PDA

View Full Version : The Twins will win the World Series

Jurr
09-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Am I saying this because they beat the White Sox this season? No. Baseball teams like the Twins have this year are built for October. Why they will win it all:

1. Pitching, of course. Johan Santana is untouchable. We know that well. So does everyone else in baseball this season. Combine him with Brad Radke, who's another guy that can keep the Twins in a game, and you've got something. As far as bullpens go, I think that the Twins have just enough to get it done, especially having Joe Nathan at the back end. Dangerous.

2. The "little things".....yeah, the Sox have royally sucked this year at execution, but nobody in baseball does the little things to piss you off quite as well as the Twins do. Reminds me alot of the 1993 Blue Jays, when Robbie Alomar and Devon White (and Henderson) got on base, stole bases, and kept themselves active and in games.

3. Peaking at the right time. The Twins are officially peaking. And, on top of that, teams like Boston and New York are beating each others' brains out and sapping themselves emotionally. St. Louis has been in front so long that they're not playing with the same focus as they did earlier (see 2000 White Sox). The teams recently that have won it all started peaking in September and carried it to the ring.

With that, I declare the Twins world series champs. It's been a while since we've seen a Central team win the thing...this is the year.

PorkChopExpress
09-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Interesting thoughts. I do agree that Santana is awesome, but I would love to see how he fares against that vicious St. Louis lineup, that is if they are not sleeping from boredom of being in front for so long.

fquaye149
09-17-2004, 02:47 PM
the twins won't beat the yankees, much less the red sox. the red sox will beat the cards in the world series. just my prediction. sorry but radke just doesn't do it for me beyond santana. also i really don't think joe nathan is a playoffs closer despite his numbers. they are a little misleading. but what do i know?

Skorch
09-17-2004, 02:49 PM
I just ordered a strip of tickets. We'll see...

MRKARNO
09-17-2004, 02:52 PM
I will be quite surprised if the Red Sox dont win the AL

Kilroy
09-17-2004, 03:37 PM
...The Twins are officially peaking... Why do you say that? Beating the hell out of our sorry asses doesn't mean they are peaking, it means we are sucking.

OEO Magglio
09-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Am I saying this because they beat the White Sox this season? No. Baseball teams like the Twins have this year are built for October. Why they will win it all:

1. Pitching, of course. Johan Santana is untouchable. We know that well. So does everyone else in baseball this season. Combine him with Brad Radke, who's another guy that can keep the Twins in a game, and you've got something. As far as bullpens go, I think that the Twins have just enough to get it done, especially having Joe Nathan at the back end. Dangerous.

2. The "little things".....yeah, the Sox have royally sucked this year at execution, but nobody in baseball does the little things to piss you off quite as well as the Twins do. Reminds me alot of the 1993 Blue Jays, when Robbie Alomar and Devon White (and Henderson) got on base, stole bases, and kept themselves active and in games.

3. Peaking at the right time. The Twins are officially peaking. And, on top of that, teams like Boston and New York are beating each others' brains out and sapping themselves emotionally. St. Louis has been in front so long that they're not playing with the same focus as they did earlier (see 2000 White Sox). The teams recently that have won it all started peaking in September and carried it to the ring.

With that, I declare the Twins world series champs. It's been a while since we've seen a Central team win the thing...this is the year.I believe the twins will beat the yankees but lose to the bosox in the alcs.

Foulke You
09-17-2004, 04:05 PM
I believe the twins will beat the yankees but lose to the bosox in the alcs.
I can see a Twins/Red Sox series going 7 games. Santana/Radke vs Pedro/Schilling means their 1 and 2 pitchers are pretty even with a slight edge possibly to Boston. One key thing to remember is the Twins will have home field advantage if the Red Sox get in as a Wild Card. Game 7 will be at a sold out Hump Dome which I would say gives the edge to Minnesota. I hope I'm wrong because the thought of Torii Hunter and Jacque Jones in the World Series turns my stomach. However, I won't let my hatred of those clowns blind me to the fact that the Twins have been arguably the best team in the AL recently.

It really will be an interesting post season this year. Let us hope it is a Cubs free post season to boot.

Baby Fisk
09-17-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm so conflicted. I hate all these teams. :unsure:

This will be the post-season from hell.

OurBitchinMinny
09-17-2004, 05:18 PM
The twins will not win the WS or their first round. One consistent pitcher is not enough. Radke is like buerhle he is either really good or he can be really bad (although hes more conisistently good than buerhle). Silva is the #3? Weak. And their lineup. just because they have beat the **** out of our heartless team and the rest of this ****ty division doesnt mean a thing. They will fail when they play real baseball teams.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2004, 05:45 PM
In a word... No.

Little pitching depth.

Lip

BlackAndWhite
09-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Silva is the #3? Weak. This is a vary casual look at the numbers of supposed number 3 starters (i've listed two in some cases)

W L K/BB ERA

New York Yankees (2 and 3 starters)
Javier Vázquez 14 9 139/53 4.75
Mike Mussina 11 9 115/31 4.76

Boston Redsox (3 and 4 starters)
Derek Lowe 14 11 98/64 4.91
Broson Arroyo 9 9 127/43 4.04
Wakefield 11 9 103/54 4.72

Oakland (3 and 4 starters)
Barry Zito 11 10 146/74 4.44
Rich Harden 9 6 146/75 4.05

Angels (3 and 4 starters)
John Lackey 12 12 127/53 4.67
Aaron Sele 8 3 47/46 5.01

Texas
Chan Ho Park 3 5 52/25 5.72

Minnesota
Carlos Silva 12 8 73/31 4.33

I don't know about you guys, but it looks like Silva has better numbers than any of these other guys with the exception of Harden (and maybe Zito). A few household names have worse numbers than Silva. I think the Twins stack up quite nicely against these guys.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2004, 06:00 PM
You only need 2 starting pitchers in the playoffs. Santana and Radke are pretty damned good.

The Twins will do fine vs. their competition's starters.

balke
09-17-2004, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Pedro Martinez, Curt Schilling, Kevin Brown, Mike Mussina, Mark Mulder, or Barry Zito "show up" in the playoffs. They are all matches for Santana-Radke. I think we'll see that "small ball" doesn't go as far as it did in last year's playoffs. Not that it worked in the A.L. last season anyways.

Santana is great, probably the Cy young winner. He's not the only great pitcher in the playoffs. The playoffs are a time of concentrated skill, and peak performance. Players like Jeter A-rod Sheffield Posada, these are hitters that can hit anyone in the playoffs, because they have what it takes.

I don't see the Twins getting the AL title. I unfortunately think the Yanks are going to roll right through, with an amazing series against Boston.

If you said twinks will get there, there's a shot. Will they beat the likes of St. Louis, or the Dodgers? I doubt it.

bigfoot
09-17-2004, 07:34 PM
World Series!? Not even the 1st round! Only hope the Twinks have is if rain postpones the 2nd game for three days. Radke=Mussina, without the stuff!

Kuzman
09-17-2004, 11:48 PM
:threadsucks.

JB98
09-18-2004, 12:47 AM
I think the Twins have an outside shot. They have Santana and Radke, and they have a deep bullpen. Ultimately, their weak offense is probably going to cost them. They are 10th in the league in runs, 13th in OBP and 13th in total pitches seen. They might look like world-beaters against some of the crappy pitching the Sox trot out there, but overall, I don't think they have the firepower to match any of the teams they'll face in the playoffs. Contrary to popular belief on this board, the Twins are not a team you want to emulate offensively.

Gosox1917
09-18-2004, 12:59 AM
As always $$$ will win the World Series. It happened in '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, and again in '04. The Twins do the little things to win close to 90 games in the reg. season but they don't have the big hitters or the big pitchers to beat a team like the yanks or red sox...if they play the A's then it will be an interesting series. But once they have to play the yanks or red sox it's over for the twinkies.

JB98
09-18-2004, 12:59 PM
As always $$$ will win the World Series. It happened in '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, and again in '04. The Twins do the little things to win close to 90 games in the reg. season but they don't have the big hitters or the big pitchers to beat a team like the yanks or red sox...if they play the A's then it will be an interesting series. But once they have to play the yanks or red sox it's over for the twinkies.
I think they have a shot at the Yanks, because you never know when New York's starting pitching will implode. No way Minnesota beats Boston, though. I'd agree with that.

balke
09-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Not to be a smart a**... but the Twinks don't look so hot without thier 2 studs. :D:

ooh man, annoying, but had to be said. Maybe we'll see a battle of the B teams here at the cell.

ma-gaga
09-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Whatever. They have just as good of a shot as the other 4 teams in the AL of making the WS, and likely a 50-50 shot at the WS* if they make it that far.

I'd say the Twins have a 60% shot at beating the MFY, 50% of beating the Red Sox, and a 45% shot at beating the A's. That's mainly based on the way they've played them this year, and the way the pitching rotations match up heading into the post-season. There's no way the Yankees get past the first round this year. They simply don't have the pitching.

* If the Cardinals' advance to the WS, they easily have the best shot of winning it all, probably a 60% shot of winning any series that they are in. Any other team in the NL isn't nearly as dominant.

So, I'd give the Twins a good 12.5% shot of winning it all this year. They are certainly balanced enough, and have the front line pitching to win it all. It's a matter of scratching 3 runs off against Pedro or Mussina that will tell the end of their story.

:gulp:

MRKARNO
09-18-2004, 06:25 PM
So, I'd give the Twins a good 12.5% shot of winning it all this year.

What a really risky projection!

ma-gaga
09-18-2004, 06:44 PM
What a really risky projection!I know.

Ok, here's the math:
Twins vs Boston : 0.50
Twins vs A's: 0.45
Twins vs Cards: 0.40
Twins chances = 0.50 * 0.45 * 0.40 = 9% shot, worst case scenario.

Twins vs MFY: 0.60
Twins vs Boston: 0.50
Twins vs Atlanta: 0.50
Twins chances = 0.60 * 0.50 * 0.50 = 15% shot, best case scenario.

Obviously though, the Twins "own" the Yankees based on their 2-1 record this year, and "own" the Red Sox based on their 4-2 record against them this year, and they "own" the NL based on their 11-7 record against them this year. Making it a: 0.67 * 0.67 * 0.61 = 27.4% shot - Uber best case scenario...

:)

JB98
09-18-2004, 07:29 PM
I know.

Ok, here's the math:
Twins vs Boston : 0.50
Twins vs A's: 0.45
Twins vs Cards: 0.40
Twins chances = 0.50 * 0.45 * 0.40 = 9% shot, worst case scenario.

Twins vs MFY: 0.60
Twins vs Boston: 0.50
Twins vs Atlanta: 0.50
Twins chances = 0.60 * 0.50 * 0.50 = 15% shot, best case scenario.

Obviously though, the Twins "own" the Yankees based on their 2-1 record this year, and "own" the Red Sox based on their 4-2 record against them this year, and they "own" the NL based on their 11-7 record against them this year. Making it a: 0.67 * 0.67 * 0.61 = 27.4% shot - Uber best case scenario...

:)

Didn't the Twins play the Red Sox early in the year when Boston was struggling though? Despite their loss today, I just think the Red Sox are a different team now than they were in June.

ma-gaga
09-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Didn't the Twins play the Red Sox early in the year when Boston was struggling though? Despite their loss today, I just think the Red Sox are a different team now than they were in June.
You mean the July 30 to August 1 games don't count? Boston's been on a tear recently, but their schedule has softened considerably after that August 1st date. You'll notice that the national writers use the "since August 2nd, the Red Sox have been on a 32-11 run", or something like that. There's a reason why they do that. Their schedule was soft.

The Twins were lucky, they had Santana and Radke up against Boston in 2 of those 3 games, and they didn't have to beat Schilling. But a win is a win.

:gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
09-19-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm so conflicted. I hate all these teams. :unsure:

This will be the post-season from hell.
Only until the crybaby sCrUBbieS are gone.
Then,it's celebration time!!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Fenway
09-19-2004, 08:12 PM
OK based on what happened in the Bronx the past 2 days I have to assume the Red Sox are the WC and will play Minnesota in the ALDS

Honest question

How good are they?

balke
09-19-2004, 08:22 PM
OK based on what happened in the Bronx the past 2 days I have to assume the Red Sox are the WC and will play Minnesota in the ALDS

Honest question

How good are they?
The Bosox have Pedro Martinez, Derek Lowe, and Curt Schilling. They have Manram, Ortiz, and a green monster for home games.

The Twinks have injury problems and stalled momentum going into the playoffs. They play small ball, and will be hanging thier hopes on the backs of Radke-Santana, and jekyl/hyde 3 spot. I think the BOSOX easily destroy the twins in bean-town. I think the Twins will destroy B-town in Minni, with Man-ram in the field.

Advantage Minnesota. End result, Bosox win. Why? Schilling/Foulke.

OEO Magglio
09-19-2004, 08:41 PM

Honest question

How good are they?
That's going to be a good series imo. Right now I dont even think Schilling can beat Santana, the twins have a definite homefield advantage. Both teams have very good bullpens, bosox obviously have the better offense, however I like the way the twins o is set up for the playoffs. If I had to make a prediction for that series I'd say bosox in 5 games.

ma-gaga
09-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Honest question

How good are they?You're looking for a scouting report on the Twins?

Two stud starting pitchers. Top 5 in the AL. After that the starting lineup is questionable.
4 stud relief pitchers.
1 stud power hitter in Morneau.
3 - #9 hitters in Guzman/Rivas/Blanco.
The rest vary from good power, to good OBP, to good average. A well rounded offensive team really. Not reliant on one player's offense.
Solid defense up the middle and at the corners. Their fielding doesn't have a weakness (even their slugging first baseman looks decent).
Ford/Hunter/J.Jones is probably the best defensive outfield in the AL.
Scrappy enough to run over catchers.
Stupid enough not to quit.
Good bench. Probably best in the AL.
By god, the backup utility infielder practiced his proposal to his fiance on one of his teammates. The lowest ranking bullpen pitcher has to carry around a Barbie backpack. They have chemistry...

Anyways, Minnesota vs Boston is going to be an even series crap shoot. I think Minny's playoff starting pitching is slightly better, Boston's hitting is better, Minny's bullpen is better. Minny's defense is better. It's going to probably come down to a game 5, and someone like Mientkiewicz will probably win the game with a extra inning homerun, or Guzman chopping a ball off the plate over a drawn in infield...

But the Twins have problems. They have an aversion to scoring runs. L.Rivas is an automatic out. Blanco has one good game for every four '0 fers'. Koskie is a walking injury. J.Jones and T.Hunter swing at pitches in the dirt. Lew Ford and Shannon Stewart are both "good" hitters. Morneau is their secret weapon. He's a masher.

Pitching wise, they are letting some of their kids play now. I wouldn't take too much comfort or put too much emphasis on JD Durbin's September stats. After Radke/Santana there is a drop off. Silva can pitch on occasion and Mullholland can pitch on occasion. Lohse can shut down the KC Royals.

Anyways, what honestly is the scouting report on the Red Sox?

Lem_Siddons
09-20-2004, 10:51 PM
I am rooting for Minny to win it all. Nothing will destroy them as completely as a WS win. Egos, salaries, etc.

minastirith67
09-20-2004, 11:50 PM
I am rooting for Minny to win it all. Nothing will destroy them as completely as a WS win. Egos, salaries, etc.

Don't really care but for the most part I hate Minnesota teams. I really enjoy the quality of play from Santana and Radke, though.