teams celebrating on the field. The whole Twins team was celebrating at home plate with their walk off win and the Sox immediately started high fiving, shaking hands, and hugging on the field and in the dugout. There was nothing "classless" about it.

Everyone should not critique the play and actions of that 2000 team, they got the job done in the regular season. There wasn't a soul who thought the way they celebrated was wrong for the last 4 years up until Hunter makes these ridiculous comments. Hunter is trying to tarnish the Sox further by poo-pooing the one White Sox team that got the best of them and the sad thing here is that some of you guys are AGREEING with him!!THANK YOU for setting the record straight. I'm amazed so many Sox Fans immediately jump to Torii Hunter's defense. The guy has a screw loose. Can we start treating him like the ****ing moron he is, okay?

I distinctly remember the comment from Rooney about how strange it appeared to have *two* teams celebrating on the field. Cleveland had just lost and the Twins had just recorded the final out on the Sox... so BOTH TEAMS were on the field celebrating.

So I'm guessing Torii thinks the Sox were suppose to sulk out of the dugout and make smores inside their HumpDome clubhouse before leaving town. The fact they didn't do this FOUR FREAKING YEARS AGO makes the Sox "classless" in Torii Hunter's eyes today?
:kukoo:

One thing has become abundantly clear this season about Torii Hunter. You can definitely get inside this guy's head. He's the type to let **** get under his skin.

**** hitting him. We ought to pitch him high and tight every at-bat. Just the anticipation of getting hit will drive him out of his mind... and that's all you really need to get him out of his game.
:cool:

Jjav829
09-21-2004, 06:11 PM

Everyone should not critique the play and actions of that 2000 team, they got the job done in the regular season. There wasn't a soul who thought the way they celebrated was wrong for the last 4 years up until Hunter makes these ridiculous comments. Hunter is trying to tarnish the Sox further by poo-pooing the one White Sox team that got the best of them and the sad thing here is that some of you guys are AGREEING with him!!They did come back out onto the field though. If you remember, they briefly celebrated on the field then went inside to get their hats and shirts and start popping corks. Some players then came back out onto the field wearing the division championship t-shirts and hats and started celebrating with the fans. This is when Konerko was running the bases with a beer in his hand and several players (I believe Jose Valentin was on of them though I'm not positive) started spraying champagne on the Sox fans who stuck around in the stands.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2004, 06:23 PM
They did come back out onto the field though. If you remember, they briefly celebrated on the field then went inside to get their hats and shirts and start popping corks. Some players then came back out onto the field wearing the division championship t-shirts and hats and started celebrating with the fans. This is when Konerko was running the bases with a beer in his hand and several players (I believe Jose Valentin was on of them though I'm not positive) started spraying champagne on the Sox fans who stuck around in the stands.Yes, yes... very classless.

They should have filed back quietly into the clubhouse and prayed.

:jerry
"And don't think for a minute I wouldn't talk about the players who didn't pray hard enough in next day's newspapers!"
:wink:

yankeessuck86
09-22-2004, 12:16 AM
What the Twins should be talking about is how it's gonna feel once the Yankees bend them over and give them another Bronx beating for the 3rd straight year. As much as I envy the Twins for having there act together with such a small payroll, I hate their entire team.

Well, that would be all well and good, but the Twins and the Yankees did not play each other in 2002. The Twins actually defeated the Oakland A's in 5 games before falling to the Anaheim Angels in 5 in the ALCS. And, for the record, the Twins may not get the Skanks in the first round of the playoffs. They will go into tomorrow a half game up for the 2nd seed in the AL, and would get Boston in that case.

pudge
09-22-2004, 01:49 AM
They did come back out onto the field though. If you remember, they briefly celebrated on the field then went inside to get their hats and shirts and start popping corks. Some players then came back out onto the field wearing the division championship t-shirts and hats and started celebrating with the fans. This is when Konerko was running the bases with a beer in his hand and several players (I believe Jose Valentin was on of them though I'm not positive) started spraying champagne on the Sox fans who stuck around in the stands.
Ah ha, that's the part I remember. I knew it was something like that. At any rate, it sounds like Hunter's just being a moron, what else is new?

santo=dorf
09-22-2004, 02:04 AM
They did come back out onto the field though. If you remember, they briefly celebrated on the field then went inside to get their hats and shirts and start popping corks. Some players then came back out onto the field wearing the division championship t-shirts and hats and started celebrating with the fans. This is when Konerko was running the bases with a beer in his hand and several players (I believe Jose Valentin was on of them though I'm not positive) started spraying champagne on the Sox fans who stuck around in the stands.
Man, I was at work listening to this. I really wish I could've seen it.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/dir-app/bbcard/bbMemberPicture.aspx?webtag=ml-whitesox&uid=693598962&cache=n:fans

t0071e
09-22-2004, 12:56 PM
:troll

You know there aren't any cool Twins sites because most of the fans think Toriiiiii is cool, so I came here and started defending the twins and now I am gone...

:hawk
"He Gone!"