PDA

View Full Version : Todd Walker

Jerome
09-20-2004, 03:33 PM
The Cubune today listed the 8 FAs-to be on the Cubs. While I know we have no chance at Nomar or Clement, they listed Todd Walker as a FA.

Although I believe that Hendry is smart and will keep him, I really think if he doesn't, we need to make a run at him. It's obvious that he wasn't happy with his playing time this year. He would be great at the top of our order for $2 million. (they listed him as about $1.75 mil.)

He would get on base a ton and wouldn't strike out too much. Remember how great we were doing in June when Harris and Uribe were setting the table?

For those of you worried about defense (which is overrated), Uribe plays a pretty good short and Crede plays a pretty good third. Harris would move to CF and Rowand would probably move to RF (unless we get someone to replace him). Rowand would be fine defensively in right and Harris has a pretty good glove no matter what position he plays.

Walker would improve our hitting big time. He was the leadoff man in 2003 for Boston I believe, and that was a great offense.

AddisonStSox
09-20-2004, 04:00 PM
For those of you worried about defense (which is overrated), Uribe plays a pretty good short and Crede plays a pretty good third. Harris would move to CF and Rowand would probably move to RF (unless we get someone to replace him). Rowand would be fine defensively in right and Harris has a pretty good glove no matter what position he plays.

Good God. Is this what is has come down to? How intimidating would this 2005 lineup be?

1: Walker 2b
2: Rowand RF
3: CLee LF
4: Hurt DH
5: Gload 1B
6: Uribe SS
7: Crede 3b
8: Davis C
9:Harris CF

Better buy those season tickets now. That may be one of the scariest Sox lineups in recent memory. Unless we make some serious improvements in the pitching dept. you might be looking at a fourth place team.

Soxzilla
09-20-2004, 05:00 PM
That lineup sucks.

Gload shouldn't be starter
Jury is out on Uribe, but I could deal with him
Harris is a late inning situational pinch runner
Crede is awful, trade him

Ugh. I'm going to shoot myself if ANYTHING like this happens, and knowing jerry....

:reinsy
"Hey, my whole infield won't cost more than 5 million! Where do I sign?"

Rex Hudler
09-20-2004, 05:18 PM
For those of you worried about defense (which is overrated),
Care to back up that statement? I would like to know how defense is overrated. Please enlighten us.

MRKARNO
09-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Care to back up that statement? I would like to know how defense is overrated. Please enlighten us.
Defense can be minimized when you have a lot of strikeout pitchers, but even the best strikeout pitchers allow the ball to be put into play 50-65% of the time. If your defense turns two hits into outs, that's huge because that's at least two more at bats that they dont have the chance to utilize and this is critical in close games. In addition it means that there isn't another baserunner. Good defensive teams are in general much more successful because they limit the chances to score of the opposition. Defense is very important as a general rule, though not as important as hitting or pitching.

Daver
09-20-2004, 05:33 PM
I think he was saying the Sox defense is over rated, which I would agree with. People look at the few number of errors and don't realize it is because a lot of players on this team can't get to the ball to try and make a play.

Rex Hudler
09-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Defense can be minimized when you have a lot of strikeout pitchers, but even the best strikeout pitchers allow the ball to be put into play 50-65% of the time. If your defense turns two hits into outs, that's huge because that's at least two more at bats that they dont have the chance to utilize and this is critical in close games. In addition it means that there isn't another baserunner. Good defensive teams are in general much more successful because they limit the chances to score of the opposition. Defense is very important as a general rule, though not as important as hitting or pitching.
I am not sure if you were arguing for or against me, but I do know this..... Good defense makes pitchers better!

Jerome
09-20-2004, 06:04 PM

I am mostly talking about Todd Walker. His offense would more than make up for his defense. And in general, I would prefer a better hitting team then a team with a great fielding %. I'm not saying defense means nothing. And I'm 100% not turning this into a defesnse vs. Moneyball thread.

SOXSINCE'70
09-20-2004, 08:10 PM
I am not sure if you were arguing for or against me, but I do know this..... Good defense makes pitchers better!
Sox pitchers are so scared to throw ground balls it's pathetic.Another E-6??
An E-5?? An E-4?? Like you said,Hudler,good defense makes pitchers better.
It (good defense) also helps win championships.As soon as that baboon Reinsdork figures out that a lineup that swings from its' collective "arse" for the 3 run HR with noone on base wins nothing,things might change.
But these are the White Sox,so don't quote me on that.

:kneeslap: :kneeslap: :kneeslap: :kneeslap: