View Full Version : trade pauly?

soxwon
09-18-2004, 12:57 AM
yes or no will we trade him?
what can we get for him pitching wise?
or is his conrtract too big?

SOXSINCE'70
09-18-2004, 10:13 AM
I have gone back and forth on this all year,and have finally come to this conclusion:don't trade Konerko.If the only alternative you have to PK is
Ross Gload,it won't work.Gload has done a great job off the bench.His left handed bat is something this Sox offense needs.Could he sub for Paulie for a month and a half if an injury occured?? Yes.Is he an everyday first baseman?
No.Not enough power.You can talk about manufacturing runs all you want,but someone's gonna have to go over the wall and "put it on the board".
That job falls to Thomas,Konerko and Lee in 2005.A left handed bat in the middle of it all would help.My dad rooted for several "go-go Sox" teams in the 50's and 60's.Times have changed.You can't win blooping and bunting all the time.You have to have extra base hits somewhere in the lineup to succeed in baseball.That's why if the Red Sawx met the Twinkies in the ALCS,i'd take the Red Sawx.More power,but also the guys at the top of the lineup reach base,making the jobs of Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz a lot easier (even if Ortiz is battling a shoulder injury that has put him in an offensive funk).

JB98
09-18-2004, 11:57 AM
I have gone back and forth on this all year,and have finally come to this conclusion:don't trade Konerko.If the only alternative you have to PK is
Ross Gload,it won't work.Gload has done a great job off the bench.His left handed bat is something this Sox offense needs.Could he sub for Paulie for a month and a half if an injury occured?? Yes.Is he an everyday first baseman?
No.Not enough power.You can talk about manufacturing runs all you want,but someone's gonna have to go over the wall and "put it on the board".
That job falls to Thomas,Konerko and Lee in 2005.A left handed bat in the middle of it all would help.My dad rooted for several "go-go Sox" teams in the 50's and 60's.Times have changed.You can't win blooping and bunting all the time.You have to have extra base hits somewhere in the lineup to succeed in baseball.That's why if the Red Sawx met the Twinkies in the ALCS,i'd take the Red Sawx.More power,but also the guys at the top of the lineup reach base,making the jobs of Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz a lot easier (even if Ortiz is battling a shoulder injury that has put him in an offensive funk).
I agree wholeheartedly. We've struggled so badly on offense this year that I don't see how we can afford to subtract Konerko's run production from the lineup. If we do trade him, we better get AT LEAST two PROVEN major league players in return. I don't want prospects in exchange for a man who is going to hit 40 HRs this year.

We have so many holes in our lineup to address. We have Konerko, Rowand and Lee as our only three non-question marks. I also think Uribe can be a starter somewhere in the infield next year. I'm not sure where, because it depends on which other infield positions we could fill through free agency. They have to find a RF and a C, make a decision on Crede, find at least one middle infielder and rebuild the bullpen. There's a lot of work that needs to be done. We're really not that close to being a championship team.

cornball
09-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Q: Do you trade PK?

A: Depends what you get for him. Last year at this time his name was mud around here, what a difference a year makes huh?

The money is not as much of an issue because there is only one year remaining.

I agree you need power hitters on all corners of the field and would not trade him without an improvement to the team. Gload is not an exceptable full time replacement.

The issue comes up all the time because of the salary he makes (8MM) and the budget the team imposes on itself.

I believe the team will look for more speed in the outfield, ala the Twins and Indians with an upgrade to the staff and SS for 2005. At this point all players are available depending on the return.

A. Cavatica
09-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Absolutely, trade him.

He just had his career year, and he's not a cornerstone type of player. For a team that's going to be finishing well below .500 for the next several seasons, he's just an expensive hood ornament. He's exactly the type of player you should try to unload to a real contender for good prospects.

WinningUgly!
09-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Absolutely, trade him.

He just had his career year, and he's not a cornerstone type of player. For a team that's going to be finishing well below .500 for the next several seasons, he's just an expensive hood ornament. He's exactly the type of player you should try to unload to a real contender for good prospects.
Ding, ding, ding!

I love Paulee, but I totally agree with what's above.

MRKARNO
09-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Absolutely, trade him.

I like Konerko a lot too, but we just dont have a lot to be hopeful about. We need to trade him for some prospects because I doubt we're going to do a lot of damage in 2005, the only remaining year he's under contract. Maybe we can find a team who'd normally be in the market for Delgado, but is looking for a little less production for a lot less money.

Likely Contending teams without world-beating firstbasemen: Yankees, Braves, Dodgers and Giants, but who knows? Maybe a .500ish team will want him thinking they're on the verge of something.

munchman33
09-19-2004, 07:36 AM
I like Konerko a lot too, but we just dont have a lot to be hopeful about. We need to trade him for some prospects because I doubt we're going to do a lot of damage in 2005, the only remaining year he's under contract. Maybe we can find a team who'd normally be in the market for Delgado, but is looking for a little less production for a lot less money.

