PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Stupidity

Lip Man 1
09-14-2004, 06:14 PM
From the network that has brought you such sterling examples of journalism as:

Kid Rock performing during SportsCenter...

and the 'ultimate highlight' during SportsCenter...

now comes the ultimate in stupidity.

A mock trial before a 'jury' on which franchise has been 'cursed' more the Red Sox or Cubs.

It airs Friday.

Unbelievable.

Lip

Frankfan4life
09-14-2004, 06:45 PM
So, would the most accursed team be the winner or the loser? :?:

Who thought of this garbage?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Who thought of this garbage?
I don't know the answer for sure, but my guess would be either Berman or Hootie & the Blowfish.

:cool:

Frankfan4life
09-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Or John Cusack.

Daver
09-14-2004, 06:58 PM
This has Kenny Mayne written all over it.

Frankfan4life
09-14-2004, 07:21 PM
This has Kenny Mayne written all over it.You know I bet Michael Wilbon might have had something to do with this. At any rate, I'm kind of glad they're putting this on the air as it might rate as the most ridiculous show ever put on television. It's going to turn out to be a huge embarrassment for both teams.

balke
09-14-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm kind of glad they're putting this on the air.
Don't ever say that! hehe, playing with quotes is fun. :D:

zach23
09-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Since both of those franshises are so cursed and so many things have been done to break those curses in vain, MLB should just contract both of them and put them out of their misery.
At the very least, the rest of us all wouldn't have to endure the constant whining each season.

cubhater
09-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Both teams are cursed but the Cubs are mostly awful.

Curse winner=Boston

balke
09-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Both teams are cursed but the Cubs are mostly awful.

Curse winner=Boston
I think this thread is cursed.

SOXSINCE'70
09-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Declare it a tie and get it over with.:D: :D: :D: :D:

Tekijawa
09-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Declare it a tie and get it over with.:D: :D: :D: :D:
So nobody wins? They MUST be cursed!

bigfoot
09-15-2004, 04:05 PM
This has Kenny Mayne written all over it.
Isn't Mayne in Kuwait this week?

woodenleg
09-18-2004, 12:08 AM
I watched it for about five minutes, and all I can say is ...

:chunks

balke
09-18-2004, 12:10 AM

:puke
Maybe the show is cursed... like this thread.

Gosox1917
09-18-2004, 12:15 AM
I watched it off and on throughout some of the episode but couldn't stand to see who was worse. And that's all they were trying to prove: "Which team is worse?" They both suck.

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2004, 12:15 AM
Since both of those franshises are so cursed and so many things have been done to break those curses in vain, MLB should just contract both of them and put them out of their misery. :hawk That's a great concept. I luv it when you analyze.

dcb33
09-18-2004, 12:17 AM

:chunksCongratulations! I wasn't even able to watch this garbage for 2 minutes...
Biggest Curse in baseball? Chicago Cubs or Boston Red Cubs? Who cares!
Most tortured fans in baseball? Anyone that likes any of the other 28 teams who are needlessly subjected to this bull....

ESPN should just have their own rogue Cubs/Red Sox World Series after the real WS... then again, Peter Gammons would probably mess himself at the thought of that on BBTN so nevermind....

balke
09-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Congratulations! I wasn't even able to watch this garbage for 2 minutes...
Most tortured fans in baseball? Anyone that likes any of the other 28 teams who are needlessly subjected to this bull....

ESPN should just have their own rogue Cubs/Red Sox World Series after the real WS... then again, Peter Gammons would probably mess himself at the thought of that on BBTN so nevermind....The thought of Gammons messing himself is a lot less pleasant and a lot more graphic then the

:chunks

I'll try to block the image out of my head so I don't look like that guy. Do you think that guy is cursed?

TommyJohn
09-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Most tortured fans in baseball? Anyone that likes any of the other 28 teams who are needlessly subjected to this bull....POST OF THE WEEK!!

ESPN should just have their own rogue Cubs/Red Sox World Series after the real WS... then again, Peter Gammons would probably mess himself at the thought of that on BBTN so nevermind....

Didn't the USA today or some program do a simseries with the Cubs and
Red Sox last year? I seem to remember that.

dcb33
09-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Didn't the USA today or some program do a simseries with the Cubs and
Red Sox last year? I seem to remember that.
IIRC think ESPN Page 2 wrote their own fantasy World Series last year while the Marlins and Yankees were playing in the Series. It was as stupid, if not more so, than the "Trial" that aired last night.
I guess the story of how the small market Marlins beat the EVIL New York Yankees just wasn't enough, even though those morons spend half their time talking about how the big money Yankees are destroying baseball becuase it doesn't give the smaller teams a chance. Also, they would probably want you to disregard the fact that their fantasy World Series involves teams with the 2nd and 6th largest payroll in baseball....

LongLiveFisk
09-18-2004, 04:22 PM
While I don't believe in curses, if this must be discussed, it's interesting how the White Sox get left out of this completely (although that's probably a good thing). I mean, our last championship was in 1917, 1 year earlier than Boston and we do have the whole "Black Sox" scandal thing too. Just another oversight by ESPN and all the other sports tabloids.

I do, however, vote us unluckiest by a long shot. Who else has to play second fiddle to another team in their own town who has sucked for even longer? :o:

ma-gaga
09-18-2004, 05:35 PM
ESPN is falling into the toilet. Sportscenter has gone to hell, Baseball Tonight is unwatchable. NFL tonight with Michael Irvin is unwatchable. NBA tonight with Stephen A. Smith is unwatchable.

Thank god for hockey... er.

They still do very good job on their live Baseball broadcasts, and their NHL games are awesome. I still like their Sunday Night Football games as well, but it's just a matter of time before these bastions of pure sporting events get's turned into soap opera's and pre-arranged "story lines".

The worst though, is them giving screen time to: Kruk, Dibble, Stephen A. Smith, Michael Irvin (who's idea was this?!? I'd seriously turn off this drivel each time I see him on tv), Stewart Scott, David Justice, and a litany of other "contraversial" columnists and experts in the constant need to offend and create arguments...

ugh. Then there is their website. And their "premium" area, pretty much removing any good analysis for free. There is them buying up competeing websites. There's a ton of crap that just pisses me off about them, but without competetion they have free range to do this. ...

Thank god for "page 2". :gulp:

Lip Man 1
09-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Remember ma-gaga it's not about 'news,' it's about 'entertaining' the current youth generation. (unfortunately)

Lip

Baby Fisk
09-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Not to be outdone, the crack research team at FOX provided the following historical reference that was broadcast during the Saturday BoSox-Yankees game. Notice anything odd about this?

LONGEST STREAKS WITHOUT A WORLD SERIES
TEAM----LAST WON----YEARS
Chicago Cubs---1906--97
Chicago White Sox---1908--95
Boston Red Sox---1918--85
This was broadcast on national TV. Way to go, FOX!

Hangar18
09-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Do you know what was excellent about this? I was in a group of Minnesotans,
and I was the "tourist from chicago" and they were all asking WHY i hated the cubs and why we all didnt just get along. I had been in hour number 1 of explaining why WE HATE THEM, and how the MEDIA trumps up the losing, and the Cubs celebrate it, ..................when LO AND BEHOLD, what comes up on the TV? I laughed and POinted to the TV and said ........ DO YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN?? There is no possible way I couldve planned that any better.
NO WAY. it was so perfect. I turned at least 2 big twink fans (who also liked the cubs) onto the truth ....... and ive definitely planted the seed of distrust now. I was at a place in Hastings MN and surely was holding court.
I have pics to post sometime soon from that place ............

bigfoot
09-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Remember ma-gaga it's not about 'news,' it's about 'entertaining' the current youth generation. (unfortunately)

Lip
I guess that "E" in ESPN is the cover needed to provide the programming "in tune" with the demographic that the advertisers so covet: Pliable Wannabees