PDA

View Full Version : Why the Flubs are doomed even if they make the playoffs

Bisco Stu
09-20-2004, 04:35 AM
The Flubs are 16-25 in one-run games. Only Arizona, Montreal and Detroit are worse.

Nothing spells success in October like losing one-run games.

soxwon
09-20-2004, 07:17 PM
If the Flubs make the playoffs

WE ARE the doomed ones!!!

never hear the end of it.

OEO Magglio
09-20-2004, 07:18 PM
The cubs might make the playoffs because they have a ridiculously easy schedule to end the season this year. But they'll get smashed in the playoffs if they get there, they were a much better team last year.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2004, 07:25 PM
It doesn't matter if the Cubs get smashed in the playoffs. They have now put together two straight winning seasons for the first time since Richard Nixon was in office. They'll have made the playoffs two years in a row, something the Sox have never done, they have a monster payroll befitting a 'large market' team.

Taken all together it's another stake in the heart of the Sox who continue to lose market share in their own city every season.

But remember Uncle Jerry says he wants to win more then Sox fans do! (He sure has a funny way of showing it!)

Lip

IMPACT
09-21-2004, 01:55 AM
The Flubs are 16-25 in one-run games. Only Arizona, Montreal and Detroit are worse.

Nothing spells success in October like losing one-run games.

You are absolutely correct. That is a horrid one-run game record. It is amazing to me that the Cubs are able to maintain despite not being able to pull out the nailbiters time and time again. Then again, there are a few factors that give me pause:

1. The Bullpen: Granted, they have played a relatively soft schedule in September to this point, however, the bullpen has been very good over the past 2 weeks. They possess some very good young arms (Leicester and Wellemeyer) to compliment Mercker and Remlinger. LaTroy Hawkins has also shown signs of consistency, by adding another pitch and closing out games effectively.

2. Offense: The Cubs, win or lose, in the past 2 weeks have also seemed to have awoken from their season-long slumber. Ramirez, Lee and Alou continue with hot bats, while Neifi Perez has provided a much needed spark. Sosa hasn't really been terrible either, although only a shadow of what he once was. Instead of just hitting home runs, the Cubs are playing small ball. Quite a transformation from earlier in the year.

3. Mark Prior: Inconsistent through injury and battling every start, but he has looked almost dominant in 2 of his last 3 starts. They'll need him along with Maddux, Zambrano and Wood to keep things close and eat up innings.

4. Health: The Cubs have played virtually one month with near perfect health (minus Borowski, Garciaparra, Farnsworth, Hollandsworth, A. Ramirez) and are finally beginning to understand that they have to win. Health, as with any team, is the key. St. Louis has been blessed with great health until the past week or so while teams like Houston and the Cubs have battled injuries all season.

The playoffs are generally tight games in hostile atmospheres. The cubs though, unlike some other teams, do have the talent 1-25 to run the table if they get hot.

Don't count on it, but don't count it out.

JB98
09-21-2004, 02:16 AM
If the Flubs make the playoffs

WE ARE the doomed ones!!!

never hear the end of it.
You are correct, sir.

But don't worry. The posters of WSI assured me a couple weeks ago that the Cubs are DONE.

balke
09-21-2004, 02:45 AM
You are correct, sir.

But don't worry. The posters of WSI assured me a couple weeks ago that the Cubs are DONE.
:chickenlittle

balke
09-21-2004, 02:49 AM
BTW, this thread sucks.

:barrybonds
"I got things under control".

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-21-2004, 09:33 AM
the cubs are going NOWHERE do you hear me? NOWHERE! MAHAHA!
anywho its a lose-lose situation coming up because 1. The cubs have a really easy scedule (however you spell it) and 2. Because Frisco is playing Houston..who's to win those games? I guess Frisco but houston is close behind... so thats really not too good. :(:

Like i always say...
http://owensborocatholic.org/cotton/BC/Athletics/2003FallSoftballPictures/GoCardinals.jpg

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-21-2004, 09:34 AM
BTW, this thread sucks.

