PDA

View Full Version : G bye Herb

oldcomiskey
10-06-2001, 10:46 AM
I know he had a tender hammy all year--but he still deserves a better fate--maybe he too will badmouth the Sox after hes gone---I reallly cant blame him as he is the only one I can think of who will leave or has left that has a legit gripe

CerberusWG
10-06-2001, 10:55 AM
This is what happens to about 90% of career minor leaguers anyways. Crede will finally play 3B, hooray!

oldcomiskey
10-06-2001, 10:59 AM
Im not saying Crede shouldnt be here---he just wasnt ready in 01--and Herb Perry didnt play like a minor leaguer in 00---and what if oung Joe is a bust--and dont say he wont be--you do not know---then what

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
This is what happens to about 90% of career minor leaguers anyways. Crede will finally play 3B, hooray!

Perry wasn't blocking Crede's path; Valentin was. Manuel couldn't afford leaving Jose's bat out of the line up but he couldn't have $4 million of the boss's money sitting on the bench either.

The solution? Clayton at SS, Valentin at 3B, Perry on the bench, and Crede at AAA. Manuel basically traded out Herbert Perry at 3B for Royce Clayton at SS. That hurt the team. Perry definitely deserved a better fate than this. He batted .308 with 185 total bases for us last year in just 109 games.

Crede will still be blocked from playing if Clayton is here next spring. (Unless you think KW plans to trade Manuel's "heart and soul of the team.")

czalgosz
10-06-2001, 02:16 PM
I still remember my reaction when this trade was made - I thought Konerko would go for a starting pitcher or a catcher, or that Perry would be gone. As it was, this team was all screwed up from the get-go. You had guys who deserved to be starting, like Perry, rotting on the bench, Clayton in the lineup every day, and no solution either at center-field or at catcher. The team was one-dimensional, with all the injuries, it took until July to put together a workable lineup. Frankly, I think it's a miracle that the team held together this long.