PDA

View Full Version : Frank Francisco goes to jail

Flight #24
09-14-2004, 10:16 AM
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Texas Rangers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=tex) reliever Frank Francisco (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7327) was arrested Monday night after he threw a chair into the right-field box seats, hitting two spectators in the head and leaving one with a broken nose, during a game against the Athletics.

Oakland police confirmed to ESPN that Francisco was arrested after the conclusion of the game. KGO Radio in San Francisco first reported the arrest Tuesday morning, adding that Francisco was charged with aggravated assault. The fan whose nose was broken, an unidentified woman, also suffered cuts to her face
Not sure what was said, but there's no excuse for flinging a chair in to the stands. This has to be about the dumbest thing I've hard of in baseball. Frank is likely in real hot water between the financial damages and likely MLB suspension (although I'm sure the MLBPA will fight any baseball penalties tooth and nail in the name of his "right to self expression").

OEO Magglio
09-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Not sure what was said, but there's no excuse for flinging a chair in to the stands. This has to be about the dumbest thing I've hard of in baseball. Frank is likely in real hot water between the financial damages and likely MLB suspension (although I'm sure the MLBPA will fight any baseball penalties tooth and nail in the name of his "right to self expression").How could kenny willliams trade a guy that can throw a chair that well? Sorry to make light out of a serious situation, this was a very dumb move by Francisco.

DrCrawdad
09-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Not sure what was said, but there's no excuse for flinging a chair in to the stands. This has to be about the dumbest thing I've hard of in baseball. Frank is likely in real hot water between the financial damages and likely MLB suspension (although I'm sure the MLBPA will fight any baseball penalties tooth and nail in the name of his "right to self expression").

Frankie, this is how it's done...
http://www.detnews.com/pix/2000/05/15/spoknight.jpg

Tekijawa
09-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Maybe they can trade for him so he can help take out the blue seats next year!

WSox8404
09-14-2004, 11:17 AM
They should suspend his ass for the rest of the year. Give me a break. If you are so tough of a guy, why do you have to throw a chair at a lady in the stands. Too bad I was not there to get hit by that chair. Could you imagine the lawsuit that is going to come? She may get something towards one million. Either way this guy is an idiot.

Kogs35
09-14-2004, 11:22 AM
On mike and mike they said that some of the rangers bailed fransisco out of jail

Tekijawa
09-14-2004, 11:56 AM
From the back of a White Sox ticket, which buying a ticket means you assume risk.

WARNING
The holder assumes all risk and danger incidental to the game, wether occuring prior to, durring or subsequent to th actuall playing of the game, including specifically (But not exclusivley), the danger of being injurred by thrown bats and thrown or batted balls, and agrees with CWS, Visitor, MLB their respective owners, shareholders, partners, agents, players officers, directors, contractors and employees are not liable for injuries resulting from such causes.

Sounds like he may have an "out" on a technicality here with a good lawyer? It stinks but this could be argued that she knew she was at risk for injury....

Baby Fisk
09-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Sounds like he may have an "out" on a technicality here with a good lawyer? It stinks but this could be argued that she knew she was at risk for injury...."Line one for you, Mr. Dershowitz."

Lip Man 1
09-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Francisco was not throwing the chair at the woman. He apparently was throwing it a one of the hecklers, hit him in the head and it bounced off and then struck the woman.

Lip

kittle42
09-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Francisco was not throwing the chair at the woman. He apparently was throwing it a one of the hecklers, hit him in the head and it bounced off and then struck the woman.

Lip
That's irrelevant. The injury to another would be deemed reasonably foreseeable.

California Sox
09-14-2004, 12:44 PM
From the back of a White Sox ticket, which buying a ticket means you assume risk.

WARNING
The holder assumes all risk and danger incidental to the game, wether occuring prior to, durring or subsequent to th actuall playing of the game, including specifically (But not exclusivley), the danger of being injurred by thrown bats and thrown or batted balls, and agrees with CWS, Visitor, MLB their respective owners, shareholders, partners, agents, players officers, directors, contractors and employees are not liable for injuries resulting from such causes.

Sounds like he may have an "out" on a technicality here with a good lawyer? It stinks but this could be argued that she knew she was at risk for injury....

This isn't going to help Francisco, the A's, the Rangers, or major league baseball. It's like that sign they put up in the locker room of the gym "We cannot be responsible for lost or stolen items." Actually, that's for a court to decide. Francisco injured this woman during the commission of a possible felony (assault) or at the very least a misdemeanor. Surely, the back of your ticket cannot be construed to give ballpark employees the right to assault you, because if it does I'm going to have to start being nicer to the "Miller Lite" guy at the Cell.

doublem23
09-14-2004, 01:09 PM

LipYou mean he threw a chair into a crowd and it hit someone other than who it was intended for? No ****.

Mickster
09-14-2004, 01:13 PM
"Line one for you, Mr. Dershowitz."
Dershowitz or no Dershowitz, nothing on the back of a ticket will eliminate anyone's potential liability in a situation such as this. They are all cooked and will all pay. The A's for not having enough security, the staduim authority (if there is one - or, the owner of ther stadium), the Rangers and Mr. Francisco individually. Everyone will be held jointly and severably liable for his stupid antics.

Flight #24
09-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Dershowitz or no Dershowitz, nothing on the back of a ticket will eliminate anyone's potential liability in a situation such as this. They are all cooked and will all pay. The A's for not having enough security, the staduim authority (if there is one - or, the owner of ther stadium), the Rangers and Mr. Francisco individually. Everyone will be held jointly and severably liable for his stupid antics.
One of the worst things about this(assuming no one's seriously hurt) is that while MLB will almost certainly suspend him, the MLBPA will almost certainly fight that suspension as blindly as they do anything else related to the players.

Baby Fisk
09-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Dershowitz or no Dershowitz, nothing on the back of a ticket will eliminate anyone's potential liability in a situation such as this. They are all cooked and will all pay. The A's for not having enough security, the staduim authority (if there is one - or, the owner of ther stadium), the Rangers and Mr. Francisco individually. Everyone will be held jointly and severably liable for his stupid antics.I agree Mickster that that's what SHOULD happen, but the American Justice system has been known for its occasional eccentricities.

Tekijawa
09-14-2004, 01:29 PM
I agree Mickster that that's what SHOULD happen, but the American Justice system has been known for its occasional eccentricities.Especially when it comes to professional athletes. I heard that there once was a Former Pro Running back that was accused of killing his ex-wife and her lover, and had no alibi but had a Bloody glove at his house and STILL got off with out any time in Jail! And how many times does Michael Irvin need to be caught with hookers and Cocaine before he serves any ammount of time?

Baby Fisk
09-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Especially when it comes to professional athletes. I heard that there once was a Former Pro Running back that was accused of killing his ex-wife and her lover, and had no alibi but had a Bloody glove at his house and STILL got off with out any time in Jail! And how many times does Michael Irvin need to be caught with hookers and Cocaine before he serves any ammount of time?"Dershowitz here. They may bleed, but you won't plead."

daveeym
09-14-2004, 01:32 PM
I agree Mickster that that's what SHOULD happen, but the American Justice system has been known for its occasional eccentricities. Oh please, worst case francisco is fried and everyone else gets off, mickster is probably much closer to the truth of what will really happened, well actually more like they all settle with her and probably the heckler too so it probably never goes to trial anyway.

inta
09-14-2004, 03:24 PM
suspend him from the game for life.
it's one thing to get into it with an idiot fan, but throwing a chair? that guys got serious mental problems.

the game's better off without him.

sox fans can heckle with the best of them, i'd hate to imagine my girlfriend or young nephew getting hit by a chair coz some millionaire couldnt ignore some drunk trash.

bigfoot
09-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Later reports descibed Doug Brocail as being the object of most of the harassment during the game. On the replay, one can see Brocail being restrained by a Rangers player/coach. Lots of yelling/finger pointing/"jo-mamas" etc. Then Francisco goes off with an Olympic chair toss.
~This all occurred in the Raider seating area known as the "Black Hole".
~Another example of MTV's "Boiling Point" gone terribly wrong? Is there about the "Black Hole" that has dark karma? Did Francisco forget that World Cup soccer does not start for a few weeks? Does his agent know Johnny Cochran's number?

Randar68
09-14-2004, 05:55 PM
suspend him from the game for life.
it's one thing to get into it with an idiot fan, but throwing a chair? that guys got serious mental problems.

the game's better off without him.

sox fans can heckle with the best of them, i'd hate to imagine my girlfriend or young nephew getting hit by a chair coz some millionaire couldnt ignore some drunk trash.
Oh please. Francisco's career earnings in major league baseball probably don't amount to 1 million dollars.

It was way out of bounds and he'll be suspended handily, but get real.

owensmouth
09-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Francisco was stupid to throw the chair, granted, but what was being thrown at him? The A's fans are notorious for throwing things on the field, up to and including mobile phones. All types of crap get thrown at the players. Remember, you're talking about a group of twenty year olds being assulted both verbally and physically. The A's have to be held partially responsible for this. The Rangers had asked for additional security personnel, byt the A's did nothing until after the event occurred.

inta
09-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Oh please. Francisco's career earnings in major league baseball probably don't amount to 1 million dollars.

It was way out of bounds and he'll be suspended handily, but get real.
lol, you get real.
i'll give you that he isn't a "millionaire" just yet, but he's got some definite net worth after last month.
but the guy deserves to burn for this. his rookie year and he breaks a female fans nose?

if some random tigers rookie chucked a chair at a female sox fan coz we jaw higginson to death, chicago would be calling for his head.

recklessly injuring a female fan? get the f out of the game.

fire4725
09-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Good. Jail is the place he should be. There is no excuse for purposely injuring a fan.

AnkleSox
09-14-2004, 11:13 PM

WARNING

While the long list of people who do not take responsibility kind of make this confusing, the disclaimer only mentions bats and balls, no chairs or any other objects.

DumpJerry
09-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Ok, the lawya is in........

You cannot collect for foreseeable incidents (i.e., those things listed on the ticket like balls, bats, etc that sometimes fly into the stands as a part of the game).

But............flinging a chair into the stands starts to get away from protected activity. In addition, the Rangers probably (and should) let him out to dry. It is beyond the scope of his employment to fling chairs at the fans. Therefore, the Rangers can tell him he's on his own. If he was a second baseman throwing to first to get a runner out, but throws the ball ten feet over the head of his first baseman and boinks a fan behind the dugout, he's protected since it is done in the performance of his job duties and was not done with malice.

There will be tremendous pressure on Francisco to settle before trial because MLB does not want a trial where the tape will be shown over and over and over. Also to fight it would be a huge PR mistake for MLB because they would be implying that you're at a high risk for a serious injury from nut case players. Of course, MLB is not the guy being sued, but they can exert pressure on him to do it their way.

How much can the woman collect? Dunno. If the court allows her to pursue punitive damages, then she can get a percentage of his net worth that will punish him. If not allowed to collect punis, she canstill go for her actual damages (medicals, lost wages, i.e.-actual losses). and compensatory for her mental anguish, pain and suffering. She would have to show that she was traumatized by experiencing having a chair flung at her face by someone without justification. The compensatory damages can be quite high, especially if she is very traumatized by doing something she has always gotten pleasure from (going to baseball games) and cannot do it any more.

I don't know California civil law, but my gut tells me she might be able to make a down payment to buy the White Sox from JR when it is all said and done.

Who do I bill for this legal opinion?:smile:

Randar68
09-15-2004, 09:54 AM
lol, you get real.
i'll give you that he isn't a "millionaire" just yet, but he's got some definite net worth after last month.
but the guy deserves to burn for this. his rookie year and he breaks a female fans nose?

if some random tigers rookie chucked a chair at a female sox fan coz we jaw higginson to death, chicago would be calling for his head.

recklessly injuring a female fan? get the f out of the game.
1) First time offender, he won't see jail time.
2) As an employee of the Rangers, MLB/MLBPA, and under the supervision of Oakland's security, do you really think he'll pay out of his pocket? Not likely.
3) He was defending a teammate, and while what he did was stupid, he'll be the most popular guy in the clubhouse.
4) If there was a giant brawl right in front of you and you just stand there instead of getting the **** out of the way, I have little sympathy. She was in the middle of the fracas until she got hit with the chair, at which point she just looked shocked.
5) If Sox fans were involved in this kind of behavior, sorry, but you're looking the wrong way if sympathy is what you're after.

Paulwny
09-15-2004, 10:22 AM

Lip
The husband claims that Francisco was not in the pen, but in the dugout. He doesn't think Francisco knew which fans were involved and believes he rushed out of the dugout grabbed the chair, tossing it, not caring whom he hit.

Flight #24
09-15-2004, 10:24 AM
2) As an employee of the Rangers, MLB/MLBPA, and under the supervision of Oakland's security, do you really think he'll pay out of his pocket? Not likely.
3) He was defending a teammate, and while what he did was stupid, he'll be the most popular guy in the clubhouse.
4) If there was a giant brawl right in front of you and you just stand there instead of getting the **** out of the way, I have little sympathy. She was in the middle of the fracas until she got hit with the chair, at which point she just looked shocked.
5) If Sox fans were involved in this kind of behavior, sorry, but you're looking the wrong way if sympathy is what you're after.
I just want to make sure I uinderstand you properly Randar - are you really saying that the woman is at all at fault here? The guy next to her is yelling at players and they're yelling back, and she's realistically supposed to get up & work her way out of the seating area past the other fans or else she should expect a chair to get flung?

I gotta disagree 10000% with you on this one. There's no excuse for Francisco's actions, and there's no blame on the lady, from what I've seen & read, she wasn't a participant, was just trying to mind her own business and watch the game.

Randar68
09-15-2004, 10:27 AM
I just want to make sure I uinderstand you properly Randar - are you really saying that the woman is at all at fault here? The guy next to her is yelling at players and they're yelling back, and she's realistically supposed to get up & work her way out of the seating area past the other fans or else she should expect a chair to get flung?

I gotta disagree 10000% with you on this one. There's no excuse for Francisco's actions, and there's no blame on the lady, from what I've seen & read, she wasn't a participant, was just trying to mind her own business and watch the game.
I'm not "Blaming" her. However, she was there standing in the middle of the hostile crowd that were active participants. In no way am I condoning his actions.

Broken nose and a cut on the face. People are acting like he stabbed her in the back. Sheesh. "Mental Anguish?"

This BS is why our society is so litigious. It's a JOKE!

Randar68
09-15-2004, 10:28 AM
The husband claims that Francisco was not in the pen, but in the dugout. He doesn't think Francisco knew which fans were involved and believes he rushed out of the dugout grabbed the chair, tossing it, not caring whom he hit.
LOL! Then maybe the husband took part of the blow from the chair. Francisco is a relief pitcher who was down in the BP...

inta
09-15-2004, 10:37 AM
5) If Sox fans were involved in this kind of behavior, sorry, but you're looking the wrong way if sympathy is what you're after. 1> i never said he would.
2> well i never mentioned anything about this. but i'm not a lawyer so who knows how a civil case would pan out. but i think that other guy already addressed this above.
3> i'm sure he will
4> give me a break. these things happen in the blink of an eye. nobody could've had the forsight to know that this moron would throw a chair into the crowd. and who goes to a baseball game with the attitude "i need to watch my back!"?
5> sympathy? huh? just pointing out that sox fans (just as most fans) are just as guilty of nasty ballbreaking of visiting teams.

this aint a "fan incident" pal, this is a moron jock with anger probs who shouldnt be playing the game in my book.

Flight #24
09-15-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm not "Blaming" her. However, she was there standing in the middle of the hostile crowd that were active participants. In no way am I condoning his actions.

Broken nose and a cut on the face. People are acting like he stabbed her in the back. Sheesh. "Mental Anguish?"

This BS is why our society is so litigious. It's a JOKE!From what I've seen/read, they were 2 rows up, so it's not like there was any physical stuff going on that she should have been watchful for. It was verbal until the chair came out.

I think a lot of the outcry isn't because of what her injuries actually were, it's because of what they could have been. She (or someone else) could easily have been much more severely hurt (fractured skull, eye damage, etc.). Combine that with simple fact that it was 100% Francisco's idiocy that escalated fan verbal abuse to player physical abuse and you have a lot of illwill and desire for retribution. This type of case is what punitive damages were designed for: to make an example that deters others from committing similar stupid, malicious acts.

Should she get a ton of $$$ - I'd probably argue no. But I do think that Francisco should have to pay a lot as a punishment for his ridiculous, dangerous, malicious act. I know there's a disconnect there, but I'd come down on the side of giving her more $$$ in order to send a message than penalizing Frank less because she doesn't "deserve" the amount.

Flight #24
09-15-2004, 10:44 AM
1>

this aint a "fan incident" pal, this is a moron jock with anger probs who shouldnt be playing the game in my book.
100% true. Until/unless someone shows that there were things being throw at the players, there's no call for a physical response. Players getting verbally harassed is part of the game, they get paid a pretty solid salary (even the rookies), and dealing with rowdy fans is just par for the course.

Even if things got thrown at them, it doesn't warrant a response other than to move, call security, and point out the guys throwing things. As a player, you NEVER go after fans.

Randar68
09-15-2004, 11:07 AM
LOL. Ok. If you insist. Roast him, burn him at the stake, life in jail without parole, ban him from baseball, therefore taking away his ability to earn a living!!!

dumb.

HITMEN OF 77
09-15-2004, 11:24 AM
I guess according to an interview on whitesox.com, Carl Everett talked about the Francisco incident and when he was hit in the head with a cell phone thrown from the upper deck at Oakland a while back when he was still with the Rangers. The guy who threw it was identified and CE pressed charges, but nothing ever happened.

mantis1212
09-15-2004, 11:27 AM
You sure aren't giving much credit to that clubhouse then. Defending a teammate from drunken heckles by throwing a chair into a crowd of paying customers? Yeah, I'd give him a high-five for that one. Thanks, buddy.

Randar68
09-15-2004, 11:33 AM
You sure aren't giving much credit to that clubhouse then. Defending a teammate from drunken heckles by throwing a chair into a crowd of paying customers? Yeah, I'd give him a high-five for that one. Thanks, buddy.
You're apparently clueless about clubhouse chemistry. Nobody is going to say what he did wasn't over the line, but he had his man's back. It took how many months to retalliate against Torii Hunter? Francisco was bailed out by his teammates.

Clueless.

Randar68
09-15-2004, 11:34 AM
100% true. Until/unless someone shows that there were things being throw at the players, there's no call for a physical response. Players getting verbally harassed is part of the game, they get paid a pretty solid salary (even the rookies), and dealing with rowdy fans is just par for the course.

Even if things got thrown at them, it doesn't warrant a response other than to move, call security, and point out the guys throwing things. As a player, you NEVER go after fans.
Apparently you missed the replay that showed absolute mayhem and physical interaction with the fans when the incident occurred...

Flight #24
09-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Apparently you missed the replay that showed absolute mayhem and physical interaction with the fans when the incident occurred...I saw that, but it was with the guys in the front row, not the guys 2 rows back. Pretty hard to reach down 2 rows and actually do anything more than flail.

Not to mention that with guys standing up & flailing, the safest thign for the lady was NOT to get up and be at the level of the guys who were "in the action".

inta
09-15-2004, 12:04 PM
LOL. Ok. If you insist. Roast him, burn him at the stake, life in jail without parole, ban him from baseball, therefore taking away his ability to earn a living!!!

dumb.

sheesh. so dramatic.

it think if most people threw a chair at their customers/clients and broke their nose they'd be promptly fired and have trouble finding new work coz of that reference and possible aggravated assault charges.
that's life. you pay for your mistakes.

why should this guy get coddled coz he's a sports "star"?

Randar68
09-15-2004, 12:07 PM
why should this guy get coddled coz he's a sports "star"?Do you have some kind of resentment issues with baseball players? It seems so from your posts you have a lot of anger towards them because they make a lot of money...

BTW, that was an absolutely useless analogy.

inta
09-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Do you have some kind of resentment issues with baseball players? It seems so from your posts you have a lot of anger towards them because they make a lot of money...

BTW, that was an absolutely useless analogy.
c'mon, you're starting to debate like a child.
unless you can prove you actually are, please come with some maturity and thought.

i have no resentment toward baseball players at all. what i do take issue with is how they're let off easily from mistakes anyone else is usually penalized for.
ie: throwing a chair at someone.

balke
09-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Baseball players are superhumans. They should be protected at all costs. If anyone should be sued here, it should be the fans, or possibly that chair. :D:

Randar68
09-15-2004, 01:21 PM
c'mon, you're starting to debate like a child.
unless you can prove you actually are, please come with some maturity and thought.

i have no resentment toward baseball players at all. what i do take issue with is how they're let off easily from mistakes anyone else is usually penalized for.
ie: throwing a chair at someone.
As a first time offender, what do you think your punishment would be as a normal citizen? Jail? Get real.

People hyperventilate when any public figure does something dumb, like they're not human.

Fired? Sure, meaning he could get a job with any other major league club. But if that demand is there, you sanction the guy, keep him, as he benefits your organization, and move on... Banned from baseball? Now you're just not thinking clearly/logically about this.

Randar68
09-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Baseball players are superhumans. They should be protected at all costs. If anyone should be sued here, it should be the fans, or possibly that chair. :D:
Ah yes. Every action results in an equal and opposite lawsuit. I forgot how our Amercian society rewrote the laws of physics...

Mickster
09-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Ah yes. Every action results in an equal and opposite lawsuit. I forgot how our Amercian society rewrote the laws of physics...
Who would you suggest pay for her medical bills? Who should pay for any time the woman possibly misses from work? :?:

Randar68
09-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Who would you suggest pay for her medical bills? Who should pay for any time the woman possibly misses from work? :?:
Misses time from work? Because of a broken nose? Maybe in a very few select professions, but I doubt it.

Medical bills? Isn't that what insurance is for? If she doesn't have any, then sure, they'll pay for it... No insurance company that I am aware of has a clause excluding people who've been hit by a chair or injured due to the actions of a baseball player.

I realize my opinion is unpopular, and it was an unfortunate occurrance due to a stupid mistake. But how reactionary are people being? Sue everyone, burn them at the stake, and ruin their lives, all over one relatively benign mistake?

Why do you think the cost of everything in this country is so damned high?

inta
09-15-2004, 02:19 PM
As a first time offender, what do you think your punishment would be as a normal citizen? Jail? Get real.

People hyperventilate when any public figure does something dumb, like they're not human.

Fired? Sure, meaning he could get a job with any other major league club. But if that demand is there, you sanction the guy, keep him, as he benefits your organization, and move on... Banned from baseball? Now you're just not thinking clearly/logically about this.
you're the only one saying anything about jail for whatever reason.
never heard of aggravated assault charges resulting in prison... but whatever.

of course the guy's human. that's why i'm saying he should be treated like any other human. most humans would lose their job over something like this.
punishment handed down by MLB... not the rangers.

spreewell got a year suspension for attacking his coach. this case far exceeds that. hell i'm happy with a year suspension for him. see how good that arm does him after a year off.

Randar68
09-15-2004, 02:25 PM
you're the only one saying anything about jail for whatever reason.
never heard of aggravated assault charges resulting in prison... but whatever.

of course the guy's human. that's why i'm saying he should be treated like any other human. most humans would lose their job over something like this.
punishment handed down by MLB... not the rangers.

spreewell got a year suspension for attacking his coach. this case far exceeds that. hell i'm happy with a year suspension for him. see how good that arm does him after a year off.
This case exceeds Latrell Spreewell choking his coach to the point of bruises?

Now I've heard it all.

So, you want him to lose his job, not with the Rangers, but with baseball in general, thus preventing him from gainful employment elsewhere in his field?

That's ridiculously greater punishment than "any other" human being would be subject to.

Mickster
09-15-2004, 02:27 PM
1. Misses time from work? Because of a broken nose? Maybe in a very few select professions, but I doubt it.

2. Medical bills? Isn't that what insurance is for? If she doesn't have any, then sure, they'll pay for it... No insurance company that I am aware of has a clause excluding people who've been hit by a chair or injured due to the actions of a baseball player.

3. I realize my opinion is unpopular, and it was an unfortunate occurrance due to a stupid mistake. But how reactionary are people being? Sue everyone, burn them at the stake, and ruin their lives, all over one relatively benign mistake?

4. Why do you think the cost of everything in this country is so damned high?
1. We don't know what she does for a living so she could possibly miss time.

2. I will address medical bills below.

3. I am not of the opinion of some here who would like Francisco banned from baseball, etc.

4. Costs of everything in this country are soo damned high partly because of instances and thinking like your #2 above. Why sould Blue Cross / Blue Shield (used as an example only) pay for her medical attention when it was caused by someone else. A particular group's medical premiums will increase oftentimes simply by the number of claims and the amounts associated with those claims.

There is such a concept as subrogation, where an insurance company (auto, health or otherwise) will pursue a claim against an individual even though a particular person does not. For example, if you get into an accident caused by someone who has no liability insurance, you can easily claim the accident under your own uninsured motorist policy. Your insurance company, however, will certainly sue the individual in a subrogation claim to recover any monies.

The same principles apply here. Why should her health insurance get stuck with the bill for Francisco's bone-headed antics?

Randar68
09-15-2004, 02:32 PM
1. We don't know what she does for a living so she could possibly miss time.

2. I will address medical bills below.

3. I am not of the opinion of some here who would like Francisco banned from baseball, etc.

4. Costs of everything in this country are soo damned high partly because of instances and thinking like your #2 above. Why sould Blue Cross / Blue Shield (used as an example only) pay for her medical attention when it was caused by someone else. A particular group's medical premiums will increase oftentimes simply by the number of claims and the amounts associated with those claims.

There is such a concept as subrogation, where an insurance company (auto, health or otherwise) will pursue a claim against an individual even though a particular person does not. For example, if you get into an accident caused by someone who has no liability insurance, you can easily claim the accident under your own uninsured motorist policy. Your insurance company, however, will certainly sue the individual in a subrogation claim to recover any monies.

The same principles apply here. Why should her health insurance get stuck with the bill for Francisco's bone-headed antics?I agree with the recovery of said moneys, but "damages" and liability claims that result in huge sum's of money being paid out far and above the costs of care are what drives healthcare costs and insurance up, not to mention the bureaucracy which raises the costs of pharmaceuticals and medical equipment. "Pain and sufferring?" Get real, people. It all comes back to us when this crap get's paid out. Just like baseball salaries, who do you think picks up the bill in the end?

They're going to end up paying for her medical care, but people insinuating she sue for large sums of money over a broken nose?

That's the root of the problem I have issue with.

Mickster
09-15-2004, 02:45 PM
I agree with the recovery of said moneys, but "damages" and liability claims that result in huge sum's of money being paid out far and above the costs of care are what drives healthcare costs and insurance up, not to mention the bureaucracy which raises the costs of pharmaceuticals and medical equipment. "Pain and sufferring?" Get real, people. It all comes back to us when this crap get's paid out. Just like baseball salaries, who do you think picks up the bill in the end?

They're going to end up paying for her medical care, but people insinuating she sue for large sums of money over a broken nose?

That's the root of the problem I have issue with.Theoretically, I couldn't agree with you more. Realistically, though, it is not the case. Part of the reason that "caps" with respect to damages in the American legal system are the hot political issue it the insurance companies and their lobby insists that massive lawsuit recoveries are the reasons for high insurance premiums, etc... This could be farther from the truth. In California, for example, "caps" exist and have done so for years with respect to medical malpractice claims. Recoveries for punitive damages are capped at $250K. After 10 years of "caps", the result in CA is a net 33% increase in physician's malpractice premuims over the national average!!! The insurance industry's claim is absurd.

maurice
09-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Why sould Blue Cross / Blue Shield (used as an example only) pay for her medical attention when it was caused by someone else.
A medical insurance carrier does not pay medical bills because it caused the injury. It pays medical bills because it is contractually obligated to do so and collected a hefty premium in return.

Her health insurance carrier will need to pay the bill, at least initially. However, the insurance company should be able to recover the money when she settles her claim against the Rangers. In other words, if her health insurance carrier does not get stuck with the bill, the Ranger's liability insurance carrier will get stuck with the bill.

I have a hard time getting worked up over which insurance company has to pay for the medical bills arising out of a broken nose.

never heard of aggravated assault charges resulting in prison
I don't think he'll be sentenced to anything more than the time he's already served, since he (presumably) has no criminal record, but aggravated assault typically is a felony. Folks are sentenced to prison terms for aggravated assault every day.

Mickster
09-15-2004, 02:47 PM
A medical insurance carrier does not pay medical bills because it caused the injury. It pays medical bills because it is contractually obligated to do so and collected a hefty premium in return.

Her health insurance carrier will need to pay the bill, at least initially. However, the insurance company should be able to recover the money when she settles her claim against the Rangers. In other words, if her health insurance carrier does not get stuck with the bill, the Ranger's liability insurance carrier will get stuck with the bill.

I have a hard time getting worked up over which insurance company has to pay for the medical bills arising out of a broken nose.
Read my #4 in the same post.

maurice
09-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Read my #4 in the same post.I did. Surely you're not claiming that forcing BC/BS to pay for a broken nose increases everybody's health insurance premiums, while simultaneously claiming in different post that multi-million dollar punitive damage awards never increase anybody's insurance premiums.

Soxzilla
09-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Later reports descibed Doug Brocail as being the object of most of the harassment during the game. On the replay, one can see Brocail being restrained by a Rangers player/coach. Lots of yelling/finger pointing/"jo-mamas" etc. Then Francisco goes off with an Olympic chair toss.
~This all occurred in the Raider seating area known as the "Black Hole".
~Another example of MTV's "Boiling Point" gone terribly wrong? Is there about the "Black Hole" that has dark karma? Did Francisco forget that World Cup soccer does not start for a few weeks? Does his agent know Johnny Cochran's number?
I wonder if we'll see the fabled chewbacca defense...

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lamdoo/pictures/bio/chewbacca.jpg

"Now, you see this! This...is CHEWBACCA! Chewbacca..is a wookie, a wookie fromt the planet ENDOR. ....Now THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE! Wookies don't come from ENDOR, they come from the planet Kashyyk, but chewbacca, is from ENDOR...

THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!"

Flight #24
09-15-2004, 03:02 PM
This case exceeds Latrell Spreewell choking his coach to the point of bruises?

Now I've heard it all.

So, you want him to lose his job, not with the Rangers, but with baseball in general, thus preventing him from gainful employment elsewhere in his field?

That's ridiculously greater punishment than "any other" human being would be subject to.
Just out of curiosity, what punishment would you deem "appropriate" for Francisco, and likewise, do you think the woman is due any compensation above and beyond her medical costs?

Mickster
09-15-2004, 03:09 PM
I did. Surely your not claiming that forcing BC/BS to pay for a broken nose increases everybody's health insurance premiums, while simultaneously claiming in different post that multi-million dollar punitive damage awards never increase anybody's insurance premiums.:?: Reading comprehension is a skill. You are using faulty logic. I am stating that multiple claims within a particular group's policy will increase insurance premiums for that particular group. Ask around. It is certainly not a "trick of the trade".

My other post deals with Randar's assertation that frivolous lawsuits cause premiums to increase and, therefore, the reduction of such suits will result in a reduction of premiums. My knowledge, based on numerous studies, indicates it does not.

This thread actually belongs in the roadhouse, but if it goes there, it will certainly be locked. :smile:

Randar68
09-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, what punishment would you deem "appropriate" for Francisco, and likewise, do you think the woman is due any compensation above and beyond her medical costs?Suspended for the rest of this year without pay is a pretty harsh penalty, IMO, it would be one of the longest suspension in the history of the game. How many games was Juan Marichal??? suspended for after swung a bat and hit another player in the head during a brawl? Surely nobody is suggesting this is a more serious incident than that, are they? That was just an 8 game suspension!

The woman is due medical costs and any loss of work time deserves compensation (although it is HIGHLY unlikely she misses any work). (obviously legal costs as well)

Pain and suffering? For a broken nose?

balke
09-15-2004, 03:53 PM
I know a woman who just punched somebody in the face, after being swung at. One punch, it was over.

She now faces a 3,000 dollar fine, with supervision. It will always be on her record, and there will be jobs she wants that she now cannot get.

Aggravated assault means you can't work with kids. She's is a psyche major, and wants to be a teacher (please save the psyche major jokes for another thread, believe me I've got a million myself).

I think baseball, like any other sport has a duty to serve to the fans, and the children who are watching the sport. When some ape throws a chair and breaks a woman's nose... that's a big deal.

That's not 2 weeks for kicking a photographer in the nads, or choking your coach, or throwing a chair onto the court. This is in essence an attack by a professional male athlete, on a defenseless woman.

The ape should be tossed for a season, let him dig around in japan for a year and think about it.

Randar68
09-15-2004, 03:57 PM
I know a woman who just punched somebody in the face, after being swung at. One punch, it was over.

She now faces a 3,000 dollar fine, with supervision. It will always be on her record, and there will be jobs she wants that she now cannot get.

Aggravated assault means you can't work with kids. She's is a psyche major, and wants to be a teacher (please save the psyche major jokes for another thread, believe me I've got a million myself).

I think baseball, like any other sport has a duty to serve to the fans, and the children who are watching the sport. When some ape throws a chair and breaks a woman's nose... that's a big deal.

That's not 2 weeks for kicking a photographer in the nads, or choking your coach, or throwing a chair onto the court. This is in essence an attack by a professional male athlete, on a defenseless woman.

The ape should be tossed for a season, let him dig around in japan for a year and think about it.
He didn't intentionally attack HER... this friend of yours intentionally punched this other woman. Is she up for felony, because I believe that is the only way she can be prevented from working. If she's risking losing future employment opportunities because of the action you described, as a first-time offender, then she might actually have had the worst lawyer in history.

balke
09-15-2004, 04:01 PM
He didn't intentionally attack HER... this friend of yours intentionally punched this other woman. Is she up for felony, because I believe that is the only way she can be prevented from working. If she's risking losing future employment opportunities because of the action you described, as a first-time offender, then she might actually have had the worst lawyer in history.
That's her worst case scenario/offer on the table before trial. She probably gets out of it. The only reason she might lose the case, is 3 friends of the victim were witnesses, as the assailant was by herself.

Jjav829
09-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Well Francisco might be lucky if he is only suspended for the rest of the year. He is in the U.S. on a work visa. If he is convicted, he could be deported and not allowed back into the U.S.

Way to ruin your career with one stupid moment.

balke
09-15-2004, 05:20 PM
http://www.mlbscoop.com/texas-rangers.php

Here's all the info.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/_photos/sports/091504f1_Fight.jpg

I think a pictures says a thousand words. The guys nuts to do this, send him back to where he came from. Reckless, dangerous, stupid, out of control.

Randar68
09-15-2004, 05:40 PM
http://www.mlbscoop.com/texas-rangers.php
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-rangers-fanfight&prov=ap&type=lgns

And this woman bought season tickets by the visitors bullpen so they could heckle opposing players? ***? These guys are heckled everywhere they go and you don't see them react like that, so some out-of-bounds things were certainly bantered about by these people... She and her husband were both part of the heckling crowd...

"Innocent lady?" as some have tried to paint her? Come on.

Classy.

balke
09-15-2004, 06:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-rangers-fanfight&prov=ap&type=lgns

And this woman bought season tickets by the visitors bullpen so they could heckle opposing players? ***? These guys are heckled everywhere they go and you don't see them react like that, so some out-of-bounds things were certainly bantered about by these people... She and her husband were both part of the heckling crowd...

Classy.
Should comedians be allowed to throw the mic at the crowd and break thier nose, just because they got heckled? Send this ape home. Memo: you're fired.

Randar68
09-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Should comedians be allowed to throw the mic at the crowd and break thier nose, just because they got heckled? Send this ape home. Memo: you're fired.
Another silly analogy. Any more you got there?

balke
09-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Another silly analogy. Any more you got there?
How's that silly, that is the exact thing. Being a baseball player doesn't give you free reign to lose control. You get heckled you deal with it. Corky didn't throw chairs when he got slammed.

maurice
09-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Reading comprehension is a skill.
Math is a skill too. You're out of your mind if you think nickel and dime health insurance claims have a substantial impact on premiums, while billions of dollars worth of damage awards have no effect at all. (Tell it to the asbestos industry.) She got a broken nose, not liver cancer. Broken noses are not an unexpected loss that would increase the premium on even an individual health insurance policy.

Your "number of claims" argument is equally ridiculous. Like I said, the health insurance carrier will need to process the claim in any event. Allowing them to recover the loss from a third-party carrier actually increases the number of claims dramatically.

Flight #24
09-15-2004, 08:12 PM

Classy.
Yeah, right. Not only should they not be heckling, but them MUST have crossed the line verbally and deserved being attacked physically. Sure.

Fans have a right to heckle. Players, if they want to, have the right to respond verbally. Neither side has the right to escalate to physical abuse, and like it or not, that especially goes for the players since their JOB is to entertain the fans.

inta
09-16-2004, 03:26 AM
oh man i'm going to second think ever buying tickets near left field whenever the tigers come to town so i can heckle bobby higginson for the 2000 fracas....

god forbid any fan try to give their team an advantage by heckling the visitors, especially a team in the pennant race with their home team.

kobe bryant got heckled FAR worse, all season, than the rangers players have ever seen. and he was able to move above it and play his game.

it's part of the game. you're visiting a playoff contestant, you're going to get heckled. laugh it off and shut them up on the field.

Paulwny
09-16-2004, 08:13 AM
LOL! Then maybe the husband took part of the blow from the chair. Francisco is a relief pitcher who was down in the BP...

Well. I guess I can LOL. Heard /saw on ESPN, Francisco's lawyer Minkoff, " He was in the dugout and went out there to defend his mates".

Mickster
09-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Math is a skill too. You're out of your mind if you think nickel and dime health insurance claims have a substantial impact on premiums, while billions of dollars worth of damage awards have no effect at all. (Tell it to the asbestos industry.) She got a broken nose, not liver cancer. Broken noses are not an unexpected loss that would increase the premium on even an individual health insurance policy.

Your "number of claims" argument is equally ridiculous. Like I said, the health insurance carrier will need to process the claim in any event. Allowing them to recover the loss from a third-party carrier actually increases the number of claims dramatically.
What are you saying that is different than what I stated previously? Maurice, please show me where I indicated that nickel and dime claims have a substantial impact. While you are at it, show me where I claimed that "billions of dollars worth of damage awards have no effect [on premums] at all." Stop putting words in my mouth and try reading my posts carefully before using your keyboard in a feeble attempt at a response. :?:

maurice
09-16-2004, 02:13 PM
What are you saying that is different than what I stated previously?
If you agree with what I've said, then stop replying. You got your panties in a bunch because BC/BS might have to pay for a broken nose. Nobody else gives a flying ****, because there's no significant impact on anybody . . . which is what I've been saying since my first post in this thread.

Maurice, please show me where I indicated that nickel and dime claims have a substantial impact.
If you concede that small claims have no substantial impact, your entire point about health insurance premiums was a waste of bandwith entirely unrelated to the topic of this thread (a broken nose caused by a flying chair).

While you are at it, show me where I claimed that "billions of dollars worth of damage awards have no effect [on premums] at all."
You wrote an entire post claiming that large punitive damage awards do not affect insurance premiums, citing California as an example. That antithetical proposition may or may not be true, but it's illogical to believe that the cumulative effect of large punitive damages awards is no big deal, while simultaneously expressing concern about the financial burden imposed by the medical costs related to a broken nose.

BTW, California is a particularly bad example, since it is illegal for an insurance company to indemnify a California insured for harm caused by an intentional act. Thus, the imposition of punitive damage caps was not likely to have any effect on premiums, since insurance companies were not paying those claims anyway. But, then again . . .

:whocares

Mickster
09-16-2004, 02:44 PM
If you agree with what I've said, then stop replying. You got your panties in a bunch because BC/BS might have to pay for a broken nose. Nobody else gives a flying ****, because there's no significant impact on anybody . . . which is what I've been saying since my first post in this thread.Wow, a bit of revisionist history here..... You came posting in this thread a bit late, page 4, if I am correct. Someone's panties certainly are in a bunch. I wear boxers so they must be yours.

If you concede that small claims have no substantial impact, your entire point about health insurance premiums was a waste of bandwith entirely unrelated to the topic of this thread (a broken nose caused by a flying chair).An individual claim certainly has no substantial impact. Only an imbicle would think so. Many "small and insignificant" claims add up quickly, which, in turn, raises premiums for a particular group. Just the facts. Accept them if you wish. There is a waste of bandwith here, certainly not from my keyboard though.

You wrote an entire post claiming that large punitive damage awards do not affect insurance premiums, citing California as an example. That antithetical proposition may or may not be true, but it's illogical to believe that the cumulative effect of large punitive damages awards is no big deal, while simultaneously expressing concern about the financial burden imposed by the medical costs related to a broken nose.I will certainly ask you to re-read the post. Do your best attempt at comprehending what is written, then read it once more. Repeat it out loud few times so that it might sink in. In fact, here is my post in it's entirety:

Theoretically, I couldn't agree with you more. Realistically, though, it is not the case. Part of the reason that "caps" with respect to damages in the American legal system are the hot political issue it the insurance companies and their lobby insists that massive lawsuit recoveries are the reasons for high insurance premiums, etc... This could be farther from the truth. In California, for example, "caps" exist and have done so for years with respect to medical malpractice claims. Recoveries for punitive damages are capped at $250K. After 10 years of "caps", the result in CA is a net 33% increase in physician's malpractice premuims over the national average!!! The insurance industry's claim is absurd.Now, a 10 year old child would be able to deduce the point of my post: medical malpractice insurance premiums increase regardless of a "cap" on punitive damages. No where in my post do I even allude to the proposition that "...the cumulative effect of large punitive damages awards is no big deal..." Got it? Good.

Specifically, this post was in reply to Randar's claim that:
.... but "damages" and liability claims that result in huge sum's of money being paid out far and above the costs of care are what drives healthcare costs and insurance up, not to mention the bureaucracy which raises the costs of pharmaceuticals and medical equipment.Talk about sticking your nose in another's conversation......

BTW, California is a particularly bad example, since it is illegal for an insurance company to indemnify a California insured for harm caused by an intentional act. Thus, the imposition of punitive damage caps was not likely to have any effect on premiums, since insurance companies were not paying those claims anyway. But, then again . . .Wow. The fly ball went right over your head on this one as well. What do "caps" on punitive damages for California medical malpractice claims (used in my example) have anything whatsoever to do with indemnifying a California insured caused by an intentional act? Huh? :?:

maurice
09-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Wow, a bit of revisionist history hereDude, you're out of your freaking mind. You went off on a rant about the finer points of insurance. I corrected a couple of things and noted that a broken nose is not significant. You agreed with all my corrections but threw a hissy fit, nonetheless.

medical malpractice insurance premiums increase regardless of a "cap" on punitive damages.No ****. So does the price of a gallon of milk. It's called inflation. Insurance premiums are affected by other things too, including the 2001 stock market drop . . . all of which has absolutely nothing to do with a woman getting hit in the nose with a chair at a baseball game.

What do "caps" on punitive damages for California medical malpractice claims (used in my example) have anything whatsoever to do with indemnifying a California insured caused by an intentional act? Huh? :?:An accurate understanding of liabilty insurance coverage law clearly is beyond your grasp. Go post your question on an insurance board. This one's for baseball. If you insist on continuing your threadjack, knock yourself out. Nobody's listening. (Thanks for the "ignore" feature, West.)

:dtroll:

Mickster
09-17-2004, 09:29 AM
No ****. So does the price of a gallon of milk. It's called inflation. Insurance premiums are affected by other things too, including the 2001 stock market drop . . . all of which has absolutely nothing to do with a woman getting hit in the nose with a chair at a baseball game.Inflation? Wow. All this time, I was expecting the price of milk to drop..... Thank's for schooling me in the finer points of economics.... Next you're gonna tell me that you speak of the pompitous of love........

http://www.tvdance.com/chrisfarley/images/5a.gif
"I'm Stupid..Stupid..Stupid...."

Fenway
07-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Pitcher gets time for fan's broken nose
Rangers' Francisco pleads no contest
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/07/01/BAG33DHLEA1.DTL

As Hawk would say He Gone
Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer (hlee@sfchronicle.com)
Friday, July 1, 2005

http://sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/07/01_t/ba_rangers_fan_fight_t.gif (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2005/07/01/BAG33DHLEA1.DTL&o=0)

Printable Version (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/07/01/BAG33DHLEA1.DTL&type=printable)
Email This Article (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/07/01/BAG33DHLEA1.DTL&type=friend&emailcolor=%239D497D&origin=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi%3Ff%3D%2Fc%2Fa%2F2005%2F07%2F01%2FBAG3 3DHLEA1.DTL)
Texas Rangers pitcher Frank Francisco was sentenced to 30 days in jail in the Lone Star State on Thursday after pleading no contest to tossing a chair that broke a fan's nose at McAfee Coliseum.

munchman33
07-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Pitcher gets time for fan's broken nose
Rangers' Francisco pleads no contest
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/07/01/BAG33DHLEA1.DTL

As Hawk would say He Gone
Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer (hlee@sfchronicle.com)
Friday, July 1, 2005

http://sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/07/01_t/ba_rangers_fan_fight_t.gif (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2005/07/01/BAG33DHLEA1.DTL&o=0)

Printable Version (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/07/01/BAG33DHLEA1.DTL&type=printable)
Email This Article (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/07/01/BAG33DHLEA1.DTL&type=friend&emailcolor=%239D497D&origin=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi%3Ff%3D%2Fc%2Fa%2F2005%2F07%2F01%2FBAG3 3DHLEA1.DTL)
Texas Rangers pitcher Frank Francisco was sentenced to 30 days in jail in the Lone Star State on Thursday after pleading no contest to tossing a chair that broke a fan's nose at McAfee Coliseum.

He got off light. There's no excuse for that sort of behaviour. I consider his actions on par with, if not worse than, those of Ron Artest.