:barrybonds
"I got things under control".oh and BTW..barry bonds cant win the giant's games alone.
i dont know..cubs pitching has looked preety good latley

kittle42
09-21-2004, 11:48 AM
barry bonds cant win the giant's games alone.

Which giant?

Baby Fisk
09-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Which giant?
*snickering*

bc2k
09-21-2004, 03:23 PM
the cubs are going NOWHERE do you hear me? NOWHERE! MAHAHA!
anywho its a lose-lose situation coming up because 1. The cubs have a really easy scedule (however you spell it) and 2. Because Frisco is playing Houston..who's to win those games? I guess Frisco but houston is close behind... so thats really not too good. :(:

Like i always say...
http://owensborocatholic.org/cotton/BC/Athletics/2003FallSoftballPictures/GoCardinals.jpg Assuming the Giants win 2 of 3 against the Astros, the Cubs would have to win 3 of 3 against the Pirates to take the WC lead from the Giants. While the Pirates are pushovers, and the Cubs can easily win 3 of 3, I'm betting (hoping) that the Pirates will be able to win one game against them, allowing the Giants to hold onto their 1/2 game lead.

Josh Fogg is going tonight for the Pirates. Here's hoping he has his best stuff. :gulp:

EDIT: Tuesday's opener: Kerry Wood v Josh Fogg (9-10, 4.82)
Wednesday: Zambrano v LH Oliver Perez (10-8, 3.22)
Thursday: Maddux v John Van Benschoten (1-3, 6.91)

I've never heard of Oliver Perez, but his era and W-L record is promising. Hopefully either he or Fogg can win one game for the Pirates because Van Benschoten's numbers aren't good.

balke
09-21-2004, 03:47 PM
oh and BTW..barry bonds cant win the giant's games alone.
http://www.ruggedelegantliving.com/a/images/barry.bonds.jpg
"Oh lord! Why won't they believe!?"

His OBP is +.600
He's got 36 Strikeouts to his 208 walks.
He has 43 HR's this season.
He's proven speedy enough at 40 to steal 6 bases, hit 27 doubles, and snag a triple.
Every single game, he's going to touch first base a minimum of 2 times.

Barry Bonds, can, has, and will "do it himself". His team was a dropped pop fly from beating the World Series champs last season. With Snow as good as he's been this season, and the ability to produce more runs than the St. Louis Cardinals, they have the ability to get into the playoffs and be very dangerous. And yes, it will be Barry Bonds (MVP and future title holder of greatest player to ever play the game of baseball) who does it.

Before you say anything, Balco or not, you know it's the truth.

kittle42
09-21-2004, 04:33 PM
I've never heard of Oliver Perez, but his era and W-L record is promising.
He's the same Oliver Perez whom the Cubs routed last week.

soxwon
09-21-2004, 05:33 PM
ANY team that finnishes 13-1/2 games out

NO WAY IN HELL deserves to make the playoffs!

am i right or am i RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OEO Magglio
09-21-2004, 05:36 PM
oh and BTW..barry bonds cant win the giant's games alone.
Is that right??? Take Barry Bonds out of that lineup and the giants are down there with the diamondbacks.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Is that right??? Take Barry Bonds out of that lineup and the giants are down there with the diamondbacks.

meh..i dunno. 1 hitter.. barry bonds couldnt face a team alone, obviously, but hes not ther only homer-er

balke
09-21-2004, 09:44 PM
meh..i dunno. 1 hitter.. barry bonds couldnt face a team alone, obviously, but hes not ther only homer-er
You obviously missed the +600 OBP stat.

That's a gigantic handicap when one spot in your lineup will be on base more than he will be out. Bonds is like giving a batter on your team 2 outs everytime he steps up to bat, and having that batter be a +.300 hitter. Forget about it, that team is nothing w/o Bonds.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-21-2004, 09:48 PM
You obviously missed the +600 OBP stat.

That's a gigantic handicap when one spot in your lineup will be on base more than he will be out. Bonds is like giving a batter on your team 2 outs everytime he steps up to bat, and having that batter be a +.300 hitter. Forget about it, that team is nothing w/o Bonds.
OK OK OK Everybody..sheesh! You were right i was wrong. dont get all statistical on me. bonds is the giants. there are you all happy? i said it.

bc2k
09-21-2004, 10:04 PM
EDIT: Tuesday's opener: Kerry Wood v Josh Fogg (9-10, 4.82)
Wednesday: Zambrano v LH Oliver Perez (10-8, 3.22)
Thursday: Maddux v John Van Benschoten (1-3, 6.91)

I've never heard of Oliver Perez, but his era and W-L record is promising. Hopefully either he or Fogg can win one game for the Pirates because Van Benschoten's numbers aren't good.
Cubs won tonight so that leaves us hoping Perez can beat them tomorrow.

MRKARNO
09-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Cubs won tonight so that leaves us hoping Perez can beat them tomorrow.
They stole a win tonight. Hawkins blew the save, but the Pirates didnt score the winning run. They got Alou to K with runner on third 1 out, but then TOrres threw a wild pitch. I guarentee that wouldnt happen in the playoffs. They'll win the Wild Card in all likelihood, but I just cant see them doing well in the playoffs looking like this.

Mohoney
09-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Did anybody see Sosa do the bunny hop and get thrown out at 2nd?

I don't really care that they won, that play alone was worth it to me.

Besides, that lead in the loss column is history anyway.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Just the fact that they will make the playoffs again makes the Sox job and position in the city even more tenuous.
It won't matter if the Cubs go three and out, they got there again.

Lip

OEO Magglio
09-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Just the fact that they will make the playoffs again makes the Sox job and position in the city even more tenuous.

Lip
They did? I must have missed that. :?:

Jjav829
09-22-2004, 12:39 AM

Lip
Lip, who won the World Series? I could make some money here with your insights into the future....

bc2k
09-22-2004, 01:23 AM
They stole a win tonight. Hawkins blew the save, but the Pirates didnt score the winning run. They got Alou to K with runner on third 1 out, but then TOrres threw a wild pitch. I guarentee that wouldnt happen in the playoffs. They'll win the Wild Card in all likelihood, but I just cant see them doing well in the playoffs looking like this.
I agree that the Cubs would get smoked in the playoffs by a more sound baseball team, which is why I'll even settle for a WC tie between SF and the Cubs because San Fran would beat them in a one game playoff.

As Mohoney said, the Cubs and San Fran are tied in the loss column, with San Fran owning one more win. .5 game lead for the Giants.

balke
09-22-2004, 02:13 AM
San Fran just smoked the red hot astros, the cubs almost blew a 4-3 game to the pirates... Noone's a lock yet, and I like the less hyped Giants chances to "sneak" in, even though they should be the favorites, being in the lead and all. They still might catch the Dodgers.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Gang:

My comments were in reply to the poster who stated that it's not a big deal if the Cubs make the playoffs.

His comment was based on the assumption that they were going to. My reply to him was based on his assumption (and probably a good one...)

Lip

JB98
09-22-2004, 05:41 PM
San Fran just smoked the red hot astros, the cubs almost blew a 4-3 game to the pirates... Noone's a lock yet, and I like the less hyped Giants chances to "sneak" in, even though they should be the favorites, being in the lead and all. They still might catch the Dodgers.
They still might catch the Dodgers: That's the rub. The Giants have 11 games left, all against winning teams, including six with the Dodgers. I think 8-3 will be enough to get the Giants past the Cubs, maybe 7-4. But if they play that well, they could knock the Dodgers out of the division lead in the head-to-head matchups. If the Cubs stay hot against these pansy teams, they could then pass the Dodgers and win the wild card. Really, the best scenario is for the Cubs to gag under the pressure. Let's hope that happens.