PDA

View Full Version : Team you'll be rooting for in October?

Bisco Stu
09-20-2004, 04:37 AM
Much as I hate them, gotta go with the Dodgers. Because of Robin and Steve Finley, two of my 10 fave active MLB'ers.

doublem23
09-20-2004, 04:43 AM
Of the teams still really in it for October, I think this is how I'd root...

1) Oakland... I like the A's a lot, mostly because they remind me a lot about the Sox.
2) St. Louis... Another psuedo-favorite of mine, though, living in Central Illinois, the Cardinals can get on your nerves.
3) Los Angeles... Get Robin a ring!
4) Houston... Just get there.
5) Anaheim... Eh, they already won a World Series 2 years ago, they don't need another.
6) Atlanta... I have no feeling towards them one way or the other.
7) San Francisco... Ditto. Though, in a small way, it would be nice to see Dusty's old team win it all.
8) Minnesota... ****ers
9) Yankees... Douchebags
10) Red Sox... *******s
11) Cubs... Spawn of Satan

samram
09-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Dodgers first, Angels second (if they get there, which is unlikely) then anybody who isn't the Cubs, Yankees, or Twins.

Erik The Red
09-20-2004, 09:10 AM
The Cards have always been my NL fav, so with the Sox watching the playoffs from home once again... GO REDBIRDS!!!

LuvSox
09-20-2004, 09:33 AM
The Cards have always been my NL fav, so with the Sox watching the playoffs from home once again... GO REDBIRDS!!!
This is normally the time of year I root for the Cards.

Gosox1917
09-20-2004, 09:37 AM
This is normally the time of year I root for the Cards.
I hear ya.

eriqjaffe
09-20-2004, 09:42 AM
I spent 8 years in LA, so I have a bit of an attachment to the Dodgers...after that, the Cardinals...

OEO Magglio
09-20-2004, 09:44 AM
If the marlins get in(which looks more and more unlikely) I'll definitely be rooting for them. After that the Cardinals and then the Dodgers. I'm not a big fan of any the teams that look like they're going in the AL unless the Angels get in.

Viva Magglio
09-20-2004, 09:55 AM
The team that plays the Cubs, should they win the NL Wildcard God forbid.

soxfan26
09-20-2004, 10:07 AM
The Bears

thepaulbowski
09-20-2004, 10:32 AM
The Bears
I second that...Baseball season is over for me. I'll be spending my time watching college & pro football.

whitesoxwilkes
09-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Yankees and Dodgers.

shagar69
09-20-2004, 11:11 AM
cardinals of course!

samram
09-20-2004, 12:58 PM
If the marlins get in(which looks more and more unlikely) I'll definitely be rooting for them. After that the Cardinals and then the Dodgers. I'm not a big fan of any the teams that look like they're going in the AL unless the Angels get in.
Sweeping the Cubs today would definitely help the Marlins' cause. The problem is the Astros play the Giants this week, and that may allow the Cubs to pick up some ground if they play well. A sweep by any of the four teams will put the other team in that series in a real bad spot- let's just hope it's the Marlins with the sweep.

jeremyb1
09-20-2004, 01:00 PM
The Dodgers in the NL and the A's in the AL I'd have to say. I'd really like to see the Dodgers do well after the flak the team unfairly recieved for the LoDuca - Penny deal.

Randar68
09-20-2004, 01:07 PM
The Dodgers in the NL and the A's in the AL I'd have to say. I'd really like to see the Dodgers do well after the flak the team unfairly recieved for the LoDuca - Penny deal.I'm SHOCKED! :tongue:

Lip Man 1
09-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Anybody but the Cubs.

Lip

dpbyron
09-20-2004, 02:10 PM
The problem is the Astros play the Giants this week, and that may allow the Cubs to pick up some ground if they play well..This can also be viewed as a big negative to the Cubs because it guarantees that one of those teams will win each day. It also means that every game they lose to the Pirates they are guaranteed to lose one game in the standings. GO PIRATES!:bandance:

balke
09-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Anybody but the Cubs.

Lip
We won't to have to worry about that, since the Pads or Giants are taking it. (:Hope)

I'm going for Giants if they go deeper in playoffs, Cards all the way through the playoffs, maybe Dodgers if they are in the WS

I'm not a big fan of any A.L. teams. I'd watch the Angels if they got in. As much as I hate Man Ram, and Ortiz, I might root for Boston against anyone to win the AL title, and lose the WS

24thStFan
09-20-2004, 03:07 PM
If the marlins get in(which looks more and more unlikely) I'll definitely be rooting for them. I'm rooting for the national league tenants of USCF - the Florida Marlins! GO FISH!!!!

Hope they go on a winning streak (especially against the Cubs) and make it into the playoffs.

JGarlandrules20
09-20-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm rooting for the A's.. 4 reasons: Hudson, Mulder, Zito, Harden. :smile:

Mohoney
09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
I would like to see the A's win it, for one reason. It proves to everybody that STARTING PITCHING is the most important commodity to building a champion.

We have 3 quality pitchers in Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras. We need another 2 solid starters.

I say Russ Ortiz and Eric Milton, but that's just me. Arguments can be made for an Odalis Perez or a Carl Pavano, but I would pick Ortiz over either one of these two. Either way, any two out of the crop of free agents will be alright by me. I just really want one of them to be another lefty like Milton to compliment Buehrle.

Garcia, Ortiz, Buehrle, Contreras, Milton? That could stack up against anybody over a 162 game season. Plus, if we're hell-bent on trading one of our big bats, we can probably get some upper-tier pitching prospects to add to the guys that we already have on the farm in McCarthy, Tracey, Lumsden, Gonzalez, and hopefully Wing and Honel when they get healthy.

I don't know, maybe Texas would be willing to part with Alfonso Soriano, John Hudgins, Kameron Loe, and a low-level SS throw-in for Jon Garland and Carlos Lee? Then we can trade Soriano to the Yankees for some much-needed bullpen help?

OEO Magglio
09-20-2004, 05:44 PM
I would like to see the A's win it, for one reason. It proves to everybody that STARTING PITCHING is the most important commodity to building a champion.

We have 3 quality pitchers in Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras. We need another 2 solid starters.

I say Russ Ortiz and Eric Milton, but that's just me. Arguments can be made for an Odalis Perez or a Carl Pavano, but I would pick Ortiz over either one of these two. Either way, any two out of the crop of free agents will be alright by me. I just really want one of them to be another lefty like Milton to compliment Buehrle.

Garcia, Ortiz, Buehrle, Contreras, Milton? That could stack up against anybody over a 162 game season. Plus, if we're hell-bent on trading one of our big bats, we can probably get some upper-tier pitching prospects to add to the guys that we already have on the farm in McCarthy, Tracey, Lumsden, Gonzalez, and hopefully Wing and Honel when they get healthy.

I don't know, maybe Texas would be willing to part with Alfonso Soriano, John Hudgins, Kameron Loe, and a low-level SS throw-in for Jon Garland and Carlos Lee? Then we can trade Soriano to the Yankees for some much-needed bullpen help?

Milton and Ortiz would get destroyed in the al pitching at the cell, imo. Pavano is the guy I want, he's a complete stud.

Chisox353014
09-20-2004, 05:53 PM
See my signature for details.

MRKARNO
09-20-2004, 06:42 PM
NL: I am for the most part ABC (Anyone But the Cubs), but I would like to see the Giants win more than anyone else, then the Cards, with the Astros on the same level. I can cheer for teh Dodgers as well. I really cant work up a ton of Braves enthusiasm (but I might have to once again).

AL: Sorta for the Red Sox, Sorta for the A's, Sorta for the Yankees and sorta for the Angels and am totally against the Twins (though it's hard for me to cheer against Johan, it's easy to hate Torii).

If it came down to a Twins Cubs world Series, I'd go mad and then I'd work up enthusiasm for the idiots in the land of ten thousand lakes.

MUsoxfan
09-20-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm rooting for a Cardinals/Red Sox World Series. Therefore I'd be happy if either team won. I hate Bonds, so I wouldn't be able to root for the Giants. I'm impartial on the Dodgers, but I like Ventura. I HATE the Twins. I don't mind Oakland. But the Cards/Carmines would be a nice World Series.

shagar69
09-20-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm rooting for a Cardinals/Red Sox World Series. Therefore I'd be happy if either team won. I hate Bonds, so I wouldn't be able to root for the Giants. I'm impartial on the Dodgers, but I like Ventura. I HATE the Twins. I don't mind Oakland. But the Cards/Carmines would be a nice World Series. how can you like the bosox? their fans are almost as bad as cub fans! id MUCH rather have the bronx bombers win it. and how can you hate barry? hes amazing! he deserves a ring

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-20-2004, 10:48 PM
I dont think the A's have the capabilities of going that far in the playoffs.
Braves-Meh
Giants-Meh
Houston-A little Meh
Dodgers- Meh/Yea
Twinksters-Hizell No
Bankees-Nope
A's-Meh
Oh--by and by..
http://owensborocatholic.org/cotton/BC/Athletics/2003FallSoftballPictures/GoCardinals.jpg

Lem_Siddons
09-20-2004, 10:48 PM
I will pull for the AL before the NL, well maybe I will be pulling for Houston and Roger to crush the Yankees at Yankee Stadium.

JB98
09-20-2004, 11:06 PM
I will root for the AL West champion, likely Oakland, because the Twins, the Red Sox and the Yankees are my three least favorite teams in the AL.

In the NL, I'm rooting for the Cardinals. I think it would be hysterical if the Cubs hated rivals won it all in the "Guaranteed World Series Season" on the North Side. I'd also root for the Dodgers because of Ventura.

Railsplitter
09-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Astros. Houston's played second fiddle to the second largest city in Texas for too long.

SSSoxFan
09-21-2004, 11:26 AM
I would have to take the A's. Then the Marlins. I cannot take another post season of the Cubs, so I would also take whoever plays the Cubs.

mike squires
09-21-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm kind of surpized not to see anyone "rooting" for the Twins. I too hate them and I won't be necesarrally cheering for them but it wouldn't make the central division look quite as bad if they did something....Well, you know what I mean.

DSpivack
09-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Cardinals have always been my #2, ever since seeing Busch Stadium and that other Ozzie whenI was a wee lad.

Besides St. Louis, go Fish!

SOXSINCE'70
09-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Cards and A's,just to seer LaRussa manage against his former team.:cool:

JoseCanseco6969
09-21-2004, 01:23 PM
My Order

1.) Cards- i luv the Cards
2.) Astros- need to sweep Giants
3.) Dodgers - Wouldnt mind them taking it, although unlikely
4.) Giants - Well if not the Stros, anyone but the Cubs
5.) Yankees - I HATE BOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6.) Atlanta - could care less
7.) Oakland - not a big fan, but better then the rest of these garbage teams
8.) Twins - BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!
9.) BOSTON/CUBS - what's the difference?

So out of this group i only really like two teams of the bunch, Stros and Cards

it's gonna be a longggg offseason

JoseCanseco6969
09-21-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm rooting for a Cardinals/Red Sox World Series. Therefore I'd be happy if either team won. I hate Bonds, so I wouldn't be able to root for the Giants. I'm impartial on the Dodgers, but I like Ventura. I HATE the Twins. I don't mind Oakland. But the Cards/Carmines would be a nice World Series.
WHY THE HELL BOSTON??????????

santo=dorf
09-21-2004, 04:08 PM
1.) Yankees. Everyone gets mad when they win, we're already mad, so let's all get together!
2.) Cards. Tony LaRussa and the fact that I live by alot of Cardinals fans. One reason why I don't want them to win is because it'll make our division look weaker. Their has never been a World Series representative from the NL Central.
3.) Dodgers.
4.) Astros/Giants. I liked the Astros earlier in the season and wanted to see two former Yankees pitch against their former team, but Pettite is out for the year. I hate Barry Bonds and AJ Piersynski.
5.) Braves. One of the first NL teams I started following thanks to TBS.
6.) Oakland. I would like to see Oakland lose in the first round only if it is to the Red Sox just because I'm sick of hearing about Beane's "Moneyball" philosophy.
7.) Boston. I hate them, but I hate the Twins more.
8.) The Twins!:angry: I hope they get pounded by the Yankees.

