PDA

View Full Version : Minnie Statue to be unveiled this Sunday!

ewokpelts
09-15-2004, 07:44 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20040915&content_id=859160&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp

Gene

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-15-2004, 07:58 PM
It's nice to know they're finally doing something like this for the players. I thought they were only going to build a Comiskey statue because of the ballpark's name change. Who do you guys think will be next? It'd be cool if it was a 2 player statue of fox and apraricio

ewokpelts
09-15-2004, 08:08 PM
It's nice to know they're finally doing something like this for the players. I thought they were only going to build a Comiskey statue because of the ballpark's name change. Who do you guys think will be next? It'd be cool if it was a 2 player statue of fox and aprariciothey should make more statues/sculptures of past eras....however..they shoLD have them in and around bridgeport, as well as inside/outside the park.
Gene

shagar69
09-15-2004, 08:27 PM
this is a great idea. kudos to the sox on this one!

The Critic
09-15-2004, 08:29 PM
What kind of ballplayer was Minoso?

I never saw him in his prime, so I have no recollection of him as a player.

Anyone who saw him in his heyday, what did he bring to the game? Speed? Defense? "Intangibles"?

Thanks in advance for the info.

GregoryEtc
09-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Who do you guys think will be next?
An in-action statue of Paul Konerko running to first.... it will be so lifelike!

misty60481
09-15-2004, 09:18 PM
I saw Minnie play many times he had power, speed, & good baseball instncts. He swung hard but had bat control..he acted like every ball game was fun a lot of enthusiasm....

MikeW
09-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Although I never saw Minnie in his prime, he could hit the ball to all fields, never missed the cutoff man, could bunt,steal bases and hit for power. From what I have read, Minnie was the poor man's Willie Mays. Plus the fact he loved to play and proved it by playing as a regular in the Mexican League into the early 1970's.

idseer
09-16-2004, 06:21 AM
no disrespect to minnie cause he's very worthy of his accolades, but i think he's an odd choice for the teams first player statue. i can think of at least 8 other players and a manager that should be in front of him.

DrCrawdad
09-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Although I never saw Minnie in his prime... Plus the fact he loved to play and proved it by playing as a regular in the Mexican League into the early 1970's.

I remember Minnie "playing" with the Sox in 1976 and then again in 1980. A cunning stunt by Veeck.

hsnterprize
09-16-2004, 07:20 AM
no disrespect to minnie cause he's very worthy of his accolades, but i think he's an odd choice for the teams first player statue. i can think of at least 8 other players and a manager that should be in front of him. If it were up to me, I'd build statues for all the players whose numbers are retired. They'd be placed outside the main gate in a "ring of honor" style the main doors behind home plate. Obviously, each player whose number is retired would not only have their number displayed in the park, but a statue of that player would be revealed outside the place.

eriqjaffe
09-16-2004, 09:48 AM
If it were up to me, I'd build statues for all the players whose numbers are retired. They'd be placed outside the main gate in a "ring of honor" style the main doors behind home plate. Obviously, each player whose number is retired would not only have their number displayed in the park, but a statue of that player would be revealed outside the place.

Be sure to include Joe Jackson to the list, since he never had a number to retire...and was probably the greatest pure hitter ever to wear a Sox uniform.

Yorke97
09-16-2004, 11:26 AM
True. Jackson MUST be honored with a statue. He''ll never get in the hall of Fame, will never have his number retired at least this way he will be acknowleged by the organization. I favor the statues on the concourse, but I think it's stupid that Comiskey facing away from the playing field. Anyone know where Minnies statue will be?

SaltyPretzel
09-16-2004, 11:36 AM
but I think it's stupid that Comiskey facing away from the playing field.
He can't bear to watch?

pinwheels3530
09-16-2004, 11:42 AM
True. Jackson MUST be honored with a statue. He''ll never get in the hall of Fame, will never have his number retired at least this way he will be acknowleged by the organization. I favor the statues on the concourse, but I think it's stupid that Comiskey facing away from the playing field. Anyone know where Minnies statue will be?

By the fan deck on the main concourse left field side.

Tekijawa
09-16-2004, 11:46 AM
no disrespect to minnie cause he's very worthy of his accolades, but i think he's an odd choice for the teams first player statue. i can think of at least 8 other players and a manager that should be in front of him.
Are any of them still alive and want to be associated with this team (Fisk)?

Lip Man 1
09-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Here's a brief historical take on 'Minnie.' The man was a hell of a ballplayer!

Acquired April 30, 1951 as part of a three team deal with Kansas City and Cleveland...

Homered in his first Sox at bat off the Yankees Vic Raschi...

Played 12 years for the Sox in five different stints...

Six time Sox All Star. Hit .460 (6 hits, 13 at bats, 2 RBI's while wearing the Sox uniform at those games)...

The Sporting News Rookie Of The Year 1951...

Led A. L. in stolen bases 51-52-53...

Nicknamed the 'Cuban Comet'...

Sox first black player...

Part of the 'Go Go Sox'...

Hit over .300 eight times!...

Led A. L. in triples numerous times...

Gold Glove winner...

Lip

eriqjaffe
09-16-2004, 02:09 PM
I think Minoso is a terrific choice for a statue. If there's anybody out there who might be thought of as "Mr. Sox", it would be Orestes Minoso.

I'd also like to see a statue honoring Aparicio & Fox (preferably together, maybe something along the lines of the "1959" wallpaper in the photo gallery).

Also, a statue of Ribbie & Roobarb. That'd be sweet!

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-19-2004, 08:56 PM
The statue's very nice and they had a real nice ceremony with the man himself. Da mayer even made Sept. 19 Minnie Minoso day in chicago. I wonder if kids will get school off for that. :D:

TornLabrum
09-19-2004, 10:51 PM
What kind of ballplayer was Minoso?

I never saw him in his prime, so I have no recollection of him as a player.

Anyone who saw him in his heyday, what did he bring to the game? Speed? Defense? "Intangibles"?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Let's put it this way. He came up to stay at age 28. Bill James once back projected his stats and concluded that he would have finished his career with over 3000 hits. Remember, the guy was a star in the Negro Leagues before he signed with the Indians and languished in their farm system until the Sox picked him up.

In other words, the only thing keeping him out of the HOF is the racial discrimination he faced until he was 28 years old.

TornLabrum
09-19-2004, 10:51 PM
I saw Minnie play many times he had power, speed, & good baseball instncts. He swung hard but had bat control..he acted like every ball game was fun a lot of enthusiasm....
He also consistently led the league in HBP.

BarbG
09-19-2004, 11:55 PM
I had the extreme pleasure of seeing him play in '76. I also remember his years of coaching.

Almost 82 years old, bless his heart. I got a little choked up myself.

mike squires
09-20-2004, 01:48 PM
I got the last day at Old Comiskey out the other day and enjoyed watching Minnie take the line up card to home plate. He is always so accomodating at Soxfest too. Good guy.

maurice
09-20-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm a regular guy, the same guy since 1951 to now. Baseball has been very, very good to me and this organization was very, very good to me. I love it, I respect it. . . . What more could I want? It's not money, it's the love and the respect. That's what makes a human being happy and I'm happy, very happy.

I said [to the statue], "Look buddy, now I've got to go, but you've got to stay here for quite a while." [The statue] always smiles like I used to be, no change in his smile, because those people gave me the love to smile. [I said to the statue], "I want you to give love back and smile."

If God takes me tomorrow, I'm happy. You know why? Because they have me here. Everybody can't be there. How many ballplayers are in the Hall of Fame but they don't have a statue in the ballpark? That's my Hall of Fame.
Link (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/203sd9.htm)

The Critic
09-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Thanks, guys, for the insight and stats on Minnie.
He was truly a great ballplayer.

Railsplitter
09-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Why not have a Comiskullar art gallery? How about a statue of Billy Pierce where the mound was at the old park? (if feasable) In the covered area of the lower deck whay not some paintings? One of the old park would be nice and instead of a statue, why not a life-sized oil painting of Nellie and Louie?

GoSox2K3
09-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Did you see the latest press release from the Sox? In case you can't find the article, here's a copy of it:

White Sox Announce Another New Set of Sculptures

CHICAGO --

The Chicago White Sox today announced yet another round of sculptures to be unveiled by the team over the next few years. This announcement comes just days after the White Sox unveiled a statue of the great Minnie Minoso as the first in a series of statues inside U.S. Cellular Field honoring former Sox greats. This new round of sculptures will be located in the parking lot just north of the ballpark - the former grounds of old Comiskey Park - and will be titled "White Sox Monuments to Stupidity".

This series of 5 sculptures will highlight five pivital actions taken by current team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and his staff that have helped make the Sox into the team they are today. Three of the sculptures will encircle old homeplate in the parking lot with a statue of Reinsdorf placed on top of homeplate itself. The sculptures are as follows:

- I Want My SportsVision TV! This will be a sculpture of a 1980s era TV set with a pay-TV decoder box on top. This will honor the Sox visionary move from free TV to a $20/month subscription service called SportsVision that dramatically increased the team's following nationwide and put teams such as the Cubs that kept games on free TV at a competitive disadvantage.

- Curious Young Fans. This will be a statue of 3 fans ages 6 to 25 - all wearing Cub caps - looking curiously up at an empty broadcast booth (which will be suspended from the ramp structure just behind old homeplate. This will represent the dumping of Harry Caray in 1982 and the fans will represent an entire new generation of Chicagoans - originally destined to become Sox fans - who grew up as die-hard Cub fans thanks to Harry's popularity.

- Gas Pump. This sculpture of a gas pump will represent the Sammy Sosa-for-George Bell trade made in 1992 and reflects the notion that Bell has been pumping gas somewhere for the last 10 years while Sosa has spent the last 6+ years turning just about every youngster within a 300 mile radius of Chicago into a Cub fan.

- The fourth sculpture will be titled Building for the Future and will bear a striking resemblance to the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, Va. In this sculpture, 6 White Sox players (representing the 6 acquired in the famous July 31, 1997 trade with San Francisco) struggle to hoist a white flag. The sculpture will have a real white flag attached. The artist has decided to replace Keith Foulke in this sculpture with Billy Koch to represent the fact that the Sox gave up on Foulke in 2003 and traded him for Billy Koch. The Sox went on to finish a few games out of first in 2003 while Foulke notched 43 saves and won the "Rolaids Relief Man" award for Oakland.

- The final sculpture will be located in the northeast corner of the parking lot and will be titled Progress. This sculpture will depict old Comiskey Park's scoreboard with a wrecking ball slamming into it. To the left of this sculpture will be miniature depictions of Fenway Park and Wrigley Field representing the old ballpark tradition that the White Sox got rid of forever and to the right of the sculpture will be depictions of Camden Yards and Pac Bell Park representing the popular retro style of new stadiums rejected by the White Sox.

In a press release today, the White Sox said that the sculptures will be added one per year for the next five years and will be funded by private donations. Funding will not come from the $68 million naming rights deal with U.S. Cellular which was necessitated by the White Sox failure to build their new stadium right in the first place. "This will be a great addition to our ballpark", said Reinsdorf proudly today in reaction to this project. "Our marketing surveys have shown that fans want more attractions around the ballpark and this will be a more than adequate response to that request." The official unveiling of the first sculpture is scheduled for Monday October 4 and will be attended by Sox favorites such as Hawk Harrelson and Southpaw the mascot. Former mascots Ribbie and Rhubarb will come out of retirement to make a special appearance for this occasion. Mayor Richard M. Daley will attend and will declare Monday October 4, 2004 as "White Sox Stupidity Day" in Chicago. Music at the ceremony will not be provided by Nancy Faust since marketing surveys have told Sox management that most Sox fans say that "she stinks." Instead, the Sox stadium DJ will be on hand to play the loud pop music and wacky sound effects that have turned U.S. Cellular Field into a 'mecca' for young baseball fans nationwide.