PDA

View Full Version : How come no more Borchard?

GiveMeSox
09-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Im not backing the guy at all, hes terrible with his .155 avg and emergence as the new strikeout king on this team. That being said he still needs every at bat he can get. This is player development time, see what they are made of. Though most our minds are already made up on Boarchard, he cant hit and is extremely overmatched at the plate. He is a relik of the Shueler age of trying to breed big stocky sluggers, the next Frank Thomas. No one wants a guy like that around anymore and its just bad timing for Borchard, he is useless to this franchise. But still he value wont go up sitting on the bench. He needs to be in there playing, learning, developing. Has ozzie said something about him, commented on how he has seen enough? I dont blame him, i hope hes traded for anything, but why on earth does Timo need playing time, it should be reserved or Borchard!

Parrothead
09-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Im not backing the guy at all, hes terrible with his .155 avg and emergence as the new strikeout king on this team. That being said he still needs every at bat he can get. This is player development time, see what they are made of. Though most our minds are already made up on Boarchard, he cant hit and is extremely overmatched at the plate. He is a relik of the Shueler age of trying to breed big stocky sluggers, the next Frank Thomas. No one wants a guy like that around anymore and its just bad timing for Borchard, he is useless to this franchise. But still he value wont go up sitting on the bench. He needs to be in there playing, learning, developing. Has ozzie said something about him, commented on how he has seen enough? I dont blame him, i hope hes traded for anything, but why on earth does Timo need playing time, it should be reserved or Borchard!
Nobody wants Borchard because he can't hit. He could not hit in the minors and he can't hit here. He has learned everything that he will here. It is time to release this guy. Joe is the next "Lyle Mouton".

AddisonStSox
09-16-2004, 08:55 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/stan/sports/m-basebl/99-00roster/p-borchard.jpg = http://www.switsport.com/autographs-cademcnown.jpg

Sometimes talent at the collegiate level simply doesn't translate to talent at the professional level. It happens. What can you do? Bite the bullet...have a beer...and bite the bullet.

JB98
09-16-2004, 09:00 PM

If I were a member of the Chicago media, I would ask Ozzie and/or KW why Borchard is not playing and if, in fact, the organization has indeed given up on him. I've been wondering the answer to that question myself. Unfortunately, the Chicago papers don't really cover our team.

gosox41
09-17-2004, 07:24 AM
I agree he needs to be playing. Is he hurt? Or is it bad management? Right now I'll go with option B.

Bob

thepaulbowski
09-17-2004, 07:30 AM
If I were a member of the Chicago media, I would ask Ozzie and/or KW why Borchard is not playing and if, in fact, the organization has indeed given up on him. I've been wondering the answer to that question myself. Unfortunately, the Chicago papers don't really cover our team.
According to Melton on the postgame show on the radio yesterday, he will ask Ozzie today (on FSN) why Borchard, Willie & Uribe aren't playing everyday. Be sure to tune in.

JRIG
09-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Nobody wants Borchard because he can't hit. He could not hit in the minors and he can't hit here. He has learned everything that he will here. It is time to release this guy. Joe is the next "Lyle Mouton".
Don't insult Lyle Mouton like that.

soxtalker
09-17-2004, 08:56 AM
I also have been wondering why Borchard and the other young players weren't playing more. I posted a thread a few days ago, asking what the Sox thinking was on Valentin for a similar reason. I just couldn't understand why he was getting so much playing time. A reasonable answer for a few games is that they might be taking a look at Uribe at 3rd, though I would still prefer that they play Valdez. (Even if he is a long shot, they can learn something. They know what they have in Valentin.)

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it almost suggests that they were making some attempt -- and a half-hearted one at that -- to still win. That strikes me as a waste of an opportunity to give playing time to young players. As the last few games have shown, it has been clear for awhile (to most fans and to the veteran players) that they have been out of it.

Another possibility, of course, is that they have already made decisions on Borchard and Harris.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Joe is the next "Lyle Mouton".Mouton had much better numbers.

davenicholson
09-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Nobody wants Borchard because he can't hit. He could not hit in the minors and he can't hit here. He has learned everything that he will here. It is time to release this guy. Joe is the next "Lyle Mouton".I like to think of him as the next "Dave Nicholson". :redface:

eriqjaffe
09-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Borchard, at best, is the next Pete Incaviglia.

More likely, he's the next Rob Deer.

OurBitchinMinny
09-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Mouton at least contributed on occassion. Borchard is a pile of human excrement

iwannago
09-17-2004, 12:32 PM
I like to think of him as the next "Dave Nicholson". :redface:
I think even Big Dave hit over 200. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2004, 01:16 PM
I think even Big Dave hit over 200. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:In 1963 he hit .229 with 22 HR and 70 RBI.

fuzzy_patters
09-17-2004, 01:27 PM
I disagree with the premise of this thread. Borchard has shown enough to know that he should not make the team next year. Timo Perez might actually make the team or get something in a trade. The Sox should use this month to build for next year, so Timo should be the everyday right fielder. I agree that young players like Valdez, Bajenaru, and Diaz should be getting tons of playing time, but Borchard should not. He has already had ample time to prove he is not a major league player.

PorkChopExpress
09-17-2004, 01:40 PM
In 1963 he hit .229 with 22 HR and 70 RBI.
Sounds like a Valentin.

Rush20
09-17-2004, 02:10 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/stan/sports/m-basebl/99-00roster/p-borchard.jpg = http://www.switsport.com/autographs-cademcnown.jpg

Sometimes talent at the collegiate level simply doesn't translate to talent at the professional level. It happens. What can you do? Bite the bullet...have a beer...and bite the bullet.
Very funny. Speaking of celebrity look-a-like, I always thought the "subject at hand", Joe Borchard looks a little like Jackie Earl Haley (sp?) "Kelly" from the Bad News Bears. I'll try to find a picture and post it.:)

duke of dorwood
09-17-2004, 02:37 PM
I agree he needs to be playing. Is he hurt? Or is it bad management? Right now I'll go with option B.

Bob
Ditto