PDA

View Full Version : Today's lineup: A harbinger of things to come??

juanuribe
09-19-2004, 10:44 PM
C Burke
1B Gload
2B Harris
SS Valdez
3B Uribe
LF Lee
CF Rowand
RF Borchard

Could this be the starting lineup for your 2005 Chicago White Sox? If we spend $$$ on pitching, which is what I expect, today's 8 fielders might get a lot of playing time next year.

Big Frank would be back at DH, and sadly, Paulie Walnuts would be shipped.

I don't know if I like the lineup, but something hit me about it at the game today and I figured I'd post the thought. It's definitely a departure from the base cloggers we usually have, but would it work against a team other than Detroit?

Bring me the head and arm of Carl Pavano and 2 or 3 other solid arms via free agency.

Let the record show, I am not in favor of this lineup, just pointing out an observation.

Dub25
09-19-2004, 10:49 PM
C Burke
1B Gload
2B Harris
SS Valdez
3B Uribe
LF Lee
CF Rowand
RF Borchard

Could this be the starting lineup for your 2005 Chicago White Sox? If we spend $$$ on pitching, which is what I expect, today's 8 fielders might get a lot of playing time next year.

I don't know if I like the lineup, but something hit me about it at the game today and I figured I'd post the thought. It's definitely a departure from the base cloggers we usually have, but would it work against a team other than Detroit?

Bring me the head and arm of Carl Pavano and 2 or 3 other solid arms via free agency.
That is scary and not in a good way. Uribe at 3rd? I think I like him better in the middle of the infield. I hope Paulie is not traded. If he can hit .275 with 40 Hr's I would be more than happy with that. That's power numbers from a position that your supposed to have power numbers from. I don't think Gload would ever come close to that. I do hope they do focus on another stud starter and finding some of these grinders but hopefully not at the expense of trading Paulie.

SoxFan76
09-19-2004, 10:58 PM
C Burke
1B Gload
2B Harris
SS Valdez
3B Uribe
LF Lee
CF Rowand
RF Borchard

That lineup would not score many runs. The Sox will make some moves, I can almost guarantee that. Basically your lineup assumes every backup will start next year.

juanuribe
09-19-2004, 11:01 PM
That lineup would not score many runs. Basically your lineup assumes every backup will start next year.
There would be 4 20 HR+ guys (Uribe, Lee, Rowand, Thomas), and one more who could potentially hit 20 (Gload). Plus 2 speedy guys in Valdez and Harris.

Harris, Uribe, Lee, Rowand, (that's half of the lineup) were all expected to play prominent roles in 2004.

Dub25
09-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Harris, Uribe, Lee, Rowand, (that's half of the lineup) were all expected to play prominent roles in 2004.
3 out of those 4 were solid. I'm still not sure about Harris. He doesn't seem like he would be a good base stealer even if he hit for a higher avg. And that is something Ozzie wants to improve.

A. Cavatica
09-19-2004, 11:34 PM
I don't know why, but the same thought struck me about the lineup. I hope it's not true.

My guesses for the lineup are as follows.

DH: Thomas.
RF: Everett. Unfortunately, he has a player option, and he's not tradeable after this season's performance. He'll make too much to be a reserve.
CF: Rowand.
LF: Lee. 40% chance he's traded instead of Konerko.
OF: Borchard, Escobar. Timo did a good job as a reserve this year, but I have a hunch the Sox will cheap out, the way they did with Graffanino.
3B: TBD. Crede is still tradeable; Sox will let some other team suffer through his "growing pains" and plug in some nondescript veteran. Think Randa, Castilla.
SS: Uribe. Showed enough.
2B: TBD. The Sox should be able to bring in someone better than Valentin with his salary. Neither Valdez and Harris should be a starter.
1B: Gload/TBD platoon. Konerko is about all the Sox have to trade, and his salary hurts, so he'll be traded for a pitcher and a prospect. Sox should be able to find a cheap complement for Gload.
IF: Valdez, Harris. Possibly Robin Ventura as a reserve 3B/1B/PH.
C: Davis/Burke. This is not a good catching tandem, even if they have hit in their stints with Chicago, but KW will once again fail to improve the position.

SP: Garcia, Buehrle, TBD, Contreras, Garland. Sox will not trade Garland.
RP: Not going to make predictions. I think the bullpen may be completely reconstructed.

SoxxoS
09-19-2004, 11:40 PM
That lineup makes me

:chunks

JRIG
09-20-2004, 07:24 AM
This lineup would lose 90 games even if Randy Johnson were on this team. See this year's Diamondbacks.

misty60481
09-20-2004, 09:28 AM
HELLO empty green seats, who wants to spend $ 35 to see that bunch play...

wdelaney72
09-20-2004, 09:36 AM
You have to put Carl in at Right Field. He'll be back on a $4 million player option. All we can do is pray that he shows up next year in shape and ready to play ball - what a concept.

I don't see Willie Harris starting everyday. He has had every chance to prove he can play, and he has disappointed. All the speed in the world and he cant' steal bases.

I would think that one of the infireld positions will be filled by a FA. They need a 3B, SS, and 2B, but they certainly can't address all of those in one off-season.

