PDA

View Full Version : Barry Larkin

RKMeibalane
09-18-2004, 02:39 PM
If any of you have been watching the Red Sox-Yankees game on Fox this afternoon, you just heard Thom Brenneman and Tim McCarver talking about Barry Larkin. They mentioned that with the Reds looking to dump payroll, Larkin may be playing somewhere else next season. He had originally said that he was planning to retire at the end of the season, but in light of his making the NL All Star team, Larkin has said recently that he is interested in playing another season.

If the Reds don't re-sign Larkin, it might be worth it for the Sox to go after him. He will be forty one next season, but there's no reason why he can't play 3-4 times a week at shortstop. He would be an upgrade over Valentin out there for sure.

jabrch
09-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Ozzie is only 41 also. Maybe they can platoon at SS?

No - seriously - lets not get a 40 year old SS who is injury prone. There are plenty of FA SS options out there. Lets start with Orlando Cabrerra, Egar Rentiria, etc. and not even think about guys like Larkin. I was a huge Larkin fan - in the late 80s. I think his time has passed.

OEO Magglio
09-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Ozzie is only 41 also. Maybe they can platoon at SS?

No - seriously - lets not get a 40 year old SS who is injury prone. There are plenty of FA SS options out there. Lets start with Orlando Cabrerra, Egar Rentiria, etc. and not even think about guys like Larkin. I was a huge Larkin fan - in the late 80s. I think his time has passed.No thanks for Larkin but I'd absolutely love to get Vizquel even if he's a bit older. I'm not a big fan of Cabrera I think Uribe is a cheaper if not better version of Orlando, jmo.

HaroMaster87
09-18-2004, 04:55 PM
I think shortstop should and will be Uribe's next year...

And now......some Britney!!!!!

:britney

jabrch
09-18-2004, 06:47 PM
I think shortstop should and will be Uribe's next year...

I'm fine with that - provided the money we will save by not getting a more experienced, more proven SS is used to get either a known quality 5th starter or big bat in RF, along with solid bullpen help.

OEO Magglio
09-18-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm fine with that - provided the money we will save by not getting a more experienced, more proven SS is used to get either a known quality 5th starter or big bat in RF, along with solid bullpen help.I want Juan playing fulltime at either 2b, ss, or 3b, I think if the sox can sign vizquel and move uribe to third that would be awesome. I'd love to see the sox sign Omar and Pavano and a bullpen arm in the offseason then reshape the offense a bit more through trades but that's a lot to ask for.

mdep524
09-18-2004, 08:55 PM
I want Juan playing fulltime at either 2b, ss, or 3b, I think if the sox can sign vizquel and move uribe to third that would be awesome. I'd love to see the sox sign Omar and Pavano and a bullpen arm in the offseason then reshape the offense a bit more through trades but that's a lot to ask for.
No it's not.

Considering how dismal this team is, that is NOT a lot to ask for at all. In fact anything less than that might be considered a disappointing offseason. Is it a lot to expect?....well that's a different story! :tongue: