PDA

View Full Version : Jay Gibbons

DVsoxfan
09-19-2004, 10:54 AM
There's a story in the Tribune that mentions Jay Gibbons as a possible replacement for Magglio Ordonez. It says that Gibbons will be non-tendered by the Orioles and will look to move him in the offseason. It says he would make a good replacement if the Sox don't offer Magglio a 1-year deal. I know this guy is having a very off year, but he put up some impressive numbers last year. Is there a reason why he's had such a bad season? Or is it just a prolonged slump. I remember watching this guy and he looked good. He's the type of dangerous left-handed bat KW has been after for some time.

balke
09-19-2004, 11:06 AM
There's a story in the Tribune that mentions Jay Gibbons as a possible replacement for Magglio Ordonez. It says that Gibbons will be non-tendered by the Orioles and will look to move him in the offseason. It says he would make a good replacement if the Sox don't offer Magglio a 1-year deal. I know this guy is having a very off year, but he put up some impressive numbers last year. Is there a reason why he's had such a bad season? Or is it just a prolonged slump. I remember watching this guy and he looked good. He's the type of dangerous left-handed bat KW has been after for some time.HAHAHa... whoa. I don't know if I actually posted it or not, but I said I wouldn't mind seeing that guy here if we are playing "small-ball". He's built to crap, great arm, hussles. I was sitting in row 4 of sec 116 during the double header rain delay orioles game, and he made the WICKED sliding grab in foul territory right in front of me. IT was a big hussle play, better than some I've seen Timo come up with, and Timo's had a few in that area.

I think his BA is horrible though, so we'd have to teach him how to hit. Maybe KW "sees something to correct".

hold2dibber
09-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Everett will be the replacement for Ordonez in RF. The only reason they'd need to pick up another starting outfielder was if they were to trade Lee.

Soxzilla
09-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Everett will be the replacement for Ordonez in RF. The only reason they'd need to pick up another starting outfielder was if they were to trade Lee.
Everett needs to get back into shape. We could use another good 4th outfielder though. So that we can have some of the older guys sit (Frank for example) earlier in games where we are blowing teams out.

Tragg
09-19-2004, 11:49 AM
You're probably right, but then the Sox will have shred all pretense of trying to win.

As for Gibbons and small ball, a .314 career OBP does not a small-ball player make.

SEALgep
09-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Everett will be the replacement for Ordonez in RF. The only reason they'd need to pick up another starting outfielder was if they were to trade Lee.I seriously doubt that's the Sox plan right now.

batmanZoSo
09-19-2004, 11:55 AM
You're probably right, but then the Sox will have shred all pretense of trying to win.

As for Gibbons and small ball, a .314 career OBP does not a small-ball player make.

I don't know, how small are we talkin' here?

balke
09-19-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't know, how small are we talkin' here?
I always think of "sucks at hitting, good at defense" when I hear the term small-ball. I'm pretty sure the guy can lay down the bunt as well. So... should be perfect fit. To be fair to the guy he has had a decent season last year, but I wouldn't expect great hitting out of the guy. Maybe that "hairston deal" that's been mentioned would be a part of acquiring gibbons.

munchman33
09-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Gibbons is one of those guys that has always had the ability to hit, but a poor batting eye and a proficiency for taking large hacks has hindered his progress. No thanks, we already have like ten guys like that.

batmanZoSo
09-19-2004, 03:36 PM
I always think of "sucks at hitting, good at defense" when I hear the term small-ball. I'm pretty sure the guy can lay down the bunt as well. So... should be perfect fit. To be fair to the guy he has had a decent season last year, but I wouldn't expect great hitting out of the guy. Maybe that "hairston deal" that's been mentioned would be a part of acquiring gibbons.

In addition to the player you described, I picture guys like Rowand or a Jeremy Reed if he developed. Some speed, good bat control, good defense, settling for singles, doubles hitting, maybe 20 homers at most. What people have to realize is small ball doesn't mean everyone has to be Juan Pierre. The Marlins had basically two guys like that and that pretty much made them a small ball team. And I think the phrase means that you just have that ability, not that it's your only means of success. The Marlins had plenty of power as well. As will we. Just add two guys that execute the small ball game well and we're set.

fuzzy_patters
09-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Just say NO! to Jay Gibbons.

Career stats:
2001 225 AB 15 HR 36 RBI 0 SB .236 AVG .301 OBP .480 SLG .781 OPS
2002 490 28 69 1 .247 .311 .482 .792
2003 625 25 100 0 .277 .330 .456 .786
2004 299 9 44 1 .234 .297 .365 .662

This is a guy with a career high in OBP of .330, SLG of .456, and OPS of .792. That is not adequate production for a corner outfielder. Plus, he has only had more than 600 at bats once, so durability is a concern. The Sox can find someone better than this. The question is, will they?:angry:

soxwon
09-19-2004, 10:02 PM
aaerons in right beltran in center

juanuribe
09-19-2004, 10:05 PM
aaerons in right beltran in center
If you think there's even a REMOTE possibilty Scott Boras will let his client Carlos Beltran sign here, I have some swamp land in Arizona I'm looking to sell cheap.

balke
09-19-2004, 10:28 PM
http://www.baseball-photos.com/sjay13.jpg
"Scraper"
dun dun dun. Like I said, he hustles. I know his stat line, but depending on how cheap we go, having a solid defender like this guy would not hurt us at all.

mdep524
09-19-2004, 11:25 PM
If you think there's even a REMOTE possibilty Scott Boras will let his client Carlos Beltran sign here, I have some swamp land in Arizona I'm looking to sell cheap.
If the White Sox organization offered Carlos Beltran the most money for the most years, he would sign with the Sox, period. The problem is not that Boras won't "let" Beltran sign here, it's that the Sox won't outbid the Yankees, etc. I know that was basically your point, but the way you worded it (and others have frequently as well) made it sound like if the Sox offer more money than Team B, Boras will have sign with Team B no matter what. There's a BIG difference. (This is the agent who had big time superstar Alex Rodriguez sign with the frickin' Texas Rangers solely for the money don't forget.)

dcb33
09-20-2004, 12:06 AM
Everett will be the replacement for Ordonez in RF. The only reason they'd need to pick up another starting outfielder was if they were to trade Lee.Everett as our everyday starting right fielder?
:chunks

As for Carlos Beltran, I really think he's this year's free agent member of the lucky sperm club because someone is really going to overpay for him because of all the hype he has gotten this year. I was watching the 'Stros/Brew Crew game tonight and was really surprised- he's only hitting .258 since joining the Astros and is barely hitting .260 on the year. His defense is solid, but I think it would be a foolish move for any team to pay more for him than what he's making now. Boras will probably get the King's Ransom for him, but frankly, I'll be happy if it isn't the Sox because Rowand's offensive production has been much more impressive (IN THE LIMITED TIME THAT HE'S PLAYED) than Beltran's and his defense is also solid...

hold2dibber
09-20-2004, 07:17 AM
I seriously doubt that's the Sox plan right now.
That the Sox pick up Gibbons or that the Sox trade Lee or that the Sox start Everett in RF? With Lee and Rowand obvious starters in LF and CF respectively, and the Sox almost certainly on the hook to pay $4 million to Everett next year, I find it hard to believe that he won't be starting in RF when the season opens - unless, as I said before, the Sox trade Lee (or Thomas).

soxwon
09-20-2004, 07:05 PM
oh cmon the Yankees cant SIGN everybody?

everyone says yankees will sign em, they cant sign every great one out there.

ill bet we make a great offer to beltran.

Brian26
09-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Jay Gibbons can't fill Magglio's shoes. This franchise is in a lot of trouble.