PDA

View Full Version : Most disappointing season?

OurBitchinMinny
09-17-2004, 01:52 AM
Which of the past 4 sox seasons has disappointed you the most?

Bisco Stu
09-17-2004, 02:45 AM
I'll tell you this, 2005 won't be disappointing because we're finishing no higher than 3rd behind the 'kies and the Injuns.

2001-2004 I expected the Sox to win the division each of those years, so all are equally disappointing. But I ain't buying into it anymore. That's why 2000 was so great, I wasn't execting anything from them. I'll wait until the next surprise season. Don't get me wrong, always a fan, but no more expectations until they turn it around with players who give a damn.

Most disappointing year ever was 94 though. We had a playoff tested team (from '93) and a truly legitimate shot to win the Series.

84 was also disappointing because we had my favorite player ever (Seaver) on the team and we were in first at the All Star break (with a mediocre record, tho). A complete collapse in the second half followed and the Flubs took the Chicago baseball crown that the Sox so clearly held in '83.

We wouldn't have beat Detroit in the playoffs but I really wanted that team w/ Seaver to make the playoffs.

Lem_Siddons
09-17-2004, 03:17 AM
2004, but I believe injuries, more so than "quitting" was the cause of the decline. So much hope at the start of the season, then it ends with two potential HoFers at home nursing injuries, wondering if they will even enter the home clubhouse at the cell.

RKMeibalane
09-17-2004, 06:49 AM
2004, but I believe injuries, more so than "quitting" was the cause of the decline. So much hope at the start of the season, then it ends with two potential HoFers at home nursing injuries, wondering if they will even enter the home clubhouse at the cell.
I agree. It seems as though there are still a number of people who don't understand that losing Frank and Maggs for the season is what contributed to this team's poor play. Anytime a team loses its two best players, bad things are going to happen. The Sox haven't played as well as they probably should have, even without Thomas and Ordonez, but I don't know if it's fair to say that this season is more dissapointing than last season was. The 2003 Sox had an excellent shot at the postseason, until Manuel ruined everything with the Buehrle-Cotts fiasco and the Jose Paniaqua experiment.

hsnterprize
09-17-2004, 07:42 AM
I voted for the 2003 season because of their September collapse, but I can understand why this season can rank in with the others listed. Let's face it...there wasn't a lot of expectation from those outside Chicago White Sox fandom for the teal to finish first. Yes...there was the occasional prediction from someone in the local media, but this team didn't get that much respect until the Garcia trade. Then...as soon as we started getting some legit attention (i.e., the Sox surging and the Cubbies falling out of the N.L. Central race), the bottom caved in.

A lot of us (I can definitely speak for myself) wanted the Sox to win this division mainly because we not only wanted our team to win, but was also wanted a bragging chip if/when the overhyped Cubs fail to make the playoffs. We all were so weary of the "All Cubs-All the time" hype from last fall, so (and we can admit this) we had a chip on our shoulder coming into this season. That chip, along with Ozzie's enthusiasm and the "Sox Pride" TV ads really riled us up this year. It's just a real shame that now we're into September, and our team is falling out while the other team is appearing to get their stride. And wouldn't it be a royal pain in the you-know-where if the Cubs do get in the post-season with all the excuse-making, umpire-arguing, concrete-crumbling, bird-pooping garbage we were subject to on the news and the radio almost every day. There'd be nothing but hype personafied on how the Cubs overcame all the adversity of the season to make it to the playoffs. And I predict that if last year was bad, this year will be much worse becasue even if they get swept in the 1st round, they'll still be heralded to being the first Chicago baseball team in so long (if at all, I'm not 100% sure) to make the post season 2 years in a row.

mike squires
09-17-2004, 08:03 AM
They are all equal to me. We went in to each of those seasons with a legitimate chance to win and have fallen short every time. There is always a team that is a little bit better that keeps us from going over the top. First Cleveland, then the Twins...If we are not careful it will be the Royals next or god forbid the Indians again in the next few years. The biggest disapointment of all is that the Sox have made some gutsy moves with Wells, Everitt, Alomar, Garcia and Contraris but we just can't seem to make it happen.:angry:

MRKARNO
09-17-2004, 08:36 AM
I voted 2003, because I was making plans for the playoffs and seriously thinking about going to the World Series when school started. f

2001 was bad too, but anyone could have seen that some sort of collapse was coming with our pitching staff which wasnt all that great. 2002 was bad too. 2004 was terrible because it looked really really promising in late May when all our starting pitchers had ERAs below 4, (except the 5th starter) our offense was clicking on all cylinders (remember Uribe's .330+ average early on?) and all it looked like we needed was to trade for a 5th starter and we were World Series bound. The collapse happened earlier, which made it less dissapointing, but it was still pretty awful.

Dan H
09-17-2004, 09:16 AM
The 2003 September collapse has to rank up there as one of all great choke jobs the Sox have ever had. I can't say I am disapointed in the 2004 season since I didn't have high expectations for the team to begin with.

bluestar
09-17-2004, 09:50 AM
2003 was the most disappointing for me out of those listed. This year is the most disheartening for me. I wish they could just forfeit the rest of their games and call it a year.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2004, 12:02 PM
The poll needs to be expanded. The past four seasons don't come close to the extreme, unbelieveable disappointment of seasons like 1964, 1967, 1972, 1977, 1990 and 1994.

Lip

OurBitchinMinny
09-17-2004, 12:06 PM
You can blame injuries, but even without those 2 the sox arent 13 games worse than the twins. Other than the first week of september this team has played with 0 heart. How many times did they lose 3/4 to detroit. Just a pathetic group of ballplayers

OurBitchinMinny
09-17-2004, 12:07 PM
The poll needs to be expanded. The past four seasons don't come close to the extreme, unbelieveable disappointment of seasons like 1964, 1967, 1972, 1977, 1990 and 1994.

Lip

I know that, but I was only talking about this current core group. 1994 is the most disappointing ever to me

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2004, 12:12 PM

I'm too young to remember 1964, but winning your last 9 and finishing with 98 wins but still one behind the Yankees has got to be the worst.

I don't remember 1967, but blowing it in KC before collapsing the final weekend against Washington just doesn't leave as much room for the unmitigated agony of the free-fall collapse of 2003.

'72, '77, '90, and '94... those teams were weeks or even months away from reaching paydirt. None of them are close to 2003.

I vote 1964 as the all-time worst. 2003 would be second and 1967 would be a close third.

2004 probably doesn't even make the top-ten. Maggs was missing back in May and Frank was gone the next month. We were probably cooked before the all-star break.

OurBitchinMinny
09-17-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm too young to remember 1964, but winning your last 9 and finishing with 98 wins but still one behind the Yankees has got to be the worst.

I don't remember 1967, but blowing it in KC before collapsing the final weekend against Washington just doesn't leave as much room for the unmitigated agony of the free-fall collapse of 2003.

'72, '77, '90, and '94... those teams were weeks or even months away from reaching paydirt. None of them are close to 2003.

I vote 1964 as the all-time worst. 2003 would be second and 1967 would be a close third.

2004 probably doesn't even make the top-ten. Maggs was missing back in May and Frank was gone the next month. We were probably cooked before the all-star break.
yeah but in mid-july we were half up. This isnt the most disappointing. I think 2003 is, but what is disappointing is how this team has quit. That minnesota series was flat out embarrassing. At least play with pride. Send a message that next year will be different (even if it will probably not be)

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2004, 12:18 PM
yeah but in mid-july we were half up. This isnt the most disappointing. I think 2003 is, but what is disappointing is how this team has quit. That minnesota series was flat out embarrassing. At least play with pride. Send a message that next year will be different (even if it will probably not be)Without Frank or Maggs, we weren't going ANYWHERE. Winning in 2004 was a pipedream from the moment Frank's broken foot was revealed. Maggs' bone bleeding merely sealed it.

Yeah sure Lee, Konerko, and Crede were going to lead us to a division title... that will be the day.

balke
09-17-2004, 12:20 PM
yeah but in mid-july we were half up. This isnt the most disappointing. I think 2003 is, but what is disappointing is how this team has quit. That minnesota series was flat out embarrassing. At least play with pride. Send a message that next year will be different (even if it will probably not be)
They have the inability to play MLB at this point. Lately some of our best looking pitchers have been chumps all season. We should've thrown Grilli on the hill last night, he at least would've gotten run support.

Your team isn't credible when they are putting ross Gload in left field for the most important face-saving series you have left.

OurBitchinMinny
09-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Without Frank or Maggs, we weren't going ANYWHERE. Winning in 2004 was a pipedream from the moment Frank's broken foot was revealed. Maggs' bone bleeding merely sealed it.

Yeah sure Lee, Konerko, and Crede were going to lead us to a division title... that will be the day.
yeah and I knew the minute they went down the sox werent winning the division. The only disappointing aspect is that this team quit. When more than half your team is gutless and the other half should be in AAA, its disheartening.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2004, 12:43 PM
yeah and I knew the minute they went down the sox werent winning the division. The only disappointing aspect is that this team quit. When more than half your team is gutless and the other half should be in AAA, its disheartening.
Well even I'm embarrassed how the rest of our "core" managed to fold up like a cheap lawn chair. As bad as I always thought the back-half of our lineup always was, they truly astounded me with how low they could go. And Garland... what a knuckleheaded loser he revealed himself to be.

Harrelson finally disgusted me enough last night to turn off the game. When he and DJ started making excuses for the heartless piece of **** pitcher I couldn't take it any more. "He's got the right attitude... he wants to win..." What ****ing planet have they been watching the past season's games from?
:angry:

People who defend Harrelson obviously don't listen very hard to the unmitigated pap he is capable of spouting.

Hawk is veering dangerously close to Chimp Caray territory. He was already there with his call of the game last night.

:chimp
"Get up there... STRETCH! Caught by the secondbasemen!"

ja1022
09-17-2004, 12:59 PM
For me, 1984 was disappointing because even into early September I kept waiting for the team to turn it on the way they did after the All Star break in 1983. Even back then the AL Central was relatively weak, and the Sox hung around within striking distance but never put together a run at the end.

In July of 2003 I thought the Sox locked up the Central when they added Alomar and Everett. I actually thought at that point they would win the division going away, and then they won the 1st game that September 4 game set with the Twins in Chicago, and dropped the next 3. After that they were done.

2004 is my most disappointing season though. KW was going to get "grinders" and Ozzie was going to give the team a kick in the ass, and "Ozzie ball" and "winning is fung" and "guys that know how to play the game" and Freddy Garcia and blah blah blah. I bought into all that until July 26th. The topic been beat to death, but the fact remains that the Sox have sucked since Hunter laid out Burke.
I know they lost big production in the middle, but even so, this team, as a group, has played, by and large, gutless, uninspired baseball. If they had just stayed competitive with the loss of Frank and Maggs, I think a whole bunch of us Sox fans would have been satisfied, but instead they seem to have flat out laid down. And that just sucks.

balke
09-17-2004, 01:00 PM
And Garland... what a knuckleheaded loser he revealed himself to be.

Harrelson finally disgusted me enough last night to turn off the game. When he and DJ started making excuses for the heartless piece of **** pitcher I couldn't take it any more. "He's got the right attitude... he wants to win..." What ****ing planet have they been watching the past season's games from?

People who defend Harrelson obviously don't listen very hard to the unmitigated pap he is capable of spouting.

Hawk is veering dangerously close to Chimp Caray territory. He was already there with his call of the game last night.

"Get up there... STRETCH! Caught by the secondbasemen!"Garland's by no means a class act. But I'd rather have a self-confident pitcher (even if he's undeservably arrogant or cocky) than a self-defeating louse. Garland has posted a decent ERA-salary ratio, even if he's been consistantly mediocre. And we've thrown him in some crap situations. He hasn't sat on the DL, he hasn't refused to go in the game to relieve someone 2 days before his next start. He's played ball, pitched decent, and been backed by godawful defensive efforts.

He's not the most loved player on this team, but someone pitching with confidence, and making it know he's getting the short end of the stick from time to time in his starts, is not the problem with this team.

"I wouldn't have changed a thing", is a no-excuses attitude IMO. How do you answer a question like "What would you have done differently in such and such an inning." it's ridiculous. Only two answers are available, "nothing", or "I wouldn't have given up those runs".

Everyone keeps saying Hawks off his rocker lately :dunno: I still love the SOB

he_gone_89
09-18-2004, 12:54 AM
just when i thought 2003 was the worst since 1997,

this 2004 season has made last year look like we lost a playoff series or something

*No arms,injured bats and a incoherent staff is what makes the
2004 white sox,so special. Celebrate the horrible,depressing
season with,"Giving Up:The 2004 Chicago White Sox".*

OurBitchinMinny
09-18-2004, 01:59 AM
Garland seems to be full of excuses all the time. I have a hard time giving up on him because i know he has the stuff. But when you suck, be a stand up guy about it. He reminds me a lot of the twinkies lohse. Both have pretty good stuff (garlands is better). But both are hated by their fans because of their arrogance. Lohse constantly butts heads with gardenhire, and garland doesnt seem to listen to anyone. The correlation: They are products of the scrub farm system. For as bad as billy koch was, and he was awful, at least he was a stand up guy until the end, not an arrogant prick like garland. I give garland one more year, not based on anything hes done this year, but on talent

misty60481
09-18-2004, 07:37 PM
I think 2004 was biggest dissapointment at least last year we had Maggs, Frank, to look forward to, this year looks like end of the line---start all over

A. Cavatica
09-18-2004, 08:31 PM
My vote: 2003. Built to contend, with the deepest rotation in ten years, and what should have been a monster lineup. Played themselves out of contention against an easy schedule in the first half (Thanks, Billy! Thanks, Rick! Thanks, Paul! Thanks, Joe!) and never had a legitimate chance in the second, despite what some of you seem to think.

2001 was disappointing because of all the injuries.

2002 was disappointing because the team quit on Manuel for the first time, but they had too many holes to win.

2004 only seems disappointing because they overachieved in the first half. They're coming right back to my preseason prediction (77-85).

I agree with others about seasons like 1994 being just as painful as this one. Heck, the '94 team was a Series contender, and our own owner sabotaged our chances.

Viva Magglio
09-18-2004, 09:26 PM
This may not be our worst season ever, but this is without a doubt the most frustrating season...ever. Every single night is now another kick in the groin. It remains my opinion that Ken Williams has ruined this team more than anything else, and the ramificaitons of his incompetence will be felt for seasons to come.

I hope to God that Jerry Reinsdorf comes to his senses and fires Williams.

OEO Magglio
09-18-2004, 09:37 PM
This may not be our worst season ever, but this is without a doubt the most frustrating season...ever. Every single night is now another kick in the groin. It remains my opinion that Ken Williams has ruined this team more than anything else, and the ramificaitons of his incompetence will be felt for seasons to come.

I hope to God that Jerry Reinsdorf comes to his senses and fires Williams.
My god.....another one.

:threadsucks

TommyJohn
09-18-2004, 10:37 PM
My god.....another one.

:threadsucks
Will someone please replace the picture of this dork doofus idiot?

Viva Magglio
09-18-2004, 10:53 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!
:supernana:

Gosox1917
09-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Well even I'm embarrassed how the rest of our "core" managed to fold up like a cheap lawn chair. As bad as I always thought the back-half of our lineup always was, they truly astounded me with how low they could go. And Garland... what a knuckleheaded loser he revealed himself to be.

:chimp
"Get up there... STRETCH! Caught by the secondbasemen!"
I'm sorry i forgot that you travel with the team and know the players on a personal level...God knows Hawk knows nothing about the White Sox and knows nothing about the game.

If you don't wanna listen to Hawk and DJ that's your decision and that's fine but I would love to listen to you call a game. I'm sure you'd be great.

balke
09-19-2004, 03:28 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/sucks12.jpg

Only for you.

Mohoney
09-19-2004, 07:17 AM
The 2003 Sox had an excellent shot at the postseason, until Manuel ruined everything with the Buehrle-Cotts fiasco and the Jose Paniaqua experiment.
If they would have fired the nitwit in May...

PaleHoseGeorge
09-19-2004, 08:21 AM
I'm sorry i forgot that you travel with the team and know the players on a personal level...God knows Hawk knows nothing about the White Sox and knows nothing about the game.

If you don't wanna listen to Hawk and DJ that's your decision and that's fine but I would love to listen to you call a game. I'm sure you'd be great.

Wow. Inspired use of sarcasm.
:nuts:

Hawk sucks, and he has never sucked harder. You need somebody to feed you endless mouthfuls of b.s. about the three-legged mongrel you're expected to support? The Cubune has already perfected it.
:smokin:

:hawk :chimp
"ROCKET SHOT! ... GET UP THERE! ... LASER! ... STRETCH!"
"Caught in short right. ... He jussst missed it."

balke
09-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Wow. Inspired use of sarcasm.
:nuts:

Hawk sucks, and he has never sucked harder. You need somebody to feed you endless mouthfuls of b.s. about the three-legged mongrel you're expected to support? The Cubune has already perfected it.
:smokin:

:hawk :chimp
"ROCKET SHOT! ... GET UP THERE! ... LASER! ... STRETCH!"
"Caught in short right. ... He jussst missed it."
'ceptin Chimp sucks and sounds rehearsed. Hawk normally is just expressing true excitement for the team. Maybe you'd like one of the other 100 sportscasters in baseball that don't know jack about what's going on, they just read the stat sheet and use their well-trained radio voice to mess up the names of everyone on the field.

Hawk's great, he's part of what/who the White Sox are. (insert snappy comeback of what that is here)

PaleHoseGeorge
09-19-2004, 11:26 AM
'ceptin Chimp sucks and sounds rehearsed. Hawk normally is just expressing true excitement for the team. Maybe you'd like one of the other 100 sportscasters in baseball that don't know jack about what's going on, they just read the stat sheet and use their well-trained radio voice to mess up the names of everyone on the field.

Hawk's great, he's part of what/who the White Sox are. (insert snappy comeback of what that is here)
I'll take Rooney, who you may recall once did Sox TV play-by-play back in the late 80's. I listen to Hawk for exactly one reason: To find out what Jerry Reinsdorf is thinking. That's all he is good for once you've finally outgrown his stale homespun comedy schtick.

Goes IN here------------------------->:reinsy

Comes OUT here---------------------->:hawk

balke
09-19-2004, 11:40 AM
I'll take Rooney, who you may recall once did Sox TV play-by-play back in the late 80's. I listen to Hawk for exactly one reason: To find out what Jerry Reinsdorf is thinking. That's all he is good for once you've finally outgrown his stale homespun comedy schtick.

At least you're getting that? Most sportscasters are very phony and unattached to the squads. They read the cue cards about what goes on within the team. Hawk knows and tells everything he can about the sox. I'm stuck here listening to the Cardinals casters... good lord are they bad. I consider the Sox lucky to have Hawk.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:fuO6yv11_N0J:images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2003/03/06/from_marthas_kitchen_d.jpg
"It's a good thing!"

Gosox1917
09-19-2004, 04:15 PM
At least you're getting that? Most sportscasters are very phony and unattached to the squads. They read the cue cards about what goes on within the team. Hawk knows and tells everything he can about the sox. I'm stuck here listening to the Cardinals casters... good lord are they bad. I consider the Sox lucky to have Hawk.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:fuO6yv11_N0J:images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2003/03/06/from_marthas_kitchen_d.jpg
"It's a good thing!"Yes...thank you that's all I'm tryin to say. And Hawk always does a good job of the play-by-play too IMO. No matter who you are, you have to think Hawk is better than Ron Santo...UGGGHHHHGHGGHHHGGHHHGGGHHH!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Yes...thank you that's all I'm tryin to say. And Hawk always does a good job of the play-by-play too IMO. No matter who you are, you have to think Hawk is better than Ron Santo...UGGGHHHHGHGGHHHGGHHHGGGHHH!!!
Well gosh, even I never said Hawk was as bad as Ron Santo.
:cool:

:santo
"My wig is on fire! Oh, noooooo!"

Gosox1917
09-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Well gosh, even I never said Hawk was as bad as Ron Santo.
:cool:

:santo
"My wig is on fire! Oh, noooooo!"
LOL...good one

Etownsox13
09-20-2004, 11:53 AM
No Season Will ever equal the disappointment of 1994

Lip Man 1
09-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Unless you are old enough to remember 1964.

Lip