PDA

View Full Version : Ozzieball

E Coast Sox Fan
09-17-2004, 02:30 PM
In order to play Ozzieball, it seems to me that we're in the market to upgrade team speed and OBP (especially in the 1 and 2 spots, but overall as well). Here's my best guess of what Kenny is looking to do in the offseason (see below). Any other thoughts?

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Konerko, Crede, Borchard and Valentin will not be wearing a Sox uniform next season. Depending on the cost of keeping Magglio, I could see where they might let him go as well. I bet they make a run at Nomar and a serious run at Renteria.

Here's the worst case, but very possible line-up that I see.

C - Ben Davis
1B - Ross Gload
2B - Willie Harris
SS - Renteria (or someone they sign or trade for)
3B - Uribe
RF - Crazy Carl Everett
CF - Rowand
LF - Carlos Lee
DH - Big Frank

If the line-up looks this way, in theory we still have some cash to spend so I'd bet they attempt to do two of these three:

1) Upgrade our pitching (by signing another starter or possibly a closer).
2) Upgrade at 2B or 3B in which case (or both depending on $). In which case, Uribe may move around to play 2b or 3b depending on the situation. Willie Harris becomes a utility infielder and pitch runner.

or less likely

3) We may be in the market for a true CF, which moves Rowand to RF -- in which case Crazy Carl or Big Frank plays 1B and the other will DH). This is only if Mags doesn't resign.

Tekijawa
09-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Judging by the aquisitions they made this year what makes you think that's what Ozzie ball is? if anything we've gotten older and slower?!?!? Ozzie really doesn't seem to mind people who can't play defense (Gload over a basket placed in the of and Alomar (when he was healthy) over Harris.... He also seems to like the guys that stirke out too much... Crede (i'm begining to think I was wrong abou thim) Borchard, Valentin and we keep double play Paulie in the clean up spot?!?!? granted his 30+ homers is nice there but those 22 DP's kill in that spot let Rowand bat 4th!!!

I don't know why we assume that Speed, defense and youth is what Ozzie ball is, because from what I've seen it appears to be completely the oposite!

duke of dorwood
09-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Stick Ozzieball where you sit, please

When he shows he can manage at all, then he can have a "style' named after him.

He is not good.

LVSoxFan
09-17-2004, 05:04 PM
In order to play Ozzieball, it seems to me that we're in the market to upgrade team speed and OBP (especially in the 1 and 2 spots, but overall as well). Here's my best guess of what Kenny is looking to do in the offseason (see below). Any other thoughts?

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Konerko, Crede, Borchard and Valentin will not be wearing a Sox uniform next season. Depending on the cost of keeping Magglio, I could see where they might let him go as well. I bet they make a run at Nomar and a serious run at Renteria.

C - Ben Davis
1B - Ross Gload
2B - Willie Harris
3B - Uribe
RF - Crazy Carl Everett
CF - Rowand
LF - Carlos Lee
DH - Big Frank

If the line-up looks this way, in theory we still have some cash to spend so I'd bet they attempt to do two of these three:

2) Upgrade at 2B or 3B in which case (or both depending on $). In which case, Uribe may move around to play 2b or 3b depending on the situation. Willie Harris becomes a utility infielder and pitch runner.

or less likely

3) We may be in the market for a true CF, which moves Rowand to RF -- in which case Crazy Carl or Big Frank plays 1B and the other will DH). This is only if Mags doesn't resign.

I think you're right on, except for Everett. We'll see.

hold2dibber
09-17-2004, 05:43 PM

C - Ben Davis
1B - Ross Gload
2B - Willie Harris
3B - Uribe
RF - Crazy Carl Everett
CF - Rowand
LF - Carlos Lee
DH - Big Frank

or less likely

If they trade Konerko, Crede and Borchard, don't you think they'd have a position player or two to show for it?