PDA

View Full Version : Sad sack Cowley at it again?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Perhaps somebody already posted this, but the Southtown's (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/151sd3.htm) Joe Cowley is at it again. This time the ballplayer is unnamed... Cowley's favorite sort of source.

"I'll be glad to sit back and watch them go one and done (in the playoffs). Our season ends Oct. 3 or whatever it is. So they'll get an extra week in before they're done." Whether the story is Frank malingering, Frank wanting more money, the Sox clubhouse being a mortuary, whatever... if it's negative spin, Joe Cowley always "scoops" the story.

I'm less surprised a ballplayer would say something this dumb (they say dumb things all the time), as I am surprised Cowley didn't name the ballplayer. He must be getting soft... either that or the ballplayer threatened to clock Cowley if his name was used.

A coworker from Minnesota gave me a heads up about this. It is getting major play in the Minneapolis media.

Stupid White Sox...

Baby Fisk
09-16-2004, 01:08 PM
I love the quote from Yogi Guillen:

"It didn't show, but he threw a good game," Guillen said of Garcia.*drops mouth open like the AFLAC duck*

poorme
09-16-2004, 01:25 PM
are you suggesting he made it up?

Lip Man 1
09-16-2004, 01:31 PM
For what it's worth Buehrle said the same things and he went on the record.

Lip

Brian26
09-16-2004, 01:34 PM
For what it's worth Buehrle said the same things and he went on the record.

Lip

Yep. It was in yesterday's paper. The context was that Buehrle was pissed about Hunter's jawjacking in the first game of the series.

Randar68
09-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Yep. It was in yesterday's paper. The context was that Buehrle was pissed about Hunter's jawjacking in the first game of the series.The Sox are out of it. They should go up and in to Torii Hunter every at bat from here on out. I want to see him afraid to go to the plate. Call up the AAA-journeymen to do it if you have to. The fines will be worth it, just ask Jamie Burke.

Tekijawa
09-16-2004, 01:44 PM
I guess out of any team out there we should probably know exactly what it takes to be one and done in the post season.

P.S. I wish our season was one week longer! it may not be important to them but I'd enjoy it!

Nard
09-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Why are we not putting one in Hunter's earhole every AB? Why are we such women?

I swear, this is the most frustrating **** in the world.

With all his stupid jaw jabbing, he should even be beaned if the Burke incident never happened.

Mickster
09-16-2004, 01:57 PM
The Sox are out of it. They should go up and in to Torii Hunter every at bat from here on out. I want to see him afraid to go to the plate. Call up the AAA-journeymen to do it if you have to. The fines will be worth it, just ask Jamie Burke.COULDN'T. AGREE. MORE.

Jerko
09-16-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm getting sick of the Sox getting sick of what Minnesota players say or do. If it bothers you that much, White Sox, try finishing ahead of them one of these years. What's worse, Torii Hunter saying "these @#$@# are done", which is true, or a different Sox player every spring saying "we're better than they are", which obviously hasn't been true for what, going on 5 seasons now?

pudge
09-16-2004, 02:04 PM
The Sox are out of it. They should go up and in to Torii Hunter every at bat from here on out. I want to see him afraid to go to the plate. Call up the AAA-journeymen to do it if you have to. The fines will be worth it, just ask Jamie Burke.Amen. They should have done it long ago. Why are they getting their stones now when they're ten games out? They have just been bent over this season.

balke
09-16-2004, 02:07 PM
I think one up and in on torii was mandatory. I think any more pitches thrown at him is unreasonable, pointless, lacking class, and bad sportsmanship. We don't have cajones.

After we plunked him, all we did was acknowledge we are cajone-less. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

There's nothing left for this team to focus on. Players will be leaving next season, the Twins have us beat, we have no heart regardless of the outcome of the rest of our series. Let's stick it out in purgatory for a while. It's better than being marked as criminals in the media for not letting a grudge go.

eriqjaffe
09-16-2004, 03:12 PM
The Sox are out of it. They should go up and in to Torii Hunter every at bat from here on out. I want to see him afraid to go to the plate. Call up the AAA-journeymen to do it if you have to. The fines will be worth it, just ask Jamie Burke.

I think Burke should just surprise him and do some sort of Ninja sweep kick. Knock him on his rear in between pitches.

ma-gaga
09-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Is Crowley to blame for the continuing media fued??
It's sickening, but each time I think it's dead, it gets resurrected.

You can't see the "headline" in the online version, but the print copy has the tagline "Sox stay arrogant to the end" on this story:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/4983535.html

Again, for those of you that don't want to register, Torii is quoted:

From 2001, when the Twins roared to an early division lead but lost it late, White Sox players, past and present, have doubted the Twins' talent. Yet the Twins have outhustled, outfielded, outpitched and outplayed them despite all the roster adjustments general manager Kenny Williams has attempted.

Buehrle is the latest to White Sox player to disparage the Twins. After losing to the Twins on Tuesday, Buehrle questioned their ability to go far in the postseason.

"You have [Johan] Santana and [Brad] Radke, and you've got a chance," Buehrle told the suburban Chicago Daily Southtown. "but then you look at the rest of their roster and you really can't see them getting past the first round. Anything can happen, but I don't see it."
Outfielder Torii Hunter, when showed a copy of the story, offered a theory of why the White Sox continue to slight the Twins.
"They hate us busting their tails," Hunter growled.
Hunter was steaming after reading comments from Buehrle, starter Freddy Garcia and one unidentified White Sox player who said, "Minnesota has two World Series banners, but not one came from this group of players. They forget that. I'll be glad to sit back and watch them go one and done [in the playoffs]."
"They talk so much trash I don't believe it," Hunter said. "I didn't say anything to Garcia. I didn't even look at Garcia. That's unbelievable. They misread everything. I'm not going to go out there and fight and get suspended. I'm going to try to take somebody out. Every time I run home I'm going to try to knock the catcher out."

Hunter said he rooted for the White Sox in the 2001 postseason. He's not sure if he'll do that again. The White Sox, of course, would have to find a way to get to the playoffs first.

"I don't like any of them now," Hunter said.

So, I guess we'll be fed this continued crap for the next 2+ years since both Buerhle and Hunter are signed for that long... gah. The W.Sox are too good to complain about their lot in life. Regarding Buerhle, I like him, but if he keeps this crap up...

:gulp:

RedPinStripes
09-16-2004, 05:58 PM
When a team kicks your ass for the last 3 years and you let them run their mouth, you wont get any respect out of them ever. The Sox can blame themselves for Tori Hunter and Jones for running their mouth all the time. Sox should have been drilling these guys a long time ago when the Twins kicked their ass the first year.

doublem23
09-16-2004, 07:20 PM
I want to see him afraid to go to the plate. Call up the AAA-journeymen to do it if you have to. The fines will be worth it, just ask Jamie Burke.
The question is... Is there anyone in AAA with the control to throw up and in on him? :tongue:

Win1ForMe
09-16-2004, 07:42 PM
The Sox are out of it. They should go up and in to Torii Hunter every at bat from here on out. I want to see him afraid to go to the plate. Call up the AAA-journeymen to do it if you have to. The fines will be worth it, just ask Jamie Burke.
I've been saying from the time this started, the only way to really get revenge on them is to take out one of their catchers. Of course I'd wait untill next season when Mauer is behind the plate...Henry Blanco or Matt Lecroy aren't worthy targets.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Win1ForMe says: "the only way to really get revenge on them is to take out one of their catchers."

No....the way to get revenge is to finish ahead of them in the standings. Something the Sox have been incapable of doing for four seasons now.

Lip

chisoxmike
09-16-2004, 11:12 PM
As you all know the Sox and Twins have gone at it over the past few years. Sox trash talking the Twins, and Twins trash talking our Sox.

I pulled this off the Twins site...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Talking to a Chicago newspaper following Minnesota's 10-2 win Tuesday, Buehrle took exception with Twins center fielder Torii Hunter. The lefty told The Daily Southtown that Hunter looked into the visitors' dugout between innings and yelled, "These (expletive) are done" after hitting a double in a nine-run Twins sixth inning.

"What dirt do they think they're still kicking on us?" Buehrle said. "Our chances coming into this series were slim to none. They're going to the playoffs and we're not. But what he did was a bit excessive."

Hunter was plunked by a Freddy Garcia pitch in the first inning Tuesday, apparent retribution for a home plate collision with catcher Jamie Burke at Chicago in July. He denied looking into his opponent's dugout.

Buehrle also didn't think the Twins would be much of a factor in the postseason. "You have Santana and Radke, and you've got a chance," Buehrle told the paper. "But then you look at the rest of their roster and you really can't see them getting past the first round."
------------------------------------------------
This used to be fun and all, but nothing has come out of it. The Sox have been all talk and no walk. But in 2005 the sox shouldn't say anything about the twins until we dethrone their asses. Whenever that will be.

LASOXFAN
09-17-2004, 12:43 AM
It pains me deeply to say this, but this is the first year I don't see the Twins going one and done. They gave the Angels a better series than the yankmes in 2002 and I think that this year they will....(please god, make it not so)...make it to the WS. Santana and Radke ARE that good. They'll win a short series with those two. Santana is every bit of an ace as RJ or Schilling. If he goes twice in a 7 game series they need to find two more wins from Radke and the rest, and that's very doable. and these bastardos find a way to win late in the game and then shut you DOWN with Nathan (by the way Kenny, how good of a move was that, getting him and letting eddie go to seattle? Watch and learn you chump).

but i so hope i'm wrong