PDA

View Full Version : Twin Cities Media Take on Sox

LincolnSquareOz
09-14-2004, 08:38 AM
http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/4979531.html

My cousin sent me this link to an article from the Twins beat writer. It's nothing that you haven't heard before. Same old song and dance.

I have to admit that the Everett/Dougie Baseball interaction at 1B during last season's final series still bothers me...

9. In a decisive September game, have one of your imports (Everett) tell the Twins' first baseman (Doug Mientkiewicz, last year) that "It's over." During the game. While leading off first base.

It's that kind of competitive spirit, that kind of confidence, that the White Sox have imbued in their players.

Don't worry about the future, White Sox fans. Players like Alomar and Everett can bring you four or five competitive months of baseball every year.

The Sox can throw a huge monkeywrench into Santana's Cy Young hopes if they can jump on him. I'm calling a CLee dinger right now.

Bobby Thigpen
09-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Pursue big names who are past their prime. You've acquired Everett (twice), Alomar (twice), Freddy Garcia, Wells, Contreras...
Why is Garcia on that list? Last I checked he was a little young to be saying he was past his prime.

Tekijawa
09-14-2004, 09:05 AM
The Sox can throw a huge monkeywrench into Santana's Cy Young hopes if they can jump on him. I'm calling a CLee dinger right now.
I'm calling a 14K No-Hitter highlighted by Konerko poping up to Santana in the top of the 9th and running down towards first with his head down.... as usual

Jjav829
09-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Why is Garcia on that list? Last I checked he was a little young to be saying he was past his prime.
No idea. The writer obviously doesn't know too much about Freddy.

I really wish we weren't going to have Everett next year. I'll admit I liked the trade when it happened. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I wish he was gone.

soxtalker
09-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately, there's an awful lot in that article that rings a bit too close to true. Oh, not everything, but enough.

Jerko
09-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Freddy Garcia is past his prime in the eyes of people who cover a team that had Terry Mulholland in the rotation? Not even worth listening to or getting upset over IMO.

minastirith67
09-14-2004, 10:23 AM
No idea. The writer obviously doesn't know too much about Freddy.

I really wish we weren't going to have Everett next year. I'll admit I liked the trade when it happened. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I wish he was gone.
Me too, unless he comes back having lost some weight and in shape, with a quicker swing. Valentin could use a quicker swing too, that is if he came back...

shagar69
09-14-2004, 11:29 AM
contreras isnt past his prime either! this is only his second big league season!

shagar69
09-14-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm calling a 14K No-Hitter highlighted by Konerko poping up to Santana in the top of the 9th and running down towards first with his head down.... as usualwouldt be surprised at all. santana is awesome. i just love to watch him

SOXSINCE'70
09-14-2004, 11:44 AM
The Sox can throw a huge monkeywrench into Santana's Cy Young hopes if they can jump on him. I'm calling a CLee dinger right now.He hit one off Santana in a 2-1 victory in June.But after sweeping the Twins at the Dome, the Sox got swept by the crybabies of the North Side.And that's where the season officially started to go into the toilet.2 out of 3 here wouldn't be bad.Hey,the pressure's on the Twinks,not the Sox.The Sox always play better when the pressure's off.Witness 2001,'02,'03 and now '04.The Sox choke under pressure every bleeping time.It never fails.:(: :(: :(:

OurBitchinMinny
09-14-2004, 03:21 PM
A writer for the pioneer press (charley walters if you ever read it who is always full of crap) wrote that he figured the twins would be five games better if joe mauer had played making their lead even more insurmountable. Dont know how he did the math on that one. I emailed him and asked him if he had crunched the #'s on how many games better the white sox if frank and maggs had not gone down. He emailed back and said they hadnt won the last two years with them. I dont understand how a rookie catcher with less than 100 ABs is a bigger loss than two potential HOFers, but I must not be smart enough to be a Twins cities media member i guess

jshanahanjr
09-15-2004, 11:05 AM
I emailed the writer about the loss of Franks and Maggs, but I haven't heard back yet. The Sox would be right there if they didn't go down. By the way, I hate Tori "Spelling" Hunter!

Lip Man 1
09-15-2004, 11:39 AM
To the victors belong the spoils...

The Sox (and their fans) need to shut up, stop being concerned about the 'media,' spend a ton of money and actually win something.

When they do they can stick it up the Twins rear ends.

I was embarassed by Buehrle's comments today in the Daily Southtown. The make the Sox look petty and vindictive. The Twins are going to the playoffs for the third year in a row, something the Sox have never done in over 100 years of baseball.

Granted the Twins will probably get beat in the first round but at least they are in the post season and as so many of the stat geeks have said on these boards, 'anything can happen in a short series...'

The Twins will have finished better then the Sox for four straight seasons now. That is NOT a fluke, that's not luck. It's time for this organization (and fans) to deal with it.

Lip

bluestar
09-15-2004, 03:31 PM
I thought Buerhle's comments were petty as well. They sounded like sour grapes.

With Santana and Radke pitching in a short series, I actually like the Twins' chances, although Radke has had problems in the post season in the past. I could see them at least getting to the ALCS.

ja1022
09-15-2004, 03:56 PM
contreras isnt past his prime either! this is only his second big league season!Officially he is going to be 33 in December, but that could be in Danny Almonte years which would really make him about 51.

alohafri
09-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Granted the Twins will probably get beat in the first round but at least they are in the post season

Lip
As someone from another board would say, this isn't the goal of the exercise.