I'm not as disappointed as most others with that lineup. It won't win the division, but guesss what, the crap they've rolled out there over the last 3 years hasn't either.

gosox41
09-20-2004, 10:49 AM
C Burke
1B Gload
2B Harris
SS Valdez
3B Uribe
LF Lee
CF Rowand
RF Borchard

Let the record show, I am not in favor of this lineup, just pointing out an observation.
I doubt it. KW admitted in Sunday's Trib. that he was looking to fill as many as 5 positions (not including pitcher) for next year.

Bob

Jurr
09-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Hell, this mishmash lineup has been doing alright lately.

kittle42
09-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Hell, this mishmash lineup has been doing alright lately.
:reinsy
"You must all think like Jurr."

daveeym
09-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Is valdez the guy we got from seattle? He's supposed to have some power right? so then wouldn't we potentially have 6 20 homer guys out their with valdez and borchard?

JRIG
09-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Is valdez the guy we got from seattle? He's supposed to have some power right? so then wouldn't we potentially have 6 20 homer guys out their with valdez and borchard?
Valdez is the guy we got from Florida for Koch.

He has less power than Willie Harris.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2004, 12:06 PM

He has less power than Willie Harris.I was watching Valdez at the plate this past weekend and I couldn't figure out who he reminded me of. That banjo bat and terrible hitch in his swing... who did he remind of?

Finally I figured it out.

:flameswing

Don't count on *anything* from Valdez.
:cool:

Jurr
09-20-2004, 12:17 PM
:reinsy
"You must all think like Jurr."
I read this quote a little while ago and I can't stop laughing. You got me on that one. I'm absolutely pi**ing myself right now.
I just meant that things have been a little more exciting watching these kids run all over the place than watching Valentin and Crede strike out like dolts.

Deadguy
09-20-2004, 06:07 PM
C Burke
1B Gload
2B Harris
SS Valdez
3B Uribe
LF Lee
CF Rowand
RF Borchard

:KW
"No need to be alarmed. This is simply Phase 2 of our 10 year rebuilding plan."

OurBitchinMinny
09-20-2004, 06:47 PM
C Burke
1B Gload
2B Harris
SS Valdez
3B Uribe
LF Lee
CF Rowand
RF Borchard

Wow, if that is their lineup, at least 2005 wont be a disappointment, because that team would lose 90-105 games. What a brutal lineup. Ozzie you ****ing suck..Its one thing to get beat by the twins and let them clinch on YOUR HOME FIELD, but its another thing to concede. Why even play the f'ing game? I want ozzie gone. He sucks

OurBitchinMinny
09-20-2004, 06:50 PM

He has less power than Willie Harris.

is that humanly possible? hes at least got to have ozzie-like power

OurBitchinMinny
09-20-2004, 06:51 PM
I read this quote a little while ago and I can't stop laughing. You got me on that one. I'm absolutely pi**ing myself right now.
I just meant that things have been a little more exciting watching these kids run all over the place than watching Valentin and Crede strike out like dolts.
yeah that series at the metrodome left me bursting with pride in this teams effort.

Gosox1917
09-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Wow, if that is their lineup, at least 2005 wont be a disappointment, because that team would lose 90-105 games. What a brutal lineup. Ozzie you ****ing suck..Its one thing to get beat by the twins and let them clinch on YOUR HOME FIELD, but its another thing to concede. Why even play the f'ing game? I want ozzie gone. He sucks
I can understand how the possible line-up next year would make you upset. However, I don't think it's completely Ozzie's fault for the lack-luster style of play. The players conceded and no matter how hard Ozzie probably tried, it's hard to get 30 guys to get up for a game when they're 10+ games back. I don't blame Ozzie, not yet anyway.

Kuzman
09-20-2004, 07:47 PM
i dont even know if i would consider uribe a 20hr threat again next season, he was just real hot in the first half and is playing at the cell this year, now that doesnt mean much when he comes from colorado, but i think he might be this years loaiza... awesome today, hoorible tommorow.. i hope im wrong about that but thats what i think

A. Cavatica
09-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Tonight's lineup against the Twinkies isn't any better.

Harris 2b
Rowand cf
Lee lf
Konerko 1b
Gload dh
Valentin ss
Alomar c
Borchard rf
Crede 3b

That's five nearly-automatic outs in a row, beginning with Valentin.

A. Cavatica
09-21-2004, 08:51 PM
OK, tonight's is the worst one yet: take yours and substitute Davis for Burke, Crede for Uribe, and Perez for Lee!

Harris 2B
Rowand CF
Gload 1B
Konerko DH
Perez LF
Davis C
Borchard RF
Crede 3B
Valdez SS

balke
09-21-2004, 08:56 PM
OK, tonight's is the worst one yet: take yours and substitute Davis for Burke, Crede for Uribe, and Perez for Lee!

Harris 2B
Rowand CF
Gload 1B
Konerko DH
Perez LF
Davis C
Borchard RF
Crede 3B
Valdez SS
I've seen worse. At least Gload isn't in the field. I kinda like this lineup with the players we have, if we are giving Lee a break. Valentin's not playing either, that's always a plus.