Likely Contending teams without world-beating firstbasemen: Yankees, Braves, Dodgers and Giants, but who knows? Maybe a .500ish team will want him thinking they're on the verge of something.
I don't think things are as dire as you say they are, and I completely expect a much healthier, older team next year to at the very least contend. Don't forget Frank, and his production, will be back next year. This year more than anything showed us how important he was to the lineup. Even when he wasn't hitting, he was getting on base at a clip that only Bonds could match. And hitting with men on base makes it a lot easier for the guys after him, as the pressures on the pitcher.

As for Konerko, I say ship him out. He most certainly had a career year. I don't care if its a staight up salary dump, the money could be better spent. Wouldn't mind seeing Russ Ortiz as the fifth starter next year, but Kenny will have to dump a big salary to make that happen.

39thandWallace
09-20-2004, 02:44 AM
I think we should start over and build a team Ozzie can win with. Dump the sluggers like Konerko and build a solid defensive team along with acquiring a solid pitching staff that I believe is the foundation for a winning team.

mdep524
09-20-2004, 10:32 AM
I don't think things are as dire as you say they are, and I completely expect a much healthier, older team next year to at the very least contend. Don't forget Frank, and his production, will be back next year. This year more than anything showed us how important he was to the lineup. Even when he wasn't hitting, he was getting on base at a clip that only Bonds could match. And hitting with men on base makes it a lot easier for the guys after him, as the pressures on the pitcher.

As for Konerko, I say ship him out. He most certainly had a career year. I don't care if its a staight up salary dump, the money could be better spent. Wouldn't mind seeing Russ Ortiz as the fifth starter next year, but Kenny will have to dump a big salary to make that happen.
If we're depending on a full season of monster production out of Big Frank next season, we're in big trouble. At this point in his career, considering how injury prone he is and how long it takes him to get into a groove after missing a season due to injury, we shouldn't expect him to carry this offense in '05. I am looking forward to watching him play again, as he is one of my favorite players, but expecting him to play a full season is probably very unrealistic.

Baby Fisk
09-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Absolutely, trade him.

He just had his career year, and he's not a cornerstone type of player. For a team that's going to be finishing well below .500 for the next several seasons, he's just an expensive hood ornament. He's exactly the type of player you should try to unload to a real contender for good prospects.Dunno why this thread is in the Talking Baseball pages, but I want to speak to the Konerko debate here.

1) USCF has morphed into a bandbox and this team needs sluggers to succeed, considering the possible (imminent?) departure of Ordonez and the fact that Frank Thomas can't do it alone. Look at the ERA of our rotation -- it's going to take runs-a-go-go to win in that park, not just pitching. We can sign up 9 Gold Glovers to take the field for us, but what good is that if we spend the entire year looking at the numbers on their backs as balls sail out of the park?

2) To take up the "hood ornament" argument -- I actually favour having a couple of "hood ornaments" on this team. Who do kids and casual fans tend to attach themselves to? Finesse pitchers? Hit and run men? No. To borrow an overused phrase: "CHICKS DIG THE LONGBALL". Paulie has become only the 3rd Sox player in team history to hit over 40 dingers in a season -- he's surpassed the best seasons of Carlton Fisk, Bill Melton, Ron Kittle, Harold Baines, Dick Allen, etc. Notice how fondly these HR hitting players are remembered by Sox fans? We need to hang on to Konerko, not trade him away -- especially if Chevy pitchman and sometime right fielder Magglio Ordonez departs.

IMPACT
09-23-2004, 02:14 PM
yes or no will we trade him?
what can we get for him pitching wise?
or is his conrtract too big?
Konerko has been too inconsistent over his tenure to warrant it absolutely necessary to keep him around. While he has put up a very, very good season this year, the organization has to look beyond that and pursue other options, in my opinion.

Then again, I think they'd be better served by going young, slashing payroll and adding pieces around the young players.

Baby Fisk
09-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Then again, I think they'd be better served by going young, slashing payroll and adding pieces around the young players.Slashing payroll. So THAT'S what they've been doing wrong... :rolleyes:

It's time for this...
:troll

California Sox
09-23-2004, 02:41 PM
As always, "depends what you can get for him." Which, actually, I doubt is much. These days almost every general manager expects to give up very little when they add payroll (see the Cubs and Ramirez). We're one of the few teams that still gives up real legitimate talent and adds payroll in the same deal. There are some teams that could use PK (the Orioles, Giants, and D.C. Expos come to mind) but slugging first basemen are not that hard to find. Maybe we can trade him to Seattle for Jeremy Reed. :(: