PDA

View Full Version : And there we go...another season gone.

Jurr
09-20-2004, 09:11 PM
This absolutely sucks. The Sox lose 7 in a row to the Twins and finish off the most horrible season I can remember.

batmanZoSo
09-20-2004, 09:13 PM
This absolutely sucks. The Sox lose 7 in a row to the Twins and finish off the most horrible season I can remember.

Hey, we're not mathematically eliminated yet.

:cool:

Jurr
09-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Twins announcers:
" The Sox had dealt the Twins their only sweep at the dome earlier this year and thought they had made a big statement. A passing of the torch in this division. Well, we're about to make the ultimate statement."

HaroMaster87
09-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Twins announcers:
" The Sox had dealt the Twins their only sweep at the dome earlier this year and thought they had made a big statement. A passing of the torch in this division. Well, we're about to make the ultimate statement."
How can you call them classless when our players have said worse than that ALL SEASON LONG??? Or how about Koch at Soxfest???

batmanZoSo
09-20-2004, 09:16 PM
NOW we're eliminated.

Gosox1917
09-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Time to drink another sorrowful season away.

dpbyron
09-20-2004, 09:21 PM
:chunks

Ugh...

Jurr
09-20-2004, 09:21 PM
How can you call them classless when our players have said worse than that ALL SEASON LONG??? Or how about Koch at Soxfest???Well, I wouldn't feel too great about beating a crippled White Sox team. I wouldn't give them too much credit, either. They were absolutely screwed if we stayed healthy. They know that.

OEO Magglio
09-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Or how about Koch at Soxfest???
That was last season. I know the season was over along time ago but just watching that happen still hurt me. :(:

Jurr
09-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Quote from Toriii Hunter: (asked about the Burke play changing momentum)

"First, it's great to clinch in Chicago. They're our rivals, and it's great.
The Burke play was a way that I showed them we had heart. And we showed we had heart and now we're celebrating. And we'll keep playing."

C-Dawg
09-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Can't we re-align the divisions or something so we don't have to play the Twinks nearly so often? Better yet, lets move them to the NL so they can beat up on the Cubs on a regular basis!

A. Cavatica
09-20-2004, 09:29 PM
They were absolutely screwed if we stayed healthy. They know that.
Yeah, right, I'm sure they consider themselves to have dodged a bullet.

rwcescato
09-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Well, I wouldn't feel too great about beating a crippled White Sox team. I wouldn't give them too much credit, either. They were absolutely screwed if we stayed healthy. They know that.
The Twins looked bored winning another division. It must be hard to
feel good about yourself when your division gives absolutley no competition.
The only team that stood a chance rolls over and plays dead when we play them. Its just another shameful season.
Rich

rwcescato
09-20-2004, 09:32 PM
Can't we re-align the divisions or something so we don't have to play the Twinks nearly so often? Better yet, lets move them to the NL so they can beat up on the Cubs on a regular basis!
The divsion doesn't matter. The Sox did the same thing against the Indians before 2000 season.

Rich

Jurr
09-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Yeah, right, I'm sure they consider themselves to have dodged a bullet.Baseball's all about momentum and focus...you also have to have a swagger and confidence. When we went into the Metrodome and beat their asses, we had that swagger.
If that team stayed together, we would've kept that swagger. No doubt.

HaroMaster87
09-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Well, I wouldn't feel too great about beating a crippled White Sox team. I wouldn't give them too much credit, either. They were absolutely screwed if we stayed healthy. They know that.
Funniest post...EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jurr
09-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Bert Blyleven to Radke:

"Doesn't it feel good to win in Chicago and trash their clubhouse???"
Radke: "Yeah...that's all we care about at the moment!!"

I swear the motherf***er just said that.

batmanZoSo
09-20-2004, 09:35 PM

They'll end up with 94 or 95 wins. We wouldn't have won that many with Frank and Maggs.

HaroMaster87
09-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Bert Blyleven to Radke:

"Doesn't it feel good to win in Chicago and trash their clubhouse???"
Radke: "Yeah...that's all we care about at the moment!!"

I swear the motherf***er just said that.
Damn man...let it go...wanna bitch about the flubs now, too?

Jurr
09-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Well, hell....take away about half of those 7 wins in a row they have currently going against us and add about 10 wins that we would've gotten having the healthy heart of our lineup, and you've got a race. No doubt. You're a dunce if you don't see that.

OurBitchinMinny
09-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Congrats to the twins: enjoy your extra week of ball cause thats all your getting.

The sox have to be the most gutless collection of no talent ass clowns i have ever seen in my life. Ozzie=worst manager in the game; borchard biggest bust in team history; reinsdorf=worst owner in pro sports histoy (well maybe wirtz); buerhle= most overrated "ace"; bullpen=just freaking laughably bad; garland=hey what do you expect from an excub; too many crappy players to name. They all suck and all contributed to the suckiness. I hope people stop showing up the last few weeks to send a message to this heartless team of losers. **** THEM ALL!!!!!!!!

HaroMaster87
09-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Well, hell....take away about half of those 7 wins in a row they have currently going against us and add about 10 wins that we would've gotten having the healthy heart of our lineup, and you've got a race. No doubt. You're a dunce if you don't see that.
And you're a dunce if you dont see that they have better defense, a better bullpen AND a much better rotation than we do....game, set and match

Dont forget to check out my signature....:redneck

OurBitchinMinny
09-20-2004, 09:42 PM
They'll end up with 94 or 95 wins. We wouldn't have won that many with Frank and Maggs.
They wouldnt have beaten us 19 times in a row or whatever it is if we had frank and maggs. Of course they are part of this team too and to be a member of this team its a prereq not to have heart so who knows. The twins didnt fend off a chicago team at even close to full strength. But who cares, the sox quit

shagar69
09-20-2004, 09:43 PM
They were absolutely screwed if we stayed healthy. They know that. yeah im sure they were worried as hell at the beginning of the year about us since we have won the division the past three years!

batmanZoSo
09-20-2004, 09:43 PM

Take away 1 or 2 wins from their Cell sweep, and one at most from their home sweep and they're still at 92 or 93 wins. Ah, but you didn't say it would've been a race, you said they'd be "absolutely screwed." The point is, no matter what happened, the Twins were going to get hot enough when they needed to. They did it last year by winning something like 15 out of 17. They did it again this year by blowing us away with weeks left in the season. If you can't see that you're a dunce.

OurBitchinMinny
09-20-2004, 09:45 PM
The only guys on this team i want back are konerko, lee, rowand, garcia, and shingo (but not as closer), maybe see what contreas can do in full season. I would have picked buerhle, but after his embarrassing performance tonight he can go to hell for all i care. The rest can go **** themselves. They all are AAA players or else are washed up crap

JB98
09-20-2004, 09:49 PM
The only guys on this team i want back are konerko, lee, rowand, garcia, and shingo (but not as closer), maybe see what contreas can do in full season. I would have picked buerhle, but after his embarrassing performance tonight he can go to hell for all i care. The rest can go **** themselves. They all are AAA players or else are washed up crap

Don't you think you're overreacting a little bit?

batmanZoSo
09-20-2004, 09:49 PM
They wouldnt have beaten us 19 times in a row or whatever it is if we had frank and maggs. Of course they are part of this team too and to be a member of this team its a prereq not to have heart so who knows. The twins didnt fend off a chicago team at even close to full strength. But who cares, the sox quit

They didn't beat us 19 times in a row. We beat them 7 out of 10 early when it didn't matter. When it started to matter, they swept the sh## out of us. Don't bring up Frank and Maggs, we couldn't beat them with Buehrle and Garcia...we had our best and they took us out in our own park.

OurBitchinMinny
09-20-2004, 09:51 PM
They didn't beat us 19 times in a row. We beat them 7 out of 10 early when it didn't matter. When it started to matter, they swept the sh## out of us. Don't bring up Frank and Maggs, we couldn't beat them with Buehrle and Garcia...we had our best and they took us out in our own park.
I know they didnt really beat us that many times, i was exaggerating.....and who else other than the guys i named would you keep. This team is just heaping with crap. Crede? Harris? Who? other than the 4 or 5 i named, plus thomas and maggs

AddisonStSox
http://xdk9776.k12.sd.us/year/bears.jpg

Theres only one thing to do in a time like this...
BEAR DOWN!!!

"Bear Down, Chicago Bears" Lyrics

By Al Hoffman, 1941

Bear Down, Chicago Bears.
Make every play clear the way to victory!
Put up a fight with a might so fearlessly!

We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation,
With your T formation.

And let them know why you're wearing the crown.

You're the pride and joy,
Of all Illinois.

Chicago Bears, Bear Down!

Frankfan4life
Well thank goodness Ozzie had this all figured out. Imagine, he knew that the Twinkies would clinch at The Cell and therefore the fallout from the resulting humilation would be the fuel to propel us to a championship next season. Brilliant!

OurBitchinMinny
09-20-2004, 09:52 PM
maybe we didnt beat them w/buerhle and garcia because thomas and maggs werent playing. And maybe because buerhle is the most overrated front of the rotation guy in baseball

Jurr
09-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Baseball's all about momentum. As funny as that sounds, that's what baseball is, actually moreso than any sport because the crap sits on your brain day in and day out. Things seem to snowball.
Now, if you have the heart of your team still in the game all year, and you've got a good pitching staff, you're not going to tank like the Sox did. The pitching staff got really worn out (especially the pen) because every game was a close game. Some of those 8-3 wins would've helped out a bit.
Pitchers pitch better with leads because they're more calm. Hitting is contagious. The last live game I saw this year was the game where Paulie drove in the winning run against Anaheim after back to back shutouts against the red hot Rangers.
The team had a swagger about them. I believe that would've carried over. Now, if the Twins have a team on their heels, they're going to press more. With Maggs and Frank, we don't go on an 11 game losing streak. With Maggs and Frank, the Twins don't come in and sweep us (the Burke series)......the chemistry in the clubhouse was perfect, we were rolling, and things would've definitely been different. Baseball is a very "butterfly effect" game. Much more than football or basketball or any other sport. Ozzie was making a difference, and it was showing every day. We had finally shown an ability to go into Minnesota and beat those guys in our yearly "house of horrors." They were demoralized when we beat them 17-7. That is not something you can overlook. Finally, we had the Twins number, and something catastrophic happened to take us out of it. So, yes, the Twins should feel fortunate. They played well, give them credit, but this year was definitely looking to be a great Sox year.

OurBitchinMinny
09-20-2004, 09:54 PM
http://xdk9776.k12.sd.us/year/bears.jpg

Theres only one thing to do in a time like this...
BEAR DOWN!!!

"Bear Down, Chicago Bears" Lyrics

By Al Hoffman, 1941

Make every play clear the way to victory!
Put up a fight with a might so fearlessly!

We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation,
With your T formation.

And let them know why you're wearing the crown.

You're the pride and joy,
Of all Illinois.

Chicago Bears, Bear Down!

Thank God ozzie isnt managing the bears. He probably be rooting for the pack or vikes to clinch a playoff birth at soldiers field. I didnt think hed be a great manager, but an incompetent boob of one really did surprise me

Lip Man 1
09-20-2004, 09:55 PM
The Twins know how to play the game and they know how to win. I suggest Sox fans don't embarass themselves any further. Let's give them congratulations, wish them luck, then shut up and try to have Sox ownership figure out how to beat them.

Give the devil his due.

Lip

MRKARNO
Yes

Can we rid ourselves of this troll already?

batmanZoSo
Well thank goodness Ozzie had this all figured out. Imagine, he knew that the Twinkies would clinch at The Cell and therefore the fallout from the resulting humilation would be the fuel to propel us to a championship next season. Brilliant!

That and about 5 or 6 major personell changes on the field should do the trick.

I originally said it would be a positive for the Twins to clinch in Chicago, but I know it won't be. These guys will always think they're the better team...they'll get plowed at the plate and not retaliate...they'll guarantee wins and get smacked around...they'll take joy in watching the twins lose in the playoffs, insinuate that one round and out is worth nothing when you know if they made the playoffs they'd get swept...at least the twins will win a few games. It's utterly embarrassing to be a sox fan since June. You guys suck in so many ways.

OurBitchinMinny
09-20-2004, 09:56 PM
The Twins know how to play the game and they know how to win. I suggest Sox fans don't embarass themselves any further. Let's give them congratulations, wish them luck, then shut up and try to have Sox ownership figure out how to beat them.

Give the devil his due.

Lip
your right. congrats to the twins on holding off a glorified AAA team. I guess i cant fault the twins. they dont pick what division they play in. Just wait till they play a real major league team in october. Out in 4

duke of dorwood
09-20-2004, 09:59 PM
:KW

:reinsy

Thanks for nothing, again-

Guillen made ZERO difference, in my opinion.

AddisonStSox
09-20-2004, 10:00 PM
your right. congrats to the twins on holding off a glorified AAA team. I guess i cant fault the twins. they dont pick what division they play in. Just wait till they play a real major league team in october. Out in 4
ChiSoxfanin...Minny huh? So, how much money did you lose in the Twins winning the AL Central? I can sense the animosity. Be honest now...

Patrick134
09-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Hey Lip, do the twins keep magically forgetting how much they "know how to win" once the playoffs start every year ? I think the case the past few years is that the sox "know how to lose" the division.

batmanZoSo
09-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Baseball's all about momentum. As funny as that sounds, that's what baseball is, actually moreso than any sport because the crap sits on your brain day in and day out. Things seem to snowball.
Now, if you have the heart of your team still in the game all year, and you've got a good pitching staff, you're not going to tank like the Sox did. The pitching staff got really worn out (especially the pen) because every game was a close game. Some of those 8-3 wins would've helped out a bit.
Pitchers pitch better with leads because they're more calm. Hitting is contagious. The last live game I saw this year was the game where Paulie drove in the winning run against Anaheim after back to back shutouts against the red hot Rangers.
The team had a swagger about them. I believe that would've carried over. Now, if the Twins have a team on their heels, they're going to press more. With Maggs and Frank, we don't go on an 11 game losing streak. With Maggs and Frank, the Twins don't come in and sweep us (the Burke series)......the chemistry in the clubhouse was perfect, we were rolling, and things would've definitely been different. Baseball is a very "butterfly effect" game. Much more than football or basketball or any other sport. Ozzie was making a difference, and it was showing every day. We had finally shown an ability to go into Minnesota and beat those guys in our yearly "house of horrors." They were demoralized when we beat them 17-7. That is not something you can overlook. Finally, we had the Twins number, and something catastrophic happened to take us out of it. So, yes, the Twins should feel fortunate. They played well, give them credit, but this year was definitely looking to be a great Sox year.

It was somewhat different at one point this year, but remember last year? After beating them the first two at home in that four game series we were 9-5 on the year! We ended up 9-10. We had an edge on them last year too and they turned it on when it counted and we folded. The same thing would've happened if Maggs and Frank were healthy. I've never been more sure about anything in my life. We were just fools to believe otherwise earlier in the year. This group just cannot win. The end.

batmanZoSo
09-20-2004, 10:07 PM
maybe we didnt beat them w/buerhle and garcia because thomas and maggs werent playing. And maybe because buerhle is the most overrated front of the rotation guy in baseball

http://www.mindfully.org/Air/2002/Bush-Global-Warming-BALONEY12jul02.GIF

Maybe because you can't accept reality?

Viva Magglio
09-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Fire Williams and Guillen.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2004, 10:32 PM
ChisoxfaninMinny says: "Congrats to the Twins on holding off a glorified AAA team."

Just wondering...

Were the Sox a glorified triple A team last year? The Twins have finished better then the Sox for four straight seasons now. That's not 'luck' folks.

Patrick:

I'd love for the Sox to have won something three years in a row in their entire history. I'd love for the Sox to at least have a chance in the post season instead of sitting at home, pointing fingers, blaming outside negative forces like the media and constantly carping about being a 'small market.'Stop belittling em' because you're a sore loser. It's unbecomming for Sox fans. They usually know better.

Lip

Patrick134
09-20-2004, 10:38 PM
I'd rather win the world series once then win a division 27 times in a row. The goal of every team, every season, is to win the world series. In that respect, the sox, and twins, have been utter and complete failures for over 10 years.

MRKARNO
09-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Were the Sox a glorified triple A team last year? The Twins have finished better then the Sox for four straight seasons now. That's not 'luck' folks.

This is really the first year that I feel the Twins have earned it though. In 2003, we gave it to them and in 2002 we just weren't a good enough team to challenge them. THis year though they simply have been a more talented team. We have no one that can match Radke and we have no one that can match Santana. Our 3rd and 4th havent dont as well as their and at least they have a 5th starter! Their bullpen has been great as well after losing Hawkins AND Guardado. Their hitting was middle of the pack, but with their pitching it's irrelevent and they always seemed to hit when it mattered most. Hats off to the Twins (except Torii Hunter, the biggest a-hole in baseball) this year, not last year or the year before however.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Patrick:

By the twins the Twins have won two World Series in the last 17 years. The Sox haven't even been to a World series in 45 years.

Lip

AnkleSox
09-20-2004, 11:34 PM
The twins would not beat up on anybody in any other division. We've seen them dominate this pathetic division the past 3 years in a row and then get their asses handed to them in the first round of the playoffs. The twins are the 5th grade bully stuck in the absolute weakest class at the school but tortured by the bullies from every other 5th grade class.

Jerko
09-20-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah, right, I'm sure they consider themselves to have dodged a bullet.
Just like they have the past 3 years!

santo=dorf
09-20-2004, 11:42 PM
Fire Williams and Guillen.Why don't you go start yet another thread on it?

How much did you expect from a team who didn't resign some of its free agents and hired a no-experienced manager just to bring the fans out?

:reinsy

"Don't forget, he's cheap too.

:selljerry

Jerko
09-21-2004, 12:02 AM
I hate the Twins as much as the next guy, but it's not their fault that the Sox suck, have big mouths that they never back up, and are generally the same gutless bunch of losers they have been since losing in the playoffs in 2000. They won the division, they have a chance in the playoffs, they should be happy. I'd rather watch a team that wins a division celebrate than listen to the guys who came in 2nd, AGAIN, say how much better they are.

LASOXFAN
09-21-2004, 12:28 AM
baseball is not ALL about ANYTHING.

Frank and Mags
Frank and Mags
Frank and Mags.

Seems the Sox did a pretty good job of getting their ass kicked last year with "Frank and Mags", didn't they? This Twins team has been together long enough to know that a game you lose 17-7 anytime of year except October doesn't mean crapola. WAKE UP! The twins are better. Their coach is better. Their GM is better and most importantly THEIR PLAYERS ARE BETTER.

momentum my happy ass

The Sox blow because they swing wicked wood and nothing else. Ozzie's an f'n mascot. He should be wearing a styrofoam suit and moonwalking on top of the dugout between innings, not making out the lineup cards. And Kenny should be asking me if I want to supersize my big mac meal deal.

Today I curse the day my father took me to Comiskey Park in 1971 for my first baseball game. Come February I'll buy him a beer in Tucson and thank him for it again, for about the millionth time.

That, my friend, is baseball.

Tragg
09-21-2004, 12:39 AM
most importantly THEIR PLAYERS ARE BETTER.

They hit better than we do
They catch better than we do
They pitch better than we do
They are managed better than we are

starboy0
09-21-2004, 05:54 AM
The thing is the Twins know how to win and we don't. As far as the Frank and Maggs argument goes, well, we had them last year and look what happened. The Twins beat the bejeezus out of us then too!

They lose Guardado and Pierzinski (spelling?) from that team and still find a way to win the division. Like it or not they are just a fundamentally sound baseball team and manage to do it without a huge payroll.

I'm ssang, and I'm still an IDIOT!
09-21-2004, 06:21 AM

Frank and Mags
Frank and Mags
Frank and Mags.

Seems the Sox did a pretty good job of getting their ass kicked last year with "Frank and Mags", didn't they? This Twins team has been together long enough to know that a game you lose 17-7 anytime of year except October doesn't mean crapola. WAKE UP! The twins are better. Their coach is better. Their GM is better and most importantly THEIR PLAYERS ARE BETTER.

momentum my happy ass

The Sox blow because they swing wicked wood and nothing else. Ozzie's an f'n mascot. He should be wearing a styrofoam suit and moonwalking on top of the dugout between innings, not making out the lineup cards. And Kenny should be asking me if I want to supersize my big mac meal deal.

Today I curse the day my father took me to Comiskey Park in 1971 for my first baseball game. Come February I'll buy him a beer in Tucson and thank him for it again, for about the millionth time.

