PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johnson passes Carlton on All Time K list

MRKARNO
09-15-2004, 11:15 PM
This seems to have totally gone by the wayside, but with his ninth strikeout tonight, Randy Johnson passed Steve Carlton for 3rd all time on the career strikeout list. He now has 4138 and counting. The 10th K of the game led to his 203rd multistrikeout game

How is this guy not the favorite Cy Young? I know he plays on a crappy team, but none of the trio of Pavano, Schmidt and Clemens have done anything to distinguish themselves from the pack. Johnson's K's, ERA and WHIP distinguish him from the pack. It looked like he was washed up and on the verge of retirement last year and this year he's back in form. Who knows how many more years he will be able to do this? Will he be able to stay on til 45+ like Ryan and eventually pass his record? Time will tell, but in the meanwhile, congrats to Randy Johnson!

thepaulbowski
09-16-2004, 09:16 AM
This seems to have totally gone by the wayside, but with his ninth strikeout tonight, Randy Johnson passed Steve Carlton for 3rd all time on the career strikeout list. He now has 4138 and counting. The 10th K of the game led to his 203rd multistrikeout game

How is this guy not the favorite Cy Young? I know he plays on a crappy team, but none of the trio of Pavano, Schmidt and Clemens have done anything to distinguish themselves from the pack. Johnson's K's, ERA and WHIP distinguish him from the pack. It looked like he was washed up and on the verge of retirement last year and this year he's back in form. Who knows how many more years he will be able to do this? Will he be able to stay on til 45+ like Ryan and eventually pass his record? Time will tell, but in the meanwhile, congrats to Randy Johnson!

Right or wrong, he's not a Cy Young candidate because of his record.

MRKARNO
09-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Right or wrong, he's not a Cy Young candidate because of his record.
Record has to be the absolute worst way to evaluate pitchers.

Foulke You
09-16-2004, 04:12 PM
What I want to know is who is going to get Johnson in the offseason. I have a feeling the D'Backs will move him before the start of the '05 season.

thepaulbowski
09-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Record has to be the absolute worst way to evaluate pitchers.
:duck:

Don't shoot the messenger....just stating why he won't win. :smile:

nodiggity59
09-16-2004, 04:35 PM
What I want to know is who is going to get Johnson in the offseason. I have a feeling the D'Backs will move him before the start of the '05 season.
Kenny, you know what to do.

MRKARNO
09-16-2004, 05:09 PM
:duck:

Don't shoot the messenger....just stating why he won't win. :smile:
I wasn't blaming you, just kinda venting. I still think Randy has a shot, especially if he keeps this up and if Pavano, Schmidt or Clemens dont distinguish themselves. It's looking like Schmidt will still have the best chance to win if he can get back on track, but if not, RJ might win.