PDA

View Full Version : 21 Years Ago Tonight

Lip Man 1
09-17-2004, 02:02 PM
This Date In Sox History 9/17

Proof that the Sox weren't always a mediocre team...

21 years ago tonight at 10:55 PM Chicago time Harold Baines hit a sacrifice fly knocking in Julio Cruz and giving the Sox the 1983 Western Division Title. It was a 4-3 win over Seattle. Chicago wasn't a Cubs town then.

I watched it on WGN-TV at the TV station in Louisiana right after my sports at 10:20. WGN had requested and received permission to show the 9th inning and the post game celebrations from SportsVision. So the pictures of the Sox winning were beamed nationally.

What a Summer.

Lip

ewokpelts
09-17-2004, 02:04 PM

21 years ago tonight at 10:55 PM Chicago time Harold Baines hit a sacrifice fly knocking in Julio Cruz and giving the Sox the 1983 Western Division Title. It was a 4-3 win over Seattle. Chicago wasn't a Cubs town then.

I watched it on WGN-TV at the TV station in Louisiana right after my sports at 10:20. WGN had requested and received permission to show the 9th inning and the post game celebrations from SportsVision. So the pictures of the Sox winning were beamed nationally.

What a Summer.

LipWell....that certainly didnt want to make me find enough rope to hang myself....
Gene

PorkChopExpress
09-17-2004, 02:42 PM

What a Summer.

Lip
I'm sure we'll see that stat at the game tonight.

ja1022
09-17-2004, 02:46 PM

What a Summer.

Lip

I was there and it was great. I remember the Sox had the lead going to the top of the ninth, and Dennis Lamp was in to close. I don't remember exactly what happened, but we had left our box seats on the Sox side in the top of the inning and Seattle tied the game. Some how we ended up at the railing in left center. I remember just knowing that the Sox would get it done in the bottom of the ninth. Harold was the MAN then, and I can to this day,vividly see Cruz tagging up and running down the line and then jumping on home plate with both arms raised. AWESOME

I also remember the effort by Britt Burns in game four of the ALCS. If the Sox score a run in that game, I believe the the last time the Sox would have won a World Series would have been 1983. Hold two Dibber.

Hangar18
09-17-2004, 03:40 PM
wow, 21 years? I remember that day like it was Yesterday. Lip is right ....
THIS WASNT A CUB TOWN BACK THEN ...... 1982 season started with promise,
and they went out in the Offseason and Filled some of the Holes they had in the lineup, and SPENT MONEY in doing so. We were on our way in 1983.
I was at that game, I was a kid, and almost didnt get to go, I wanted to go badly, but luckily got to go. I was sitting in LeftCenter Field, and when
the Outfielder caught the ball, I knew Julio Cruz was going to be safe ......
I was one of the first people to jump on the field, landing in a huge puddle.
Im told the TV camera had a Center Field shot, looking towards home plate ...
and the ensueing Mob of SOX players. You could then see a little punk Hangar running and jumping in centerfield when I noticed myself on the scoreboard. I remember thinking that these New Owners were really going to change things around here ......... *sighs*

Soxzilla
09-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Hopefully kenny won't hear this at tonites game, otherwise he might try to resign the 1983 team...

:KW

"Don' chu know it! Hell, we already got ole bainsy..."

mike squires
09-17-2004, 04:03 PM
21 one years?! It can't be. That is proof that I'm getting old. I remember vividly sitting on the couch watching juice tag up and listening to Drysdale make the call. I was 10 and I was Julio many times in my back yard making that tag to home. That was a beautiful night. It was a typical Sox win that season. I asked RIchard Dotson if it was true that Luzinski was found on the floor under a table the next morning. He said he hadn't heard that one and asked if we had clinched in California. I said, "WE CLINCHED AT COMISKEY." I was stunned.

mike squires
09-17-2004, 04:09 PM
I was there and it was great. I remember the Sox had the lead going to the top of the ninth, and Dennis Lamp was in to close. I don't remember exactly what happened, but we had left our box seats on the Sox side in the top of the inning and Seattle tied the game. Some how we ended up at the railing in left center. I remember just knowing that the Sox would get it done in the bottom of the ninth. Harold was the MAN then, and I can to this day,vividly see Cruz tagging up and running down the line and then jumping on home plate with both arms raised. AWESOME

I also remember the effort by Britt Burns in game four of the ALCS. If the Sox score a run in that game, I believe the the last time the Sox would have won a World Series would have been 1983. Hold two Dibber.
After looking at that 83 reunion tape I could not believe how many opportunities we had to score a run or two. Of course the Dibber blunder but in the ninth we had runners at second and third with 2 outs but law was called out on strikes. Burns wouldn't have had to go back out in the 10th. I realize Burns pitched a gem but he also had 5 walks. I wonder why Larussa kept with him and not throw Koozman who wouldn't have started a game so would have had plenty of rest. I know it's easy to ask what if know but still...

Lip Man 1
09-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Soxzilla says: "Hopefully Kenny won't hear this at tonites game, otherwise he might try to resign the 1983 team..."

That 83 team TODAY could play the pants off the brain dead bufoons the Sox have now. Especially in fundamentals. I don't care how old they are.

Lip

Moses_Scurry
09-17-2004, 05:59 PM
I was there, and it was awesome! I was 10 years old and went with my Dad for his birthday. He bought the tickets in April for the game that would actually be on his birthday! How's that for luck!? I barely remember the actual game. I remember Harold hitting one out and I remember the crowd storming the field after Harold's sac fly and the fireworks at the end. That's about it. In 1984, my Dad bought tickets in April again, not so good that time :mad: .

TommyJohn
09-17-2004, 07:40 PM
I remember the night well. I was a sophomore in high school. I didn't go to the
game, but we lived right by the ballpark. We watched the end of the game on
TV, as soon as Cruz hit home plate we all ran out to watch the fireworks display. Other people on the block came out of their houses, as did patrons of
the local tavern. Several people driving home from the game drove by and
honked their horns. Others walked by and cheered or waved pennants. It was
a glorious night and a terrific time to be a White Sox fan. They were finishing
in first place for the first time in my short life and all was right with the world.

Then....came Tito.....

CRACK!!! (crack...crack...crack...)

(wind blowing, ball sailing through air)

CLANK!!! (clank...clank..clank...) (sound of ball clanking off upper deck facade)

POOF................