PDA

View Full Version : Take note Hawk and DJ!

RichieRichAllen
10-06-2001, 05:46 PM
I've had the opportunity to be in Chicago for the entire baseball season for the first time since 1985 this year. I've seen just about every game (when I haven't been to the ballpark) on TV.

I'm not going to bash Hawk or DJ, although I think we could do a lot better. But I would like to point out some of the stuff that has really irritated me over the course of the season.

1. Could Hawk please knock it off with the "I love (insert here)" crap? It ain't funny, it's stale and it needs to be dropped. This includes the "I love it when you analyze" zing he throws at DJ. Not that I defend that DJ has an analytical mind, but Hawk ain't much better. Can it.

2. Why the hell does DJ feel it necessary to immediately answer the Afflack question of the night? Does he think we all sit there and ooooh and ahhhhh over his "broad" knowledge of the game? Hey DJ! This is for the fans, OK? If you want to show your knowledge, write your answer on a piece of paper, fold it and hand it to Hawk until the official answer is given. Then Hawk can compare it and we can find out if you really are all that. I wrote these guys an e-mail back in July telling 'em to knock it off, but apparently it missed DJ.

3. No inside jokes please. It's insane for two professional announcers to have inside jokes on the air. Not only that, it's damn annoying. Try and think a little before you refer to something we can't relate to, eh guys?

4. Could Hawk try and be a little less demeaning toward DJ? And where does he get these nicknames? Feisty? Wimpy? Don't they kind of put him at a different level than his "fledglings"? DJ came out of the box early this year mimicking some of Hawks coined phrases, but it stopped about 1/4 way into the season. Wonder if the Mother Hawker got a little miffed and said something?

OK, I'll stop here. Feel free to share.

PS- Is it just me or does DJ appear to have a Prozac glaze over his eyes during the post game show? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

CerberusWG
10-06-2001, 06:23 PM
Be happy we don't have chimp and Joe Carter. I was watching the Cubs game and Chimp said this

:chimp

Jack (wilson) be nimble, Jack be quick, you better get out of the way of Delino DeShields real quick!

Silence ensues.

Spiff
10-06-2001, 06:40 PM
Dude you wanna hear bad announcers, come listen to Sean McDonough and Jerry Remy ramble on about the loser ballboys and Wally the Beanbag Buddy's world travels.

Baseball game? What baseball game?

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2001, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen
And where does he get these nicknames? Feisty? Wimpy.

I don't know where Feisty comes from, but Paciorek said the Wimpy nickname came from his early Dodgers days. He'd go out to dinner with all the big money boys, and they'd order steaks. He'd order a hamburger because it was cheaper. So, the other guys started calling him Wimpy, ala the Popeye character.

RichieRichAllen
10-07-2001, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

I don't know where Feisty comes from, but Paciorek said the Wimpy nickname came from his early Dodgers days. He'd go out to dinner with all the big money boys, and they'd order steaks. He'd order a hamburger because it was cheaper. So, the other guys started calling him Wimpy, ala the Popeye character.

Thanks Nellie. My apologies to the Hawkster for my assumption.

Wasn't Wimpy's a hamburger chain, as well? I seem to remember a couple downtown when I was a kid.