PDA

View Full Version : Chances of Next Sox GM Being LaRussa

Wealz
09-17-2004, 07:16 PM
The thought crossed my mind today when I saw a story that LaRussa had put contract extension talks on hold until after this season. He has a two-year deal on the table from Cardinals management.

As I've written before I think the Sox are on the brink of some very difficult times and Reinsdorf would be forced to bring credibility to his operation if that were the case. If LaRussa signs with the Cardinals through 2006 and the Sox struggle for the next couple of years I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Reinsdorf offered LaRussa the GM's job for the 2007 season. The one thing we know about Reinsdorf's management style is that eventually he brings back his favorite people.

batmanZoSo
09-17-2004, 07:28 PM
The thought crossed my mind today when I saw a story that LaRussa had put contract extension talks on hold until after this season. He has a two-year deal on the table from Cardinals management.

As I've written before I think the Sox are on the brink of some very difficult times and Reinsdorf would be forced to bring credibility to his operation if that were the case. If LaRussa signs with the Cardinals through 2006 and the Sox struggle for the next couple of years I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Reinsdorf offered LaRussa the GM's job for the 2007 season. The one thing we know about Reinsdorf's management style is that eventually he brings back his favorite people.

Yeah but didn't Hawk fire LaRussa originally?

:hawk
'tseither him or me. Take yer pic.

Meixner007
09-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Yeah but didn't Hawk fire LaRussa originally?

Didn't hawk say that him firing Tony was his worst mistatke as GM? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

doublem23
09-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Don't Jerry and Tony hate each other?

:reinsy
I burn bridges just like the Norman barbarians of yesteryear.

Brian26
09-17-2004, 07:52 PM

I think there's a mutual respect there. I think Jerry and Fisk are the sworn blood enemies you're thinking of.

Wealz
09-17-2004, 07:52 PM

:reinsy
I burn bridges just like the Norman barbarians of yesteryear.
To the contrary. They're best of friends.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Two points:

1. Hawk did fire LaRussa however the move was approved by Reinsdorf who has since admitted that it was the worst move he ever made as Sox owner (and the list of bad moves by him is as long as your arm!)

2. Here's some historical quotes to help those remember the time period:

"You guys are doing a terrible thing to Tony LaRussa." Jerry Reinsdorf to Mark Giangreco of WMAQ-TV, early May 1986. Giangreco was reporting on the on- going question of if the Sox would fire him as manager. A question the Sox had been denying even though Ken Harrelson was openly negotiating with Billy Martin at the time. From the book Through Hope And Despair. By Dan Helpingstein. Pg. 150.

Lip

beckett21
09-18-2004, 05:23 PM
The Sox don't deserve to get LaRussa back, not with this ownership regime.

I was in my teens when he was fired, but I vividly remember thinking what a travesty it was. He was run out of town on a rail, and Hawk fiddled away while Soxdom burned to the ground.

I have always held tremendous respect for LaRussa, and it was a sad day when he was fired. Personally I would welcome him back with open arms, but there is no concieviable reason to me why he would entertain the thought of coming back to this three-ring circus. I would tell JR to go suck an egg. (Actually I would probably say something much worse, but this is a family board! :redneck )

jabrch
09-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Since there are no signs anywhere that KW is bieng fired, this qualifies as a fairly pointless thread.

Wealz
09-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Since there are no signs anywhere that KW is bieng fired, this qualifies as a fairly pointless thread.
Have you seen the way they've played since the All-Star break and how poorly his "free agent" acquisition Contreras has pitched recently? There are your signs. I don't think he'll be gone after this season, but if they finish with 85 losses or so Reinsdorf may have no other choice but to shake things up especially if the Cubs make the playoffs again.

mdep524
09-18-2004, 09:15 PM
I gotta say, the more I see this thread the more I would really like this idea to magically somehow come to fruition. Unfortunately, JR doesn't really evaluate his employees based on any kind of "performance" or "success" rate, so no matter how badly KW does, (and I'm saying he will necessarily fail in the next year or two) I doubt he will be in danger of losing his job any time soon.

Still, LaRussa is exactly the kind of guy I would love to see running the show. Steve Stone is another great baseball mind that I would love to see the Sox somehow work into their organization. Stone, LaRussa, Piniella, Mazzone, Cox, Schuerholtz... these are the kind of smart baseball minds you like to accumulate in your organization.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Ken Williams may resign but he won't be fired. Firing him is an admission that ownership was wrong. This ownership has a tremendous ego, therefore they will not allow themselves to be put in that position.

As long as Uncle Jerry owns the club, Williams will be the G.M. if he wants it.

Lip

Wealz
09-18-2004, 11:04 PM

Lip
I thought that Williams would have the job as long as he wanted too Lip until Reinsdorf pushed Krause out the door a couple of years ago. I do agree that Williams won't be fired, he'll "resign" a la Krause.

jabrch
09-19-2004, 01:57 AM
Ken Williams may resign but he won't be fired. Firing him is an admission that ownership was wrong. This ownership has a tremendous ego, therefore they will not allow themselves to be put in that position.

Lip
We know KW's ego. He isn't resigning any time soon.

doublem23
09-19-2004, 11:47 AM
To the contrary. They're best of friends.
All right. I didn't know, but I thought I had heard that there was bad blood between the two. Jerry has so many baseball-world enemies, it is sometimes hard to keep track.