PDA

View Full Version : Flubs send $301,000 to wrong person

Paulwny
09-15-2004, 02:17 PM
From an article by Jon Heyman, Newsday

You can call me Sammy

I don't know if you heard, but the Tribune Company, which owns Newsday and pays my salary, accidentally deposited $301,000 in the account of Hartford Courant deliveryman Mark Guthrie rather than Cubs reliever Mark Guthrie. Considering how smart those guys are at headquarters, I cannot believe this could happen.
In an unrelated story, I am in the process of legally changing my name to Samuel Peralta Sosa.

Tekijawa
09-15-2004, 03:25 PM
How do the Cubs pay their players?

Guthrie was making 1.6 Million in 2003, I'm guessing that he didn't get much of a bump in pay for this season. I'm just guessing but he should be in the 33% tax bracket which means that After taxes he should make around $1,072,000. If this was an acutal one time deposit that would mean that they only Pay their players 3.56 times a year?!?!?

DumpJerry
09-15-2004, 05:20 PM

Guthrie was making 1.6 Million in 2003, I'm guessing that he didn't get much of a bump in pay for this season. I'm just guessing but he should be in the 33% tax bracket which means that After taxes he should make around $1,072,000. If this was an acutal one time deposit that would mean that they only Pay their players 3.56 times a year?!?!?Not their players, their paperboys.

I was a Tribune paperboy in 1975, that was before they owned the Flubs. If I had been a paperboy for them when they owned the Flubs, I would have changed my name to Mark Grace.:D:

Lem_Siddons
09-17-2004, 04:28 AM
By direct deposit :cool:

He may be responsible for his own taxes. He is probably paid as in independent contractor not an employee. So the club was making a payment to Guthrie, Inc. Then it could be quarterly payments.

Guthrie was making 1.6 Million in 2003, I'm guessing that he didn't get much of a bump in pay for this season. I'm just guessing but he should be in the 33% tax bracket which means that After taxes he should make around $1,072,000. If this was an acutal one time deposit that would mean that they only Pay their players 3.56 times a year?!?!?