PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 9/16

Lip Man 1
09-16-2004, 01:11 PM
''We are not consistent, we have to be more consistent, and that's what the Twins do. They come to the park, and they know what they have to do and they do it. If they are going to hit-and-run, they don't miss. If they are going to move the guy over, they don't miss. They will make the big pitch when they need it.''-- Ozzie Guillen to Doug Padilla / Sun-Times

Preach on brother Ozzie! It's going to be an interesting off season. Hopefully management guts this underachieving, baseball brain dead team.

Lip

balke
09-16-2004, 01:13 PM
''We are not consistent, we have to be more consistent, and that's what the Twins do. They come to the park, and they know what they have to do and they do it. If they are going to hit-and-run, they don't miss. If they are going to move the guy over, they don't miss. They will make the big pitch when they need it.''-- Ozzie Guillen to Doug Padilla / Sun-Times

Preach on brother Ozzie! It's going to be an interesting off season. Hopefully management guts this underachieving, baseball brain dead team.

Lip
Leave it to Ozzie to preach about being consistant. I'm sorry... it has to be said. I need a super computer so I can calculate his lineups this season, and keep track of what kind of manager Oz is going to be one day to the next.

alohafri
09-16-2004, 01:18 PM

Lip
Only if they can get guys who cost less will they gut this team.

RKMeibalane
09-16-2004, 04:35 PM
I think it's about time people stopped talking about this situation, and instead, starting doing something about it. We've heard about "what the Twins are doing right" for the past three seasons, and I'm sick of it. Management needs to get off its rear and put together a team that can actually compete for a change.

Baby Fisk
09-16-2004, 04:43 PM
I think it's about time people stopped talking about this situation, and instead, starting doing something about it. We've heard about "what the Twins are doing right" for the past three seasons, and I'm sick of it. Management needs to get off its rear and put together a team that can actually compete for a change.Less Anakin, More Vader.

Tekijawa
09-16-2004, 04:48 PM
I think it's about time people stopped talking about this situation, and instead, starting doing something about it. We've heard about "what the Twins are doing right" for the past three seasons, and I'm sick of it. Management needs to get off its rear and put together a team that can actually compete for a change.
But we were "a year ahead of schedule" 4 years ago! Wait until this plan finally comes to fruition... it will be glorious!!!

Soxzilla
09-16-2004, 05:51 PM

Lip
Well Ozzie, your the manager. Maybe you should do something about it, rather then talk about it with the media. Your not mr. consistency either, you pile of hypocrisy.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-16-2004, 05:55 PM
But we were "a year ahead of schedule" 4 years ago! Wait until this plan finally comes to fruition... it will be glorious!!!
By now every Sox Fan knows exactly what "the plan" is. The "plan" is to make a tidy profit for the chairman and his investors. The Sox were "a year ahead of schedule" four years ago and have remained ahead of schedule ever since.

Where are all those Sox championships? Right next to all the Bulls championships after Jordan was squeezed out. Good for Reinsdorf. Bad for everyone else.

:reinsy
"Okay, maybe I was wrong about organizations winning championships... but mine always make money!"

Wealz
09-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Situational hitting, or execution, isn't the Sox problem. OzzieBall just isn't the right approach when playing in the best hitter's park in MLB. They'd be much better served IMO if they adopted Earl Weaver's pitching and 3-run homer way of thinking. The pitching part needs work, but they have a nice head start on the homer part -- only problem being too many of them are of the solo variety.

soxnut
09-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Situational hitting, or execution, isn't the Sox problem. OzzieBall just isn't the right approach when playing in the best hitter's park in MLB. They'd be much better served IMO if they adopted Earl Weaver's pitching and 3-run homer way of thinking. The pitching part needs work, but they have a nice head start on the homer part -- only problem being too many of them are of the solo variety.
We've been trying that approach since 2000 and it hasn't gotten this team anywhere. I hate that stupid approach. That is not baseball. Hitting home runs is a crapshoot--all they are, are fly balls that are lucky they made it over the fence, it reqiures no thinking whatsoever. This team has been stupid for too long. Sorry.

batmanZoSo
09-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Only if they can get guys who cost less will they gut this team.
Doesn't that basically define "gutting" anyway?

batmanZoSo
09-16-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm fine with that because we have a high potential 1-3 set up for next year (Contreras being a huge X factor). So we just need one more of Garcia or Buehrle's caliber to have a really solid 1-5. If you improve the bullpen too, we can live with being a 3 run homer team, but that's the key, it has to be 3 runs, not 1 like you said. And to remedy that we need to get at least a real leadoff man and have Rowand bat second. He has good speed and hits plenty of singles and doubles to go along with 20-25 homers. We can't turn into the 82 Cardinals over night, nor should we, but we need one or two guys who can get on base with consistent singles hitting, steal bases and field well. We'll still basically be a power hitting team, but a little more versatility. And over the long haul, a great 1-5 rotation will prevail. It doesn't matter if we don't manufacture every run we get and hit and run. The A's and Braves make the playoffs every year with this formula. And this is the formula to which we're closer than any other.

Over time you shift toward more of a small ball/great D kind of team while retaining that vital 3-6 core of sluggers you need in the AL. Focus on that stuff in the coming drafts, go for good, heady players with perfect fundamentals and ability to take pitches and hit in the clutch. Draft heavy in catchers, middle infielders and center fielders. Stay away from these might-become-a-superstar/great athlete/has-a-chance projects like Borchard.

LASOXFAN
09-17-2004, 12:48 AM

Lip
Jerry Manuel said the same thing but without the confusing accent.

akingamongstmen
09-17-2004, 02:04 AM
I'm fine with that because we have a high potential 1-3 set up for next year (Contreras being a huge X factor). So we just need one more of Garcia or Buehrle's caliber to have a really solid 1-5. If you improve the bullpen too, we can live with being a 3 run homer team, but that's the key, it has to be 3 runs, not 1 like you said. And to remedy that we need to get at least a real leadoff man and have Rowand bat second. He has good speed and hits plenty of singles and doubles to go along with 20-25 homers. We can't turn into the 82 Cardinals over night, nor should we, but we need one or two guys who can get on base with consistent singles hitting, steal bases and field well. We'll still basically be a power hitting team, but a little more versatility. And over the long haul, a great 1-5 rotation will prevail. It doesn't matter if we don't manufacture every run we get and hit and run. The A's and Braves make the playoffs every year with this formula. And this is the formula to which we're closer than any other.

Over time you shift toward more of a small ball/great D kind of team while retaining that vital 3-6 core of sluggers you need in the AL. Focus on that stuff in the coming drafts, go for good, heady players with perfect fundamentals and ability to take pitches and hit in the clutch. Draft heavy in catchers, middle infielders and center fielders. Stay away from these might-become-a-superstar/great athlete/has-a-chance projects like Borchard.
What he said.

OurBitchinMinny
09-17-2004, 02:46 AM
all the sox need is jordan-esque baseball player in his prime. The only way reinsdorf owned teams can win is if they have the best player ever to play. So until the sox find the next jordan they wont win. But i thought organizations win championships uncle jerry. Have your bulls even won as many games combined since jordan left as they did in 95-96? What a pile of ****. Put him and bill wirtz in room and throw away the kill. Or have one of them buy the cubs and allow chicagos real teams to return to prominence