I'm also rooting for the larger payroll teams so they can show that spending money on quality players is more likely to bring you success than banking on your farm system.

bafiarocks03
09-21-2004, 04:24 PM
oakland then braves!

Win1ForMe
09-21-2004, 05:42 PM
Milton and Ortiz would get destroyed in the al pitching at the cell, imo. Pavano is the guy I want, he's a complete stud.
I don't mind Milton as a backup option. Don't forget he's been pitching in a very good hitter's park in Philly, so the Cell shouldn't be at all different.

As far as the original question, I guess I'll root for the Braves to win the NL, and of course AGAINST the Cubs (indifferent to all the others). In the AL, probably the Yankees, only because I hate the Twins, Red Sox fans remind me too much of the Cubs, and I'd like to stay away from the "Billy Beane is a genius" lovefest should the A's win the WS.

OEO Magglio
09-21-2004, 05:48 PM
I don't mind Milton as a backup option. Don't forget he's been pitching in a very good hitter's park in Philly, so the Cell shouldn't be at all different.

As far as the original question, I guess I'll root for the Braves to win the NL, and of course AGAINST the Cubs (indifferent to all the others). In the AL, probably the Yankees, only because I hate the Twins, Red Sox fans remind me too much of the Cubs, and I'd like to stay away from the "Billy Beane is a genius" lovefest should the A's win the WS.
Milton's era is 4.81 in the nl coming back to the al he would just get destroyed considering he walks a lot of guys too. Ortiz just walks way to many guys to be successful in the al, imo.

Jjav829
09-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Let's put it this way, I bought my Scott Rolen jersey about a month and a half ago. :smile:

My order would be: Cards, Astros, Giants, Braves, Dodgers, Red Sox, A's, Yankees, Twins, Cubs.

Jerome
09-21-2004, 06:26 PM
The A's. How could you not with their payroll? They will be playing teams with much higher payrolls. (Except the Twins, and how could anyone root for them?)

nitetrain8601
09-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Boston/Giants all the way!!!!!

Bonds and Pedro are my two favorite players outside the southside

Fenway
09-22-2004, 12:17 AM
My Order

9.) BOSTON/CUBS - what's the difference?

I do not understand White Sox fans hating Boston..it makes NO sense

MRKARNO
09-22-2004, 12:25 AM
It does when you think about it in the context of White Sox fans seeing Boston associated with the Cubs all the time and many Cubs fans with Bosox stuff and vice versa. It's as though they somehow share a connection. White Sox fans see anything associated with the Cubs as bad and by extension, the Red Sox. White Sox fans also did not like the way the Red Sox fans acted at US Cellular Field this year. While Chisox fans were respectful at Fenway, Bosox fans were not so much, though that may be just because a lot of the "Red Sox fans" were Cubs fans with Red Sox stuff on.

It all boils down to the Cubs connection and until the Red Sox win the world series (which they should this year and I hope they do because I'm sick of all of the whining out of Boston, as are the fans of the other 27 teams (cubs not included)), they will forever be associated with the Cubs.

balke
09-22-2004, 02:19 AM
Hehe. ESPN + the word curse + Man RAM = sox dislike

I liked Boston a lot more with Nomar as the face, but now it's Manram, and Ortiz who I don't have figured out yet as to whether or not I like the guy. I used to hate Pedro, til he threw Zimmer in the dirt, and said "Who is Karrreeem Garcia?! I am Pedro Martinez, who is he?" That was great.

If it makes you feel any better, this is one Sox fan who feels you are the lesser of many evils, until you get to the WS. Then odds are I'll be chanting curses. We're in a loser race here, you think we're going to be happy to see you leave our group?:wink:

Fenway
09-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Hehe. ESPN + the word curse + Man RAM = sox dislike

If it makes you feel any better, this is one Sox fan who feels you are the lesser of many evils, until you get to the WS. Then odds are I'll be chanting curses. We're in a loser race here, you think we're going to be happy to see you leave our group?:wink:Yankees fans think ESPN is pro Boston, Red Sox fans thing ESPN is pro New York.

Gammons of course bleeds Red Sox, he lives 5 minutes from Fenway and is there many nights when he doesnt make the 2 hour drive to Bristol, CT.

Speaking of Red Sox fans, they are overloading the Twins website buying playoff tickets. The Metrodome maybe full of Red Sox fans as WEEI and the Boston papers alerted fans that tickets went on sale this morning.

Welcome to the Minnesota Twins Virtual Waiting Room

The event you have requested is experiencing very high demand. As a result, all requests for seats cannot be served simultaneously. Please be patient, and your browser will be refreshed in When we refresh your browser, we will determine your status in the waiting room and if appropriate give you an opportunity to request seats.
During high demand periods such as now, the ticketing system must fulfill requests from multiple sales channels (e.g., boxoffice, call centers, outlets, IVR, Kiosks) as well as the Internet. This spike in traffic means that all consumers must be patient and wait for their opportunity to purchase tickets.
Thank you!

Hangar18
09-22-2004, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=OEO Magglio]If the marlins get in(which looks more and more unlikely) I'll definitely be rooting for them. QUOTE]

the Marlins Pitching is about 1 Pitcher short, and their bench is a bit weak.
If they had just one more hitter ........ they couldve weathered this ......

Think about this for a moment. What if the Marlins ..... Kept Matt Clement.
And kept Todd Hollandsworth. and Derrek Lee? We certainly WOULDNT be
seeing the cubby camelot were seeing now, now would we?

thepaulbowski
09-22-2004, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=OEO Magglio]If the marlins get in(which looks more and more unlikely) I'll definitely be rooting for them. QUOTE]

the Marlins Pitching is about 1 Pitcher short, and their bench is a bit weak.
If they had just one more hitter ........ they couldve weathered this ......

Think about this for a moment. What if the Marlins ..... Kept Matt Clement.
And kept Todd Hollandsworth. and Derrek Lee? We certainly WOULDNT be
seeing the cubby camelot were seeing now, now would we?
If the Marlins had kept Clement they wouldn't have Willis. I don't think they are complaining about this trade. Plus the Marlins got rid Alfonseca. People get traded and/or leave every team via free agency. And when did the Marlins have Todd Hollandsworth???? Plus they used one of the players they got for Lee to trade for LoDuca from the Dodgers (an all star.)

LauraJ14
09-22-2004, 06:37 PM
1. A's because of their starting pitching

2. Cardinals- Pujols is great

Then Astro's, Giants, Dodgers.

I don't want to see the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs winning anything because all 3 teams have the most annoying fans.

Nick@Nite
09-23-2004, 08:23 PM
I'll be rooting for none, and will like it.

Win1ForMe
09-23-2004, 10:52 PM
I do not understand White Sox fans hating Boston..it makes NO senseCubs + Red Sox: ESPN. Losers. Curses. "Tradition."
:chunks

MRKARNO
09-23-2004, 11:05 PM
Let's go Giants!

santo=dorf
09-23-2004, 11:08 PM
I do not understand White Sox fans hating Boston..it makes NO senseWhen I was a kid I though it was stupid for two teams to have "Sox" in their name. As I found out later, we were the Sox before Boston.

I admire King George because he gives the fans what they want. Boston does the same thing and their owner comes out in public crying for a salary cap.

I went to Elvis night (Friday night game) and there were a ton of Red Sox fans in attendance. They were the worst behaved fans I've ever seen while attending a game. I think it is extremely rude for fans of a visting team to go to the opposing team's ballpark, and boo some of the players of the home team. Especially if is a team that plays in a separate division.

Just my $.02.