I LOVE this post!!!!!:) I agree, the only difference I have is my first game came when I was 3 in 1983. As for this guy, JURR, who truly feels like if we had Frank and Maggs that the Sox would win this division.....have you been living under a rock the past 3 years or something!?!?!? You are insane and sound moronic if you're trying make excuses for the Sox. The Twins are better than the Sox in EVERY single aspect that goes into an actual baseball team. You are completely blind if yo don't see this by now, with or without Thomas and Ordonez!!!!!!!!

poorme
09-21-2004, 08:41 AM

Frank and Mags
Frank and Mags
Frank and Mags.

momentum my happy ass

you are correct, sir!

OzzieBall
09-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Johan Santana won the division for the Twins. Nobody in baseball has hit the guy since the All-Star break.

The Twins have the most timely hitting in all of baseball. Their team is built for their rinky-dink ballpark. They have grinders, like Koskie, who even though has had a crap year, still outperformed our sorry third basemen.

The twins have short, compact swings and hit in cluth situations. The sox have a team that wins 11-1, and then loses three games in a row with scores like 3-1. We depend too much on homeruns.

Santana and their timely hitting won. Frank and Mags would have made it close, but still no difference.

Hard year, because I was really believing in May and June. And just like you said, I curse my family for making me a Sox fan, but next year, when I hear that pitcher and catchers report in a week, I'll call my Dad up and say, Thanks for making me a baseball fan.

Jurr
09-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Yet there is no reason for the front office or Sox fans to be in full panic mode. It's easy to forget that the Sox were a first-place team before injuries struck not once but twice in a big way. With Thomas in the lineup, the Sox had a 39-30 record. They played even better (30-20) when Ordonez was available. Combine the two and that winning percentage translates to 94 victories, enough to be in the hunt. What's more, K-Will could have a chunk of as much as $21 million in expired contracts to work with in the open market this winter. That may be enough to pursue Florida Marlins stud pitcher Carl Pavano, whose free-agent value may have peaked finally.

From the Southtown.
Whether we win the thing or not, who knows..but they stay in the lineup, and we're right there.

Dan H
09-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Patrick:

By the twins the Twins have won two World Series in the last 17 years. The Sox haven't even been to a World series in 45 years.

Lip
Not to mention that the Twins appeared in a World Series in 1965 when again the Sox were in second place. Their third straight division title also equals the number of Sox division titles since division play began in 1969. (Unless you count that so called division title in 1994, which I don't.)

This is not the mention those stupid commericals where the Sox bragged that their only real change was hiring Guillen. Don't get mad at the Twins for gloating. Get mad at the organization that sat around and did nothing except for getting mad at fans at SoxFest for calling the incompetents down on it. Well, I guess that's what we get for not being optimistic.

Ol' No. 2
09-21-2004, 10:49 AM

Frank and Mags
Frank and Mags
Frank and Mags.

Where would the Red Sox be without Ramirez and Ortiz? Certainly not at the top of the AL in offense. Probably somewhere around the middle and a speck in the Yankees rear-view mirror. The collapse didn't start with Hunter mowing down Burke. It started much earlier. Or did you forget about the giant egg they laid in Montreal?

When we last saw both Thomas and Ordonez in the lineup (late May), the Sox were 9 over with a .600 winpct after playing the toughest two-month stretch of their schedule. Since then they have been below .500 in June, July, August and they probably will be when September's over. The Sox definately have holes, and I'm not suggesting they would have run away with the division, but if you don't think losing 230 RBI makes a difference, you're kidding yourself. No team could absorb that kind of hit.

Baby Fisk
09-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Where would the Red Sox be without Ramirez and Ortiz? Certainly not at the top of the AL in offense. Probably somewhere around the middle and a speck in the Yankees rear-view mirror. The collapse didn't start with Hunter mowing down Burke. It started much earlier. Or did you forget about the giant egg they laid in Montreal?

When we last saw both Thomas and Ordonez in the lineup (late May), the Sox were 9 over with a .600 winpct after playing the toughest two-month stretch of their schedule. Since then they have been below .500 in June, July, August and they probably will be when September's over. The Sox definately have holes, and I'm not suggesting they would have run away with the division, but if you don't think losing 230 RBI makes a difference, you're kidding yourself. No team could absorb that kind of hit.Hey, welcome aboard! :welcome:

gosox41
09-21-2004, 10:57 AM

When we last saw both Thomas and Ordonez in the lineup (late May), the Sox were 9 over with a .600 winpct after playing the toughest two-month stretch of their schedule. Since then they have been below .500 in June, July, August and they probably will be when September's over. The Sox definately have holes, and I'm not suggesting they would have run away with the division, but if you don't think losing 230 RBI makes a difference, you're kidding yourself. No team could absorb that kind of hit.
Losing Thomas and Ordonez definitely hurts, but the Sox were playing .600 ball with them hitting well and Uribe and Harris on fire until late May. The Sox would have a better record now if Thoams and Ordonez were both healthy, but I don't think they would have made the playoffs.

Bob

Hangar18
09-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Take away the Games LOST by Mike Jackson and Cliff Politte .......Just them ..... and We LEAD the division instead of getting it Clinched Away.
If we just gave up the 3 or 4 Million ............. and WIN the Division.
If we couldve ........Just ...........Ponied ............Up...........The Money
:angry: :angry:

Lip Man 1
09-21-2004, 12:30 PM
I thought it was particularly ironic that the Sox ended the game, giving the Twins their title on a pop up. That in a nutshell is the difference between the two teams...guys who swing for the fences and guys who put the ball in play.

Dan H. Bravo! Right on the money.

Lip

batmanZoSo
09-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Not to mention that the Twins appeared in a World Series in 1965 when again the Sox were in second place. Their third straight division title also equals the number of Sox division titles since division play began in 1969. (Unless you count that so called division title in 1994, which I don't.)

This is not the mention those stupid commericals where the Sox bragged that their only real change was hiring Guillen. Don't get mad at the Twins for gloating. Get mad at the organization that sat around and did nothing except for getting mad at fans at SoxFest for calling the incompetents down on it. Well, I guess that's what we get for not being optimistic.

Yeah but they were swept by LA in 65. We all had a good laugh when they clinched the pennant because we knew they had no chance in teh Series.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Actually they lost in seven games to the Dodgers with Koufax winning the final game at Minnesota, I think it was 2-0.

Lip

MRKARNO
09-21-2004, 04:49 PM
We can talk about offense as the problem all we want with Maggs and Thomas going down, but here is why we had hope this year in the first place:

May 31st:

Buehrle: 3.46 ERA
Garland: 3.93 ERA
Loaiza: 3.69 ERA
Schoeneweis: 3.64 ERA

If this had kept up, there is no doubt in my mind that we would have won the division. We had reason to believe it would. Buehrle has posted similar ERAs before, Loaiza was coming off his miracle season, Garland looked like he was finally maturing and Schoenweis looked like a KW diamond in the rough. Once this started to break down, the team started to lose more. It just goes to show how important starting pitching

Nate_in_Kansas
09-21-2004, 05:43 PM
The twins would not beat up on anybody in any other division. We've seen them dominate this pathetic division the past 3 years in a row and then get their asses handed to them in the first round of the playoffs. The twins are the 5th grade bully stuck in the absolute weakest class at the school but tortured by the bullies from every other 5th grade class.Does everyone just conveniently forget that the Twins DID win in the first round two years ago? They were in the ALCS for Christ's sake! So in two years, that means they've been swept out exactly ONCE. Which also means they've won one more postseason series in the last two years than the Sox have in 80+ years.

Get over it already!

Nate_in_Kansas
09-21-2004, 05:48 PM

Frank and Mags
Frank and Mags
Frank and Mags.

momentum my happy ass

BRILLIANT! Thank you for speaking the truth!

JKryl
09-24-2004, 12:24 PM
I knew it, I just knew it. So, what's the solution? Do you try to stay unemotional at the beginning of the year when the Sox manage to stay in first place for a month or two? Or, do you go ahead and cheer, knowing that it may be the only joy you get that year? Can anyone figure it out?:angry:

Al Capone
09-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Just continue to drink during the whole season....it numbs the pain by the end of the year!:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

JKryl
09-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Just continue to drink during the whole season....it numbs the pain by the end of the year!:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
I knew that. All those dead brain cells must be adding up. Thanks for the reminder.