PDA

View Full Version : Rauch returns, wins

jeremyb1
09-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Jon Rauch came back from his back injury today with three scoreless innings in relief of Tomo Ohka (also returning from injury) and picked up the win.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Just wondering...

And your point is?

He still sucks.

Lip

OurBitchinMinny
09-15-2004, 11:35 PM
rauch blows. I dont care if he turns out to be a serviceable pitcher (which he wont). What he did this year was just stupid. hes a moron and a bad pitcher

balke
09-16-2004, 02:38 AM
Jon Rauch came back from his back injury today with three scoreless innings in relief of Tomo Ohka (also returning from injury) and picked up the win.
I'm more interested that Ohka's back. Had he not been injured, he may have been a white sox player.

jeremyb1
09-16-2004, 03:57 AM
First of all, there was a thread for each of Rauch's first two starts and I don't remember the poster who started the thread being attacked then. I didn't provide any commentary here, just factual information.

Secondly, can we do a little better than "Rauch blows" and "Rauch sucks"? I'd like to think that everyone that posts on this board is above resulting to such language without any support behind their claim.

balke
09-16-2004, 04:34 AM
First of all, there was a thread for each of Rauch's first two starts and I don't remember the poster who started the thread being attacked then. I didn't provide any commentary here, just factual information.

Secondly, can we do a little better than "Rauch blows" and "Rauch sucks"? I'd like to think that everyone that posts on this board is above resulting to such language without any support behind their claim.
I appreciated the update, I was being serious though, I'm more interested in Ohka. :D:

Go Rauch, let the countdown to DL begin!

Baby Fisk
09-16-2004, 09:11 AM
:threadblows:

doublem23
09-16-2004, 09:39 AM
No support behind their claim? Were have you been the last 3 years?

Rauch blows.

kittle42
09-16-2004, 12:57 PM
No support behind their claim? Were have you been the last 3 years?

Rauch blows.
Amen.

By the way, I was shocked when I saw who started the thread.

jeremyb1
09-16-2004, 01:09 PM
This thread is really classless and dissapointing to me.

Where were the "this thread blows/sucks" posts in these threads about Rauch:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39017&highlight=rauch

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38921&page=3&pp=15&highlight=rauch

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38560&highlight=rauch

So when someone else starts the thread it's "Best of luck to Jon" and when I start it it's "this thread blows" and "I'm not suprised who started it".

Randar68
09-16-2004, 01:12 PM
That makes 2 of us. With popularity, this site's "Idiot Factor" has increased 10-fold...

jeremyb1
09-16-2004, 01:15 PM
That makes 2 of us. With popularity, this site's "Idiot Factor" has increased 10-fold...

Randar, your civility is always appreciated by myself and others I'm sure. Thank you.

nodiggity59
09-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Randar, jeremy's points are well taken but still, we need to stop following this guy.

Randar68
09-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Randar, your civility is always appreciated by myself and others I'm sure. Thank you.
It's hard for me to say I'm always "civil", lol, but some people earn that civility while other people I'll stand first in line to call a spade a spade.

I don't always agree with you jeremy, but you've always been classy and respectful, especially about the players.

Randar68
09-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Randar, jeremy's points are well taken but still, we need to stop following this guy.Ummmmmm, he was our #1 prospect, the #1 prospect in baseball, a guy who had a severe shoulder injury, and we traded him. Sorry, but people can follow Olivo but not Rauch? Or the Colon-love-affair on the other board?

No offense, nodiggity, but if all someone can do is take a personal shot at a guy who may have ruined a shining career because of the Sox' mishandling of him, and was traded within the last 6 months????

Absolutely classless. With fans like some of the shmucks here, who needs enemies?

Besides, jeremy didn't even MAKE a point, simply posted an update on a recently traded and injured player, in the "Talking Baseball" board, where it belongs...

Sheeesh.

Flight #24
09-16-2004, 01:32 PM

Where were the "this thread blows/sucks" posts in these threads about Rauch:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39017&highlight=rauch

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38921&page=3&pp=15&highlight=rauch

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38560&highlight=rauch

So when someone else starts the thread it's "Best of luck to Jon" and when I start it it's "this thread blows" and "I'm not suprised who started it".
I believe jeremy, that you're the unfortunate victim of the rampant re-posting & baseless KW bashing (which I'd separate from thoughtful KW bashing) going on. Nothing wrong with posting about Rauch, especially not in "Talking Baseball".

fuzzy_patters
09-16-2004, 01:52 PM
I believe jeremy, that you're the unfortunate victim of the rampant re-posting & baseless KW bashing (which I'd separate from thoughtful KW bashing) going on. Nothing wrong with posting about Rauch, especially not in "Talking Baseball".
Yeah, because jeremy never reposts the same stuff over and over again.

jeremyb1
09-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Randar, jeremy's points are well taken but still, we need to stop following this guy.

Randar pretty much hit the nail on the head. Identical threads were started for Rauch's first three outings and his trip to the DL and no one received this flak. Several threads about Olivo's performance have been created and just recently a thread about Reed's call up was posted. It's not like this is some new practice. Is the problem that I'm the one who started the thread, that Rauch pitched well, a combination of the two, or something else? People frequently keep tabs on former players and this is the general baseball section and not the Sox forum. I just don't see the problem.

Also, if it was his thirtieth outing with the Expos, I wouldn't start a thread but it was his third and his first back from the DL so I think it's relevant.

jeremyb1
09-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Yeah, because jeremy never reposts the same stuff over and over again.

I very, very rarely start threads so if I post the same points often it's because others are bringing up similar arguments and players often so I'm forced to respond. What are you trying to say that there wouldln't be any KW criticism if I didn't post on this board? I'm not sure I posted once in the thread about the new pitching staff in the Sox forum. If I did and I made an argument similar to one I've made in the past, wouldn't that make sense? I'm sure others have done the same thing dozens of times. If we're still debating the same issues, the same arguments are going to come up. That's fine. It demonstrates consistency which I think is valuable. It's not the same as continously dragging up subjects no one wants to talk about.

RichFitztightly
09-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Well, I'll at least try to get back on the Rauch topic. I have absolutely no idea how this guy gets anybody out in the big leagues. I watched him up close and I have all the confidence in the world that I could be a .200 hitter against him and I haven't played baseball competively since highschool. His fastball has no movement, it just comes down at a steeper angle. His breaking pitch is mediocre at best. I honestly don't know how he does it.

kittle42
09-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Absolutely classless. With fans like some of the shmucks here, who needs enemies?
I am a classless schmuck.

MRKARNO
09-16-2004, 04:05 PM
As far as Rauch is concerned, we did a good thing in trading him. So far, I dont believe that anyone who has had a torn labrum has successfully come back from surgery to mount a successful MLB campaign. No reason to take that risk. Instead we get a stop-gap RFer in Everett, who is probably more valuable to the White Sox than a recovering torn-labrum pitcher. I wish Jon all the best in his comeback from the surgery, but it was a risk that the White Sox don't need to take.

nodiggity59
09-16-2004, 04:18 PM
jeremy-

As for not jumpimg all over the others, that is b/c this thread was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Not all threads are created equal, even if they have similar subjects. The first pointless Rauch thread to come up bothered me, but not greatly. Subsequent threads have raised the level of annoyance to the point where people like myself have felt compelled to say something.

kittle42
09-16-2004, 04:58 PM
...Ray Durham was 0-5 today and struck out once.

MRKARNO
09-16-2004, 05:10 PM
...Ray Durham was 0-5 today and struck out once.
Sosa had 2 home runs including a Grand Slam. Damnit Kenny!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-16-2004, 05:43 PM
I'm pissed off we never get any Scott Eyre updates.

:cool:

jeremyb1
09-16-2004, 06:14 PM
jeremy-

As for not jumpimg all over the others, that is b/c this thread was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Not all threads are created equal, even if they have similar subjects. The first pointless Rauch thread to come up bothered me, but not greatly. Subsequent threads have raised the level of annoyance to the point where people like myself have felt compelled to say something.

Well that seems like a pretty indiscrimnate attack to me then. If you have serious issues with threads being started in this forum on the performance of former players, you might as well take a prominent stand against all of those types of threads at once. It'd be more reasonable and effective in my opinion.

jeremyb1
09-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Well, I'll at least try to get back on the Rauch topic. I have absolutely no idea how this guy gets anybody out in the big leagues. I watched him up close and I have all the confidence in the world that I could be a .200 hitter against him and I haven't played baseball competively since highschool. His fastball has no movement, it just comes down at a steeper angle. His breaking pitch is mediocre at best. I honestly don't know how he does it.

Yeah, his stuff hasn't looked good when I've seen him recently but it could always be a bad day. The best explanation I can come up with for his success with less than overpowering stuff is that all the way back in '00, prior to his injury, it was said that his most impressive skill was the fact that he knew how to pitch.

Daver
09-16-2004, 06:16 PM
I'm pissed off we never get any Scott Eyre updates.

:cool:
I think he's pumping gas in Missoula......

doublem23
09-16-2004, 07:18 PM
1-2 with a 4.56 ERA with San Francisco.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=113961

Ahhh... How could we give this guy away!?!?!?!?

Lem_Siddons
09-17-2004, 04:23 AM
Of course he's going to do well. It always seems to happen to us. I'm kindof shocked that Koch didn't produce a 1.2 ERA and run off a series of saves.

I'm not certain how much we really mishandled Rauch, there are so many paths to MLB and often it is a guess as much as science. There was a lot of pressure on all the pitchers in the system early in the season to step up and be the next Dontrell Willis and propel the team to post season. The revolving door 5th starter would have been a great Greek Comedic Tragedy if it had happened to the nort' side.

jeremyb1
09-19-2004, 01:45 AM
So to hopefully avoid some ire, I'm just going to update this thread. Rauch pitched another three scoreless innings tonight to lower his NL ERA to 1.6.

balke
09-19-2004, 04:45 AM
So to hopefully avoid some ire, I'm just going to update this thread. Rauch pitched another three scoreless innings tonight to lower his NL ERA to 1.6.
My word. You think there's any way we can trade for this guy? Maybe Contreres for Rauch? I think this kid has a future.

I'm sorry, unfair jabs. while the Rauch is incredible thread goes, someone should keep a countdown thread to his next injury. 2 starts so far, come on Jon.

"Kenny takes too many risks".

"I can't believe he let go of Rauch."

fsphog
09-19-2004, 09:40 AM
someone should keep a countdown thread to his next injury.

and injuries are always the players fault - esp. since the nardi contreras era.

MRKARNO
09-19-2004, 09:44 AM
It's nice to see he's doing well in the sense that it gives hope to all torn labrum sufferers everywhere that there is a hope for the future.

I'll repeat: The White Sox did good by not taking the risk on him and getting a stopgap between Maggs and Brian Anderson for Right Field.

beckett21
09-19-2004, 09:57 AM
So to hopefully avoid some ire, I'm just going to update this thread. Rauch pitched another three scoreless innings tonight to lower his NL ERA to 1.6.#$%*#%$#*! :redneck

Thanks for the update. Doesn't bother me a bit, especially since this is the *Talking Baseball* Forum.

In my opinion the reason there is so much flack about Rauch is that he is one of the posterboys for what has gone wrong with this franchise and player development of late. Of course his injury probably has everything to do with his problems, but people will always look at him as a colossal bust with the Sox. Not to mention the little *incident* earlier this season. A lot of people here have an axe to grind with big Jon, whereas someone like Olivo was universally liked. With all the rumors about Jon's attitude and personality off the field, many people just do not like him and never will.

I defended Rauch before and will continue to pull for him. After this season, when he allegedly *quit* on his team, (A quitter? On THIS team? Imagine that!) he was never going to get a fair shake in this town. That was never my view, however. Hopefully he will find his success.

A. Cavatica
09-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks for starting the thread, jeremyb1! I was wondering when/if he'd be back, and how he would do. (People, if you weren't, what are you doing reading this thread?)

I'll add another reason why it's important that we keep following Rauch, Reed, and all our other prospects that were traded away: because trades elicit more debate than anything. We have people who hate trading prospects, we have people who hate prospects and just want experience, we have people who are willing to trade prospects to get us over the hump in a pennant race, and we have people who are generally in favor of the last approach but think that KW should be bound and duct-taped about a month before the trading deadline.

I have news for all of you: the best way to settle ALL of these questions is to follow how the prospects do after we trade them.

I, personally, doubt that Rauch would ever have succeeded with the White Sox, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to mis-handling, how much is due to injury, and how much is due to overrating him when he was a minor leaguer. Just so my personal bias is clear, I hope he succeeds, because I follow our minor-league teams and I want to see evidence that minor-league numbers are meaningful. (If Rauch turns out well, it also means the organization screwed up, but that's not why I root for him.)

Lip Man 1
09-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Randy Johnson is 'The Big Unit.' Jon Rauch is 'The Big Eunuch.' No stones at all on him.

He's also pitching for a last place team with absolutely no pressure on him. When he needed to pitch well earlier this year against the Angels what happened?

Lip

minastirith67
09-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Randy Johnson is 'The Big Unit.' Jon Rauch is 'The Big Eunuch.' No stones at all on him.

He's also pitching for a last place team with absolutely no pressure on him. When he needed to pitch well earlier this year against the Angels what happened?

Lip

:cheers:

Well said. I'm so glad the Rauch lovefest is over for most...it's a shame some still can't get his dreamy face out of their heads.

Rauch blows. Good riddance.

:neener: